Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Rules of Professional Conduct

• Start Topic

(edited)

Mickey meets a new client, receives a frustrating request and makes an instant connection with a chef. Lorna has her hands full juggling work and school.

Edited by akiss
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

With the extended previously on segment and the timing it does seem as if the first two episodes were produced to be seen as stand alone weekly broadcast as opposed to the normal Netflix binge.  It does look like two sets of 5 release schedule.

Mickey seemed to get too famous to fast, down to the meal and extras from the chef even if he would have gotten an OJ level of infamous off with an acquittal in the Brass Verdict

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Raja said:

an acquittal in the Brass Verdict

speaking of the Brass Verdict, who killed the tech guy?

Watching that recap was dizzying. This show packs a lot in! I find Micky immensely appealing, I have to say. And it may not show up until the second episode, but he's got a nighttime LA view to rival his half-brother's (Bosch). The only time LA looks good IMHO.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 7/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, dleighg said:

speaking of the Brass Verdict, who killed the tech guy?

If you mean Trevor Elliott, it was the insurance lady who had also had an affair with Jan Rilz (the guy who was sleeping with Lara when Trevor killed them both).  She still loved Jan, and killed Trevor because he got away with killing Jan.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Ah come on, that ending was ridiculous.

First, why would you need to break into a house, just to hire Mickey? Just hire him for something minor, put a retainer down, done. What's with the dramatics that could land you in jail for years?

Also why reveal yourself at all? Just because dude was looking for you and might have found you eventually, maybe? Well now he's found you and he knows that you did it. Good job.

Also that was clearly a threat at the end. Threats don't have to be explicit to count. So Mickey could just go to the cops without getting disbarred.

• Like 3

I noticed the same thing about the great view. I thought of Bosch. However, I didn't realize they were half-brothers. 

I like Micky a lot. He is appealing and interesting. i didn't like the new woman. i thought she was too aggressive. 

If I were wearing the same type of shirt as Maggie, I'd have put a camisole under it. The neckline was a little low for work, but that's just me. Mickey has chemistry with Maggie but it's hard for me to see him as once married to Lorna. Their dynamic is more brother-sister to me. 

The phone thing with "First wife" and "Second wife" seems like a TV trope to me, not something someone would actually do. Minor quibble though. 

i forgot about most of last season. It's hard to keep track of some of these shows. It seems like a long time between seasons. Glad this show is back. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

I thought of Bosch. However, I didn't realize they were half-brothers

As I recall, Micky's dad was a high-powered, well-off attorney. Bosch's mom was a "working girl" who was impregnated by Micky's dad. One of the books went into how Bosch figured all this out, but I don't remember the details. I didn't recall Micky being Hispanic in the books, but I have to say I adore his slight accent. He is extremely appealing.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/9/2023 at 6:57 AM, dleighg said:

As I recall, Micky's dad was a high-powered, well-off attorney. Bosch's mom was a "working girl" who was impregnated by Micky's dad. One of the books went into how Bosch figured all this out, but I don't remember the details. I didn't recall Micky being Hispanic in the books, but I have to say I adore his slight accent. He is extremely appealing.

I also don't remember Mickey being Hispanic, but I feel the same about his accent. This was good casting. It's been so long since I read the books. I don't remember a lot of it. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 3

Mickey's mother was Hispanic, his & Bosch's dad was a Caucasian lawyer.  They have Mickey's daughter Hayley too young.  In the books, she's graduated college and is the same age as Bosch's daughter, Maddie. 

Matthew McConaghey in the movie was all wrong.  But this series puts things on track better, according to the books.  

And all Mickey needs to do is let Cisco know that Russell is a threat.  He & his brothers will take care of him permanently.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

And all Mickey needs to do is let Cisco know that Russell is a threat.  He & his brothers will take care of him permanently.

Mickey doesn't know that Cisco ended last season  really without on call Road Saint support?

26 minutes ago, Raja said:

Mickey doesn't know that Cisco ended last season  really without on call Road Saint support?

I think Cisco would get support from somebody, if not the Saints.  He knows a lot of other people from that world.  He'd pull it off if need be. 

• Like 1
On 7/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mindthinkr said:

That’s one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I saw it. 

I need to rewatch and figure out where in the Hollywood Hills (or maybe even Santa Monica Mountains) that house is.  Maybe I can figure out based on the relative positions of the skyscrapers (US Bank building, Aon Tower, the twin buildings that used to say Bank of America, etc)

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2

at one point they showed him leaving his driveway and a street sign was shown. I actually looked it up to see where it might be but that was hundreds of searches ago in my google search list so..... but IIRC it was east of Culver City. 

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

at one point they showed him leaving his driveway and a street sign was shown. I actually looked it up to see where it might be but that was hundreds of searches ago in my google search list so..... but IIRC it was east of Culver City. 

While that does sit on top of a hill overlooking the Baldwin Hills oil field and Kenneth Hahn State Park downtown buildings wouldn't be that close unless you zoomed in with your camera. But I would have to rewatch to be sure

I think it might have been the normal Hollywood Hills exterior shot of the skyline which is closer and on the opposite side of downtown LA that is normally seen on TV. Many productions going to the Hollywood sign itself for some odd reason.

(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just rewatched this episode yesterday. Can someone explain how Cisco was able to take a motorcycle to his friend who was getting out of prison, when Cisco himself was riding his own motorcycle? 

Hire a truck to bring both bikes to the gate and the tow truck driver leaves 

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1

Does it say something about my obsession with food that Mickey had the leftovers packaged up and then didn't have them for the walk? 

I hate in media res openings.  No, seeing Mickey beat up doesn't make me more interested in what's happening. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 8/6/2023 at 1:41 AM, Irlandesa said:

Does it say something about my obsession with food that Mickey had the leftovers packaged up and then didn't have them for the walk? 

I hate in media res openings.  No, seeing Mickey beat up doesn't make me more interested in what's happening. 

Good point...and I had completely forgotten about the beating up by the end of the episode, so it didn't even do whatever it was intended to do!

Have to mention how much I hate, hate, hate the lazy device of showing a scene and then stating “X months earlier.” All that does is make me tune out until we catch up to real time. It is such an irritating way to grab the viewer, only to immediately disappoint.

• Like 1