Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Unbound

• Start Topic

AAAABdO0oyR7x3MfHT2D568JvxlX9_Ldb-gLjw0f
A shocking discovery awaits Geralt after he obtains information on Rience. Ciri's sense of justice causes problems. Jaskier performs for a royal fan.

Original Airdate: June 29, 2023     Netflix      

• Like 1
(edited)

This could be a much more fun show if it quit trying to be Game of Thrones.
The writing is not up to snuff.  The side stories are too scattered .. they do not seem to support one unifying theme or storyline. 

This could be a fun, rollicking adventure show with backdrop of conspiracies and maneuvering monarchies.
Instead, it feels as if we are being jerked around from one disconnected story to another. 

I think I would almost prefer a monster-of-the-week type format.  The political side stories have made everything feel bogged down and boring. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

I asked at after episode 1, where was Frangilla?  I'm glad they answered in this episode.  We also got Cahir as well.  Robbie Amell can't act but, he worked well with Cahir

I'm curious on AU Ciri. The actress looks younger which actually makes her more believable as Ciri,  IMO.

Kind of a disappointing introduction to Keira Metz a.k.a. the sorceress who Yen was trying to get to portal her and Ciri to the Keep.  Not sure how it played out on the books, but she was decently significant in the third video game, and I felt like she would have left more of a mark here.

Cahir is back and being an asshole as always.  I am curious though about this alliance between him and Gallatin/Robbie Amell.

What was the significance of Triss seeing that mark in that missing student's room?

Going to miss Geralt/Jaskier's detective buddies.  At least the cat lived...

Dijkstra is into some S&M, huh?

All of the political stuff; both with court and the sorcerers; feels half baked, although Radovid continues to be the most interesting part about it.

Monster of the week was unique and disturbing.

Another Ciri?!!

• Like 3
On 7/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

This could be a much more fun show if it quit trying to be Game of Thrones.
The writing is not up to snuff.  The side stories are too scattered .. they do not seem to support one unifying theme or storyline. 

This could be a fun, rollicking adventure show with backdrop of conspiracies and maneuvering monarchies.
Instead, it feels as if we are being jerked around from one disconnected story to another. 

I think I would almost prefer a monster-of-the-week type format.  The political side stories have made everything feel bogged down and boring. 

Absolutely agree. It’s stunningly boring. Yap yap yap between Ciri and Yen. Yap yap yap elves. Most  of the action is in “visions.” People fighting randomly over … something. The video game had a better plot. 

• Like 5

Henry Cavill is really giving it his all, even when the script and direction are ridiculous. Him recoiling at the end there was hilarious. What did he expect that silver haired girl was going to say? She's obviously some weird magical cloning attempt.

• Like 4

The costumes seem cheaper, for some reason, like if I paid attention to fashion, I could name the brands. More off the rack.  Maybe I'm forgetting earlier seasons.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:16 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Ugh, Cahir is back. Eamon Farren always seems to play creepy guys.

He'll always be Richard Horne to me.....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Affogato said:

I was screaming "Nooooooo!!!" at my tv for that scene in the Twin Peaks revival where that idiot girl was bumming a cigarette off him.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Affogato said:

That's where I know him from!  That's been bothering me for years. 

In other news, those wall heads were freaky.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rwlevin said:

In other news, those wall heads were freaky.

This was possibly the most disturbing monster they've had yet. It apparently absorbed their bodies somehow into one ginormous conglomerate of arms and legs and left their detached heads on a wall. Ick.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This was possibly the most disturbing monster they've had yet. It apparently absorbed their bodies somehow into one ginormous conglomerate of arms and legs and left their detached heads on a wall. Ick.

I think it was a mage/magic that did that.

• Like 1

Ehhhhhh that was rather boring. I don't think Netflix know what people actually love The Witcher for. Jumping from one plotline to another while our mains have 1/3 of screen time is not it. Geralt and Jaskier meeting Codringher and Fenn was probably my favourite scene of the episode. I am disappointed however that the bard really decided that Redania is a good option. Also Radovid being more aware of what's happening in court the motherf*cking Dijsktra?! No way in hell.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I asked at after episode 1, where was Frangilla?  I'm glad they answered in this episode. 

I didn't even recognize her. Why couldn't she use her magic to escape? Also, it seems like a lot of time has passed between the end of Season 2 and this episode, given her appearance, and what Cahil has been doing.

Edited by iMonrey

This episode really shows why I would love it if this show was a lot more episodic and just stopped trying to be Game of Thrones with all of the politics and elves vs humans stuff. Geralt and Jaskier meeting their detective friends was definitely my favorite part of the episode, so of course they immediately gets killed off when the boring plot arrives. The monster was also really cool, very creative and freaky looking, this should would be so much better if it was just Geralt going around fighting monsters, maybe with Ciri as his apprentice, and he meets up sporadically with Jaskier, Yenn, and other fun characters and we sometimes get glimpses of the greater machinimas of the world but are mostly focused on the day to day Witcher work. 

I'm really going to miss Henry Cavill. I guess this girl is part of some kind of magic clone program? Is everyone getting recast?

• Like 7

When G and Jaskier were at the door to the Data Brokers house, and G tossed the 'creature' heart to spring the trap, and Jaskier began a riff on the ol' Roger Rabbit line- ala 'Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just glad to see me' -joke. Not a nit-picker, but felt weirdly out of place. But I guess a writer just couldn't resist...