Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E03: Nate Bargatze / Foo Fighters

• Start Topic

Thanks for posting the link to the dress rehearsal. Clarence Thomas in the CO sounds like it was pretty funny. I'm trying to imagine if the CO would have been better with Joe talking to Jill. The show obviously didn't think so since they cut it.

• Like 1

As a big fan of Nate's I enjoyed the show overall. As a scientist the measurements bit cracked me up the most. 

I fast forwarded through Sarah's WU bit without even trying to see if it was funny. I'm old and have watched SNL from the beginning. I've never had an aversion to a cast member like I have to her. Yet I keep trying to give her a chance. I think I'm giving up now. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I was cracking up through most of the episode and I think it was the best one of the season (so far). While I want the strike to end, I'm loving the variety of hosts we're getting in the interim. 

Yes. 

Foo Fighters can do no wrong.

Lake Beach... omg this hit so hard. When I moved from Long Beach, CA to Atlanta, my new friends tried to sell me on how amazing this beach they go to was and how much fun I'd have. Yea, no. It was literally a little patch of sand and rock in the Chattahoochee. So gross. 100% looked like the Lake Beach in the video. Everyone knows the pacific ocean is gross, but I don't have to walk through it to get to the "beach", I can look at it while sitting on the sand.

We have those ridiculous, idiotic things called Lake beaches here too. Coming from a place that had actual beaches, real beaches with sand and an ocean. This is an abomination. The first time I saw it I’m like people just go to a lake and sit on the grass right off the road and call This a beach?  it’s nothing like a beach,  it’s the hillbilly version of the beach. I suspect it is just as fun as what they showed in the skit. I’ve never been, and I never will.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I fast forwarded through Sarah's WU bit without even trying to see if it was funny. I'm old and have watched SNL from the beginning. I've never had an aversion to a cast member like I have to her. Yet I keep trying to give her a chance. I think I'm giving up now. 

Sarah is so, so loud and obnoxious, and if you notice, she has to read her cue cards so obviously each time she's in a skit, even if she has few lines. I don't know how she remained in the cast this season.

Edited by Kenz
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 10/29/2023 at 10:04 AM, peeayebee said:

It was weird, however, that Miss Maddie had absolutely no lines.

Miss Maddie did have several lines (the first was something like "whoever made this knew what SHE was doing") -- she just didn't say anything when Heidi did the introductions.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:09 PM, saoirse said:

The George Washington sketch about killed me. 

The jokes were very good but I was somewhat distracted by the fact that the premise suggested that the U.S.A. would *invent* imperial measurements and no one was already familiar with them during the Revolutionary War. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Miss Maddie did have several lines (the first was something like "whoever made this knew what SHE was doing") -- she just didn't say anything when Heidi did the introductions.

Wow, really? I'll need to watch that again because I thought she was introduced and then never seen again.

13 hours ago, BC4ME said:

As a big fan of Nate's I enjoyed the show overall. As a scientist the measurements bit cracked me up the most. 

I generally like Sarah and even I don't have any use for these pieces anymore. Haven't for a while. I know the Update desk has repetitive characters, but I don't know how many more ways there are to yell about Jost being a racist or a pervert. 

Early on Sarah did sort of weird sketches and pre-tapes. I know they are an acquired taste, but I'd much rather see those than what she's been doing this past year or so (the Jost stuff and interchangeable drag roles).

• Like 3
On 10/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, Crashcourse said:

I had heard of the Foo Fighters, but never listened to them until last night.  That first song they banged gave me a mild headache.  I didn't stick around to listen to the second one.

Neither song they played was very good.  I like a lot of their hits but what was this crap?

Who was on drums, replacing Taylor?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Neither song they played was very good.  I like a lot of their hits but what was this crap?

Who was on drums, replacing Taylor?

Josh Freese. He was brought in May 2023 to replace Taylor.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 5:19 PM, SeanBug said:

What about 1,000 pounds? Nope. 

Is there kicking? A little bit. 

I wondered how much he helped write this sketch, it sounds like stuff he would do in his stand up.  I have been a huge fan for years since I discovered him on a comedy podcast.  It's his dry delivery I think.  

I had heard he had a development deal with a network, but then Covid happened so it probably got shelved.  Dude played Radio City and hung out with Seinfeld, now he's hosting SNL. Could not happen to a nicer guy. 

Be sure and check out his specials on Amazon or Netflix. If you aren't in tears laughing at the Starbucks story, then I can't help you. 

That was definitely written by someone who's a fan of Nate, because it got his timing and emphasis on the joke down perfectly. I think the content is a little outside of Nate's wheelhouse (he mostly does more personal bits than macro concepts) but the observations were very much in line with how he delivers his humor.

I'm a big Nate fan, because I think he's one of the few who has cracked the code for observational comedy in the 21st century. He can do compare and contrast comedy, as a white male, since he paints himself as the one in the wrong because of his "I'm dumb" stage persona. It never comes off as mean spirited the way many others who try to do the same thing do. Other comedians all seem to absolutely love him too.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 11/1/2023 at 6:16 PM, Traveller519 said:

That was definitely written by someone who's a fan of Nate, because it got his timing and emphasis on the joke down perfectly. I think the content is a little outside of Nate's wheelhouse (he mostly does more personal bits than macro concepts) but the observations were very much in line with how he delivers his humor.

I'm a big Nate fan, because I think he's one of the few who has cracked the code for observational comedy in the 21st century. He can do compare and contrast comedy, as a white male, since he paints himself as the one in the wrong because of his "I'm dumb" stage persona. It never comes off as mean spirited the way many others who try to do the same thing do. Other comedians all seem to absolutely love him too.

The first time I heard him was on Dumb People Town podcast. (If you're not familiar, they read news stories about dumb people doing dumb stuff, some slightly criminal, etc). I think the story was a guy broke into a house wearing a ninja costume, and then hung around when the police showed up, in the costume. IIRC.  I was out for a run and I swear I stopped and was bent over from laughing, just from Nate's comments. 

His last stand up special on Amazon, he goes after his wife a little, regarding her meeting him on a golf course and being late, but most of the bit is him playing 3 holes with a driver.  But like he says, she knows everything he's going to say when it comes to their marriage.  He's never hurtful, but funny is funny. No matter who did what. 

Great article. I'm very surprised that Nate didn't have a hand in writing it because, as they said, it was his kind of humor. I also loved the Bad Bunny conquistador sketch, and was happy to read that Seidell wrote that one, too.

• Like 2

I feel like they did the article because everyone loved it and they were like “omg Nate Bergatze must have written this!”  And Streeter and Mikey Day needed to let people know that THEY were the writers.  I feel like Mikey in particular does this often, he likes to be sure he gets the credit. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I feel like Mikey in particular does this often, he likes to be sure he gets the credit. 

Mikey wouldn't need to do a story like this to get people to know he wrote it.  I'm not sure how it's published but there are websites that keep track of who wrote what.  It usually comes out a day or so after the show airs.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, I wouldn't put engineers over lawyers either though on average they've probably got higher IQs than lawyers.

I work in a court house.  I'd put a lot of things over lawyers now that I know how dumb some of them are.

I wasn't familiar with Nate Bargatze but I loved a lot of this show.  Especially the soul food competition and the General Washington/American weights skit.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is Hoda Kotb known to be a lush? Yikes on that little girl knocking back the wine while she went trick or treating as Hoda.

She and Kathie Lee used to always have wine on set for the third hour of the Today Show.  Not sure if they actually ever drank it, but that's what SNL was referencing.

On 10/30/2023 at 10:45 AM, chediavolo said:

We have those ridiculous, idiotic things called Lake beaches here too. Coming from a place that had actual beaches, real beaches with sand and an ocean. This is an abomination.

For those of us who do not live near the ocean, lake, pond and river "beaches" are a necessary thing.  Although we didn't actually call the river shore a "beach" when I was growing up, we just went there sometimes in the summer.  Fortunately it was a lot nicer than the lake beach in the skit.

• Useful 1