Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Flamekeepers

oompa
  • Start Topic

Air Date: June 9, 2023

Bernard seeks Juliette's cooperation as he grows increasingly concerned about the silo's security. Juliette asks her father for a favor.

• Like 1

Glloria cries “I have to go back!” If only the Oceanic Six could help.

Such a long gap between shift changes for the nursery. But nice pacing for unraveling a few mysteries while adding more questions.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

The pace of this show is driving me crazy. If there is a second season they should seriously think of making the whole season available at he same time.
So, the Judge is not the big boss.  "They"... who are they?
I do not trust Bernard, I have the feeling he is one of "they" and he was trying to confuse Juliette and gain her trust. 
Poor Juliette, from being the Generator's protector living a simple life, suddenly she found herself bombarded with one important info after another to doubt Silo's reality.
It is like she took the "red pill" without having no one to prepare her for it.
It is a small miracle she hasn't been detained/arrested/sent-to-greet-the-bottom-of-the-stairs  by "They" yet. 

• Like 5
On 6/9/2023 at 7:21 AM, Zaffy said:

The pace of this show is driving me crazy. If there is a second season they should seriously think of making the whole season available at he same time.

Yeah - I caught up on this show late so I was able to binge the first six episodes in a couple of days and never had an issue with the pacing. Now? I get it. It just doesn't seem like this episode moved the story along very far. Learning about the "Flamekeepers" doesn't really tell us anything. We already knew there was a rebellion and pretty much assumed what it was they were fighting for. Not exactly a major revelation there.

Also, at the end of the last episode, when the two security guys watching the monitors said "go get him" I assumed they meant Sims, and that they were behind that janitor's door. And I was right. No surprise there.

I don't buy that "they" would keep Gloria alive if she's such a threat after they've already killed so many other people who were in much more serious positions. Suddenly "they" have a no-kill policy? Or can't they go over their quota?

So I guess Juliette is on the lam now and Lukas will be the one to help her with the hard drive. I don't know where she can hide long-term with security cameras everywhere and the storm troopers hot on her trail.

• Like 7
(edited)

I was disappointed that the wall of monitors wasn't on the "outside"

and I'm curious as to where the universities are where the doctors and nurses and veterinarians etc. got their degrees LOL

and the factories where they manufacture the health care supplies, medicine etc., and the clothing and tools and furniture

Edited by headhoncho
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, headhoncho said:

and I'm curious as to where the universities are where the doctors and nurses and veterinarians etc. got their degrees LOL

The important professionals have "Shadows" which I assume are apprentices.

• Like 6

I actually think they revealed a lot this episode? And I liked that Juliette is trusting Billings more, I feel pretty confident that whatever was going on at Judicial he either didn't know that much, he knows enough that Juliet is right to keep pursuing it, but he still has things to lose while Juliette kinda doesn't. I guess the could leverage her not mom down deep?

I suspected the Judge is just a figurehead and possibly subordinate to Sims and the 'watchers', but it was good to confirm that more or less. We still don't entirely know how much power Sims has, but I felt like at least we had some movement. And I loved that they had George connect to Gloria and Gloria to Holston.

Juliette's dad really does suck eh, I thought she was maybe being to harsh seeing him with a childs hurt eyes, but nah he's just a bootlicker.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, blixie said:

I suspected the Judge is just a figurehead and possibly subordinate to Sims and the 'watchers', but it was good to confirm that more or less. We still don't entirely know how much power Sims has, but I felt like at least we had some movement.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the head of IT (Bernard) is strongly  involved.  After all, they do not need  IT help to maintain all this surveillance system.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Found this show yesterday and binged it all today. So far I am enjoying it a lot, so much so that I bought the books because I can't wait 3 weeks to find out what happens.

The show's pacing has felt a bit funky, it seems like everything kicks off in the last 10 minutes of every episode which was fine when I could watch the next one but now I gotta wait!

Seems weird to keep some old woman alive who knows literally all the secrets. They have no problems pushing other people off stairs willy-nilly but I guess it helps the plot progress.

I am curious to see how much the books differ from the show.

• Like 7

if Gloria remembers  being on the beach and the book was hers, that throws a wrench into the whole 140 year timeline the inhabitants have been fed. More like 50 years. Must be some crazy memory altering drugs in the water.

If the monitors and "they" are still in the silo then we are still stuck at the question of what is outside the silo as we still haven't seen outside the silo. I think that the room with the monitors that "they" watch is outside the silo.

The premise keeps reminding me of Ascension which was a show about a spaceship that ended up being a huge set inside a warehouse for the purposes of a social experiment.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
37 minutes ago, zapper said:

if Gloria remembers  being on the beach and the book was hers, that throws a wrench into the whole 140 year timeline the inhabitants have been fed. More like 50 years. Must be some crazy memory altering drugs in the water.

I figured she was just remembering the book. The beach in the book appears to be the same one she hallucinates on.

38 minutes ago, zapper said:

If the monitors and "they" are still in the silo then we are still stuck at the question of what is outside the silo as we still haven't seen outside the silo. I think that the room with the monitors that "they" watch is outside the silo.

The monitors are in the janitor's closet.

• Like 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RedditRefugee said:

I figured she was just remembering the book. The beach in the book appears to be the same one she hallucinates on.

The monitors are in the janitor's closet.

I think that the book had her name in the front. The "hallucinations" are her real memories. I think she was on that beach as a little girl and that the book is hers.

The janitor's closet keypad door could be an opening/door to the outside world - that is, the warehouse in which the silo is housed.

Edited by zapper
  • Like 1

I really like this show and don't have a problem with the pacing or the fact only an episode a week is released. I like the anticipation of waiting for each episode. If I binge something, I'll usually forget it fairly quickly, even good shows. With an episode a week, I get to enjoy the show longer.

I feel like this show does a good job with revealing some secrets while still maintaining the overall mystery. This is the opposite of From where there are only mysteries that don't seem to be connected, and we never get answers even after a season and a half. I don't really get the hang ups with the accent changes either. Lots of people have different accents even across the US. I've got a mix of North Dakota and Southern California myself.

I like everyone on the cast including Juliet. Although ever since I saw War of the Worlds, I'll always think Tim Robbins is creepy though. Common does an excellent job of being quietly menacing. 

I like the reveal of drugs in the water, and possibly Gloria has seen the ocean. That also means The Mayor Lady (I forget her name) was old enough to remember the Rebellion too. It also fits with the timeline of her being Mayor for 40 years so my guess is the Rebellion was only 40 years ago instead of 140 years. Maybe the Silo is like the Matrix in the sense that every time there's a Rebellion, they wipe people's memories and start the timeline over. The Silo seems much older than 40 years so I'm guessing Rebellions have happened more than once. People can only be kept in the dark for so long then our curiosities start to guide us.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, zapper said:

If the monitors and "they" are still in the silo then we are still stuck at the question of what is outside the silo as we still haven't seen outside the silo

Mild spoiler:

Last episode of the season is titled "Outside", so maybe they will finally show us how  outside really is?

• Like 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I really like this show and don't have a problem with the pacing or the fact only an episode a week is released. I like the anticipation of waiting for each episode. If I binge something, I'll usually forget it fairly quickly, even good shows. With an episode a week, I get to enjoy the show longer.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think objectively this is a better way to release a show as it allows for more discussion, episode-by-episode analysis and anticipation. I just don't want to wait ;)

22 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I like the reveal of drugs in the water, and possibly Gloria has seen the ocean. That also means The Mayor Lady (I forget her name) was old enough to remember the Rebellion too. It also fits with the timeline of her being Mayor for 40 years so my guess is the Rebellion was only 40 years ago instead of 140 years. Maybe the Silo is like the Matrix in the sense that every time there's a Rebellion, they wipe people's memories and start the timeline over. The Silo seems much older than 40 years so I'm guessing Rebellions have happened more than once. People can only be kept in the dark for so long then our curiosities start to guide us.

This would be crazy if true. It seems so engrained in everyone that they have been down there forever (at least 100+ years). I am still not convinced she is not just hallucinating based on what she saw in the book. I thought that the signatures just meant you had seen it. On the right was the family tree (how it had been passed down) and on the left was anyone else who had seen it. 

Having now started the book I am excited to see what differences there are!

Edited by RedditRefugee
I cant make coherent sentences
  • Like 3
On 6/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, zapper said:

I think that the book had her name in the front. The "hallucinations" are her real memories. I think she was on that beach as a little girl and that the book is hers.

The janitor's closet keypad door could be an opening/door to the outside world - that is, the warehouse in which the silo is housed.

On 6/13/2023 at 11:39 AM, Catfi9ht said:

I feel like this show does a good job with revealing some secrets while still maintaining the overall mystery. This is the opposite of From where there are only mysteries that don't seem to be connected, and we never get answers even after a season and a half. I don't really get the hang ups with the accent changes either. Lots of people have different accents even across the US. I've got a mix of North Dakota and Southern California myself.

I like everyone on the cast including Juliet. Although ever since I saw War of the Worlds, I'll always think Tim Robbins is creepy though. Common does an excellent job of being quietly menacing. 

On 6/14/2023 at 6:02 AM, RedditRefugee said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think objectively this is a better way to release a show as it allows for more discussion, episode-by-episode analysis and anticipation. I just don't want to wait ;)

This would be crazy if true. It seems so engrained in everyone that they have been down there forever (at least 100+ years). I am still not convinced she is not just hallucinating based on what she saw in the book. I thought that the signatures just meant you had seen it. On the right was the family tree (how it had been passed down) and on the left was anyone else who had seen it. 

Having now started the book I am excited to see what differences there are!

I read all three books and this show was such a slog for me to get through that I waited. I’m catching up, so I know I’m behind everyone else. However, Gloria said she was imagining the ocean in her head and she was sad she’d never know what it really looks, feels and smells like (paraphrasing a little). Those aren’t her memories. She imagined them. This isn’t a spoiler as Gloria, and most of the other characters and storylines, are not in the books. 

• Like 3