Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Coming Home

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed that episode, the D-Day tie in was well done as those things always get to me.

The Gladiator scene was pretty cool, not quite up to the standard of Rick and Old Winslow 😂 but they're getting there, i'm glad they didn't kill the Burners when they were all chained up and defenceless, not very sporting......

What the hell's up with Tattoo? His actions were telegraphed yet nonetheless confusing. Has he seem the light? 🤔

The nest looks pretty impregnable, they'll need Bronn, ten good men and some climbing spikes 😁

The only let down was the inevitable 'Rent-A-Mob' on the beach, they still keep pulling that one out of the hat 🙄

All in all a great first season, still definitely the best visually, I hope S2 of Dead City can pick up a few things, I'm actually looking forward to the Book Of Carol, even more so than Rick & Michonne.

For the season, 8.5 / 10 for me, Ep4 let the side down somewhat but the show is finally starting to be what it always could / should have been.

Oh! And Land Rovers never break down 🇬🇧

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 8

I felt that "herd" was for the fans and I loved it. Daryl is such a bad ass.

Although a part of me held out hope for a Daryl and Connie relationship, it is evident he loves Izzy. I have NEVER seen Daryl beg for his life. To anyone. Ever. The closest may have been trying to trade his life for Rick's in Season 4.

As for Le'Negan, he only wanted Daryl. Don't seem like he had it in him to kill a kid.  He probably want to live in a world where The Nest is in charge and knew Daryl was the only way they would make it safely.

I loved this show! And I was happy there was no red shirts this season. I hope this shows they can have a compelling show and story without beloved characters constantly dying.

• Like 6

So basically Melissa McBride was like "I'm not going to France" so they rewrote the show to just have Daryl in France and have Carol back in America so that way you can have a split show, Daryl in France and Carol in America. (That means Morgan can steal be a nexus character and appear on TWD:DD with Carol in America)

Edited by Brown44

Lots to love, so I'll get my one sticking point out of the way first. Laurent followed Daryl - apparently closely - for two days and 1) Daryl never caught on and 2) Isabella and half the Nest weren't right on Laurent's tail to haul him back home? He is a miracle boy!

What took my mind off of that glitch in space/time was the fact that Daryl really was going to get on that boat with no hesitation. If anything he seemed to hesitate rather than immediately run back to rescue Laurent. I wonder how this will affect their relationship going forward.

The scene in the veterans' cemetery was moving. I thought Norman did a good job with it. The music was beautiful, as most of the music has been throughout the series. I would buy the soundtrack if they ever released it. And finally, the flag (improbably) was still flying. I got some nostalgia mist in my eyes at the sight of the 48 stars, for, yea, I am old.

The fights in the arena were really well staged. When the acid walker kind of ate Daryl's axe and then slid his body along the shaft to attack the guys again, I was pretty damned impressed. I'm glad that Quinn got his licks in during the fight, too. You just know he was a street fighter at a younger age. I like how the writers got to let the audience have our cake and eat it, too: Quinn goes badass and lets Daryl chop his hand off and then take on two of Genet's guys so Daryl gets to escape; but he also gets an axe to the head while he's trying to chaw on Isabelle. Nicely done, that, writers.

I'm happy that the Nest turned out to be as wonderful as rumor had it. Good people making a good community. Daryl smiling a lot, fitting in. And making a toast in French! I'm shipping him and Isabelle hard. It's obvious they care deeply about each other.

One more thing. I know we're supposed to think that the promise Daryl is desperate to keep is the one he made to Carol, and I'm sure that's a big part of it. I truly believe that the one that keeps pulling him to get back is the one he made to Judith. She's lost all four parents tbh, and she's always been afraid that Daryl would leave her, too. He told her he'd be back. So he has to be back.

It was great to see Carol looking like Carol again, and I can't wait to see her at the zombie recruitment camp. I have no idea how the whole Book of Carol thing is going to fit into the existing aesthetic, but I'm choosing to have faith that this season wasn't lightning in a bottle.

Loved the series. Full stop.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I think my soul is weary of ugly day to day life in America.  When I saw those long, romantic shots of Mont St. Michel I actually got choked up.  How can a place so beautiful exist in this world?  It looked like a castle on the edge of eternity.

Great episode.  I wouldn't have minded if Quinn had stayed in the story.  I thought the actor was pretty good.  C'est la vie.

When the lights flashed on one by one above the chained, agitated zombies, I was transported right back to the amusement park haunted house rides of my youth.   Keep your hands in the car at all times (or, in Quinn's case, hand).

As Daryl was darting from grave to grave, did anyone else think "Arch Stanton?"  Where's Ennio Morricone when you need him?

This season was magnifique.  But I think these six episodes were lightning in a bottle.   What made this series feel new and promising was the lack of baggage from TWD.   Now, here comes Carol.  😒

P.S.  I might be willing to cut a little slack if she keeps the Mustang.  I drove around in one of those as a teenager.

• Like 2

Definitely the best content this IP has put out in a long time. Better than Dead City IMO. A few clichés of the genre, sure. The acting performances, even from Reedus, were well-above what we've seen from this franchise. 

ETA: unlike a good chunk of the fandom, I am not that thrilled to see Carol back. 

• Like 4

I was a bit irritated by the cliff-hanger ending with Daryl on the beach. He will obviously choose to stay in France for the time being because of that damn kid following him. I did like the ending with Carol though and look forward to that. I think.

I just wish the show didn't feel the need to make this Pouvoir thing such a huge part of the show. And if they do, I wish they had done a better job explaining why Genet has this kind of thrall over her minions. She is a two-dimensional character that I don't understand, and her followers are all one-dimensional background extras. I was so hoping Tattoo face would just shoot her.

Speaking of Tattoo face, I guess killing a kid is where he drew the line? But why let Daryl go? This is another character the show never really fleshed out. 

So is Sylvie. From episode 2 onwards, every time I saw her I thought to myself "Now who is she again?" They just never really did anything with her.

Granted, six episodes isn't a lot, but that being the case, don't try so much world building if you don't have time to properly invest in your characters.

I didn't get that Quinn was the Walker who attacked Isabelle at the end in the catacombs. It wasn't until her conversation with Laurent in the truck afterwards that it dawned on me.

Overall I though the season was OK. It benefited from a lack of some of the more annoying characters from TWDverse and beautiful scenery but was still weighed down by the lazy tropes TWD can't seem to break away from.

• Like 3

I readily admit I expected this spinoff to be the weakest and most nonsensical of the three announced. I mean, Daryl in France? Really? We've all had fun with that premise. But color me as surprised as anyone that premise aside, it's been some of the best and most affecting content the franchise has put out in forever. 

Which is probably why I have some mixed feelings about bringing Carol back onto the canvas. I love Carol. I think it goes without saying that she's probably one of my favorite TV characters of the current era. I'm genuinely happy to see her again sans the hippy granny wig. But some part of me is wondering how she will even fit into this show, which really isn't the same animal as the mothership or really anything else we've been shown so far. One of the things that's really worked here once you just accepted that he'd been plunked down in France for ... reasons was finally letting Daryl be a grown up, which I realize sounds ridiculous when talking about an actor in his 50s. But there were no shipping wars, no obvious fan service of a man who really just needs a bath tricked out in leather. Daryl's relationship and interactions with Isabelle were refreshingly adult and it was easy to see how it could lead to him finally finding a home and a family of his own that wasn't entirely predicated on his being everything to everybody, taking on everybody else's stray children and putting himself in harm's way over and over again just so he could feel like he'd earned his place among decent people. I was really taken aback to realize at the end with the seeming non cliffhanger on the beach how much I hoped he was going to take his fellow American's advice and choose a home and life for himself because it was what he actually wanted and not because he feels like he still has obligations on the other side of the pond. I guess we'll reserve judgment and see.

Beyond that, it's been refreshing that Sylvie's sort of boyfriend didn't have to die horribly in front of her because no one can have nice things, or that the Nest turned out to be exactly what it was advertised to be and not a group of cannibals or evil square dancing mimes just for a cheap gut punch. Sure, it's a little cliche that at the 11th hour Le Grande Face Tattoo who's had no trouble killing nuns or anyone else he came across suddenly draws the line at kids, but whatever. France has been a whole character in its own right and the final gladiator fight if fully expected with this franchise was still really well done even if it raises more questions. What possible reason beyond staging gladiator style fights could anyone have for wanting to make the zombies worse unless there's a long-term plan afoot to use them as weapons of war?

I like the actor who played Quinn and I liked Quinn as a morally gray character seemingly connected to everybody, so I'm a little sorry to see him go. But he held his own well and his death also made narrative sense as well as coming full circle to Merle also having to make that terrible choice all those years ago.

The D-Day bit was nicely handled and a nice bookend to Daryl earlier channeling his angry father at Laurent in showing how loss and trauma can reverberate through generations. It almost made me forget that the most sheltered child in existence this far in the ZA was apparently able to tail Daryl for days without anyone noticing and that once Daryl did, all the walkers he'd battled his way through to get to the beach were content to stand around and wait to see how that was going to play out.

I do love that it took all of six episodes for Le Kid Jesus to join the traumatized children of the ZA club in having to put down a parent or someone they cared about.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Superclam said:

ETA: unlike a good chunk of the fandom, I am not that thrilled to see Carol back. 

I have indulged the illusion that Daryl Dixon is a standalone series.   The addition of Carol will shatter that illusion.  Now, rather than seeming like something fresh, it will be diminished, reduced to the status of just another side plot of TWD. 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, millennium said:

How can a place so beautiful exist in this world? 

One of the few good things about living in England is that it's a very short hop over to the beauty of France,  it really is stunning to see, especially when the tide is in 🏰

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Daryl finished the Rubik's cube?  He probably peeled the stickers off and put them back on in the right order.

😀

I liked the twist with the tattoo guy.  Pleased that he wasn't just all stereotypical evil.

• LOL 2
On 10/16/2023 at 10:30 AM, nodorothyparker said:

One of the things that's really worked here once you just accepted that he'd been plunked down in France for ... reasons was finally letting Daryl be a grown up, which I realize sounds ridiculous when talking about an actor in his 50s. But there were no shipping wars, no obvious fan service of a man who really just needs a bath tricked out in leather. Daryl's relationship and interactions with Isabelle were refreshingly adult and it was easy to see how it could lead to him finally finding a home and a family of his own that wasn't entirely predicated on his being everything to everybody, taking on everybody else's stray children and putting himself in harm's way over and over again just so he could feel like he'd earned his place among decent people. I was really taken aback to realize at the end with the seeming non cliffhanger on the beach how much I hoped he was going to take his fellow American's advice and choose a home and life for himself because it was what he actually wanted and not because he feels like he still has obligations on the other side of the pond.

I've been chewing on this for a few days. My take on it is CDB was Daryl's found family but he never felt truly secure there. He was everything to everyone and I always had the impression that he felt that if he deviated from his "role" in that family he would be abandoned. 

Watching him grow throughout TWD, especially the final season, set him up for where he is now. He is able to be the true "grown up in the room", which I think a lot of adults (myself included) can relate to, even though we're well into adulthood.

I never had an issue with Daryl, or Reedus' acting, but he really stepped it up. Watching him learn to trust Isabelle and his new group, being able to start somewhere without the baggage of who he was, and his connection to Merle, was great. I did want him to get together with Connie, and maybe they did, who knows. I never considered Daryl to be a predator and watching him develop feelings he's not acting on because Isabelle is a nun (for now) was nice, as it is always nice seeing men interact with women without an ulterior motive.

I'm also digging the new morally grey characters. I liked Quinn and wish we got more to his story (unless he was going to turn into another apple eating villain). He did have an epic send-off. I do miss Talking Dead at times like this. It would have been fun to hear his take on Quinn and his death.

Hoping for more Stéphane (face tattoo). I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the original group trying to find a cure, or the CRM (or someone from World Beyond). I do like tie-ins and hope that all these spin-offs (World Beyond, Dead City, Fear, DD) can get tied into each other down the road.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 5

I just binged this and am so conflicted. First of all, always been a Darryl fan. Second -- France. And I liked the changes with different walker variants, killer nuns, Paris as it fell, hell I even liked the Buddhist monk from New Jersey! There was so much good about this spinoff, except two things  . . . 

First and foremost -- that kid. Ohmilord I have never wanted to reach through a screen and smack some sense into a child character like I did this one. The best thing that could have happened was for Stephane to shoot him and put ALL of us our misery. 

And it leaned too heavy on religion for me. If this becomes "Daryl finds his true self through religion" I will be fucking pissed. Daryl didn't survive because Sister Fleur and the most special snowflake who ever snowflaked prayed for him. He survived because he knows what he needs to do to survive. Pray all you want, but if survival comes down to praying or a 17th century French weapon, guess which one will help you live another day?  Hint. It doesn't involved folded hands. 

Darryl belongs with his family -- Carole, Judith, RJ, CONNIE, and the rest of them. THAT is his home. THAT is his family. And he was on his way back to them. But because that kid was raised with no parental guidance -- only "he must be protected at all costs and no matter what he does or how much he doesn't listen we're just going to let him be that way because . . .reasons" -- now Darryl has to go save his ass -- again -- and miss his opportunity to get back to his REAL home.  I would love to see that little fucker get eaten alive on that rock. 

Look, I know the reasons why this show is now based in France and they did so much good with it -- I just wish they'd come up with a different storyline other than Darryl has to save an ungrateful, completely unprepared-to-survive-in-the Zombie world, pretentious little French brat who, despite being raised by killer nuns FFS hasn't killed even ONE walker.

The only thing that little turd is going to bring back is French entitlement and arrogance.

Hopefully Carole will find Darryl quickly and instead of just telling a kid a story about how he'll end up one of the monsters if he doesn't get his shit together, she'll follow through on her threat and do us all a favor. And if all else fails, she can always take him out to look at the flowers. 

/Le rant fin

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

And it leaned too heavy on religion for me. If this becomes "Daryl finds his true self through religion" I will be fucking pissed.

I don't think you have to worry about that.  Nothing on this show even remotely resembles any real religion.  Like the one guy teaching at the Nest who said "God doesn't exist unless we believe in Him".  What is that from, the Church of Tinkerbell?  SMH.

On 10/22/2023 at 11:32 AM, Sailorgirl26 said:

First and foremost -- that kid. Ohmilord I have never wanted to reach through a screen and smack some sense into a child character like I did this one. The best thing that could have happened was for Stephane to shoot him and put ALL of us our misery. 

. THIS!

Darryl belongs with his family -- Carole, Judith, RJ, CONNIE, and the rest of them. THAT is his home. THAT is his family. And he was on his way back to them. But because that kid was raised with no parental guidance -- only "he must be protected at all costs and no matter what he does or how much he doesn't listen we're just going to let him be that way because . . .reasons" -- now Darryl has to go save his ass -- again -- and miss his opportunity to get back to his REAL home.  I would love to see that little fucker get eaten alive on that rock. 

I agree! I wanted Daryl to get on that boat so badly. He should have just grabbed the kid and made him get on with him. I just cringed when I heard that shout "Daryl". But I realize that the concept is for Daryl to stay in France. And I really don't mind because the cinematography was quite sunning. I just want Daryl reunited with his family in America.

• Like 2

As someone that stopped watching the Walking Dead around season 5. I got to see the finale of this show at NYCC and it made me watch the rest. I loved it, being set in France made it seem like a whole new show. 

The gladiator fighting pit was awesome even when watching it a second time without an audience. I love that whatever experiments that Scientist did, ended up taking out most of the walkers. But also why are we making more dangerous walkers? 

Since I'm not attached to Daryl's life in America I wanted him to stay in France. I like Isabelle and am kind of shipping them. Granted I haven't seen the whole in awhile but I don't remember Daryl talking as much as he did with Isabelle. He was basically telling her his whole life story while he was naked in a bath. Lol. Which I don't know if anything will happen since she's a nun and Daryl has never been the romantic type. But I like whatever they have. 

I don't mind the religious stuff since they seem to be open to any kind of faith. I don't think they will have Daryl find God, he'll help them because he believes in helping people who need it. I do agree the kid is annoying and the nun's raised him too soft for this world. The messiah should know how to defend himself and others.  Unless they are making him a cure I don't care about him as a character. At this point I think Daryl only cares about him because Izzy does. And he doesn't want her to lose him. Especially since he knows she used to be an addict that attempted sucide. 

I'm interested in seeing how Carol fits into this and how she gets to France. 

• Like 2
On 10/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, margol29 said:

I just want Daryl reunited with his family in America.

Problem is, that's the regular The Walking Dead series.  Are they going to bring that back?  Wouldn't surprise me, honestly.  Keeping Daryl in Europe at least gives a reason why the rest of the old cast isn't around, although it still feels contrived anway.