Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: My Big Fat Vacation Proposal

• Start Topic

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone with Comcast/Xfinity that my DVR did not automatically set for this episode like it has with other episodes and I had to set it manually.  The title of the show is off - It's down as "Whitney Thore - My Fabulous Life" instead of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life: My Big Fat Vacation Proposal".  It looks normal for the following week, though.

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone with Comcast/Xfinity that my DVR did not automatically set for this episode like it has with other episodes and I had to set it manually.  The title of the show is off - It's down as "Whitney Thore - My Fabulous Life" instead of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life: My Big Fat Vacation Proposal".  It looks normal for the following week, though.

Thank you! The same is true for DirecTV (AT&T).

Missed most of this til the vacation proposals- Whitney rode on Lenny's back into her proposal. Ok I don't get it. As a fat person, I do everything I can think of not to embarrass myself as a result of my weight -as the rest of the world will always be on the lookout for a reason to point and laugh at my size. Every fat person knows they're viewed with derision. Whitney must know this. Yet, she goes out of her way to put herself in situations where her weight can Only be a hindrance and used as a mechanism to mock her.   So, does she really not care? In which case, I'm jealous of her freedom. Or is she so clueless, she thinks its 'cute' or does she enjoy forcing everyone into close contact with her size in spite of their discomfort?  Its so bizarre to me.

• Like 7

I am so happy that Glen chose his own destination rather than be forced by Twit or Hunter. Of course Twit made it sound like such a dumb idea because Glen's reason was to see where the press was made.

I've been to Switzerland a couple of times and it is a gorgeous place to visit! We hiked in the mountains, rode trams that had beautiful views, and walked miles and miles through streets in several towns.  It is beautiful to look at the older buildings and all the scenery. Not sure why they end up choosing Winter to go what with the snow and all. Fall was when we went and it was a beautiful trip!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 5

I can't believe Lenny would voluntarily massage Whit's feet....ugh.   and when she wakes up to see what he's doing,  she drapes her whole body over him.   Like she's his girlfriend.   It's so presumptuous.   I guess Len has to do what she wants ,  to get paid.     Not to mention the camel riding?   Oh but remember,  she had no problem riding Lenny when they were together. 🤢

• Mind Blown 4

I really hope Glenn wanted to go to Switzerland and it wasn't just the producers' pick.  I think it could be quite enjoyable.  I was under the impression they were going either in spring or early summer during filming, not in the middle of winter.  Babs died in December, and this was around May when they were talking about the trip.  Also, why does Whit imply that they have to do everything at the last minute.  You know the producers have everything arranged and all they have to do is show up.

At least Hunter understood the assignment and made points to try to convince Glenn to choose Denmark.  Whit's presentation was ridiculous and no one could even figure out what country she was on about.  All she did was put Lennie at risk of a serious back injury and scream a lot.  Why does she continue to do things like this?  I was also disgusted when she acted so rude when Glenn said he wanted to see the printing press.  She admits that being a printer was his life's work but acts angry that he wants to see something that is an important part of printing history.  

I find her constant insistence that she has to find someone or she will die alone annoying.  I am a lot older than her and I don't have a significant other.  I'm fine with that because I have a lot of other things going on and dating is miserable.  I can't imagine having to deal with creepy fetish guys like she does.  On that I agree with her.  However, if she were a more pleasant person, she would have friends and maybe if she had hobbies she would meet someone that way.  I have a friend who met her husband through a hobby group.  They were friends for several years before they ever got into a relationship and they have been going strong for many years.

• Like 5

I'm over any of this show being real, including Glenn's choice of where to go on vacation.  I'm sure he'd love to see that printing machine but would that be his first choice of where to go?  I'm not convinced.  He might have been given a few choices that the show was willing to pay for, or that Whitney was OK with as well.  The rest of it was all drama for the show.  Sure, Whit would love to go to Morocco, but I doubt she really expected to go there.  

Lenny proves himself over and over again to be a "gun for hire".  He'll do anything for his boss including humiliate himself by having her "ride" him like a camel.  He must really need the money. 

And, in response to this quote:

On 10/31/2023 at 10:16 PM, Pi237 said:

Every fat person knows they're viewed with derision. Whitney must know this. Yet, she goes out of her way to put herself in situations where her weight can Only be a hindrance and used as a mechanism to mock her.   So, does she really not care? In which case, I'm jealous of her freedom. Or is she so clueless, she thinks its 'cute' or does she enjoy forcing everyone into close contact with her size in spite of their discomfort?  Its so bizarre to me.

Whitney is one of those brats that will say or do anything for attention even if it's negative attention.  She's one of those people that enjoys pressing people's buttons because it gets a strong response from them.  It's probably a pattern she got into in childhood.  Maybe the only time she felt truly "special" and the center of attention is when her parents were rolling their eyes at her and saying "Oh, Whitney".  And that's so important to her that she doesn't even care about what people will really think of her.  Any attention is better than no attention.  So now she just repeats that over and over again on the show with the audience in the role of her parents.

What gives her away as a liar on the dating front is that she talks like someone that's been completely unable to meet anyone aside from "fetish guys".  What about all the so-called "boyfriends" she's been associated with on the show, like Chase, Lenny, "The Frenchman", etc., etc.?  Supposedly they weren't "fetish guys", so why the defeatist attitude?  Oh, right, because all of THOSE guys weren't real boyfriends, just actors she paid to play the role of her boyfriend. 

I think she is serious about wanting a relationship, though.  Unfortunately she has to stop encouraging negative attention to attract a man and that's a destructive pattern she seems unable to stop.  Does she ever think that seeking therapy might be a good idea?  A lot of heavy people find love, but you have to get over whatever is making you your own worst enemy first.

• Like 7

So we're not going to acknowledge that Heather and Tal weren't at the birthday party?  Okay.

Before Whitney went out with the restaurant owner's son she made it very clear to us that he was too young for her and she knew it wasn't a date.  Since they hung out we've heard nothing but the "date" she had.

The whole presentation thing was stupid, but at least Hunter did a presentation.  Whitney put on a costume, tried to kill Lenny, informed Lenny he wasn't invited on the trip, and tried to kill him again on the way out.  Whatever they are paying Lenny, it's not enough.

Furthermore Hunter was right - she doesn't like hot temperatures, and she wouldn't like having to wear tops that cover her shoulders and upper arms either. You don't lounge around in a sports bra in public in North Africa.

Also:  of course Isaiah's friends talk about your butt. Everyone talks about your butt.  We've been doing it here on a semi-regular basis for years and none of us want to date you.

I've said it before but if she wants to meet a man organically she needs a job, a church, an organization or a hobby where she meets and gets to know people.  Everyone online thinks they deserve someone hot; people there who choose her will be doing it for her size.  Sorry but it's true.

Lastly, didn't Babs have another name?  Her parents just named a newborn baby Babs?  That seems weird.  And "America's Mom"?  Who do these guys think they are?🙄😄

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Babs is a nickname for Barbara. (Don't ask me how I know. 🙁)  I just did a quick google and yes, her given name was Barbara.

I suppose Babs is better than Barbie!!!😒

I've known women that called themselves Babs before whose real names were Barbara.  I guess they went with what she went by on the plaque instead of her given name.  Calling her "America's Mom" was a little much, though.  Just how many people actually watch the show and know who she is?  Probably not enough to warrant that name, but I think it was sweet anyway.

1 hour ago, princelina said:

Before Whitney went out with the restaurant owner's son she made it very clear to us that he was too young for her and she knew it wasn't a date.  Since they hung out we've heard nothing but the "date" she had.

After meeting him she kept talking later about how he didn't ask to see her again or for her number while talking about wanting her friends to set her up with someone and how difficult it is for her to meet someone, so no matter what impression she wanted to give beforehand I think she wished it could qualify as a date.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

After meeting him she kept talking later about how he didn't ask to see her again or for her number while talking about wanting her friends to set her up with someone and how difficult it is for her to meet someone, so no matter what impression she wanted to give beforehand I think she wished it could qualify as a date.

I guess she was trying to keep some dignity before the date, but as usual she is unable to maintain that stance 😄

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Babs is a nickname for Barbara. (Don't ask me how I know. 🙁)  I just did a quick google and yes, her given name was Barbara.

I suppose Babs is better than Barbie!!!😒

I have a friend whose full name is Barbie, and I've known her for so long it never even occurred to me to equate her name with the doll. I saw her at Halloween and of course there was a Barbie and Ken in attendance. She commented "no way in hell was I going to be a Barbie this year." I was so dense I thought she was talking about the popularity of the movie and forgot that Barbie is the same name as my friend and the popular toy.

(She dressed up as Cruella de Ville and had the most incredibly realistic makeup; she won best costume.)

• Like 2

It's terrible that this thought even occurs to me, but was that the REAL plaque?  It would normally read "Barbara ('Babs') Way Thore."  And "America's mom"; really???  Most would also mention that she was a mother as well as a wife.  Everything about this show is so fake that I just don't know anymore!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Dibs said:

It's terrible that this thought even occurs to me, but was that the REAL plaque?  It would normally read "Barbara ('Babs') Way Thore."  And "America's mom"; really???  Most would also mention that she was a mother as well as a wife.  Everything about this show is so fake that I just don't know anymore!

You may be terrible but you're not alone - I had the same thought!

• Like 2
On 11/3/2023 at 12:24 AM, princelina said:

The whole presentation thing was stupid, but at least Hunter did a presentation.  Whitney put on a costume, tried to kill Lenny, informed Lenny he wasn't invited on the trip, and tried to kill him again on the way out.  Whatever they are paying Lenny, it's not enough.

Lmao Amen! A lot of camels were breathing a sigh of relief when her trip idea didn’t happen.

And she was so jealous of her brother putting on a full act for his presentation. She had to keep interrupting him ‘is that an accent?’, trying to throw him off.  “Contempt!” I really liked him in that scene lol 

Whitneys weight might shorten her list of suitors, but if she’d shut her yap, stop verbally steamrolling over everyone, she might meet someone who falls for her and overlooks her size. She was doing well on her ‘date’ looked pretty, asked him about himself, but soon started talking over him, over sharing…I’m sure some of it’s insecurity, but I imagine she was twice as bad when she was thin and confident. Having to be the star of every event and conversation, sucking all the attention out of the room. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Don't ask me why, but I was thinking about the appetizer thing.  Why did she say he would only get one while she scarfed down the rest.  I have shared appetizers plenty of times and no one ever does that no matter how hungry they are or how much they like the particular appetizer.  It's just impolite.  It's not cute that she has so little self-control or social graces.

• Like 3

Yeah she also gave some silly line about "if he can't handle me like this he doesn't deserve me at my best" which is not a great first date philosophy

A clear indication that her loud, obnoxious behavior is trying to distract everyone (including herself) that she feels inferior and knows she  really hasn't succeeded in adulting.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1