Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Below Decked Out

• Start Topic

I liked Bishme's jacket as an additional/optional piece of the uniform.  The anchor easily identifies the wearer as staff - like windbreakers with "FBI" on the back, but cuter.  I didn't think the neoprene uniform alone would be all that hot to wear - it's just shorts & a short sleeve shirt with a mesh inset in the back.  I'm always cold, though, so that may cloud my judgment.

A long time ago I was working on a project for an oil company in a beach town. I had to live there for the duration, I could go home on weekends, but sometimes the 4 hour drive was too much for just a day at home (I was single and in my twenties, so, it wasn't a big deal).

Anyway, beach towns are great for vacations, but when you are working there, not so much (going to lunch at a restaurant dressed in office attire while surrounded by people dressed in beach casual clothes and flip flops is not pleasant); and after a few months, you have explored everything there is to do in a beach town.

So, my teammates and I decided to take in scuba diving and went through the full PADI programme, all the way to rescue divers.

All this to say, I have worn neoprene in tropical weather, and unless you're in the water or your suit is wet, it is extremely hot and uncomfortable. It's like wearing latex, only thicker. The neoprene is supposed to keep you warm when you descend into the water (which gets colder as you go deeper), while still giving you the flexibility you need to move around and not get your clothes tangled into something.

You actually wear your swimsuit under the neoprene diving suit, so you can unzip it right away and get at least partially out of it the moment you get back to the boat. The reason you might not remove the suit completely is if you are going for second dive after the recommended rest period; neoprene is a bitch to get back on if they are wet. In general, no one is keeping those things on longer than you need to. It's not a breathable material.

There were a couple of seasons where neoprene was all the rage, and I kept thinking to myself "Why? Who the hell thinks they can walk around in a neoprene garment all day?". They might have a thinner version for making clothes out of it (instead of diving suits), but still, it's like wearing plastic.

That said, I did like Bishme's design, though I agree the anchor was too much. I also really liked Rami's and agreed with the judges that Anna was the right choice to go home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7

Below Deck Star Gary King Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Former Crew Member

The Rolling Stone article also detailed three other crew members who claimed King acted inappropriately toward women on set, with one alleging that King grabbed a female cast member’s bottom and continued to touch her inappropriately even when she told him no. He also allegedly grabbed the genitals of a production crew member and a male camera operator.

This is the guy that was flirting with Anna, right? Can't say I'm surprised. He seemed so skeevy, I felt Anna was having a major lapse in judgement on a number of levels.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

This is the guy that was flirting with Anna, right?

Exactly. He's been on a couple seasons of BD and he's always very touchy feely with the female crew members, and hooks up often. Up to now, it's not been obviously unwelcome.

• Like 3

Incidentally, Below Deck was involved in another Sexual Misconduct story which was covered in some more mainstream forums in which two cast members of Below Deck Down Under got fired. The cast members who were fired weren't on the Project Runway episode. Aesha and Captain Jason were praised for actually taking decisive action when this went down. The Cliffs Notes version of the story during an after party type time a male crew member named Luke tried to enter the cabin and climb into bed naked with a drunk coworker he had been flirting with, and was only stopped by TV crew members. Luke was fired. 

Later on, another female crew member named Laura who had been crushing on and dating that fired crew member wouldn't shut up about him in gross ways, trying to justify his behavior. And then Laura tried to make unwanted advances on another crew member, after which she was fired as well. 

Not having watched Below Deck at all, it's actually surprising that this was seemingly handled in a clear and decisive way, with Aesha in particular being seen as a hero.