Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E00 Christmas Special 2023

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Blackie said:

I missed that, but maybe she meant pineapple since that is what was in the food hamper brought to the air force man. All I thought was I hope the has a sharp knife. 

Pineapple was mentioned separately, so was included in the list with “pine nut”, but thanks for the suggestion. The mention of “a pine nut” perplexed me so much, I had to rewind to catch up with what I missed. I began to think it was some canned item containing pine nuts, but still couldn’t imagine what. 

19 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Mr. Sharma's story resonated with me as well, as my dad was a bomber navigator in WWII, flying missions out of England. For an idea of what these brave men endured during their missions, check out "Masters of the Air" coming to Apple TV in late January.  

My dad enlisted late, due to his young age, and trained as a B17 pilot. I have his flight training logs. After relatively short training, he was sent to the west coast, on a ship headed to the South Pacific. Before the ship left port, the Japanese surrendered (else I probably wouldn’t be here!).

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Daff said:

Pineapple was mentioned separately, so was included in the list with “pine nut”, but thanks for the suggestion. The mention of “a pine nut” perplexed me so much, I had to rewind to catch up with what I missed. I began to think it was some canned item containing pine nuts, but still couldn’t imagine what. 

FWIW, the subtitles had her saying "pineapple."  I think she kind of swallowed the final syllable.  

• Like 1
On 12/29/2023 at 5:31 AM, Daff said:

My dad enlisted late, due to his young age, and trained as a B17 pilot. I have his flight training logs. After relatively short training, he was sent to the west coast, on a ship headed to the South Pacific. Before the ship left port, the Japanese surrendered (else I probably wouldn’t be here!).

I've read that the life expectancy of those pilots was extremely short and I think any old men sitting in an office deciding that those who balked at going, "lacked moral fiber," should have been the next to go up.

My dad was on a ship headed to Japan when the war ended and he has a vivid memory of how the ocean looked when the great ship made a U-Turn.  We're both lucky to be here!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Do the new episodes start in US January or later?  Last year I think it was March. I know the tabloids were noting Trixie's hubby missing from filming but time will tell with that. I was a little put off by it at first, but contracts and other things we don't know about will be the deciding factor. I love the show with him or without him but it does bring gossip when a big tadoo is done and then the headlines.

I always love the Xmas special and it brings me down from the activities and stress if any from the day, my sister and I send texts about the plot and they are my TV friends. Sure there are things to complain about but for me little and compared to most TV shows, none. : )

• Like 3
On 12/27/2023 at 7:18 PM, Notabug said:

Colette is too young to fend for herself overnight.  Who gets up with her if she's sick?  Who gets her ready and off to school in the morning?  Or helps with her homework and puts her to bed in the evenings if Nancy is working?  What happens on weekends and holidays when Nancy works? 

::shrug:: Isn’t Colette 8 or 9? That seems old enough to manage most things occasionally with a bit of supervision. Surely she can dress herself and get her pjs on and such, as long as someone is there to read a story and tuck her in or make her a sandwich and bring her to school. She can be in the bedroom alone; it’s not like she’s alone in the house.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Shermie said:

::shrug:: Isn’t Colette 8 or 9? That seems old enough to manage most things occasionally with a bit of supervision. Surely she can dress herself and get her pjs on and such, as long as someone is there to read a story and tuck her in or make her a sandwich and bring her to school. She can be in the bedroom alone; it’s not like she’s alone in the house.

I personally found the scene where she was present when the midwives and Dr. Turner  were discussing Sr. Monica Joan somewhat unrealistic for the time period.  Obviously, it was done so she could tell them about Sr. Monica Joan's reminisces.

But I think a better way would have been for her to have told Nancy about it when they  were in their room.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, debraran said:

Do the new episod

Season 13 not until March on PBS, I looked it up because I thought I saw something advertised for new episodes next week but that is All Creatures G&S

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tvrox said:

So the big Colette nosebleed story during the wedding was just fixed like that? Or will it come up again as something more serious? 

They are still talking about it, wasn't she at the table with kleenex up her nose? I don't like another child sick episode especially the only child of one of the midwives but time will tell. They did leukemia already, I just hope it's nosebleeds but showing it, gave me pause.

Edited by debraran

During the episode, Collette was taken for a cauterization procedure which Sr. V proclaimed “almost always” successful. After, she was shown with tissue apparently healing. 

• Like 2

I am speculating that Phyllis’s scenes were all filmed separately from the others. There were no scenes with anyone else. When she was with Sr. MJ, it was cut back and forth between the two and when she was taking pictures, you only saw her taking them or her arm when she did the group shot.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Daff said:

During the episode, Collette was taken for a cauterization procedure which Sr. V proclaimed “almost always” successful. After, she was shown with tissue apparently healing. 

Yeah that's what I thought was strange. All that fuss in the last episode and then just a simple cauterization procedure? I feel like there's a bigger story coming up with it. I hope not leukemia though. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yes and they better not sucker punch with something else. Nose bleeds can be common with kids and they did the blood disease already. Don't make the single mom have the sick kid....but that doesn't seem the CTM writing usually. They aren't soap opera which I appreciate. How they handle Matthew.....time will tell. I already forgot about Lucille and hope they keep Cyril and slowly just have them divorce and move on.

• Like 3
On 12/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, Orcinus orca said:

I know is an UO, but I like Sr. MJ as well.  And while I didn't like Phyllis at first, I adore her now.

I am not invested in Colette and her mom, though. 

I agree on all counts.

• Like 4
On 12/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, Badger said:

FWIW, the subtitles had her saying "pineapple."  I think she kind of swallowed the final syllable.  

Well, if writing closed captions was left up to my phone, every other word would be out of place. For example, my phone typed 'when today' after I said, "wintry day". Then when I said "I have a potluck stew" I got "' have no potlucks too'. SMH

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Chalby said:

Well, if writing closed captions was left up to my phone, every other word would be out of place. For example, my phone typed 'when today' after I said, "wintry day". Then when I said "I have a potluck stew" I got "' have no potlucks too'. SMH

In the season 11 episode where Lucille had her miscarriage, the PBS subtitles had Phyllis telling her "I'll see to Mrs. Heslop and to Mister."  in the BBC subtitles, "Mister' was changed to "Miss."  Both made sense since Miss was obviously referring to their newborn daughter and "Mister" to Mister Heslop who was eager and well-meaning, but not always helpful.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Both made sense since Miss was obviously referring to their newborn daughter and "Mister" to Mister Heslop who was eager and well-meaning, but not always helpful.

Do you mean to say I shared a personal story about my horrible talk to texting experiences, and there wasn't even a badly typed closed caption? Lol

• LOL 2

I was thinking about starting a couple of threads. Maybe one about our favorite  [something] like "our favorite birth scenes" and maybe an "unpopular opinions" thread. The show returns to PBS on March 17 and I thought this could be a good way to get ready for that.

• Like 1