Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Moving In

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 10/13/2023 at 12:09 AM, Annber03 said:

I liked the whole thing with David's little quips as he walked by while Frasier and  Freddie were setting up their apartment. Between that and the end credits scene with him, I could see a lot more of the resemblance to Niles this episode.

The final clip with David dumping the little box of World Series dirt into the plant was hilarious and pulled me right back into the Golden Age of Frasier.  It won't be the same as the original -especially with Niles missing - but David is displaying enough of his father's traits and mannerisms that it just might work.  

IMO, the original series wouldn't have lasted without Niles.  His relationship with Frasier brought a magic to the show.  They played off each other so well.

Spoiler

Edited by TruffleHog
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, TruffleHog said:

The final clip with David dumping the little box of World Series dirt into the plant was hilarious and pulled me right back into the Golden Age of Frasier.  It won't be the same as the original -especially with Niles missing - but David is displaying enough of his father's traits and mannerisms that it just might work.  

IMO, the original series wouldn't have lasted without Niles.  His relationship with Frasier brought a magic to the show.  They played off each other so well.

Hide contents

This, so much, Niles made the original Frasier.  As the series went on, I really tired of Daphne and she became really snippy (and I felt bitter) towards the end.  I always liked Roz, but felt she was not as central as Niles.  I also always enjoyed Lilith's episodes, but it will be interesting to see their relationship now that Freddy is an adult (and also to see if there is estrangement between Freddy and Lilith).

Pay DHP whatever he wants.  The story could be that Daphne dies and Niles moves to Boston to be closer to David.  Then Frasier and Niles could look for a wine club to join, day spa to enjoy, etc., etc.  And, actually, having both brothers newly single (although Niles would be mourning) could have been interesting.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Pay DHP whatever he wants.  The story could be that Daphne dies and Niles moves to Boston to be closer to David.  Then Frasier and Niles could look for a wine club to join, day spa to enjoy, etc., etc.  And, actually, having both brothers newly single (although Niles would be mourning) could have been interesting.

Yes!  Bring back DHP.  I wonder why he isn't interested in returning.  He never really explained why, and he is very private so we might never know. 

I do agree about the abrupt change in Daphne's temperament towards the end of the series.  It was so strange and unexpected.  But I would still be sad if Daphne died or if they divorced.

14 hours ago, Blakeston said:

My guess is that DHP understood that this reboot was never going to match the magic of the original. He's undoubtedly loaded from the original run, so it's not as if he needs the money.

I agree with you. Also, he's still a working actor. He isn't completely living off residuals although it would not surprise me if that is a major part of his income. 

• Like 2

I liked half of this episode and disliked the other half. I didn't like how dumb Freddy's fireman friends were. That was terrible. I did like how it lead to Frasier and Freddy talking and him learning how much his fame was hard on Freddy. I didn't like Frasier telling Freddy to put all his stuff in his room. On the original Martin was more forceful about his chair, even using Frasier's words against him.  It worked because of Martin's personalty and because he's the father. Freddy choses to be passive aggressive which makes sense since he's the son. I liked the Steinway meets Fenway. That was really good. I still don't like David.

I liked that Frasier's voice made the baby go to sleep and Eve showing up at different times just for that reason. Whatever gets the baby to sleep. 

I'll have to wait until Paramont+ is free for a week to catch the rest of the episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked half of this episode and disliked the other half. I didn't like how dumb Freddy's fireman friends were. That was terrible. I did like how it lead to Frasier and Freddy talking and him learning how much his fame was hard on Freddy. I didn't like Frasier telling Freddy to put all his stuff in his room. On the original Martin was more forceful about his chair, even using Frasier's words against him.  It worked because of Martin's personalty and because he's the father. Freddy choses to be passive aggressive which makes sense since he's the son. I liked the Steinway meets Fenway. That was really good. I still don't like David.

I liked that Frasier's voice made the baby go to sleep and Eve showing up at different times just for that reason. Whatever gets the baby to sleep. 

I'll have to wait until Paramont+ is free for a week to catch the rest of the episodes. 

Use the code FRASIER to get 1 month free as a part of a promo they're doing good through 12/31/23

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Two words Eve... YouTube

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/19/2023 at 9:28 PM, TruffleHog said:

Yes!  Bring back DHP.  I wonder why he isn't interested in returning.  He never really explained why, and he is very private so we might never know.

A lot of theater actors do TV to support their theater dreams.

I think he has been pretty open that the salary from Frasier let him return to theater and that he could be very picky about any TV work he did.  He did guest bits here and there over the years but it was only with Julia (delightful show) that he committed to a regular series role.  Even with that, I think it was initially only going to be a limited series so he may not have even thought that's what he was doing when he signed on.

After Frasier, he has more theater credits than he has TV credits.

I don't know what it would take to get him to do a guest-starring role here but, based on what I've read about what the series would've liked with him in it, I get why it didn't interest him.  Maybe a guest role at some point would interest him.  And if it's well-written, I think the most we could hope for is a recurring role.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I think it's also the thing of feeling like it'd be tough to properly recreate and go back to that character again. He was such an integral, iconic part of the original series, so I can see being a little wary of trying to recapture that magic in that way, too. 

• Like 7
On 10/23/2023 at 12:31 AM, Irlandesa said:

I don't know what it would take to get him to do a guest-starring role here but, based on what I've read about what the series would've liked with him in it, I get why it didn't interest him.  Maybe a guest role at some point would interest him.  And if it's well-written, I think the most we could hope for is a recurring role.

I read that Kelsey said that DHP was against reprising his character in general even years before this reboot was ever planned, so it might not be about great scripts (which at this point I am not seeing yet).  And it sounds like money wouldn't change his mind either, although it does look like it's possible that he might cave in to do a cameo here and there.  We can only hope.  It's obvious to me that he is loving his role on "Julia", although what gets me with that is how Niles-like he is playing Paul Child!  Based on all I've read about Paul I don't know if that is a very accurate portrayal, but I love DHP's interpretation nonetheless.

I do think it's regrettable that they couldn't get more of the original cast on this reboot.  "Frasier" itself didn't choose to include pretty much anyone from the "Cheers" cast outside of cameos so perhaps the rationale was that they could do the same here.  That would be great if the actors, the scripts and the chemistry could come up to the level of the original "Frasier", but so far I am kind of doubting that's going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 10/12/2023 at 10:01 PM, John M said:

Just going to put everything in this thread:

So, I kind of empathize with Freddy, I grew up in a somewhat wealthy family with distant parents that I am now basically currently somewhat somewhat to completely estranged from, I now work in a public service job that my father does not approve of (No matter, he disowned me, I was borderline relieved that I no longer had to force a relationship with him and see the disapproving looks when I told my family what I do).

But having known plenty of people in my position, including a family member I am close with, that Frasier stuff gets ingrained into you at your core, it's unshakable, there is absolutely no way that Freddys co-workers don't realize there is something off about him that they just can't ignore, the vocabulary, pronunciation, the mannerism, weird knowledge that just kind of slips out, weird tastes, even accents that they just can't place, they know something is off about you, they figure it out and it's not the same. The 50 minutes in the bathroom everyday.

I'm just thinking and I can see this in my own life, I know some of it is just TV, but despite Frasier's bash, Freddy's place is incredibly well put together for someone that views themselves as a blue collar firefighter. While certainly not Frasier's style, the architectural details, the accessories, high quality vintage furniture. Also he lives in an apartment building that Frasier would live in in a very large architectural space right across the hall.

Also I think there is a big opportunity that I hope they take that as much as Freddy wants to think he is a blue collar public servant, he is never going to be able to shake his past and he needs to deal with that instead of deluding himself into believing that he is just like his coworkers. 

I agree with your post here which is one reason I'm not loving the Freddie character as conceived here.  I do think he would stick out among blue collar folk.  I actually know a young man similar to Freddie in many ways, perhaps even a more extreme example.  He's the 30 year old son of a good friend from a WASP family of high achievers - his grandfather went to Harvard and was head of HR at a huge corporation and later a hospital.  His great grandfather was the brother of a famous poet, and held a high profile position in the armed forces.  You can't visit one branch on this guy's father's family tree without hitting someone notable and very well educated.  His family is the true embodiment of what Frasier himself was aspiring to be (and often failing at it, LOL, which was the in-joke of it all if you ask me, sort of like Hyacinth in "Keeping up Appearances").   

All that said, he refused the trust fund money set aside specifically for him to go to college and instead is now working in construction in New England.  He always had a talent for that having done roofing as a summer job for a few years.  Given how construction companies are having a hard time recruiting young people these days and he impressed his employers, they trained him on the job and now he is making fantastic money.   The thing is, his mother's family came from much humbler blue collar roots, so he himself is an interesting fusion of the two worlds.   He can fall back on that side of the family to "fit in" with the crew on the job, but there is a whole 'nother side to him.  Maybe it's because I know someone that embodies what they're trying to achieve with Freddie that I feel that the Freddie character as portrayed here isn't that realistic.

• Like 3
On 10/23/2023 at 12:31 AM, Irlandesa said:

A lot of theater actors do TV to support their theater dreams.

I think he has been pretty open that the salary from Frasier let him return to theater and that he could be very picky about any TV work he did.  He did guest bits here and there over the years but it was only with Julia (delightful show) that he committed to a regular series role.  Even with that, I think it was initially only going to be a limited series so he may not have even thought that's what he was doing when he signed on.

After Frasier, he has more theater credits than he has TV credits.

Original Frasier was really fortunate to have their roster of theatre actors including DHP, John Mahoney, Bebe Neuwirth, Brian Stokes Mitchell (Cam Winston), and more.

I think it's unlikely DHP will come back as a regular because he is East Coast based and is comfortable where he is career and life wise. Bebe did not want to be a regular on the original show because she wanted to stay in theatre in NYC. Mitchell did not stay on the show as Cam for the same reason. Both DHP and Bebe probably like Julia because it is shot on location New England. There's a great interview with them and they seem quite close because of the NYC theatre scene, probably closer than they are with Kelsey. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 10/21/2023 at 3:53 PM, seacliffsal said:

I, too, didn't like how 'dumb' they made the firefighters.  My father was a firefighter and today's firefighters go through rigorous testing and training.  It is a highly competitive profession.  

This X 1000! Firefighters have to solve problems in real time with life and death situations. I really didn't like the show writing the firefighters as mentally slow. 

On 10/23/2023 at 12:00 AM, Annber03 said:

I think it's also the thing of feeling like it'd be tough to properly recreate and go back to that character again. He was such an integral, iconic part of the original series, so I can see being a little wary of trying to recapture that magic in that way, too. 

IMO Niles wouldn't have to be the Niles of the past. People change obviously. Even in the original series, Niles made himself over a few times. Island Niles. The leather wearing, roller skating Niles that was dating the waitress from Cafe Nervosa. Becoming Daphne's Niles and having a child. DHP could do a LOT of interesting things. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1