Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Why IS Daryl in France?

• Start Topic

While I hope the McBride rumors are true because Carol has always been my favorite character in this universe and I continue to doubt Daryl can really carry a series by himself, we're now going to be expected to buy that not one but two characters we last saw in the Commonwealth just happened to wash up on an entirely different continent and separately at that? Okay, sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Commonwealth just happened to wash up on an entirely different continent and separately at that? Okay, sure.

If it's true and I have seen photos but, who knows?

My guess and this is a guess is that Daryl goes missing and Carol shows up at the end of S1 or start of S2 having been searching for him.

Of course she could also be some sort of dream/hallucination and not really there at all.

• Like 2

Seems like they've added a full cast to help ol' Mumble-mouth out. I never thought he was a good enough actor to be the lead on a show. 

24 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

we're now going to be expected to buy that not one but two characters we last saw in the Commonwealth just happened to wash up on an entirely different continent and separately at that?

This show has a history of people finding each other out of nowhere, Morgan, Dwight & Honey, etc. This is our first trans-Atlantic reunion. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Im thinking how well he should fit in, historically the French have gained the reputation of being soap dodgers extraordinaire, with hairy armpits not being confined to the men 🦍, i'm glad Maggie's confined to Manhattan 😅

Pepe Le Pew's adventures in France 🦨  😂 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

This show has a history of people finding each other out of nowhere, Morgan, Dwight & Honey, etc.

Meanwhile, Dead City continues the WD tradition of not being able to keep a single solitary kid in the house.

But sure, they'll each be able to figure out separately the other is in France on the far side of the Atlantic and how to get to them with no phones, no snail mail, etc. I'll have to remember that next time half my family loses the other half in Wal-Mart and it takes multiple increasingly annoyed texts to locate each other.

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

The main thing I'm disappointed about is that Carol couldn't do the Carol and Daryl show, so we're just getting a Daryl show.

Same! Why they felt they HAD to go to France is beyond me. Between stock footage and CGI they could've easily turned Atlanta into Paris without missing a beat. It's 30 some odd years into the ZA, would streets and buildings really look all that different, close up? The more ridiculous idea is the in world logistics of him even getting there, lol!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Same! Why they felt they HAD to go to France is beyond me. Between stock footage and CGI they could've easily turned Atlanta into Paris without missing a beat. It's 30 some odd years into the ZA, would streets and buildings really look all that different, close up? The more ridiculous idea is the in world logistics of him even getting there, lol!

I would watch Daryl and Carol (especially since I love Carol when she's not moping, and hopefully that's done), but Daryl alone is boring. His character is a reactor. He has always hung around in the background until someone needs him to do something. He doesn't drive the action.

The strong, silent type on a mission could work, but the strong, silent type just wandering around? Nah.

The Daryl show could succeed if he has good scene partners he can react to, but that success would come in spite of Daryl's character, not because of him. I'm debating not watching, but if Melissa McBride comes back to any of the shows, the most likely would be this one, so I'm considering watching so that I'm not behind if/when that happens.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

The Daryl show could succeed if he has good scene partners he can react to

They've definitely got to find him some interesting characters to work with, another love interest maybe 🥰

11 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Why they felt they HAD to go to France is beyond me.

I seem to remember it being part of The Gimp's plan for the "Walking Dead Universe", to take the show to the world, this would be before the movies nosedived into oblivion 😱

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I seem to remember it being part of The Gimp's plan for the "Walking Dead Universe", to take the show to the world, this would be before the movies nosedived into oblivion 😱

I recall that WDU plan too, from YEARS ago.  Wasn’t one of the WDU plot lines discussed at the time something about reviving and following the story line of the French labs referred to by Dr. Jenner (the sole remaining researcher at the Atlanta CDC)?  Jenner had said the French labs were the last to hold out against the ZA.  Also, I seem to recall a World Beyond quickie one-scene reference to the French labs as well.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

This is from March, but the writer's point still holds true: There’s No Way The Walking Dead Has a Good Answer for Why Daryl’s in France

Everything's been pretty vague so far, but I know I've seen interviews too that basically said something something something Jenner told Rick waaay back in the season one ender that the French were working on a possible cure before everything went dark. So ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Everything I read sounds like a live action version of the old "and then underpants gnomes" meme.

• LOL 5
On 6/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, nodorothyparker said:

While I hope the McBride rumors are true because Carol has always been my favorite character in this universe and I continue to doubt Daryl can really carry a series by himself, we're now going to be expected to buy that not one but two characters we last saw in the Commonwealth just happened to wash up on an entirely different continent and separately at that? Okay, sure.

Maybe he smells enough that she can locate him across the Atlantic ocean?

On 6/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Im thinking how well he should fit in, historically the French have gained the reputation of being soap dodgers extraordinaire, with hairy armpits not being confined to the men 🦍, i'm glad Maggie's confined to Manhattan 😅

Pepe Le Pew's adventures in France 🦨  😂 

Are you saying that I smell half-bad?  I'm french Canadian...😄

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Starchild said:

You just know that this was a Star Trek thing, scientists working on a way to extend life.

I think this will definitely be the reason for the apparent creation of the  zombie, er, virus? Bacterium? magic spell? by the dastardly french cheese eating surrender monkeys.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:17 AM, Daltrey said:

Same! Why they felt they HAD to go to France is beyond me.

i think it's because Norman Reedus now lives in Europe with his girlfriend and insisted the new show be filmed there, this was also why McBride bailed having initially been on board with the proposed spin off as she didn't want to spend an extended period of time filming in Europe away from her family.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, BasilSeal said:

I think this will definitely be the reason for the apparent creation of the  zombie, er, virus? Bacterium? magic spell? by the dastardly french cheese eating surrender monkeys.

As much as we Brits like to blame the French, didn't Kirkman finally admit that it was all down to "space spores"? 

If not then I'm more than happy to keep blaming the "surrender Monkeys" 😂

On 6/27/2023 at 11:37 PM, heisenberg said:

Are you saying that I smell half-bad?  I'm french Canadian...😄

Well I'm sure the half that matters smells divine, just keep on top of those pits! 😁

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, heisenberg said:

He's getting out of the water and he is looking dirtier than ever.

I hope he's going into quarantine and having his Rabies shot record confirmed! 😱

• LOL 1

Thanks! I see that is available on AMC+, but I haven't seen any promotion for it. 

Anyway, no one's more cynical than me, but the last few minutes of that really weren't too bad! It gives me hope that maybe we'll see something a little different for a change. 

• Applause 1
22 hours ago, Superclam said:

It gives me hope that maybe we'll see something a little different for a change. 

Maybe, just maybe, that after the pleasant surprise that Dead City turned out to be, we might be about to experience a continuation of the improvement in the Walking Dead world 😮

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
On 7/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Le Couvent de Sylvietwddaryldixon-4.jpg.webp

Aw, cool; I haven’t seen anything new out of Castle Anthrax* in, like, forever.  😉

* All the good names were already taken.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2023 at 9:28 AM, nodorothyparker said:

Everything's been pretty vague so far, but I know I've seen interviews too that basically said something something something Jenner told Rick waaay back in the season one ender that the French were working on a possible cure before everything went dark. 

I could have sworn they talked about France having a possible cure in World Beyond.

On 8/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, theredhead77 said:

I could have sworn they talked about France having a possible cure in World Beyond.

Considering Kirkman has never over the course of the last decade-plus shown any inclination to address the cause of the ZA, how do TPTB propose to address a cure?

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Good Wife Spinoff, Daryl Dixon, Dark Winds, Ahsoka, grown-ish, Echo and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  AUGUST 22, 2023
https://tvline.com/lists/the-good-wife-spinoff-spoilers-elsbeth-matt-czuchry-cary/daryl-dixon-spinoff/ 

Anything on TWD: Daryl Dixon? Are there any mentions of Carol in the first season? –Nikki
Rest assured, those who Norman Reedus’ embattled hero left behind are foremost on his mind in the France-set spinoff (which AMC is debuting on Sunday, Sept. 10, at 9/8c). One of his nearest and dearest is even quoted in the premiere in a way that catches Daryl off guard. Plus, within the first 10 minutes of “L’ame Perdue” — which are now streaming on AMC+ — he and, by extension, we discover a gnarly new walker variant. As for Carol, read into this what you will.

I'm deeply skeptical of anything that involves yet another special magical orphan urchin that may or may not be the hope of future humanity, so there's that.

For anyone who doesn't know, the first 10 minutes of this are up on AMC+. And while much of it is the expected "gee, Dorothy, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" setup you would expect when you decide to do the creative equivalent of shrug and say yeah, he wakes up in France now for ... reasons, it looks well done and there is an unexpected wrinkle with French walkers beyond them all wearing tattered berets and groaning in bad French accents.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

reasons, it looks well done

The filming/cinematography looks pretty good. I've read a few good reviews today, could it really be possible? Or am I going to be fooled for the 10th time by this franchise?  

• Mind Blown 1