Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/02/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 2– The Political View with Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.)

Tuesday, Oct. 3 – Patrick Stewart (author, “Making It So”); Geri Halliwell-Horner (author, “Rosie Frost and the Falcon Queen”)

Wednesday, Oct. 4 – Leslie Odom Jr. (Broadway’s “Purlie Victorious”); Amy Schneider (author, “In the Form of a Question”)

Thursday, Oct. 5 – Nick Offerman (author, “Where the Deer and the Antelope Play”); Hilarie Burton Morgan (author, “Grimoire Girl: Creating an Inheritance of Magic and Mischief”)

Friday, Oct. 6 – “The View” celebrates Joy Behar’s birthday with the second annual Joy’s Tag Sale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is everyone else already sick of “Traylor?”  It reeks of publicity stunt to me too.

They are not pushing hard enough on Nancy Mace. (Until the second segment with her. Thank you, Whoopi.). They are letting her dominate the conversation with evasion and misinformation. And not correcting her on how to pronounce Kamala. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Is everyone else already sick of “Traylor?”  It reeks of publicity stunt to me too.

I watch football for football.  Let the entertainment media cover Taylor and her dating life.  Last week KC's QB was asked about Taylor and he answered the question.  It was during the post game interviews when game questions should be asked.  Frankly I find the non stop coverage ridiculous. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I watch football for football.  Let the entertainment media cover Taylor and her dating life.  Last week KC's QB was asked about Taylor and he answered the question.  It was during the post game interviews when game questions should be asked.  Frankly I find the non stop coverage ridiculous. 

well, i don't watch football and i don'ta care who Taylor dates

when i was sitting at a restaurant yesterday, there were 4 guys getting their drinks and they were talking about the romance, so apparently, there is some interest and even by people you would think wouldn't give a flip

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Mace is a piece of work.  Starts off all centrist "let's find common ground", then her mask falls off and she starts spreading lies about 9 month abortions in NY and CA.

Joy was sorely missed on that panel.

At least Whoopi kept trying to call her out on her bullshit, the rest of them just sat there like mannequins. 

• Like 12
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Mace is a piece of work.  Starts off all centrist "let's find common ground", then her mask falls off and she starts spreading lies about 9 month abortions in NY and CA.

As soon as she said it I groaned.  They will just not stop spreading this lie.

Mace can present herself as a moderate all she wants but she doesn't sound like one to me.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

At least Whoopi kept trying to call her out on her bullshit, the rest of them just sat there like mannequins. 

I doubt anyone could have gotten a word in, even if they wanted to. Whoopi doesn't subscribe to the concept of back-and-forth conversation when she has a point she wants to make. She just keeps talking over the other person until they stop trying. It is the rudest way to have an "interview". 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
31 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I doubt anyone could have gotten a word in, even if they wanted to. Whoopi doesn't subscribe to the concept of back-and-forth conversation when she has a point she wants to make. She just keeps talking over the other person until they stop trying. It is the rudest way to have an "interview". 

While there's been plenty of those types of interviews, in this case I think they gave Mace plenty of opportunity to talk and answer questions.   I also appreciated Whoopi pushing back when she said dems want to abort up to the 9 month.   And her asking follow up questions when she tried to side swipe Whoopi's push back.   

• Like 7
31 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

That has nothing to do with this particular "interview" which isn't such a thing when the other person keeps lying & won't answer direct questions but immediately goes back to the same lie. Mace just kept repeating the same bullshit and not answering the questions put to her, or is that not what she was there for? 

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Mace just kept repeating the same bullshit and not answering the questions put to her, or is that not what she was there for? 

Mace was there because she wants to be more well known.  I hope people watching saw her for who she really is.

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, Shrek said:

That has nothing to do with this particular "interview" which isn't such a thing when the other person keeps lying & won't answer direct questions but immediately goes back to the same lie. Mace just kept repeating the same bullshit and not answering the questions put to her, or is that not what she was there for? 

Is it an interview or an argument? If the interviewee says something that isn't accurate (and not just a different opinion), the interviewer can counter with the correct information without talking over the other person and see what the interviewee has to say about that. A good interviewer is able to move the conversation along to avoid getting stuck in a circular argument, which doesn't inform anyone. Talking over the other person until they give up doesn't make you right about whatever your point is. IMO, the point is to understand others' "view", but if you want an echo chamber, then just keep hammering anyone you disagree with until only people who agree with you show up. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Is it an interview or an argument? If the interviewee says something that isn't accurate (and not just a different opinion), the interviewer can counter with the correct information without talking over the other person and see what the interviewee has to say about that. A good interviewer is able to move the conversation along to avoid getting stuck in a circular argument, which doesn't inform anyone. Talking over the other person until they give up doesn't make you right about whatever your point is. IMO, the point is to understand others' "view", but if you want an echo chamber, then just keep hammering anyone you disagree with until only people who agree with you show up. 

I certainly don't want an echo chamber no matter how much you may think I do and would love to hear an honest debate/discussion/interview but that wasn't what was happening here, this was one person not being allowed to lie their way through an interview, or is that okay as long as it's your echo chamber?

Honesty & integrity is what is needed from EVERYONE but that wasn't what we were getting from Mace & Whoopi rightly called her out on it. 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I certainly don't want an echo chamber no matter how much you may think I do and would love to hear an honest debate/discussion/interview but that wasn't what was happening here, this was one person not being allowed to lie their way through an interview, or is that okay as long as it's your echo chamber?

Honesty & integrity is what is needed from EVERYONE but that wasn't what we were getting from Mace & Whoopi rightly called her out on it. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you, personally, wanted an echo chamber. I meant that the show and Whoopi in particular doesn't handle differences or incorrect information in a way that lets the audience hear all the information. Overtalking the guest is not informative at all. If Whoopi calmly gave actual information to contradict the guest (for example, pointing out that abortion in California is available up to the point of viability, which is sooner than 9 months) it would have been a more useful discussion. I'm not criticizing the positions of the discussion participants as much as the way these disagreements are handled. 

• Like 1

Welp, today’s show should be fun.

I watched the Patrick Stewart segment. The man is a delight. I figured he worked on his book during COVID. I am waiting (im)patiently for it at my library but what I’ve read so far, his childhood did indeed sound rough. But I am looking forward to read the funnier bits like that encounter with Sting.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

I find it so freakin' patronizing when people go on about women doing things like not wearing make up as if they're brave and courageous.  I'm 41 years old and most women I've known don't wear makeup all the time.  I'm sure there are women who wear it because they have low self-esteem or are self-conscious but I think that most of us just wear it because we like to.  I love makeup and depending on how I feel, sometimes I do an entire glam look, sometimes I do a minimal look and sometimes I don't wear any.  Pamela Anderson probably didn't wear any makeup because she just didn't feel like it that day, not because she's trying to start an anti-makeup revolution.  I swear, people in the entertainment industry think the entire world is LA.

And don't even get me started on whatever the heck Sunny is doing to her pubic hair...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Speaking of Sunny, didn’t she tell us she wears make up to bed because she doesn’t want Manny to see her without?  Now she says as soon as the show is over she takes it off. 

• Like 9
59 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Speaking of Sunny, didn’t she tell us she wears make up to bed because she doesn’t want Manny to see her without?  Now she says as soon as the show is over she takes it off. 

I noticed the contradiction, too.  Did she specifically say she sleeps with it though?  It seems like it was something about her getting up before Manny wakes up to put it on first thing so that when he gets up, he sees a fully made-up Sunny, or maybe I'm misremembering.  Regardless, she's either changed her makeup habits, or she forgot what she said previously.

• Like 2

I took it to mean she takes off the heavy TV makeup right after the show.  Not that she goes make up free outside the show.  Even Allysa refenced that the make up they wear on the show was not was typical women are wearing everyday.     

It's very possible that she wears normal lady levels of make up outside of the show and that both statements could be true.   

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I noticed the contradiction, too.  Did she specifically say she sleeps with it though?  It seems like it was something about her getting up before Manny wakes up to put it on first thing so that when he gets up, he sees a fully made-up Sunny, or maybe I'm misremembering.  Regardless, she's either changed her makeup habits, or she forgot what she said previously.

Yeah, that’s it. I couldn’t remember exactly. 

1 hour ago, After7Only said:

I took it to mean she takes off the heavy TV makeup right after the show.  Not that she goes make up free outside the show.  Even Allysa refenced that the make up they wear on the show was not was typical women are wearing everyday.     

It's very possible that she wears normal lady levels of make up outside of the show and that both statements could be true.   

Yeah, that’s prob right too. 

• Like 2
On 10/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, Haleth said:

(My bolding added)

Not letting your spouse see you without makeup sounds like something a very young woman would think was a romantic ideal. In reality, this would be an exhausting way to live. Stay awake until he falls asleep so you can clean off the makeup and put on night creams, then wake up before him and put makeup on - what kind of sleep can you get? And what happens if you are ill? Do you drag yourself out of bed to put on eye makeup? I would think after a short time, you'd realize that your partner in life should be able to see your bare face without having a bad reaction. :-)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1