Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: MJ Akuda & the 1st, 2nd,and 3rd Wives Club

• Start Topic

Sue, Jenna and Brooklyn are the first, second and thrid wives of Gavin, a charming doctor who broke all of their hearts; Roarke brings Ruby's youngest daughter, JM, to the island to hlep Ruby remember who she is.

Airdate May 8, 2023

Guest stars Gabrielle Byndloss, Camille Guaty, Jason Priestley, Adriana Ramirez, Amanda Tavarez, Gillian Vigman

Jason Priestley as Gavin Beck
Gabrielle Byndloss as Mary Jane ‘MJ’ Akuda
Gillian Vigman as Sue Beck
Camille Guaty as Jenna Glazer-Beck
Amanda Tavarez as Brooklyn Beck
Adriana Ramirez as Alyssa

This was a good episode. The actress playing Ruby's daughter looked just like her. I liked that the three wives didn't blame each other for Gavin being a cheater.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4

I liked the episode as well. The only place I’ve seen JP was in “Private Eyes” where I liked his character and portrayal. He was not given much to do here, so his part was basically, be an unfeeling jerk, then repent. The wives were funny with the doll, especially the “flick-trip” on the beach. I think we were all holding our breath over Ruby’s choice, and I’m glad Elena won the battle with Isla (this time). Overall, a satisfactory fantasy ending for the season.

• Like 4

Oh well, this is now a series finale. A long hiatus, then a cancellation.

This is a great episode. Everything is wrapped up nicely - Elena and Javier are back together, Ruby's cunning mermaid is now gone. Two things that make me sad - MJ isn't gonna remember the times she spent with her younger mama and we will never know what's the mystery hidden in Suite #12.

I have been waiting for Jason Priestly's episode for so long, finally! I wish we could see more of him than his 3 (ex) wives. The poppet shenanigans are amusing until someone takes it too far.

When Elena says this to Gavin Beck, she is definitely talking about Isla as well.

"You know, Dr. Beck, I try very hard not to be judgemental, but people like you who cause others pain with zero consideration, who manipulate and lie to those they say they love… you make it very difficult."

- Elena Rourke

So, bye-bye Fantasy Island. You'll be missed...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

The only thing I didn't really like was Isla as I think the actress is weak

The producers must have had an inkling (or weren't full of themselves and wrote a cliffhanger) as this worked really well as a series finale

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 4

I think Dr. Beck was a monster. I mean, he actually allowed his 3rd wife to stay on birth control when it was completely unnecessary! 

I'm glad the wives found resolution. And Ruby’s reunion with her daughter was very touching. 

A very small detail: I love how Ruby’s normally tightly coiled hair was puffy after her struggle with Isla in the water. 

Is the show really up for cancelation? 

• Like 1

Damn, and I liked this show. 

While I was watching it I was rooting for Ruby's daughter to make her remember her past and her family. But when MJ walked onto the dock and forgot that Ruby was her mother....well, what was the point then? Ruby's kids think she died on the island, her husband died last season, unless Ruby is following her kids somehow on the Internet she's not going to know how their lives turn out from this point forward. Maybe they should have just let her go be a mermaid.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

The only thing I didn't really like was Isla as I think the actress is weak

Maybe her acting skills weren't the best but seeing her in that bikini in that last scene😍, I thought to myself, "If Ruby won't go with you, I will!"

• LOL 6

I don't have much to add; I'm glad that there were happy endings all around.

Elena and Ruby's outfits are always fab, but this show's wardrobe department is pretty good everywhere else as well. The outfits for the guests and for Javier and Segundo were great too.

I'm disappointed Fox didn't keep this for a fluffy summer show.

• Like 5
(edited)

Jason is looking very old for 53. 

I wasn't into the story line with the ex wives. One of them even states that she saw all the red flags but pressed ahead anyway. I would not say that is the guys fault!

The actress playing the mermaid does not have the screen presence or charm to make me believe she is some kind of super seducer. She also isn't so attractive that would put her into some kind of super league. 

Edited by LadyIrony

Not a bad episode to go out on.  I liked Roarke taking the poppet away, just like a parent would take away a toy from a child who was misusing it.  The "tears of pain" was cheesy, but fine for a Fantasy Island resolution.  Glad they wrapped up the Ruby/Isla plot. 

The show had some stinkers for a few episodes, but overall, I liked it.  I thought it was a well done reboot, they got some great guest stars, they kept a good balance of serious and fluff.  The weak link this season was Ruby and Isla.  This was the first episode in a long time where I actually liked Ruby again and she didn't annoy me all episode.  I'm sad it got cancelled.  This would be a good one for Hulu to pick up and produce independently.

Someone really should come up with a Fantasy Island inspired line of resort wear. 

• Like 1

The one thing that crossed my mind when Ruby and Isla were in the water - Isla is a mermaid. There shouldn't have been that much of a struggle. She could have turned into a mermaid and game over.  Why didn't Isla just turn into a mermaid and take off with Ruby?

• Useful 1