Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: A Night at the Symphony

jenrising
  • Start Topic

Reacher and his team head to Boston to track down a political aide with insider knowledge of a top secret military-defense contract that may be the reason behind their friends’ deaths.

Available 12/22 on Prime Video

Finely!  I was wondering if they would find a way to get one of the Margrave folks here!  Great seeing Malcolm Goodwin again, although I was bummed he didn't get any significant screen time with Serinda Swan or Dominck Lombardozzi, so we could have a mini-Breakout Kings reunion!

Looks like the idea of Swan being in league with the bad guys is at least being brought up within the show.  Not sure how this will play out.  I don't see them making Reacher be wrong, so I'm guessing he won't be bad, but something clearly went down, and I suspect there will be more to it.

Okay, having some commitment issues is one thing.  But not reusing shirts because you worry it would lead to you suddenly settling down and having something resemble a domestic life is a whole special brand of paranoia, Reacher!

I don't agree with O'Donnell on everything, but both Dixon and Neagley did look great in those dresses.

Langston/Robert Patrick really needs to find a better outsource for his henchmen/hitman needs.  And I really doubt trying to make some kind of deal with Reacher has a remote chance of working out.

• Like 3

So would Lieutenant Finley's appearance be classified as a secret guest star or a cameo? Given the talk of folks referencing the books I wasn't expecting what would have been a normal TV series occurrence.

A second hired crew told to keep the murders quiet, as if a veteran's reunion massacred by a motorcycle club could be kept quiet. With all the Terminator homages the series has had when the gang member collected the guns into her satchel I was reminded of Frosty in Aliens collecting the rifle magazines before those Marines went into the powerplant.

The killer line had to be when Langston decided to offer the carrot after the second failure of the big stick and was going to give Reacher anything he wanted to hear "I want to throw you out of a helicopter"

• Like 2

The ladies looked fantastic,  it was wonderful seeing Finley again. I'm guessing that's movie TV then book.

I'm guessing Swan isn't bad, they won't let Reacher be wrong but, I'm not sure if he's dead.

I can't tell if Dixon dies by the end or if Reacher/Dixon just part ways. They're obviously in to each other but, Reacher is a Nomad and for some reason seems impossible to settle down. 

I wonder if the 650 at 100K isn't money but distance or speed something? 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1

Finely was a nice addition - I had forgotten that he had interactions with Neagley in the first season.

The writers are hammering away at how much O'Donnell has changed from a complete player to a family man, but Reacher can't fathom Swan changing... Seems anvillicious.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, mledawn said:

Finely was a nice addition - I had forgotten that he had interactions with Neagley in the first season.

The writers are hammering away at how much O'Donnell has changed from a complete player to a family man, but Reacher can't fathom Swan changing... Seems anvillicious.

In fairness, it's easier to envision/make a change from cynical womanizer to whipped family man than it is from dedicated military investigator who served with honor and integrity to sellout who is complicit in the murder of three of his friends and the agonizing dehydration death of his dog and a terrorist plot.

As others have posted, I think Reacher's gut is supposed to be basically infallible, so I tend to doubt that Swan is guilty. But it would potentially take the series in a new direction if Reacher were able to make mistaken deductions/assumptions.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In fairness, it's easier to envision/make a change from cynical womanizer to whipped family man than it is from dedicated military investigator who served with honor and integrity to sellout who is complicit in the murder of three of his friends and the agonizing dehydration death of his dog and a terrorist plot.

As others have posted, I think Reacher's gut is supposed to be basically infallible, so I tend to doubt that Swan is guilty. But it would potentially take the series in a new direction if Reacher were able to make mistaken deductions/assumptions.

Yes, I agree. Lots of single guys are cynical womanizers before they meet someone special and/or have kids. That's more of a lifestyle pivot than going from being a good guy to getting your friends and dog killed.  

BUT I am still thinking something is off with O'Donnell. I just can't put my finger on it, especially when he said he gave his kids his burner cell. Was that just to show how dedicated he is to his family? It seemed like poor judgment on his part.

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

BUT I am still thinking something is off with O'Donnell. I just can't put my finger on it, especially when he said he gave his kids his burner cell. Was that just to show how dedicated he is to his family? It seemed like poor judgment on his part

Good point, something felt off by that scene as well. It's possible he could be revealed to be a traitor.

• Like 2

I agree with the thoughts that O'Donnell is not all he is saying he is. Has anyone even heard his kids voices, like on speaker phone? Do we know for sure that's even who he's talking to? And, he could have still been the one to trash Neagley's hotel room and just played it off that he found it like that. Although that would be two seasons in a row where someone we thought we could trust turned out to be a traitor, I hope the show isn't that much by the numbers.

One another more shallow note, if they do want to go by the numbers, I hope they find a reason to put Reacher in a suit every season, the man cleans up well.

So great seeing Finley again!

• Like 3

(Late to the party!)

Nice to see Finely! And quite unexpected. Reacher is a real loner. He befriends those he meets as he travels and when he moves on, he says farewell and doesn't look back. Even his good friend and comrade Neagley appears in only about 15% of cases. So I'm glad Finlay put in an appearance (and think it was a better choice than Roscoe, given that Reacher has a new "love interest"). 

Good episode. Langston appears a little out of his depth here, as has been hinted at before, by Azhari Mahmoud. He did offer to give Reacher what ever he wanted and was probably a little perturbed to discover exactly what that was, but I think Reacher will achieve that goal without any help from him.

I don't believe any of the old team are dirty.  They may be embellishing or withholding facts about their present lives from their old colleague (do we have any actual evidence that Neagley is doing so well she can finance the entire operation with a "don't worry about paying me back" attitude, and for several days, back and forth across the entire country?) but that can be innocent. It's not as if padding your résumé when having a reunion with old friends is completely unheard of.

• Like 2
On 12/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought it had been shown to be a weapons sale. But I only half watch this so may have missed things and made an assumption.

3 hours ago, Megras said:

I thought it had been shown to be a weapons sale. But I only half watch this so may have missed things and made an assumption.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think there may have been a conversation between Robert Patrick and the comic reading assassin but, I can't remember 

On 12/23/2023 at 9:07 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought they figured out that the new super missile, that 650 of them had failed. I don't remember the exact scene, but it was related to the page of numbers.

Maybe they didn't really fail, but were actually "misappropriated", and were being sold for the 100K.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:47 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Okay, having some commitment issues is one thing.  But not reusing shirts because you worry it would lead to you suddenly settling down and having something resemble a domestic life is a whole special brand of paranoia, Reacher!

that line about the suitcase leading to the house leading to... is taken directly from one of the books (if not repeated more than once)

On 12/23/2023 at 2:47 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I don't agree with O'Donnell on everything, but both Dixon and Neagley did look great in those dresses.

personally I thought the boobs were a bit unsupported. And as a sometimes attendee of the Met Opera, which is at least as fancy pants as the Boston Symphony, the vast majority of women do not wear evening gowns to attend. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever SEEN an evening gown. Dress clothes yes. Gowns and tuxedos, no (unless it's an opening night gala).

On 12/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Good episode, except the part where Reacher finds a perfectly tailored suit right off the rack. 

yeah my husband has the opposite problem- much more slender than the vast majority of men, and his size is NOT on the rack. I'm sure Reacher would have the same problem.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 12/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Good episode, except the part where Reacher finds a perfectly tailored suit right off the rack. 🙄

I was thinking the same. With his build he would have to have his suits tailored to fit. He looked fantastic though! 

On 12/23/2023 at 1:47 AM, thuganomics85 said:

They both looked beautiful. I've noticed Dixon tends to show cleavage even in casual clothes. I guess this is a bonus for  some of the viewers. My husband certainly appreciates it. 

Don't mean to nitpick but I find it hard to believe they could've held off that motorcycle gang so easily, especially the two women against the men. Seemed more of a TV moment to me. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

They both looked beautiful. I've noticed Dixon tends to show cleavage even in casual clothes. I guess this is a bonus for  some of the viewers. My husband certainly appreciates it.

It doesn't help for forensic accounting but if you are trying to get the attention of your ex boss who is now ethically free to do... things.

1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

Don't mean to nitpick but I find it hard to believe they could've held off that motorcycle gang so easily, especially the two women against the men. Seemed more of a TV moment to me.

No more unbelievable than most of Reacher's one on many fights over the last season and a half

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

It doesn't help for forensic accounting but if you are trying to get the attention of your ex boss who is now ethically free to do... things.

No more unbelievable than most of Reacher's one on many fights over the last season and a half

Well it's more believable with this version of Reacher than the one played by Tom Thumb. 

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I actually thought they did a reasonable job showing the women fighting the men. They both struggled, Neagley got hurt and, Dixon almost got killed until she used her Stiletto to take down her opponent.

• Like 1