Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Las Vegas Finals 4

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, astrohip said:

It is the finale episode of this run to the Finals. But there is one more episode next Monday, I think it's a Family Championship, or maybe a Couples Race. Not sure. Don't really care.

Yeah, it's a couples thing. Don't know what the setup is...the TV listing just gives a generic show description. Not sure I care either but I'm sure I'll still watch.

Kinda ready to be done...I don't even remember who all is still in it to even say who I'm rooting for. Maybe RJ.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

I kept falling asleep during the third stage, it bore (heh, heh) a resemblance to counting sheep.  

I don't know what they could have done to make it interesting, it was like watching hopscotch in grade school.  Revisiting the back stories might work for ADD fans. 

Next week: Monday night football.  

• Like 3
11 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I don't know what they could have done to make it interesting 

Not reused the same tired obstacles and given them something that would have been challenging enough so that we didn't have to watch 8 people climbing a rope at the end.

Next year, we could watch paint dry in Stage 4 and be just as engrossed with the outcome.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I've always wanted Daniel to win but I was very happy for Vance and his parents.  He seems to be an only child and I can imagine how they must have felt to watch a kid they nurtured through CP, braces and physical therapy to end up a good-looking, nice young man who has worked hard and just achieved his dream.  They were all in tears.  I'm sure the emotions were overwhelming.  I had a few myself.

• Like 3

Did anyone notice how they didn't mention the names of the previous winners?  They showed a person but it definitely wasn't Drew Dreschel.  That person also didn't look like Isaac Caldiero, either.

I was disappointed for Daniel because he had improved his rope climbing skills, but Kudos to Vance Walker!!!!  I did think that R. J. Roman was going to make it under 30 seconds.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Did anyone notice how they didn't mention the names of the previous winners?  They showed a person but it definitely wasn't Drew Dreschel.  That person also didn't look like Isaac Caldiero, either.

I didn't see whatever clip you're talking about but they have certainly excised Drew from any old footage they might use.

Don't know what's up with Isaac these days.

16 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Remember when his occupation was listed as "opera singer?"

I'd completely forgotten that. I guess he could be a countertenor, but the quality of his speaking voice does not sound like he would be a trained singer, nor does his enunciation. Besides his weird high-pitched voice, what I dislike about him is the way he always has his arms raised, like a hammy trapeze artist showing off.  And the cheesy forced grin. He just bugs me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, EllenB said:

what I dislike about him is the way he always has his arms raised, like a hammy trapeze artist showing off.

With his "Kingdom Ninja" moniker, I always think he's going for a different image...

Now that it's been mentioned, I do remember them playing video of him singing in his early seasons. Though I couldn't find any on youtube just now (lots of ninja videos and some of him speaking at church services and stuff; I jumped around in one of them but didn't find any singing from him).

12 hours ago, EllenB said:

I guess he could be a countertenor, but the quality of his speaking voice does not sound like he would be a trained singer, nor does his enunciation. 

Countertenor is the rarest of the vocal ranges. Maybe he could excel at it just because he could sing the women's roles similar to using adult sopranos to play the roles of young boys,

22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

they have certainly excised Drew from any old footage they might use.

Don't know what's up with Isaac these days.

This is why I was concerned about "too much, too soon" if any of the teenagers won.

Vance seems to be well grounded, and I certainly prefer that he win than any of the 15 year olds. Still, I'd hate to see him disappear into obscurity the way the other winners have for whatever reason.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Countertenor is the rarest of the vocal ranges. Maybe he could excel at it just because he could sing the women's roles similar to using adult sopranos to play the roles of young boys,

I seriously doubt that thin voice could sound like this.

Maybe it makes me a jerk but I was so happy to see Daniel Gil (who my husband and I call Kenny G-sus. Say it out loud if it helps) get beaten. I know a lot of the participants on this show are ultra-religious and all that, but his Kingdom Ninja nonsense really rubs me the wrong way. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Let's talk body types for a minute or two.  

So many of the exulted young ones look skinny.  The light weight doubtless helps them move fast through aerial stations.  Tall also helps and being a certain shortness is lethal (Bailey). 

Too much muscle mass equals weight, and their finger muscles and wrists and elbow and shoulders get a hell of a workout.  

Gil at least looks well muscles all over and is not skinny.  Nor was the winner.   I wonder if the young ones will bulk up in future years?

yay!  Daniel Gil didn’t win.  I was sweating it for a minute.  For me, it’s always been the holier than thou-ness, with the low rent Tammy-Faye, caked on makeup wife.  Sorry, there’s my petty.  I was hoping for Hans or RJ…

But, breaking news…Vance wore braces on his legs as a kid…

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 11:14 AM, enoughcats said:

Let's talk body types for a minute or two.  

So many of the exulted young ones look skinny.  The light weight doubtless helps them move fast through aerial stations.  Tall also helps and being a certain shortness is lethal (Bailey). 

Too much muscle mass equals weight, and their finger muscles and wrists and elbow and shoulders get a hell of a workout.  

Gil at least looks well muscles all over and is not skinny.  Nor was the winner.   I wonder if the young ones will bulk up in future years?

I’d guess that while the lack of muscle mass is an advantage in the regular competition and stages 1-3 in the Finals for the reasons you say,  Stage 4 is different. There you need more upper body muscle mass to haul yourself up the rope in 30 seconds. So it’s an interesting balancing act between the training and body type that gets you to stage 4 and where you have to focus to win $1 million.

• Like 1

I read an interview with Vance Walker in which he said that the hardest stage for him is Stage 1 because of all the leg work.  He especially mentioned the Jumping Spider.  He said it's hard for him to spread his legs and hold that position through the obstacle.  He said his favorite is Stage 3 because it's all upper body.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I’m so annoyed by the way the new format cheapened everything. You can now get to stage 3 without ever having hit a buzzer previously in the season. Or the way the head to head stage 2 guarantees 14 people will make it to stage 3. Or the way they reduced the difficulty of stage 3 (for example, I noticed there’s only one “across the gap” jump on Ultimate Cliffhanger, show).