Type keyword(s) to search

Ridley - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

Hard to believe that Ripley was going to go traipsing off to the US with this woman who he knew for like a week! 

I was telling him he could just take a vacation and visit her in Florida, he didn't have to move there.  But I knew she was involved somehow and it wasn't going anywhere.

• Like 1
(edited)

Somehow I missed this when it aired this weekend, but I caught it on pbs.org today. It's very confusing hw they number the episodes, though. They say this is E6, but I would swear they've only aired 3. 

Edited by possibilities

It seems like PBS is splitting up the original four episodes into two each.

The first set was The Peaceful Garden which was the farmer found dead and the young girl who had been missing for more than a decade; the second set was Hospitality with the dead maid. now these with missing Luke and one more story to go.

I don't know how Eve expected to have a relationship with Ridley when she knew that she had killed Julie. Did she think that he was never going to find out?

• Like 8
(edited)

Ugh, Ridley so should not be involved in this case.  And stealing evidence better have serious consequences, cause that is messed up.

I guess medical confidentiality rules are different in the UK because no way would police be able to look at a counselor's patients' records in the US without filing for a court order.  Which would likely be denied except in rare cases.  Confidentiality can die with the patient but not the counselor.

Edited to note: do British homes not have smoke detectors?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4
On 7/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, zoey1996 said:

It sort of acknowledges what's been mentioned here, that he isn't a very good singer.

I think he's just fine.  I doubt he's trying to be another Frank Sinatra.

• Like 3

There were LOTS of things that bothered me in last night's episode.  I'm beginning to not like Adrian Dunbar as much. 

He was associate producer on these episodes in addition to starring in them.  There were too many questionable practices that should not have been "glorified" in the show.  There are enough problems with the relationships between authorities and accused criminals without making it look so easy for someone who isn't even a cop to have access to things that should require search warrants, etc.

Not pleasant to watch.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

It's looking like the biggest problem with this show is the character of Ridley.

And that everybody enables him in his bad behavior. It's not enough to whinge about it if you don't do anything to stop it, Farnum and Farnum's boss! That makes you a willing accomplice!

Also, I didn't appreciate that the second they found out that the victim was gay, they started off on a theory that he was screwing a patient. 

And the definitely homophobic parent of the first suspect suddenly starts suggesting something similar and they believe her? She has a conflict of interest because she's trying to exonerate her bullying kid!

Pfeh!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I think he's just fine.  I doubt he's trying to be another Frank Sinatra.

Oh, I think he’s fine too, but several posts upthread were critical of his singing.

• Like 2

Would somebody please open up the door already???

Okay, his vocal performance tonight was probably the best of the ones we've heard so far, but this song was so awful. According to the article linked earlier, he and the producers fell in love with this writer's songs. For the life of me I don't know why. (And I love jazz.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I really liked this last episode! It pulled together some loose ends for me, and the resolution was satisfying. 

I also liked the singing and the song. So the boat got finished, and Alex seems to be moving on. I'm actually looking forward to another season.

• Like 2

The plotline was so predictable/cliche. Our hero's hand trembles as he tries to decide whether to avenge his family by shooting the perp, but-no!- his honorable nature wins, and the SWAT sharpshooter does it for him. Geez. And of course, despite being shot mid-body and bleeding like a pig, our hero makes a quick and complete recovery!

(Cue inept jazz singing).

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

The plotline was so predictable/cliche. Our hero's hand trembles as he tries to decide whether to avenge his family by shooting the perp, but-no!- his honorable nature wins, and the SWAT sharpshooter does it for him. Geez. And of course, despite being shot mid-body and bleeding like a pig, our hero makes a quick and complete recovery!

(Cue inept jazz singing).

Sempervivum, you said it all.  The entertainment writers are worried about AI taking over their jobs - well, AI could have probably written something more interesting and less cliched. 

14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Okay, his vocal performance tonight was probably the best of the ones we've heard so far, but this song was so awful. According to the article linked earlier, he and the producers fell in love with this writer's songs. For the life of me I don't know why. (And I love jazz.)

And I'm another person who loves jazz (I actually listen to a very good jazz radio station all day while at work) and I'll say that Gregory Porter  (or Billy Porter) has  nothing to worry about re Adrian Dunbar's vocal talent.  And yeah, that song was just so bad that neither Frank Sinatra or Willie Nelson could have made it sound good.    But then again, how many people love Britney Spears and she couldn't really sing if her life depended on it, so people like what they like, I guess.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I thought the last two episodes were OK, but dragged out the plot which could have been resolved about 1/2 an hour sooner. Did not appreciate the fake out that made you think he was was going off to join his wife. The less said about the singing the better (there was one I liked in one of the middle episodes, but I can’t remember which one it was).

I was puzzled by the setting of the the series, which at times seemed very rural and desolate but sometimes more urban than you would expect in a small town. The apartment building being one example.

The show definitely needs better writing.

• Like 1

Is it wrong of me that I wanted Ridley to die?

There for a moment I thought there were going to be actual consequences for him fucking around with evidence.  I should've known better.  That resolution was lame.  And the number of people who couldn't grasp the idea of someone being willing to go to prison to protect his younger brother - 😕

28 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I was puzzled by the setting of the the series, which at times seemed very rural and desolate but sometimes more urban than you would expect in a small town. The apartment building being one example.

It was filmed in the Greater Manchester area, some it of pretty rural, some of it in the small city of Bolton, which has about 194,000 residents.  There are definitely council estates (what we Americans call public housing of "the projects") in that area.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

And the number of people who couldn't grasp the idea of someone being willing to go to prison to protect his younger brother

Especially when his life was in danger anyway, because he was being threatened by someone he'd informed on, and not protected from being murdered by said criminal and/or his  minions.

I'm annoyed that Farnum, the female officer on standby, is the one who shrieks and lunges after him, while her male colleagues stand stoically by.

I also wondered why Ridley interrupting the chain of custody had no impact on the usefulness of the evidence, but I don't know how British law works in this regard.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Wasn't that song ridiculous?  I think his voice is just fine, but he could have found a better song to sing.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

If you're going to introduce a new song, and in this case a bunch of new songs, either the song or the singer has to be top-notch. In this case, both were only so-so.  "Open the Door" seemed to me to be the best of his singing but there is a reason why Eve singing  "What'll I do?" keeps replaying in my head while I can't get through Ripley's songs fast enough.

And the ending was so cheesey. After 5 7/8ths episodes of him unable to move on from his dead wife and daughter, suddenly he's finished the boat,seeing a therapist and taking on his jazz club partner on the way to a new relationship?

36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I also wondered why Ridley interrupting the chain of custody had no impact on the usefulness of the evidence, but I don't know how British law works in this regard.

Didn't Cal confess to someone (Ridley? Jack?) that he had set the fire? Plus he was dead so there wouldn't be a need for a trial.

There really should have been consequences for Ridley taking the drive but this show really gives Ridley a free pass for just about everything.

You should be doing better, show.

• Like 3

I realize you can't try a dead suspect, but if there was going to be a chain of custody issue, Ridley should have been more worried about having caused it potentially tanking any case that could be brought, because at that point the suspect was not dead. 

I suppose it's not the only time a cop show has handwaved a major due process issue, but it bothered me anyway.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Ridley should have been more worried about having caused it potentially tanking any case that could be brought, because at that point the suspect was not dead. 

Ridley doesn't care as long as he gets what he wants. Another reason the character is not endearing himself to me.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm hoping that it would've resulted in the evidence being thrown out had the murderer gone to court, but since he was killed, it didn't matter.  At least I think he was killed, I was only half paying attention by then.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2023 at 1:15 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I have never heard of these characters, but it sounds like something I'd like. Will have to check listings. The write up ironically sounds a bit like the premise for Michael Crichton's most-recent Bosch/Ballard book, Desert Star, too! (Great book, by the way.)

Funny you should say this, because I just now thought he seemed like a Bosch character because he was playing jazz LPs in the intro!  I have watched only 5 minutes so far.  I’ll be back after I finish the rest.  I started watching because I saw it starred Hastings the gaffer from Line of Duty, which I just finished. I love all the Bosch books and the shows. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie