Type keyword(s) to search

Health and Wellness Chit-Chat: Your Primary Care Topic

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But if you don't have any side effects of the vaccine it does NOT mean you are not making antibodies.  You will make plenty of antibodies without side effects.

So the article says.  There's only supposed to be a slight advantage to having side effects.

Does anyone here have experience getting hearing aids for "mild-to-moderate" hearing loss? 

I have a high-deductible Medicare Advantage plan, so the test is covered, but the hearing aids would be between $500-$1000 per ear. 

OTC hearing aids seem to "start at" $89/pair, but seem to be more like $800/pair. 

I have $420.00 left in my flexible spending for the year, but I think I'd have to use it at a non-OTC provider place.🤔

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Does anyone here have experience getting hearing aids for "mild-to-moderate" hearing loss? 

I've had hearing aids for decades.  One ear has severe-to-profound hearing loss, but the other is only mild-to-moderate because I had it operated on.

I don't know anything about FSA, but definitely check to see where your flexible spending money can be used.  If it's only at certain providers, I wouldn't be surprised if the hearing aids you can get from them, even using your flexible dollars, end up not being any cheaper than the ones from Walgreens or Best Buy or wherever.  (I have some "wellness benefits" with my Medicare supplement (not an Advantage plan) and I wasn't impressed with the providers available.)

I just did a search for hearing aids on the Best Buy site, and some of them say FSA eligible.  That's probably worth looking into.

A lot of people recommend Costco, and to a lesser extent, Sam's Club.  I've run across two Costco audiologists who were good, and one of those was flat-out fantastic (but he got a job at a children's hospital so I can't follow him--I had a feeling he wouldn't be at Costco forever).  And I've had several Costco audiologists who weren't all that great, but my hearing situation is pretty challenging, especially for audiologists who mainly see old people with old-people-type hearing loss.

But many many people are very happy with their Costco hearing aid experience.  Last time I checked the fanciest Costco hearing aids were $1300 per ear, and it was that same price for years.  But they have lower-cost ones as well.  (Hearing tests are free at Costco, but you have to have a membership to get the test, as well as to buy hearing aids.)

My favorite hearing aids ever were from Costco.  I can't find a great photo, but they were these:

DSCF7372.JPG

They were so cute, but now everything I see is that standard oblong shape.  Bleh.  (Actually, when I first bought the cute ones, I got them in silver with a gray stripe because I thought it looked high-tech.  But then I found out they make silver ones to match people's gray hair, so...actually the opposite of high-tech.  I swapped them out for the blue, and my current pair is blue, too.)

And look at this one.  IIRC, these Deltas were the first ones, about 20 years ago, to actually have a design, and maybe even the first to have colors other than "flesh."  They're gorgeous.  I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more (and if they did, it would be my luck that they wouldn't work for my hearing loss).

delta2.gif

This looks like what I have now, although in blue.  It really bugs me that almost all of them out there have this boring shape.

resound-linx2-hearing-aid-is-displayed-a

Anyway, none of this is what you were asking about.  😀

One thing I'll warn you about is that they over-promise.  It's simply impossible to isolate speech you want to hear from all the other noise in a room.  Similar to how noise-canceling headphones work for constant droning on an airplane, but not for intermittent barking dogs or slamming doors, but you have to dig to find that out.  Hearing aids definitely help, but they can only do so much, and I think a lot of them end up in the drawer because of unrealistic expectations resulting from how they're marketed.

Also, I'm a very low-tech person and as long as mine keep working I'm not going to wade into the mess that is the hearing aid market, but I've heard that some people use air pods as hearing aids.  I don't have a smart phone so I really don't know anything about that, but it is a thing.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OTC hearing aids seem to "start at" $89/pair,

Hmm.  I would steer clear of those sight unseen.  Actually, there's some confusion caused by some hearing devices being advertised as hearing aids when they're not what the FDA define as hearing aids.  Like some in-the-ear amplifiers that you wear when hunting to hear animals or something?   You should watch out for that.

But you never know.  Not everyone needs the fanciest hearing aid out there.  But you'd be very lucky indeed if $89 hearing aids were what you needed.

For mild-to-moderate hearing loss, it would definitely be worth checking out the OTC ones, even at their $800/pair retail.  One of the most frustrating things about hearing aids is dragging your ass back to the audiologist constantly to get them tweaked (another reason they end up in the drawer), and I think people being able to program them themselves could be a game-changer. 

Otherwise, you go to the audiologist and tell him what's bugging you and he does some adjustments in that quiet room and you listen in that quiet room, and then you go out in the world, which is not a quiet room.  Or you go out onto the floor of Costco and go, "Gaaaaah!!!!  Make it stop!!!!!!"

• Thanks 1

I'm curious about how these particular websites were chosen to link to.  One of them is doling out the money from a grant by the North Carolina General Assembly to provide hearing aids and cochlear implant to children in North Carolina.

Another is a private nonprofit that apparently provides free hearing aids, but the application states: 

Applicant Requirements: 20-45 years old, employed full-time, within 30 mile radius of Nashville.
* There is a one time application fee of $100.

(I find it a little sketchy that the application asks if the applicant has ever been tested, and if not, why not.  So they'll take the $100 application fee from someone who's never even had their hearing tested.)

The other looks like it's aimed toward audiologists, with a big ad at the top for some sort of technology that doesn't require the use of a soundproof room.  I think--it's hard to tell exactly what that site is for, but I don't think it's consumer oriented.

I'm sure there are Reddit groups about hearing aids, but I avoid Reddit.  But if you want to see some discussion about hearing aids and hearing issues, I've found this forum to be interesting reading:

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/

(I particularly like that you can see people's audiograms if you hover your mouse on their name.  But good lord the discussions can get technical.)

Oh, and one thing people new to hearing aids might not realize is that most (maybe all?) states require hearing aid sellers to provide a trial period, so people can try them over a bit of time, since they do take getting used to.  If you don't like them, you can get their money back. 

I think I've encountered nonrefundable fitting charges, though, so be on the lookout for that.  And if you get a custom ear mold you can't return that for a refund, but the hearing aids that people with mild hearing loss wear, with the doodad over your ear and the little rubbery dome thing going into your canal--those aren't ear molds.

The domes come in different sizes and the wires come in different lengths, so they're not one-size-fits-all, but they don't require real fitting, like injecting goo into your ear to make an impression for a mold.

• Useful 2

The first link is one article of many about a popular meteorologist who uses hearing aids. The second is the charity that the meteorologist started to help other hearing impaired professionals get hearing aids. The third is a link to a wonderful grant program for children that is connected to UNC research hospital. My middle son was referred to it in elementary school by his ent and was accepted into the program and a couple years later my oldest son was also. I link to them for others who have children and also for young professionals who might benefit. It is more of a starting point of hey, resources are out there if finances are an issue. Both of these links above also have a great networking of options for other areas of the country.

It was not necessarily directed at shapeshifter’s questions but just to get information out in general. And since shapeshifter is well known for research I thought it would get her searching out other options of finding hearing aids before buying

While the grant program does list criteria for financial limits, pretty much any child that applies is accepted. Perhaps that $100 application fee is also absorbed at the professional people charity.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Useful 2
On 9/28/2023 at 9:59 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

it's that time of year again, and posting here, as my parents are in India, and there is no one here with whom (?) I can celebrate:

9 years ago, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I remember not reacting, and wondering: what is wrong with me? Why am I taking it as if the surgeon just informed me my test results were normal?

I went to the plastic surgeon she worked with to discuss reconstruction options. Found out my blood pressure was over the roof. So while I didn't feel any emotions about the diagnosis (frankly, I wasn't surprised due to my medical history and other health issues), but my body did react to the news.

Between the diagnosis and visit to the plastic surgeon (he put in the expander), I had called my parents and told them about it. And that I didn't want to wait and scheduled the mastectomy for as soon as possible, which was the following week.

So, come October 2, another milestone. Okay, 9 years isn't technically a milestone, next year will be, but I don't care. I had the cancer scooped and scraped out and walked with one boob for three years before I had another mastectomy and reconstruction on both breasts using my own body tissue, because my body did NOT like foreign objects inside it. So implants were out.

And November 5, the day I got my chemo port.

And the lovely day of November 27, when I started intense, aggressive chemo every three weeks for six months.

Jumping into the shallow, still to this day, I mourn the loss of my thick and wavy hair. I miss the 45 minutes it would take to blow dry and style it. I'm self conscience about how the hair didn't grow back at the crown and top of my head, so I'm constantly trying toppers and other products to cover up what looks like someone taking a weed whacker to my head. And berating myself. I'm healthy. But I miss my hair.

So instead of waiting until next weekend, this weekend, I'll pop out the champagnee, and buy myself a mango mousse cake to celebrate.

Congrats on 9 years cancer free!! I had my 10th anniversary this year, Aug 13. Sorry for all you had to go through. I did sort of luck out in that the cancer was very small, but I opted for the double mastectomy w/no recon so I didn't need radiation or chemo or any further surgeries. I went with the double because my mom died from breast cancer and I was not going to take any chances!

Even so it does change one. I don't know about you, but way in the back of my mind I worry that it could come back somewhere else. I know that is silly, but when I feel off or something is hurting I wonder a tiny bit if it is back. I don't dwell on it and all in all, life is good and the big C is not in my thoughts very often.

So Cheers! Enjoy your Champagne and celebrate!!

• Like 5
23 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

It was not necessarily directed at shapeshifter’s questions but just to get information out in general.

Oh, okay.  They were just links sitting there, and when I went to them they had nothing relevant to a Medicare-age person, and you couldn't tell that from looking at the URLs.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Andelta2.gifd look at this one.  IIRC, these Deltas were the first ones, about 20 years ago, to actually have a design, and maybe even the first to have colors other than "flesh."  They're gorgeous.  I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more (and if they did, it would be my luck that they wouldn't work for my hearing loss).

Those are very cool. 
The ones I tried were not so pretty, but also over-the-ear.
But it was before any Covid vaccines were available, so with the mask, plus eyeglass earpieces, plus a life-long habit of tucking my hair behind my ears, plus having very sensitive nerve endings on the cartilage of my outer ears, they were really uncomfortable. 

And then there was having to possibly make infinite trips to the office to get them adjusted — assuming that was possible. The bird tweets were so much louder than anything else, which is not so terrible, but a symptom of them not working optimally. 

And then my daughter thought I didn't need them???
— even though she and anyone else I'm hanging out with have to repeat themselves for me.

If I were still working in the college library, I would definitely have kept them. But I live alone and am retired. 

My sister says my sometimes-rock musician brother-in-law (who has worn hearing aids for about 10 years) says the hearing aids that fit inside the ears aren't as good because they block sound.
Thoughts or experience on this? 

(My sister is not a very reliable narrator.)

Edited by shapeshifter
On 10/13/2023 at 12:40 PM, shapeshifter said:

Those are very cool. 
The ones I tried were not so pretty, but also over-the-ear.
But it was before any Covid vaccines were available, so with the mask, plus eyeglass earpieces, plus a life-long habit of tucking my hair behind my ears, plus having very sensitive nerve endings on the cartilage of my outer ears, they were really uncomfortable. 

And then there was having to possibly make infinite trips to the office to get them adjusted — assuming that was possible. The bird tweets were so much louder than anything else, which is not so terrible, but a symptom of them not working optimally. 

And then my daughter thought I didn't need them???
— even though she and anyone else I'm hanging out with have to repeat themselves for me.

If I were still working in the college library, I would definitely have kept them. But I live alone and am retired. 

My sister says my sometimes-rock musician brother-in-law (who has worn hearing aids for about 10 years) says the hearing aids that fit inside the ears aren't as good because they block sound.

(My sister is not a very reliable narrator.)

Am I understanding you correctly that you need aides or have them  and don’t wear them?   During Covid lockdown I casually mentioned I only used  mine when I’m using the phone and both my son and a professional came unglued because not wearing them you have risk of cognitive decline. They are a brand that Apple syncs with  

My son has worn over the ear hearing aides with silicone molds since he was 6. His loss is severe.  He’s not been self conscious about them but right before Covid he decided to get the ones that just are in the ear.  They’re crap for him. Makes me crazy since they don’t work for his loss or he just doesn’t listen to me.   I have for 5 years behind the ear for moderate loss and no mold oar just microphone tiny cone furs way into ear but not  uncomfortable    . Either age related or since heading loss came during bronchitis that went to pneumonia possible the particular antibiotic I was on can cause hearing loss.  The audiologist office that I go and to son used to go to for years and years , when she asked about my son (as she hadn’t seen him ) I told her he got the in-the canal type she was alarmed and said they only have one microphone and the over the ear have 3. In other words they  are not strong  enough for his loss.  Mine were $3,000 each. Medicare only pays for testing and my Blue Shield  nothing. The place that I go to batteries  are free. Wherever  my son goes he has to buy them and he gets them on Amazon. It’s so wonderful the companies like Sony etc are making aides available.   I must say I’ve never seen the fancy pretty ones anywhere! I didn’t go to Costco because of the long relationship with long term audiologist .I felt I was just not going to have same availability/ service  at Costco. 
I found masks like surgeons wear that tie top of head and around neck but my issue for 2 -3 years is the arm of my glasses interfering . I also wore a pin that let  people know I’m hard of hearing so they’d try a little harder with their mask on or to at least face me. 

The most  important thing to realize is you need to learn to use them. You don’t put them in your ears and everything’s  good.  A giant problem when my son was young   a teacher working with him felt they weren’t needed.  We wound up not having him wear them and he suffered from the time period without them. We then to him to audiology department  at a university they did lots of work with hi, and used him studies 

The audiologist we had for years said most people when getting the over the ear type try the rechargeable batteries, but after a year get ones that need to be changed when they are needed.  

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Am I understanding you correctly that you need aides or have them  and don’t wear them?

I got them 2 years ago for $2000 with the option to return them within 2 weeks.  
My daughter urged me to return them because she didn’t think I needed them.🤨

I returned them because I was:

• not given any choices of type or explanation as to why I was sold those particular hearing aids
  • going to be dependent on getting them adjusted by going back and forth to the place rather than being instructed on how to adjust them
  • going to be changing medical insurance in a year and thought my out-of pocket might be less than $2K (it might be $1K now)
  • no longer employed or otherwise engaged with the public, especially at the peak of the pandemic 2 years ago when I did the 2-week hearing aid trial

My hearing loss involves loud tinnitus, but I’m not sure if it’s cause or effect. The tinnitus started when I took a medication around 2004-5, and then got significantly worse when I had 12 rounds of strong chemotherapy in 2016, but it’s still getting worse anyway.
I hear well enough if there’s no background noise, or if someone is not speaking to me from the next room or across a room with their back to me.
Apparently the loss is significant enough for Medicare and insurance to approve paying for part of the cost if I go to one of a few places.

• Hugs 3
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My hearing loss involves loud tinnitus, but I’m not sure if it’s cause or effect. The tinnitus started when I took a medication around 2004-5, and then got significantly worse when I had 12 rounds of strong chemotherapy in 2016, but it’s still getting worse anyway.
I hear well enough if there’s no background noise, or if someone is not speaking to me from the next room or across a room with their back to me.
Apparently the loss is significant enough for Medicare and insurance to approve paying for part of the cost if I go to one of a few places.

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Shape.  I have had high pitched tinnitus for most of my life, although it's not that loud or intrusive and has stayed pretty much the same forever.  I normally don't notice it unless it's very quiet, like at night.  It interferes with my hearing when there's a lot of loud background noise, like on certain TV shows.   A few years ago I had a hearing test and there was a slight loss at the higher end but no hearing aids were recommended.  I actually had to cancel another hearing test when I had Covid last month that I haven't rescheduled.  I think I should do that soon.  

Anyway you have my sympathies, that must be annoying.  (((Hugs)))

Speaking of Covid, I'm still experiencing some symptoms which I think actually got worse since getting the latest vaccine just over a week ago.  My sense of taste has been all over the map.  Some days it's strong, others half-way in the morning to 3/4 of the way from mid day to after dinner.  And I still have some annoying lingering fatigue and some difficulty getting good REM sleep, according to my sleep tracking watch.

• Hugs 2
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Shape.  I have had high pitched tinnitus for most of my life, although it's not that loud or intrusive and has stayed pretty much the same forever.  I normally don't notice it unless it's very quiet, like at night.  It interferes with my hearing when there's a lot of loud background noise,

Thanks for your empathy, but I'm actually not too bothered by the tinnitus sound itself. I'm fortunate to be one of those people who can tune it out, even though I did not have it until my 50s.

Like you, it's background noise that interferes with my ability to hear people speaking to me. I really struggled with a Best Buy agent while I was trying to place my order for my new replacement laptop. There was so much background noise at the call center. I had to ask him to repeat himself many times and explain that when talking to people who have hearing problems, it is necessary to speak slowly. Maybe because English was not his first language, he was able and willing to make the extra effort without getting annoyed in order to communicate with me, even though it took extra time, which might violate protocols.
It was worth the struggle to me since he was able to figure out the perfect mouse for me to order for the model of computer I was ordering and for my occasional detailed art image editing. Another agent working from home with no background noise might not have had the experience to accomplish that. 

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Speaking of Covid, I'm still experiencing some symptoms which I think actually got worse since getting the latest vaccine just over a week ago.  My sense of taste has been all over the map.  Some days it's strong, others half-way in the morning to 3/4 of the way from mid day to after dinner.  And I still have some annoying lingering fatigue and some difficulty getting good REM sleep, according to my sleep tracking watch.

I had intense pain for 2 weeks after my RSV vaccine.
Hopefully the symptoms from your recent Covid vaccine will at least start getting better in another week.🤞

I too have been having poor sleep. I keep blaming myself for looking at my phone when I wake up at 3am. I should at least try not having it in the bedroom for a few nights.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There are some hearing aids that claim to combat tinnitus.  I bet there's discussion about them on the forum I linked to. 

I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but if somebody talks from the next room, especially if it's just out of the blue, there's no way I'm going to understand them.  For one, I need context, so I can fill in the words I don't actually hear (which is why difficulty understanding speech can be so exhausting). 

But for another, I need to have my listening ears on if I want to be able to understand speech, and to do that I need some warning that speech is imminent.  I've asked Mr. Outlier a million times to just say "Hey" before he starts talking out of nowhere; if he does that it helps me immensely.

But as I noted above, amplifying speech and not background noise is asking a lot from a computer, especially if the background noise IS speech.  How is it supposed to know which speech you want to hear and which is background that you want to muffle?  So I think it's best to keep expectations low in that situation.

Aren't you in New York?  New York mandates a 45-day trial period, although the dispenser can keep a certain percentage (either 5% or 10% depending on the type of dispenser, although I gather keeping the 5% or 10% isn't mandatory).

Really, two weeks isn't long enough to figure out if you like them, especially if you're not doing something like working fulltime out in the world, and spending lots of time in situations where you need/want to hear.

I returned them because I was:

• not given any choices of type or explanation as to why I was sold those particular hearing aids

Hearing aids have different fitting profiles, and the audiologist matches your hearing loss to hearing aids that will work for that loss.  Plus, not all audiologists carry every brand, so there's some inherent product limitation.

There's not a lot for a consumer to go on when it comes to the actual aid itself--the little computer in it and how it operates.  That's where the knowledge and expertise of the audiologist comes in. 

I recently read the results of a focus group of Medicare insurance agents, and they said they choose the companies they work with (sell policies for) based in large part on how it is for the agent to work with the company.  Notice there's no "consumer" in that.  Is the agent therefore not offering the "best" insurance for the consumer?  Who knows?  If the agent sells policies from several companies, chances are one of them really does fit what the consumer needs/wants.

The problem is that the consumer almost never knows the agent doesn't sell policies from every company under the sun.  You know a Honda dealer doesn't sell Chevrolets, but it's far more opaque when it comes to independent agents selling insurance.  And hearing aids.  Just something to be aware of.

But the consumer definitely should be given enough information to make an informed choice about the type of hearing aid (in-the-canal, behind the ear, etc.) and, of course, the most important factor--the color.  😀  (Although even that can be fraught.  The latest pair I got?  The dispenser said he'd never had anyone ask for blue or red or some other non-silver/non-flesh color.  This was in South Texas, which culturally probably wouldn't lean toward blue hearing aids.  I remember that at Costco in Austin, they had a burnt orange for true University of Texas fans, I presume.)

Anyway, it would never hurt to ask, "Why are you recommending this particular pair over any other pair?"  And it could be that for non-challenging hearing loss, the consumer doesn't necessarily need the top-of-the-line, most expensive pair.  Like for me, if a pair of hearing aids is expensive because of a lot of interactivity with a phone, like for doing adjustments on the fly, I don't want those features and I definitely don't want to pay extra just for that.  So move on down the food chain.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:40 PM, shapeshifter said:

The sensitive outer ears might be a deal-breaker on the ones that hang on your ear.  The receiver and unit are connected by a thin wire that comes in different lengths and can be shaped, so there might be some customization available; I don't know because I don't have this issue.  You might get it to sit at an angle or at a height that doesn't bother your ear as much, or it might bug you too much no matter what.

I'm the type who puts on and take off my reading glasses constantly, and I hate it when I'm wearing my hearing aids because of the clacking noise.  It's unendurable.  But people tend to be pretty successful wearing hearing aids and glasses simultaneously--I guess everything gets positioned and stay there.  And they can use my quip:  Can I have any more shit hanging off my head??

I had a terrible time with the little ones that go all the way in your ear because my ears move a lot, and it would work itself out within minutes, so I was constantly having to push it back down in there.  I finally figured out I wanted a mold that filled the whole open area, which is ugly but it keeps the hearing aid from moving (I'm function over form in most regards).

At some point I needed a new mold and a dispenser (I think he wasn't an audiologist but he used hearing aids) talked me into getting a silicone one.  I told him I liked acrylic because it keeps the hearing aid from moving, but he said he doesn't recommend acrylic because they're more likely to break if you drop them, and they're not as comfortable.  So I got the silicone and hated it because it wasn't rigid enough to keep my hearing aid from working its way out.

Lesson learned.  I remain an outlier.

That's actually one of the big advantages of these "open fit" hearing aids that are now available--they let in ambient sound and it gets mixed with the processed sound coming from the hearing aid (which never sounds completely natural).  If you have an aid that goes down in your canal or otherwise blocks the canal entirely, it blocks any ambient sound from reaching your ear (it acts like an earplug).   

With significant hearing loss, it doesn't matter because you're not going to be able to hear much of the ambient sound anyway.  But with lower levels of hearing loss, or when you have hearing loss only in certain frequencies (like old person hearing loss in high frequencies), you can hear some ambient sound, and it can make for more pleasant sound instead of getting 100% processed sound, which is good and definitely better than nothing, but it is different.  .

The reason open-fit hearing aids don't work for significant hearing loss is that the amplified processed sound goes down into your ear, but there's nothing blocking it from coming back out of your ear, resulting in feedback (kind of a whistling sound).  The same can happen with an ill-fitting mold--sound leaks out around it and gets amplified, resulting in feedback.

With less significant hearing loss, there's not as much amplification going on, and feedback can be fairly successfully managed by tweaking the settings.

Plus, molds that block the canal can lead to an occlusion effect, the most significant symptom being your own voice sounding real boom-y.  I hated it when I had mild hearing loss and used hearing aids that blocked the canal.

One way to address it is to put a vent in the mold, but I never found that to be all that helpful.  But the open-fit ones with the domes and not a mold?  I haven't experienced any occlusion at all.

• Thanks 1

Wow. Thanks, @StatisticalOutlier! That is a wealth of useful information.
I will reread it tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy.

For now:

10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But for another, I need to have my listening ears on if I want to be able to understand speech, and to do that I need some warning that speech is imminent.  I've asked Mr. Outlier a million times to just say "Hey" before he starts talking out of nowhere; if he does that it helps me immensely.

This👆 is a great tip!

11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Aren't you in New York?  New York mandates a 45-day trial period, although the dispenser can keep a certain percentage (either 5% or 10% depending on the type of dispenser, although I gather keeping the 5% or 10% isn't mandatory).

Really, two weeks isn't long enough to figure out if you like them, especially if you're not doing something like working fulltime out in the world, and spending lots of time in situations where you need/want to hear.

It probably was 45-days, and I just gave up after 2 weeks.

14 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I finally figured out I wanted a mold that filled the whole open area, which is ugly but it keeps the hearing aid from moving (I'm function over form in most regards).

I'm all about function too!

18 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Am I understanding you correctly that you need aides or have them  and don’t wear them?   During Covid lockdown I casually mentioned I only used  mine when I’m using the phone and both my son and a professional came unglued because not wearing them you have risk of cognitive decline.

That's certainly the party line.  I actually got concerned because I wear my hearing aids only when I'm going somewhere that I know will be unscripted--like "Do you want fries with that?"  I know that's what they said even if I didn't actually hear it, and I don't bother wearing my hearing aids.  But if I'm going to be talking to friends, or if I'm going to a movie in English, I always wear them.  But I never wear them when sitting around the house or watching TV.

So during the pandemic I wasn't wearing them at all

I wondered what specific damage not wearing my hearing aids could do, and couldn't really find any data.  They talk about recruitment, how if you don't use part of your brain for its usual task, it starts getting used for other tasks.  But I think that's just a general theory and hasn't been proved by fMRI scans or whatever in the case of auditory processing.  And even without my hearing aids, I do plenty of auditory processing, although on only one side.

And of course they talk about cognitive decline, but it's going to be real hard to prove that not wearing a hearing aid caused cognitive decline, or made it worse.  And when they talk about cognitive decline, they usually also talk about social isolation, which is one of the dangers of not using hearing aids when you need them.  But what if you cope well with social isolation, or actually prefer it--does that affect the likelihood of cognitive decline?  Is it becoming socially isolated because you have trouble hearing the problem?

And the latest study I've seen found that hearing aids slow cognitive decline only in people already at high risk of cognitive decline.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/hearing-aids-slow-cognitive-decline-people-high-risk

But even that article mentions social engagement as one factor they're going to look at.  What if social isolation or social engagement isn't a problem for you?

I used this example in another thread:  We're always told to avoid sugar and highly processed foods, and if they say why, they talk about the danger of obesity, and diabetes (which is often linked to obesity).  But what about a person who can eat a diet high in sugar and ultra-processed foods without being obese and without getting diabetes? 

I once did an experiment with fish oil and cholesterol.  I got my cholesterol tested and then started taking fish oil, and after a few months got my cholesterol tested again.  It was basically unchanged (and pretty much the same it's been my entire life).  I told the nurse who did the follow-up cholesterol test what I was up to, and I said, "So now I know I don't need to be taking the fish oil."  He said, "You should take it anyway."

Argh.

I'm all for "it can't hurt" with all sorts of stuff, but only if it's clear that's the basis for the recommendation.  Because it's true that there are probably no deleterious health effects from taking fish oil, but some of us would prefer not to take it unless we know it's doing some good, especially because supplements like that are lightly regulated at best, and who knows what's really in them.

And then we have the advice to take baby aspirin to prevent heart attacks.  That was definitely the party line for years, until it wasn't.  Now it's recommended that unless you're in a certain population, you don't take a baby aspirin every day because the risks outweigh the benefits.

But is that the end of the story?  What if you drill deeper and identify the risks and benefits and put them in your decision matrix?  What if you generally tolerate aspirin well and are deathly afraid of a stroke, and will do anything you can to prevent one, even if it causes intestinal bleeding, because you're okay with that but you really really really don't want to have a stroke? 

That's the person general recommendations don't speak to--someone who's ingested the information and applied it to his life and his values.  And I'm afraid that there are people who might benefit from doing that, but they don't even know it's an option, or they're too scared to go against the experts.

So back to the hearing aids--am I experiencing cognitive decline?  I call it that, but it's really just not remembering names and things like that (even though I can remember credit card numbers I haven't had for decades).  The other day I could NOT think of the name of the prince that isn't Charles or Andrew.  I even knew his wife's name is Sophie, even though I have only the most cursory interest in the royal family.  But I could NOT come up with Edward. 

And I'm the age (66) where people do start forgetting shit.  The question is whether it's worse than it would otherwise be, and there's no way to know that.  And if it could somehow be known that it is more advanced, there's definitely no way to know if it's because I don't wear my hearing aids when I'm watching TV or grocery shopping.

So I'm going with what makes me happy, which is wearing them only when I need them.  It works for me, and if it ends up biting me in the ass, oh well.  It's not like I didn't give it any thought.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for your empathy, but I'm actually not too bothered by the tinnitus sound itself. I'm fortunate to be one of those people who can tune it out, even though I did not have it until my 50s.

That's good to hear!  When I saw you say it was loud I got a different impression.  I can also tune mine out even when it's quiet.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had intense pain for 2 weeks after my RSV vaccine.
Hopefully the symptoms from your recent Covid vaccine will at least start getting better in another week.🤞

I too have been having poor sleep. I keep blaming myself for looking at my phone when I wake up at 3am. I should at least try not having it in the bedroom for a few nights.

Thanks.  I hope so too especially because I'm going to want to get a flu shot before I can travel next month.  One of Mr. Yeah No's former clients has been inviting us for years to visit his grand home in Bradenton, FL and we have been putting him off since the pandemic.  Given that my husband still does work for him occasionally we didn't want to keep putting him off any longer.  This guy is richer than rich and he and his girlfriend intend to pay for everything plus allow us the use of the "upstairs wing" of their huge home. 

So of course everyone thinks this is a fabulous invitation I'd be crazy to turn down, but these days since the pandemic and living through my own personal issues I am afraid of just about everything now.  Afraid of flying, having a medical issue, being hit by a storm, you name it.  And now I'm afraid of not feeling well because of what might be turning into Long Covid.  I'm still struggling with varying amounts of fatigue and loss of taste plus insomnia.  I was never a person riddled with fear until the Pandemic.  Losing my Dad, worrying about getting sick, being hyper-focused on germs (I'm a germaphobe from way back as it is), having had some scary medical events like vertigo, and turning 65 have all worked on me to the point that I'm now afraid of just about everything.  Add to this that the world is truly getting more dangerous by the minute from the local to the global level and my fears seem to grow every day.  I seriously don't even recognize myself anymore.  I want to find a therapist to help with this but have just been too bogged down in all I'm dealing with on a daily basis to do it.

And of course the lack of quality sleep isn't helping how I feel either.  I routinely fall asleep at 10:00 p.m. or so, wake up and find all sorts of chores that still need doing, find myself online, and then not get back to sleep until 3:00 a.m.  I might get 6 hours of sleep per night, which is not enough for me.  I need at least 7.  And I'm not getting enough REM sleep either which is not good.  

• Hugs 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's good to hear!  When I saw you say it was loud I got a different impression.  I can also tune mine out even when it's quiet.

Thanks.  I hope so too especially because I'm going to want to get a flu shot before I can travel next month.  One of Mr. Yeah No's former clients has been inviting us for years to visit his grand home in Bradenton, FL and we have been putting him off since the pandemic.  Given that my husband still does work for him occasionally we didn't want to keep putting him off any longer.  This guy is richer than rich and he and his girlfriend intend to pay for everything plus allow us the use of the "upstairs wing" of their huge home. 

So of course everyone thinks this is a fabulous invitation I'd be crazy to turn down, but these days since the pandemic and living through my own personal issues I am afraid of just about everything now.  Afraid of flying, having a medical issue, being hit by a storm, you name it.  And now I'm afraid of not feeling well because of what might be turning into Long Covid.  I'm still struggling with varying amounts of fatigue and loss of taste plus insomnia.  I was never a person riddled with fear until the Pandemic.  Losing my Dad, worrying about getting sick, being hyper-focused on germs (I'm a germaphobe from way back as it is), having had some scary medical events like vertigo, and turning 65 have all worked on me to the point that I'm now afraid of just about everything.  Add to this that the world is truly getting more dangerous by the minute from the local to the global level and my fears seem to grow every day.  I seriously don't even recognize myself anymore.  I want to find a therapist to help with this but have just been too bogged down in all I'm dealing with on a daily basis to do it.

And of course the lack of quality sleep isn't helping how I feel either.  I routinely fall asleep at 10:00 p.m. or so, wake up and find all sorts of chores that still need doing, find myself online, and then not get back to sleep until 3:00 a.m.  I might get 6 hours of sleep per night, which is not enough for me.  I need at least 7.  And I'm not getting enough REM sleep either which is not good.  

Not only are you and I experiencing very similar reactions to our equivalent (although not the same) life stressors, but I bet most of the current, world-wide instances of humans running amok are just variations on this theme.
There may be some truth to the adage that “misery loves company,” but perhaps the proportion of miserable people world-wide is reaching a tipping point of some sort.

But maybe the billions of us can erupt with a spontaneous primal scream which will generate enough energy to…IDK🤷🏻‍♀️…solve some problem?
Not likely.
But maybe?

Although specifically in reference to wearing hearing aids in an as-needed manner, @StatisticalOutlier kind of sums up nicely what we can do in making our decisions in general:

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

So I'm going with what makes me happy, which is wearing them only when I need them.  It works for me, and if it ends up biting me in the ass, oh well.  It's not like I didn't give it any thought.

— to which the ol’ medical philosophy of “do no harm” is assumed to be applied, heh, “as needed.”

@Yeah No, maybe going to Florida now that it’s getting cold outside would be good for convalescing?

I’m not sure either.

Dad moved my Mom and himself to Hawaii in the 1980s after a neighbor died of a heart attack while shoveling snow (Dad had taken one look at Florida and hated it).
Overall, a lot of good came from his decision, but I still remember my Mom laughing when I suggested in the 2010s that Dad should have just bought a snowblower (so he wouldn’t have to shovel snow) and moved just 10 miles east to a place by the the lovely Forest Park Beach in Lake Forest, IL on Lake Michigan.🙃  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

I don't know what's wrong with me. A couple weeks ago, I was sick-(just call it the flu!)-the doctor at urgent care said it was "an upper respiratory viral infection." That just sounds like a new, fandangled buzz phrase, since the symptoms were very flu-like. Anyhoo. It was NyQuil and home remedies (ginger/clove chai) that helped me recover from most of it. I'm still a bit congested-I sound like a heavy smoker, and the cough is still lingering. 

But yesterday? Had some soup. And a half hour later, my head is over the toilet for the next 20 minutes. Hats off to all the women who deal with this during pregnancy; don't know how you do it. Anyway, I'm weak; dizzy. Then right before bed, I notice these red dots on upper cheek under the eyes and side of my nose! Did I contract some weird disease?! By this  morning, it was gone. I guess they showed up as a result of me losing everything but my stomach lining and lungs.

I just haven't been right since that hideous trial last May. I'm afraid to eat what never used to bother me, and what I do eat isn't really filling. I did enjoy some really good food at my niece's baby shower this past Sunday. We Desis make it an EVENT. It's how we roll, and I had the excuse to wear a sari and chudis.

But I digress. Urgent care is just useless. I'm seeing my doctor next week, because I just don't have the energy to drive across town to see him this week. I think I'll go back to the doctor I had pre-cancer after as her office is 10 minutes away.

And speaking of cancer, my ENTIRE original oncology team is...GONE. Nurses retired; oncologist now in a research department or some such. At least my breast surgeon is still there and I've been assured the new oncologist is good. Even the plastic surgeon who did my reconstruction is now at Kaiser. DAMMIT.

But I was really lucky-I had the best team during my surgeries, and post-op and chemo treatments. I really don't handle changes in doctors very well. Since I seem to lose them after 10 or 20 years.

I have an appointment with new oncologist next week too. To get some genetic testing done, since the original was 9 nine years ago and the things they test for with the BRAC is different now. Sigh...

I need my energy back. Diwali is coming up in three weeks. Maybe I'll try and see if the nutritionist I was seeing when first diagnosed with Diabetes, can help. I know I stopped seeing her because her idea of "portion control" was basically to starve myself. I'll ask my doctor for a recommendation for one who's not so extreme.

• Hugs 5
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know what's wrong with me. A couple weeks ago, I was sick-(just call it the flu!)-the doctor at urgent care said it was "an upper respiratory viral infection." That just sounds like a new, fandangled buzz phrase, since the symptoms were very flu-like. Anyhoo. It was NyQuil and home remedies (ginger/clove chai) that helped me recover from most of it. I'm still a bit congested-I sound like a heavy smoker, and the cough is still lingering. 

But yesterday? Had some soup. And a half hour later, my head is over the toilet for the next 20 minutes. Hats off to all the women who deal with this during pregnancy; don't know how you do it. Anyway, I'm weak; dizzy. Then right before bed, I notice these red dots on upper cheek under the eyes and side of my nose! Did I contract some weird disease?! By this  morning, it was gone. I guess they showed up as a result of me losing everything but my stomach lining and lungs.

I just haven't been right since that hideous trial last May. I'm afraid to eat what never used to bother me, and what I do eat isn't really filling. I did enjoy some really good food at my niece's baby shower this past Sunday. We Desis make it an EVENT. It's how we roll, and I had the excuse to wear a sari and chudis.

But I digress. Urgent care is just useless. I'm seeing my doctor next week, because I just don't have the energy to drive across town to see him this week. I think I'll go back to the doctor I had pre-cancer after as her office is 10 minutes away....

That sounds pretty rough. 
My I talked to my oldest daughter on the phone last night, and she described a similarly terrible bout with "an upper respiratory viral infection" (I think she said "a bad cold") that lasted for a couple of weeks. 
She said she came down with it after visiting some friends with a small child who came down with it right after her visit.

About your latest plague:
Did you eat something that might have been spoiled? Especially meat or egg products?

I wonder if the red dots after a lot of vomiting could "just" be broken blood vessels from the force of vomiting while hanging over the toilet. Especially if they went away so quickly. 🧸

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

...And speaking of cancer, my ENTIRE original oncology team is...GONE. Nurses retired; oncologist now in a research department or some such. At least my breast surgeon is still there and I've been assured the new oncologist is good. Even the plastic surgeon who did my reconstruction is now at Kaiser. DAMMIT.

But I was really lucky-I had the best team during my surgeries, and post-op and chemo treatments. I really don't handle changes in doctors very well. Since I seem to lose them after 10 or 20 years.

I have an appointment with new oncologist next week too. To get some genetic testing done, since the original was 9 nine years ago and the things they test for with the BRAC is different now. Sigh...

I need my energy back. Diwali is coming up in three weeks. Maybe I'll try and see if the nutritionist I was seeing when first diagnosed with Diabetes, can help. I know I stopped seeing her because her idea of "portion control" was basically to starve myself. I'll ask my doctor for a recommendation for one who's not so extreme.

I still have fond memories of one of my oncology surgeons back in Illinois. 

Some months ago I messaged my main oncologist from Illinois to ask whether I needed to continue CEA blood tests 7 year post-stage IV colon cancer (he said it was optional). 
I sent him a picture of the watercolor I painted of my daughter and grandson, which he appreciated. Over 80% of his patients who have what I had do not survive, so such an image of life is probably more meaningful to him than even my daughter.

But it's really difficult starting over with new doctors in a new city. 
Recently a young doctor asked me the same questions 3 times. My answers were all "no" but she was not able to believe me, and wound up writing up a diagnosis that was not possible based upon my responses. I went back and am now waiting for biopsy results.

• Hugs 5
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About your latest plague:
Did you eat something that might have been spoiled? Especially meat or egg products?

I wonder if the red dots after a lot of vomiting could "just" be broken blood vessels from the force of vomiting while hanging over the toilet. Especially if they went away so quickly. 🧸

I don't think so. I know I had some leftover food I ate for lunch on Monday night. Maybe that was it? I just had the Campbell's Creamy Tomato soup, which I also had when initially sick, and nothing ever happened before. But Lord, I hope this never happens again.

That's what a friend suggested when I told them. Feeling better today, had oatmeal this morning, and so far, so good.

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I still have fond memories of one of my oncology surgeons back in Illinois. 

I had the BEST team of nurses and doctors and schedulers and stickers*

I'm told the new oncologist is also good; but we'll see.

*I had to get shots the day after my chemo; and periodically get blood work done to check my blood cell count.

• Like 3

My surgical oncologist moved out of town a few months ago, so now for follow up I am seeing a nurse-practitioner while they are searching for a replacement. Apparently it is incredibly difficult to attract doctors to my neck of the woods due to our housing prices; so you know its crazy expensive when even doctors can't afford to live here. My first mammogram since my mastectomy came back all clear last week so I am still doing the happy dance of joy. (Gals: silver lining to a mastectomy - your mammograms take half the time :) I have a separate, medical oncologist for everything else whom I see every three weeks after they do a blood draw and then he sends me on for my infusions (which I keep insisting are just H2O, given that I have experienced zero side effects despite being quizzed assiduously each and every time). This will go on until May with alternating MRIs and mammograms every 6 months. Bring it!! F**k cancer! (Get your mammograms!!)

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

My dad was wondering where a co-worker was.  It turns out he’s on a ventilator. :( I don’t know if it’s Covid, but I’m assuming that’s what it is.  They tried to take him off twice, but had to put him back on.  
I’m still masking up, and need to make an appointment for the vaccine.  I still need to see the dentist, but my cat needed the vet again, and now my dog is showing his age a bit. I want to be vaccinated before I get that close to a stranger, without a mask on.  

Okay, my iPad isn’t working well with the site again. It just reloaded on me, as I tried to respond to something else.  

• Hugs 1
On 10/26/2023 at 11:22 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think so. I know I had some leftover food I ate for lunch on Monday night. Maybe that was it? I just had the Campbell's Creamy Tomato soup, which I also had when initially sick, and nothing ever happened before. But Lord, I hope this never happens again.

That's what a friend suggested when I told them. Feeling better today, had oatmeal this morning, and so far, so good.

I had the BEST team of nurses and doctors and schedulers and stickers*

I'm told the new oncologist is also good; but we'll see.

*I had to get shots the day after my chemo; and periodically get blood work done to check my blood cell count.

Tofu gave me food poisoning, a year ago.  I had an iced chai, which helps, sipping it, and I have charcoal on hand, but it doesn’t always help.  
I make a simple congee now, in my instant pot, to test the waters, when I’m off oatmeal. I make it in my instant pot, and then add liquid aminos to each serving.   I couldn’t always handle that, even, with my usual stomach condition, but it sometimes helps.  

• Like 1
On 10/16/2023 at 3:36 AM, shapeshifter said:

Not only are you and I experiencing very similar reactions to our equivalent (although not the same) life stressors, but I bet most of the current, world-wide instances of humans running amok are just variations on this theme.
There may be some truth to the adage that “misery loves company,” but perhaps the proportion of miserable people world-wide is reaching a tipping point of some sort.

But maybe the billions of us can erupt with a spontaneous primal scream which will generate enough energy to…IDK🤷🏻‍♀️…solve some problem?
Not likely.
But maybe?

Although specifically in reference to wearing hearing aids in an as-needed manner, @StatisticalOutlier kind of sums up nicely what we can do in making our decisions in general:

— to which the ol’ medical philosophy of “do no harm” is assumed to be applied, heh, “as needed.”

@Yeah No, maybe going to Florida now that it’s getting cold outside would be good for convalescing?

I’m not sure either.

Dad moved my Mom and himself to Hawaii in the 1980s after a neighbor died of a heart attack while shoveling snow (Dad had taken one look at Florida and hated it).
Overall, a lot of good came from his decision, but I still remember my Mom laughing when I suggested in the 2010s that Dad should have just bought a snowblower (so he wouldn’t have to shovel snow) and moved just 10 miles east to a place by the the lovely Forest Park Beach in Lake Forest, IL on Lake Michigan.🙃  

I’ve been trying to perk up, but it doesn’t happen for long. I’d be in on that primal scream, if it would help anything.  I need help getting out of my head, but I don’t talk much to people, other than comments on social media, or here, because I don’t want to pass on the misery.  I’m worried about my dad, my dog, my cats - all I have left - terrified when it comes to any potential future for me, or everyone, at times. Denial is the only place that really gives me some peace, for a while. 
I almost vented, but I won’t.  I need to shower, and get outside, before this weather goes away.  I suppose I did vent, but not completely. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 5

So I went to see my new oncologist. She’s very nice and very easy to talk with about what I need to do.

Good news is I only need to see her annually, as I would for my eyes or gynecologist exam(NOT PAP). I did get some blood work done and I found another great sticker! Didn’t even feel the needle going in!

We did agree since it’s been nine years, to do another genetic/BRAC testing, which I’ve scheduled for in two weeks. First time, they drew blood; this time they only need a saliva test.

But she did confirm I don’t need any more mammograms as the tissue in my boobs isn’t breast tissue. So whew, as I stopped after my reconstruction.

And on a purely superficial note: I’ve gained 3 pounds, DAMMIT! I need to add another cardio regimen. I’m determined to lose those extra 10!

But I’m still so damned TIRED.

Oh. After three weeks, I’m back to normal-meaning my voice no longer sounds like I’m a three pack a day smoker; coughing is gone. But the fatigue is still there along with sleeplessness. Well, actually tossing and turning. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

snip

We did agree since it’s been nine years, to do another genetic/BRAC testing, which I’ve scheduled for in two weeks. First time, they drew blood; this time they only need a saliva test.

But she did confirm I don’t need any more mammograms as the tissue in my boobs isn’t breast tissue. So whew, as I stopped after my reconstruction.

Interesting I had my 10 year anniversary of my double mastectomy in Aug. I had no recon so there is nothing there to mammogram. No one ever said anything about redoing the BRAC testing this far out. I didn't have the gene when tested back in 2013. Maybe because I don't have anything to test now it isn't necessary? I'm putting that on my list to ask at my next pcp appointment. Haven't seen the Oncologist in 8 or so years.

Yeah it is kind of great not having to have mammograms any more!

Glad you are feeling better!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

No one ever said anything about redoing the BRAC testing this far out.

That was my question as well. But since they now test for other...markers, I guess? I just want to make sure.

Yeah, I love not having to suffer through what I always referred to as the pancake press.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Same for me!  I had double surveillance before mastectomies:  MRI once a year and mammogram once a year on alternating six months. 

This is now my schedule as I still have one breast left (the left one!). So a bit of angst every six months but I can take it. No gynecological stuff though as I had all my inside lady parts out 17 years ago due to fibroid tumors (figured I would have them take everything, and SO glad I did).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, isalicat said:

This is now my schedule as I still have one breast left (the left one!). So a bit of angst every six months but I can take it. No gynecological stuff though as I had all my inside lady parts out 17 years ago due to fibroid tumors (figured I would have them take everything, and SO glad I did).

I had the same. Well, partial in 2011, and then had the complete removed in late 2018-remember how I posted that I thought I was hemorrhaging because I returned to my contract job early? And had emergency surgery?

Still, with my history, I go for exams.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2023 at 3:36 AM, shapeshifter said:

I’m not sure either.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Thankfully I've almost fully recovered from my Covid symptoms.  I say "almost" because I still have some lingering issues with taste early in the morning. 

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago and I had a feeling before doing it that it might help to get rid of the lingering Covid symptoms by giving my immune system a distraction, LOL.  I think I was right because a few days later the fatigue was gone and my taste got a little better.  I can taste food fine, but the delicate taste of my morning tea is not where it should be.  All in all, though, I'm past the fatigue, insomnia and other weirdness.  I have an appointment with my ear/nose/throat doctor in late November to address the taste issue.  Until then I'm taking all the supplements recommended for this issue and using my humidifier at night.  Those things seem to be helping but not enough to get rid of it altogether.

As far as the trip goes, I'm bucking up and reminding myself how safe air travel is in general.  It would be more dangerous to drive there and I wouldn't be as afraid of that, so I have to keep reminding myself how irrational this fear is.  So far the weather predictions are good for the date of travel so that also helps.  We splurged and used flyer miles for an upgrade to 1st class, which also helps.  I'll still wear my mask, though!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago and I had a feeling before doing it that it might help to get rid of the lingering Covid symptoms by giving my immune system a distraction, LOL.  I think I was right because a few days later the fatigue was gone and my taste got a little better

Interesting.

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

We splurged and used flyer miles for an upgrade to 1st class, which also helps.  I'll still wear my mask, though!

Cool. 
My understanding is that wearing masks in the airport is crucial, whereas inside the airplane when the air filtration system is working it is okay to remove your mask — especially if you’re fully vaccinated — and having recently had Covid should grant you even more immunity.

✈️

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Interesting.

Cool. 
My understanding is that wearing masks in the airport is crucial, whereas inside the airplane when the air filtration system is working it is okay to remove your mask — especially if you’re fully vaccinated — and having recently had Covid should grant you even more immunity.

✈️

Thanks, I was thinking about not wearing the mask on the plane for that reason.  You've given me extra courage to do so!

My doctor told me that they're not seeing the prolonged period of immunity to these newest variants which is one reason she encouraged me to get the shot ASAP.  Although the most recent medical articles are still saying there's about 3 months of protection after you've had it and possibly even more if you get the newest vaccine.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks, I was thinking about not wearing the mask on the plane for that reason.  You've given me extra courage to do so!

My doctor told me that they're not seeing the prolonged period of immunity to these newest variants which is one reason she encouraged me to get the shot ASAP.  Although the most recent medical articles are still saying there's about 3 months of protection after you've had it and possibly even more if you get the newest vaccine.

I *just* read this NYTimes article* that similarly says: 

If you caught the coronavirus in the past three months, you’re fairly well protected against it. You can still become reinfected within that window, but it’s far less likely, because the variants circulating are similar.

and also gives this caveat:

“It continues to be a moving target, and I think that continues to be hard for people,” said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco.

When traveling among strangers, we like to follow the “When in Rome…” philosophy.
I stumbled upon a workaround when I had a sore throat and explained to some unmasked people (who had entered the stuffy space where I was mixing the pool test chemicals) as I donned my mask that I had a sore throat.
To be honest, I was mostly masking in case they had Covid.

They thanked me (for my consideration).
Who knows?
Perhaps they at least considered putting on masks in the future when they felt sick or even thought they’d been exposed?
——————

* “gift” link to free article 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I stumbled upon a workaround when I had a sore throat and explained to some unmasked people (who had entered the stuffy space where I was mixing the pool test chemicals) as I donned my mask that I had a sore throat.
To be honest, I was mostly masking in case they had Covid.

I have done this, masking and saying I had a cough. If it makes someone else mask or keep their distance, that is a win. Also, if I am sick, I do mask because I care about not spreading it. (I am vaccinated).

Edited by nokat
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

As far as the trip goes, I'm bucking up and reminding myself how safe air travel is in general.  It would be more dangerous to drive there and I wouldn't be as afraid of that, so I have to keep reminding myself how irrational this fear is. 

No matter that we call it "irrational," but fear is real and shouldn't be dismissed.  Things to lessen that fear don't necessarily feel rational, but whatever helps you get through it, as in bring your teddy or watch a favorite show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, nokat said:

No matter that we call it "irrational," but fear is real and shouldn't be dismissed.  Things to lessen that fear don't necessarily feel rational, but whatever helps you get through it, as in bring your teddy or watch a favorite show.

Yes. 
But also trust your instincts.
It can seem sensible to do what everyone else is doing — and it often is, as in following the flow out of the subway — but if something seems "off" or not quite right, trust yourself.
Related:
I made my mistakes in judgement when traveling when I was sleep deprived.
And, of course, adequate sleep is crucial to fighting off infection.
— as is keeping hydrated, especially with water.

A positive flying health-related experience:
I just remembered a long red-eye flight at least 10 years ago in which my seat mate was obviously very ill with an upper-respiratory infection. He was in the aisle; I had the window.
I hugged that window the entire flight, keeping my face pointed away from him, and did not catch whatever he had.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. 
But also trust your instincts.
It can seem sensible to do what everyone else is doing

Yes to trusting your instincts.  Some instincts fight with reality, as in air travel. Statistics say you are safer in the air than driving. Then there are the times where you just don't trust someone or a situation, then it is rational to get away. I've had a couple situations where my instinct probably saved me.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A positive flying health-related experience:
I just remembered a long red-eye flight at least 10 years ago in which my seat mate was obviously very ill with an upper-respiratory infection. He was in the aisle; I had the window.
I hugged that window the entire flight, keeping my face pointed away from him, and did not catch whatever he had.

I know I've probably told this story before, but on my first flight ever, way back in 1984 on Virgin Atlantic coming home from London I was seated behind an older British gent who was coughing and blowing his nose all the way home (and apologizing for it).  I knew I was a sitting duck.  I tried to cover my face and hug the window pointed away from him but it didn't help.  I got the worst flu of my entire life.  I was in bed for 2 weeks straight, lost my voice, my taste and had a fever of 103.  I was even delirious.  Thank goodness I was only 26.  I don't know how well I would have fared if that happened to me today.   I was traveling with my parents but we were in different rows not far from each other because we couldn't get adjacent seats.  Thankfully my parents didn't get sick.  

When I was young I caught everything.  I worked in the front of the undergrad. Admissions Office at my alma mater and had to talk to prospective students all day long.  I caught everything they had.  It was ridiculous.  I know I'm not immunocompromised but I've always been like that.  I recently read an interesting article that claimed there is new evidence to show that some people catch things more easily because of certain conditions in their sinuses that make transmission easier.  I've always known I had weird sinuses for several reasons so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm one of those people.   They say that certain new nasal sprays being developed target that issue and create a barrier to catching viruses that way.  I'm going to have to stay abreast of this subject as it continues to progress.

19 hours ago, nokat said:

Yes to trusting your instincts.  Some instincts fight with reality, as in air travel. Statistics say you are safer in the air than driving. Then there are the times where you just don't trust someone or a situation, then it is rational to get away. I've had a couple situations where my instinct probably saved me.

I should always trust my gut, it's truly uncanny most of the time.  It was going nuts back in 1999 when a friend from out of town asked me to take him to see the World Trade Center.  I told him I'd go but I wasn't crazy about the idea because after the '93 bombing I was sure the terrorists were going to come back to bomb the building again.  He chuckled and told me he doubted that would happen and that they would find other targets if they ever came back.  The entire time I was there I was like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs and even started feeling dread when walking out on the concourse outside.  When he asked me why I felt dread I told him I didn't know but I just felt a great sense of loss like I was losing everyone that ever meant anything to me.  I couldn't explain it any better than that.   I'm sure he thought I was nuts but he knew me well enough to know this was not the norm for me by far.  And it wasn't. 

Anyway, 2 years later on September 12, 2001 he called me from Seattle to tell me I was right.  I don't talk about it much but I've always been a little fey.  I think my father was too and he didn't even really know it.  Since his death 3 years ago I feel that he has sent me a couple of messages from the "other side" that only I would understand.  Both of them were very similar but I don't want to go too far off topic and take up too much bandwidth.

• Hugs 2
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

my first flight ever, way back in 1984 on Virgin Atlantic coming home from London I was seated behind an older British gent who was coughing and blowing his nose all the way home (and apologizing for it).  I knew I was a sitting duck.  I tried to cover my face and hug the window pointed away from him but it didn't help.  I got the worst flu of my entire life.  I was in bed for 2 weeks straight, lost my voice, my taste and had a fever of 103.  I was even delirious.  Thank goodness I was only 26.  I don't know how well I would have fared if that happened to me today.   I was traveling with my parents but we were in different rows not far from each other because we couldn't get adjacent seats.  Thankfully my parents didn't get sick.  

When I was young I caught everything.  I worked in the front of the undergrad. Admissions Office at my alma mater and had to talk to prospective students all day long.  I caught everything they had.  It was ridiculous.  I know I'm not immunocompromised but I've always been like that.  I recently read an interesting article that claimed there is new evidence to show that some people catch things more easily because of certain conditions in their sinuses that make transmission easier.  I've always known I had weird sinuses for several reasons so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm one of those people.   They say that certain new nasal sprays being developed target that issue and create a barrier to catching viruses that way.  I'm going to have to stay abreast of this subject as it continues to progress.

I was wondering why or why not you wouldn’t have had flu vaccines when working with the public in an undergrad admissions office, but Googling reveals the flu vaccine wasn’t even recommended for adults until 2010 (cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/rr/rr7202a1.htm#introduction)
— which is when I was working with college students and started getting the flu shot, with good-to-excellent results.

I hadn’t realized flu shots were not recommended for adults until that recently. 
Better late than never (I guess?!?) on recognizing that the caretakers of children and advisors of young adults need to be healthy.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was wondering why or why not you wouldn’t have had flu vaccines when working with the public in an undergrad admissions office, but Googling reveals the flu vaccine wasn’t even recommended for adults until 2010 (cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/rr/rr7202a1.htm#introduction)
— which is when I was working with college students and started getting the flu shot, with good-to-excellent results.

I hadn’t realized flu shots were not recommended for adults until that recently. 
Better late than never (I guess?!?) on recognizing that the caretakers of children and advisors of young adults need to be healthy.

That's really interesting!  I didn't know that.  I know I started getting a flu shot every year at some point because of my tendency but I don't remember exactly when.  I know it was after 1984 though, probably because of that experience and my doctor's recommendation.  Getting the flu shot every year didn't prevent me from getting the flu and every nasty cold that came down the pike, though.  And when I got sick it wasn't just a head cold ever.  I would get a "bed cold" and need to take at least one day off from work if not more.  People would cough and sneeze right at me back then and then would give me the five heads look when I would ask them politely to keep their distance.   When hand sanitizer first became a thing I always had it with me.  What people started doing because of the pandemic I had already been doing for YEARS.  All except for mask wearing.  But no one thought of that until the pandemic to be fair.  We think so differently about these things now.  

I did start to get sick less often after getting a job where I had my own area and didn't sit too close to anyone.  And after the sanitizer.  And after being more able to ask people to keep their distance if they were sick.  But I still got sick more often than I'd have liked.  I read somewhere online that getting 3-4 colds a year is considered normal but for me those are always much bigger events than for most people.

Speaking of thinking differently, when I see reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" where Sheldon is made fun of for being such a germaphobe, I still laugh, but now I laugh because today he wouldn't look so crazy.  Once, when he had to go to a hospital to visit someone I kept thinking that all he would have to do is get a surgical mask if it made him feel better.  Today I wouldn't even set foot into a hospital without one.  He was so crazy with worry that he inadvertently walked into a room where someone was in bed with an infectious disease with nurses around them wearing hazmat suits.  Of course he ends up in quarantine along with them.  Today that's funny for a different reason.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

What people started doing because of the pandemic I had already been doing for YEARS.  All except for mask wearing.  But no one thought of that until the pandemic to be fair.  We think so differently about these things now.  

Likewise, although I've been longing for social acceptance of masks since the 2002–2004 outbreak of SARS when there were images from Japan and elsewhere of people masking, including cutely decorated masks.

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I read somewhere online that getting 3-4 colds a year is considered normal

More Old Lady👵🏻 advice for the cold-and-flu season:

When I still worked closely with sick college students, the real game-changer for me was to be extra careful to not touch my eyes or nose without first washing and drying my hands. (Due to eczema, I rarely use hand sanitizer.)
I rarely got sick.
Once I carelessly touched my eye with an unwashed finger, and did get a bad cold.

Now I do a nasal flush with distilled water after spending time with my grandchild.
That is my new game changer (in addition to continuing to touch my eyes or nose in his presence without first washing my hands).

</👵🏻>

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I read somewhere online that getting 3-4 colds a year is considered normal

Well, I'm certainly doing well -- I've probably only had 3-4 colds in the last 15-20 years!  I've only had the flu twice in my life. 

I certainly can't claim it's because I am some genius at avoiding germs  - I'm quite the opposite, actually; I only wash my hands when I get something on them, and fundamentally I don't give a shit about "regular" viruses and bacteria, only the things that could be dangerous to me (for which I get vaccinated and reduce my exposure risk based on how prevalent they are and how they're transmitted) - I just have always seemed to have an above-average immune system.  (Same with my dad, so maybe I inherited it; I've never looked into whether some of us can be genetically predisposed to greater protection than others.)

With the significant exception of ear infections when I was a little kid.  Hoo boy, I got a lot of those.  Thankfully I grew out of it just as the doctor was talking about my possibly needing those tubes.

(I took so much liquid amoxicillin [the bubblegum flavored stuff that thankfully I liked] I might have antimicrobial resistance to this day and if ever prescribed amoxicillin as an antibiotic again I would request a different drug to which the particular bacteria was sensitive just in case, it was such a pattern for a while.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's not because I take great pains to avoid germs - the opposite, really; I don't give a shit about "regular" viruses and bacteria

I find this interesting, because a lot of those are beneficial, so if we sanitize too much we get rid of the good along with the bad.

I do the hand washing and try to not touch my eyes or nose while in public. 

• Like 2

August 30 I got my RSV vaccine (I'm now age 70) and had such severe muscle pain that I could barely get out of bed for a week. 

This past Saturday I spent time playing with and close to my grand-toddler, who was then diagnosed with RSV on Monday. (He's fine except for a cough.)

I had done a nasal flush with salt+purified water Saturday night (as I always do after spending time with him) which my former PCP in Illinois had recommended when working with sick people.

Monday night, my dominant hand wrist felt a little strained/sprained. It became terribly painful in a way that reminded me of my back and leg pain after the RSV shot. My left hand was useless. I thought maybe I had managed to sprain it and just not noticed??
Now, 24 hours later, it is almost all better. 
I have no other symptoms.
So maybe Hurray for the RSV vaccine? 🙃💉🙂

Update: Woke up with a small sore throat.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1