Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

Your aunt was cheap! 🤣

She was but she was also cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Her father killed her mother and then turned the gun on himself. She found them. My uncle married her in secret right after that and they didn't tell anyone for a year but she was never "right".

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 8

I had a neighbor who was one of five girls. Her dad wanted to keep trying for a boy, but her mom said ENOUGH. And she was the only sister who could not have kids so she was very chatty with everyone out of boredom?! Then she turned into a crazy woman and I stopped talking to her!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I'm an only with an only.  I was given a hard time for being an only, because I didn't have to share.  The things was that there was very little to share, so I was never spoiled as I was accused of.

I didn't know how to share until kindergarten and kids in my class got mad at me (as did the teacher).  Let's just say I learned pretty quickly.  I made sure my son knew before he started.  Especially when he didn't even SEE other kids his age until preschool, thanks to the pandemic.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Well. Just found out I don’t have to go to jury duty on Monday after all. Three times summoned and canceled all three times lol. 

I was kind of looking forward to a shortened work week and that $9 check my county pays jurors. 🤣 Maybe the fourth time will be the charm. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She was but she was also cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Her father killed her mother and then turned the gun on himself. She found them. My uncle married her in secret right after that and they didn't tell anyone for a year but she was never "right".

OMG that’s awful. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Well. Just found out I don’t have to go to jury duty on Monday after all. Three times summoned and canceled all three times lol. 

I was kind of looking forward to a shortened work week and that $9 check my county pays jurors. 🤣 Maybe the fourth time will be the charm. 

I got paid $40 for 1 day for jury duty many years ago lol

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

We had three.  After the third, he wanted two more.  I was 34 then.  It was enough for me.

If we hadn’t split up when my 3rd was a toddler, my seemingly over abundant maternal hormones + his similar tendencies would have = a 4th. 
Thank goodness *that* didn’t happen!
A millennial work friend (now long-distance friend) had 5 kids before she and her ex split — despite my suggestions that 1 was enough (and 2, 3, etc.).

But my 3 were all about 5 years apart, so the first was an only for 5 years, and the last was an only from middle school.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I didn't know how to share until kindergarten and kids in my class got mad at me (as did the teacher).  Let's just say I learned pretty quickly.  I made sure my son knew before he started.  Especially when he didn't even SEE other kids his age until preschool, thanks to the pandemic.  

That’s good to hear he’s not permanently socially impacted by the isolation of the pandemic. Kids are resilient.

I am so happy to see pictures of my little grandson in daycare (and now preschool) interacting so sweetly with his classmates. 
He also has a lot of cousins nearby.
I think one is enough, but soon he’ll have a brother, which is probably best so his parents can spread out their angst.😉

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I'm an only with an only.  I was given a hard time for being an only, because I didn't have to share.  The things was that there was very little to share, so I was never spoiled as I was accused of.

I’m an only to a single mom. We were dirt poor. Like you kids assumed as an only I was spoiled. Far from it! I wish my sperm donor paid child support maybe then life would have been tolerable. 

But it is what it is. When my mom died I let go of all my negative emotions toward the sperm donor. He is dead to me. 

Hug to you!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 7
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I need to get peacheslatour and Ancaster to come over and iron a humongous pile of clothes on my ironing board.  Ironing used to be ok but I now loathe doing it. So boring (when I could be on my smartphone 😁)

Take them to your local dry cleaner for pressing service. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Really? I can take freshly washed clothes to a dry cleaners for pressing? I need to look into this!!

Double check your local locations and you may need to contact a few different businesses since they tend to be independent and services vary. In my experience it is a service they offer. With the pandemic dry cleaners started offering services beyond pressing. Some even do laundry for you.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Double check your local locations and you may need to contact a few different businesses since they tend to be independent and services vary. In my experience it is a service they offer. With the pandemic dry cleaners started offering services beyond pressing. Some even do laundry for you.

When I had a dry cleaner, they also did mending and alterations.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Yes, you're such a Law and Order fan, they should let you serve!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

My mother was not extravagant but she managed to outgrow the most extreme depression thriftiness as she and my father improved their circumstances. But she had this insane compulsion to keep using threadbare towels. She had new ones but she wouldn’t use them. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone watch the” Golden Bachelor” last night?  Fabulous!  Women in their sixties and seventies all decked out with gowns and high heels.  Lots of Botox too.

I was put off bya reviewer who said he was disappointed by all the botox/plastic surgery and paucity of "normal" looking or naturally aged women.  ☹️

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My mother was not extravagant but she managed to outgrow the most extreme depression thriftiness as she and my father improved their circumstances. But she had this insane compulsion to keep using threadbare towels. She had new ones but she wouldn’t use them. 

My mother claimed to like the threadbare towels.  

• Wink 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

We had three.  After the third, he wanted two more.  I was 34 then.  It was enough for me.

My husband saw Your, Mine and Ours too many times, he wanted 6 - we compromised on 2.

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My mother was not extravagant but she managed to outgrow the most extreme depression thriftiness as she and my father improved their circumstances.

One of my favourite memories of my mother has to be when she and Dad finally reached a point of such financial security that she told me she went to Holt Renfrew (high end Canadian dept, store at the time) and "I bought 2 dresses because I wanted them and I didn't even look at the price tags!".  I loved that for her.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

She sounds like my late MIL.  Yikes! The towels we had to use when visiting and we gave her some nice towels as gifts (they were probably still in gift wrap somewhere in the house). She had grown up very poor during the depression, out in the country in MI. Later on she had enough income in her marriage, raising a family. But that poverty never leaves a lot of  people, especially if it was severe.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Anela said:

My county health department mentioned having covid shots available, but only for people with insurance. I don't have insurance, so I didn't go for one.

Check this out - COVID shots are free to everyone, regardless of insurance.

(I got my $150 back from Walgreens this morning after they mistakenly charged me.

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-care-uninsured-individuals/index.html#:~:text=COVID-19 vaccines are 100,you do not have insurance.

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I shared a big bedroom with my older sister until I was about 9. We were lucky that my godmother made exquisite dresses for us when we were young. She should've had her own business, creating party clothes for little girls. Even the buttons were unique.

I shared with my grandma for a while after my grandpa died and she moved in with us.  Then my parents used the proceeds from their own very modest house and my grandparents' house in a newly desirable neighbourhood to buy a large house with a nice garden that was great for everyone.  In retrospect I recognize how lucky we all were.  So many benefits, including "babysitting" by my grandma and more space than my parents could ever have afforded (they were both educators in the state system).  My grandma had the benefit of company, but had her own small sitting room if she wanted.  She never tried to undermine my mum (her daughter-in-law) and always did the dishes with one of us kids drying up!

5 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm an only as well.  I got SOME hand-me-downs, usually in the form of toys from a neighbour (an only) who is seven years older than me.  I got her play kitchen, which was really cool (I also had my own play kitchen).  A cousin of mine, ALSO an only, got some of my clothes, especially party dresses.  

I'm the youngest and only girl and got hand-me-down jeans, (handknit) jumpers (sweaters), tee-shirts etc from my brothers for years.  My mum used to undo jumpers when I outgrew them and reuse the wool.

My older brother and I liked doing jigsaw puzzles but we only had three or four - there was one that we used to do wrong-side up (ie, a few hundred brown pieces!) to make it more interesting!

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Well, well, well.  It looks like some merchants around the globe need to develop some diplomatic skills😁  But I got a big laugh a few minutes ago while looking at sweaters on amazon. Reading the description of this sweater got very interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/QUALFORT-Crewneck-Sweater-Pullover-Sweaters/dp/B085FRC1KL/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?crid=ZWU0Q65AP7HG&keywords=cashmere%2Bcrewneck%2Bsweater%2Bwomen&qid=1696029070&s=apparel&sprefix=cashmere%2Bcrewn%2Cfashion-womens%2C91&sr=1-19-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1&psc=1

• LOL 12
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I had a neighbor who was one of five girls. Her dad wanted to keep trying for a boy, but her mom said ENOUGH. And she was the only sister who could not have kids so she was very chatty with everyone out of boredom?! Then she turned into a crazy woman and I stopped talking to her!

My friend's husband was desperate for a boy so they kept going and after three girls got one.  They gave him a name that means "The First" - I'm sure his older sisters don't have any issues over that . . . .

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, well, well.  It looks like some merchants around the globe need to develop some diplomatic skills😁  But I got a big laugh a few minutes ago while looking at sweaters on amazon. Reading the description of this sweater got very interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/QUALFORT-Crewneck-Sweater-Pullover-Sweaters/dp/B085FRC1KL/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?crid=ZWU0Q65AP7HG&keywords=cashmere%2Bcrewneck%2Bsweater%2Bwomen&qid=1696029070&s=apparel&sprefix=cashmere%2Bcrewn%2Cfashion-womens%2C91&sr=1-19-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1&psc=1

You mean you don't want "women sweaters (that) cover up your fat and show off your charming curves"?

• LOL 8
25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Dead from laughing! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m an only to a single mom. We were dirt poor. Like you kids assumed as an only I was spoiled. Far from it! I wish my sperm donor paid child support maybe then life would have been tolerable. …

That’s how it was with me and my oldest.
There is no way an only child with only one parent can be spoiled — unless maybe there are a lot of other involved adults in the picture.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
27 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

You mean you don't want "women sweaters (that) cover up your fat and show off your charming curves"?

I want a magic sweater that makes me look like Taylor Swift 🤣

But alas it will only cover my fat and show off my charming curves 🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That’s how it was with me and my oldest.
There is no way an only child with only one parent can be spoiled — unless maybe there are a lot of other involved adults in the picture.

My mom’s parents died before I was born. Sperm donors parents pretended I didn’t exist. It was me and my mom. I wasn’t spoiled whatsoever. 

We didn’t even have cable until I got a job and could pay for it lol. It took me like a year to save up for my first laptop for college. 

We were so poor man. Fathers should be forced to pay child support. 

That’s why I wanted like 4 kids when I was younger. I have no family. It sucks. 

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 4

I picked up my new car today! It's my first car in over 30 years. Since I've always lived in cities with decent public transport and car sharing facilities, I never saw the need. After 10 years in the prairies, I finally broke down and bought one. I'm actually quite excited. Despite the costs associated with car ownership.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, supposebly said:

I picked up my new car today! It's my first car in over 30 years. Since I've always lived in cities with decent public transport and car sharing facilities, I never saw the need. After 10 years in the prairies, I finally broke down and bought one. I'm actually quite excited. Despite the costs associated with car ownership.

First car in 30 years?
As your surrogate thread mother / grandmother, I feel obligated to ask:
Did you get full insurance coverage, including “comprehensive”?
And: 
If you do get in a fender bender, “do as I say, not as I do,” and stay cool. Just let the insurance agent, the adjuster, and the repair people do the jobs your insurance premiums pay them to do.
❤️🚙

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
Just now, shapeshifter said:

Did you get full insurance coverage, including “comprehensive”?
And: 
If you do get in a fender bender, “do as I say, not as I do,” and stay cool. Just let the insurance agent, the adjuster, and the repair people do the jobs your insurance premiums pay them to do.

Yes, I did.😇

Sure, I wouldn't know what else to do.😇

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Enjoy the fun of having a brand new car, complete with that "new car" fragrance ☺️

• Like 8
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Congratulations!!!

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

My husband saw Your, Mine and Ours too many times, he wanted 6 - we compromised on 2.

When my parents started discussing marriage, my dad (one of eight) said he'd like to have four kids.  My mom (an only child) said in that case he would very much need to marry someone else, as she would have no more than two.  He realized that made a lot more sense, so it wasn't an issue.  (And, as I said, they wound up deciding to stop after one.)

3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

So many benefits, including "babysitting" by my grandma

My maternal grandparents (well, the two of them until I was six, and then just my grandpa after she unfortunately died of cancer) lived less than ten miles away, so I never had a babysitter.  When my parents were gone, either my grandparents/grandpa came over or I went over there, or sometimes I stayed with my best friend and her family.  I was quite intrigued by all the movies/TV shows with kids being taken care of by teenage babysitters and all the shenanigans that ensued.

3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

My friend's husband was desperate for a boy so they kept going and after three girls got one.  They gave him a name that means "The First" - I'm sure his older sisters don't have any issues over that . . . .

So gross.  I'm glad I never dealt with that within my family; my parents were both hoping for a girl when my mom was pregnant with me (this is back before you found out while the fetus was in utero), but would have been happy either way, and then once they had a daughter thought it would be great if their second was a boy, but, again, not a big deal.  When they decided to stop with me, neither of them had we'll never have a son regrets; they just wanted to be parents, and they were.  This did not stop a disturbing number of people from asking them, mostly my dad, over the years "But didn't you want a boy??"

(I don't begrudge anyone their preferences, especially if they already have one or more of one gender, but when that preference not winding up being the case results in bitter disappointment, affects the way the child ends up being treated, leads to additional pregnancies that wouldn't otherwise have been pursued in a gender-based quest, etc. that's an issue.  Especially because that overwhelmingly happens in the hopes of having a boy, not a girl.  [I would wish all such parents wind up with transgender girls, rather than cisgender boys, but I'd never wish those kinds of parents on children already so vulnerable to mistreatment.])

• Like 6
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

How exciting!!! Congratulations. 🥳

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, supposebly said:

Congratulations!

• Like 4
20 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I didn’t have it so good either.   I had to sleep with my older sister until I got married.  I also had to wear her shoes  she grew out of.   That’s why I now say once in awhile we have to treat ourselves even when we can’t afford to, but not all the time.

I have to answer my own post.  This past year the food has become so expensive, meat especially.  I used to buy big pot roasts, roast beef’s and steaks.  Not too much anymore.  Lots of chicken.  Also, forget the gas prices.  We usually drive to Florida in winter.  Haven’t for a few years now.  I don’t mind staying home with my tv now.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The flooding in NY seems to be over for now.  I had to put up a friend last night.  She couldn't make it home to Westchester.  The commuter lines were shut down.  Most of the subways were shut down. 

What's going on in NYC with such excessive flooding? I think the first I ever heard of this was after Hurricane Sandy (watching videos of water gushing down the stairs to the subway was horrifying). Is this due to melting glaciers adding more water to the ocean? I recall reading about city officials consulting the Dutch about their surge protectors (from North Sea flooding). Is it too late for doing anything now? It will be OTT expensive but the alternative isn't looking so good now.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recall reading about city officials consulting the Dutch about their surge protectors (from North Sea flooding).

I was in the Netherlands last year and did a tour of the Delta Works facilities. It was insanely big - locks, dams, and surge barriers that all work concurrently to keep the North Sea at bay. It was immensely expensive to build decades ago, I can't imagine what it would cost now. But it's an amazing piece of ingenuity. 

Edited by emma675
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's going on in NYC with such excessive flooding? I think the first I ever heard of this was after Hurricane Sandy (watching videos of water gushing down the stairs to the subway was horrifying). Is this due to melting glaciers adding more water to the ocean? I recall reading about city officials consulting the Dutch about their surge protectors (from North Sea flooding). Is it too late for doing anything now? It will be OTT expensive but the alternative isn't looking so good now.

Hurricane Sandy was unusual in that there really was flooding from the local waterways.  The flooding yesterday was just from excessive rain pouring down into the subway and train tunnels. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The flooding in NY seems to be over for now.  I had to put up a friend last night.  She couldn't make it home to Westchester.  The commuter lines were shut down.  Most of the subways were shut down. 

How nice for her (and you?) that you were able to help her out.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Hurricane Sandy was unusual in that there really was flooding from the local waterways.  The flooding yesterday was just from excessive rain pouring down into the subway and train tunnels. 

I just saw a photo of cars almost completely submerged on the Saw Mill River Parkway. That too was a shock to see. My cousins lived in Hastings and we used to play alongside the Saw Mill "River" (I thought it was weird to be calling it a river when we had a creek in our town that was 10 time its size). I used to commute on the SM when I worked at Union Carbide in Tarrytown. Those parkways in Westchester are so pretty, especially when it's 🎶Autumn in New York🎶 🧡

• Like 2