Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E05: Just Bring the DARN Fish!

jewel21
  • Start Topic

It is finally time for the infamous Surf & Turf relay challenge where the chefs will taste and identify mystery proteins as quickly as possible. Some chefs ace the taste test while others crash and burn. The losers will have to break down entire salmons for dinner service while the winners spend some quality time with Chef Ramsay learning how to axe-throw. The evening's dinner service is attended by actor Dolph Lundgren, and singer/choreographer Paula Abdul.

Airdate: 10/26/2023

7 hours ago, preeya said:

the winners spend some quality time with Chef Ramsay 

learning how to axe-throw

WTF??

Amazon Video Sam GIF by Red Oaks

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

If I had the chance to spend quality time with Gordon (Yeah, that'll never happen, but STILL), I'd rather talk to him and learn from him about cooking, and yeah, have him show me how to cook dishes I've always wanted to learn how to cook! @seacliffsal knows wot I'm talking aboot!

That said, I'm a fairly good cook when it comes to Indian cooking (I'm Indian), but there are some dishes I can't cook or not so good at. To the point, I video'd my Mum cooking one of my faves when she was here last year, so I know what to do step by step. It's papad (lentil cracker) ki sabzi. It's easy peasy to make, but I never know when to add this or that. 

Anyhoo, that's what I would want. Not some lame axe-throwing "game" as a way to spend time with Gordon. Would rather pick his brain and talk to him about how he cooks and to show me. I'd rather hear his tips and advice.

But that's just me. Oh and to get him to call me "Dahling" too.

WOT?????

• Like 4

Axe-throwing would be my idea of nothing to do but my daughter did it once with a work group and said it was fun.  Gordon had axe-throwing on his Food Stars show too.  I noticed that they show him poised to throw and then an axe hitting the bull's-eye but you can't see who actually threw it.  :)

I'm glad he got rid of whatever her name was tonight.  She had one of the worst cases of lack of self-awareness I've ever seen.  Most of the red team aren't much better.

• Like 3

I thought Melissa was probably stronger than some of the remaining chefs but they wanted to be there more so I understood the decision.

Jason continues to be obnoxious like usual. Johnathan looks quite solid so far, he is a contender. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mlp said:

Axe-throwing would be my idea of nothing to do but my daughter did it once with a work group and said it was fun.  Gordon had axe-throwing on his Food Stars show too.  I noticed that they show him poised to throw and then an axe hitting the bull's-eye but you can't see who actually threw it.  :)

I don't get the popularity of axe throwing with the younger crowd these days.  That and that game with bags where you aim for the hole.  I don't even know what they call that one but I've seen both of these several times in the past few years on a few different reality shows.  They seem to me like old carnival or fair games that for some reason have recently become popular outside that setting as an easy and cheap way to make money in those mixed use "entertainment" complexes, but they were never even on my radar until very recently.  All I can say is "whatever'.   I scratch my head at the enthusiasm for something as banal as that.  Even a game of darts in a pub is more interesting.  AND, usually completely FREE, too!

On 10/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Anyhoo, that's what I would want. Not some lame axe-throwing "game" as a way to spend time with Gordon. Would rather pick his brain and talk to him about how he cooks and to show me. I'd rather hear his tips and advice.

No, it's definitely not just you!  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I don't know why the people doing the tasting and matching in the challenge were listening to their teammates telling them which dishes to pick.  How many of them got it right on their first guess but didn't pick it because their team told them to pick something else?

• Like 3
On 10/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

If I had the chance to spend quality time with Gordon (Yeah, that'll never happen, but STILL), I'd rather talk to him and learn from him about cooking, and yeah, have him show me how to cook dishes I've always wanted to learn how to cook! @seacliffsal knows wot I'm talking aboot!

WOT?????

It's crazy how well you know me!!!  But, if my only options were to spend time with Gordon throwing axes or not spend any time with him, I would so be embarassing myself trying to throw axes...

But, to watch him cook, filet, etc., is a thing of beauty!

Oh, and to add, Melissa thought her challenger performances would be enough to save her, but Gordon really is looking for someone to run the kitchen and that is what the dinner (breakfast, wedding reception, etc.) services show him.  Who can take the pressure, lead and help others, etc.  So, I think she prioritized the wrong aspect of the show.  Sure, he notices who is a good cook, but that's not the extent of what he is looking for in the winner.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Oh, and to add, Melissa thought her challenger performances would be enough to save her, but Gordon really is looking for someone to run the kitchen and that is what the dinner (breakfast, wedding reception, etc.) services show him.  Who can take the pressure, lead and help others, etc.  So, I think she prioritized the wrong aspect of the show.  Sure, he notices who is a good cook, but that's not the extent of what he is looking for in the winner.

Yes, he's always looking for a leader and in a round about way he told them exactly that at the end of the episode. That said, that is the reason Jason will never make it to the end.

• Like 2

I also loved how one of the guys (don't remember which one) was going on in his confessional about how the guys have won three challenges in a row.  Big whoop, you also lost a service in that time.  Services are a bit more important than challenges.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I have watched every episode of Hell's kitchen. I get a kick of how many of the "chefs" have such an overblown ego about how great their skills are. What a blast when you see them walk that walk out the door. I believe that the season taht Christina won was the best. You can see how far she has grown and advanced in Gordon's world!!! Plus she is a fantastic sous chef!!

On 10/25/2023 at 8:46 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Would rather pick his brain and talk to him about how he cooks and to show me. I'd rather hear his tips and advice.

WOT?????

Would you settle for other d- words, like "donkey" or "donut"?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I don't know why the people doing the tasting and matching in the challenge were listening to their teammates telling them which dishes to pick.  How many of them got it right on their first guess but didn't pick it because their team told them to pick something else?

On the other hand, some of the components were pretty obvious visually. I have no particular cooking talent or refined palate, but I know that if something is served on a half-shell, it's probably an oyster or maybe a clam. But despite help from their team and actually tasting it, the women had trouble figuring that out.

• Like 1

Yes, I get disguising the food to not make it easy to figure out what somethings were but I do think most of them would have been better off going with their own instincts and trying to block out the crowd.  For some of the newer more inexperienced cooks, I could maybe see listing to others but for the so-called pros?  That was a lot of time wasting.

Didn't get the ax throwing thing but whatever.  Jason is still a putz and Melissa lost the script.  Yes, Sarah has been in the bottom a couple of times but Melissa's whole "I'm better than the rest of them and I've won challenges" means nothing when you are helping tank dinner service and pouting.  Good riddance even if we are still stuck with Jason...  And Raneisha needs to chill out because she doesn't seem all that steady either.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

And Raneisha needs to chill out because she doesn't seem all that steady either.

I hope she leaves soon.  She has a terrible mouth on her, worse than the others, and a bad attitude.  I cringed when she said she has six kids.  I'll bet their teachers love them.

• Like 4

Oh, Come ON, NOW!

I We don't get to see Gordon show the red team how to slice and cut the right portions of Salmon and what they should look like before he and the blue team go an axe-a throwing???!

WOT?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, Come ON, NOW!

I We don't get to see Gordon show the red team how to slice and cut the right portions of Salmon and what they should look like before he and the blue team go an axe-a throwing???!

WOT?

I soooo share your disappointment!  Did they delete those scenes so we could get more of Renaisha yelling at people (Jason in this episode)?  Did they delete those scenes so that we could see more of Paula Abdul and Dophl Lundgren?  Did they delete those scenes so that we could watch every member of the blue team throw axes?  Or did they delete those scenes in order to disappoint GHScorpiosRule and me?  I think we may have the basis for a class action lawsuit...

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I soooo share your disappointment!  Did they delete those scenes so we could get more of Renaisha yelling at people (Jason in this episode)?  Did they delete those scenes so that we could see more of Paula Abdul and Dophl Lundgren?  Did they delete those scenes so that we could watch every member of the blue team throw axes?  Or did they delete those scenes in order to disappoint GHScorpiosRule and me?

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think we may have the basis for a class action lawsuit..

YES!!! I will have to look into this! I don’t see anything frivolous about it and in my line of work, I’ve seen more frivolous suits granted!

And Dhameer(sp??) can MISS me with his arrogance. This is is the same guy who cooked with boxed pasta in the first episode.

• LOL 3
On 10/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Corn hole.

Alternatively known as “bags”- oh, and it’s corn hole, because that’s what was traditionally inside the bags.  I think it’s become popular because sets are relatively cheap to get, basically any age group can play, and it’s practically impossible to get hurt doing it.  It’s basically the ideal backyard party game.  Axe throwing, by contrast, you generally only see at specialized ranges (like on the show), or maybe a Ren Faire.  I haven’t done it personally- but I imagine it’s fun because of the novelty of it.  You don’t otherwise get to play around with hatchets - otherwise, it’s basically just darts.

• Like 1