Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow! Glad he survived. I saw him at Symphony Hall in Boston. You always could hear every word he sang. I saw Ray Charles at that place in Forest Hills. 

All his songs were great.  When we sold my fathers house, we left all the 78 albums there.  Including Johnny Mathis.  Hit me now.  What was I thinking?  When under stress, we do crazy things..

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

All his songs were great.  When we sold my fathers house, we left all the 78 albums there.  Including Johnny Mathis.  Hit me now.  What was I thinking?  When under stress, we do crazy things..

I feel you. I was willing to leave so much stuff for the estate sale before I sold my dad's house. I just wanted to get it over with. Thank god for my frugal husband and his inability to throw anything away. He saved a lot of stuff that I'm so happy to have now.

• Like 6

After our mom died (and dad had to move to FL to get away from all the widows in the church who were after him!!), my sister and I gave too much stuff away. I wish I'd taken the beautiful spinet piano but we donated it to the church. Gave away my dad's accordion but not before I somehow managed to play Lady Of Spain on it (we called my husband and she held out the phone).  I didn't know how to play an accordion but I could play the keyboard.  Geez that thing must've weighed 50 lbs. What is it with accordion players who always play that song?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, ABay said:

The wedding bit is over, let's hit the reception...nooo, you have to sit through an entire mass. Agony.

Thankfully, almost all the weddings I've been to have had short ceremonies; the bride and groom wanted to just get to the reception part, too (which begs the question why more people don't save money by just going to City Hall and then throwing a party, but whatever).  I remember sitting through some church weddings for family members as a kid (gods, did I love the relatives who had adults-only weddings so I got to stay at someone's house instead of having to go), but never anything like that.  As an adult, no churches -- almost everyone got married at some sort of outdoor venue.  One involved a little bit of a trek into the woods, but it was beautiful, so totally worth it.

• Like 5

One involved a little bit of a trek into the woods, but it was beautiful, so totally worth it.

One of the most beautiful weddings I ever attended was held next to a river. Some family member had a lovely "cabin" up there and after we walked to the river to wait for the officiant, it started to rain. The sun was shining through the rain and sparkling on the river. It was like something out of Tolkien.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I went to an Episcopalian wedding once that had communion in the middle of it. I was quite surprised because I thought that was a strictly Catholic thing and I was also surprised they invited everyone to participate. Even funnier, they had those little individual glasses for the juice and my then young cousin did it like a shot and then shouted loud enough for the entire church to hear, "that wasn't grape juice!!" Yes, a 10 year old did a shot of wine at the wedding, lol.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

After our mom died (and dad had to move to FL to get away from all the widows in the church who were after him!!), my sister and I gave too much stuff away. I wish I'd taken the beautiful spinet piano but we donated it to the church. Gave away my dad's accordion but not before I somehow managed to play Lady Of Spain on it (we called my husband and she held out the phone).  I didn't know how to play an accordion but I could play the keyboard.  Geez that thing must've weighed 50 lbs. What is it with accordion players who always play that song?

That hurts.  I should have taken furniture to put all my clothes in.  I never have enough room for clothes.  I had extra energy this weekend and so far filled three hefty bags of clothes for the Vets.  Still have more to go.  Shoes too, as I don’t wear the spike heels anymore.  I wear Sketchers.

6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

That hurts.  I should have taken furniture to put all my clothes in.  I never have enough room for clothes.  I had extra energy this weekend and so far filled three hefty bags of clothes for the Vets.  Still have more to go.  Shoes too, as I don’t wear the spike heels anymore.  I wear Sketchers.  My sister lives in Florida.  All the widows are after all the widowers asap.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
20 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

What a miserable rainy day. I keep drinking hot tea. At least my new raincoat is keeping me dry. Definitely worth it. I bought too many clothes. 

(They were on sale but still too much $)

It's an investment.  You needed new clothes and look how your new raincoat is protecting you from the rain. There's an old saying, something to the effect that we only go around once so we might as well have fun.  I think of that whenever I treat myself to new stuff 😊

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What the hell.  My new I pad only has trouble on Primetimer.  No where else.  A few people told me the same.  Very annoying.  I pads suit me, not lap tops.

Have to get my Nurse uniform ready.  Husband having Carpul Tunnel surgery Wednesday.  Anyone ever have that?  How long is the recovery?

Until I installed ad blocker I had major issues using this site. Now it’s a breeze.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What the hell.  My new I pad only has trouble on Primetimer.  No where else.  A few people told me the same.  Very annoying.  I pads suit me, not lap tops.

Have to get my Nurse uniform ready.  Husband having Carpul Tunnel surgery Wednesday.  Anyone ever have that?  How long is the recovery?

My dad did, but it happened so long ago I don't remember.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I had both wrists done (not at the same time).  The only inconvenience I remember was having to keep it dry for about a week, so it was difficult to shower and wash my hair.  The first one was in 1984 and the second one was sometime in the mid 90s, so hopefully the surgery is easier now and the recovery won't be difficult at all.  Good luck!

Replied here: 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Until I installed ad blocker I had major issues using this site. Now it’s a breeze.

On my I pad,  into settings on Safari I already have an add blocker that’s on.  You mean I have to get another one?

It says “block pop ups” and it’s turned on already on Safari.

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We have my father-in-law's accordion!  It must be really old.  FIL was born in 1912.    We don't know how to play.  I play piano, maybe I can try. 

14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Why are buses blasting air conditioning? I am frozen solid!

I always carry my subway sweater in the summer. 

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

We have my father-in-law's accordion!  It must be really old.  FIL was born in 1912.    We don't know how to play.  I play piano, maybe I can try. 

I always carry my subway sweater in the summer. 

I had no idea how to use the bass side, all those little buttons. And the squeezing of the big accordion? Oy. I could barely do that.  Maybe a smaller accordion would be easier to do.  My dad was a musician so his accordion was the type used in a band. Even the empty case was heavy. You'll have to play Lady of Spain, though.  It's required (heh heh).

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6

For those considering accordions: 
https://musicalinstrumentpro.com/how-much-does-an-accordion-weigh/

I’d like to trade in my old wide-necked classical guitar for a folk guitar — perhaps string it with nylon instead of steel strings.
I’d also like to get a better flute or have mine cleaned, adjusted, and the pads replaced.
I’d also like to buy a wetsuit for swimming in cold lake water.
But I can’t justify any of it, given my ever decreasing low energy.

I should just paint a portrait or something in watercolor.

I also think of buying a new, sturdier easel and getting out the old oil paints.

And lots of other things.

A sewing machine and an iron.

Right now my laptop is with a work-from-home guy. As of the last conversation yesterday, I’ll be lucky to get it back in the same working order as when I left it with him — probably should’ve done it myself.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think I could hardly lift the accordion.  And yes the case itself is heavy.  It does look like something a professional musician would use.  That's amazing your dad was a professional musician.  Please tell us more. 

My best friend in fourth grade played the accordion and she was a tiny little thing. Ah, youth.

• Like 4

Shopping:  We just did the food shopping for a “few” things.  $135.  The problem is carrying the stuff from the car to the Condo up the steps.  Him with the hand problem .. me with the back surgery.  He refuses to use the wagon I bought collecting dust.  Too macho.  Does everyone here shop at the store, or order on line, then pick it up?  It’s getting harder when the ailments pop up.  Maybe lots of people shop little by little for a few things.  He wanted to bring one bag .. I brought four.  Used them all.

• Hugs 3
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

On my I pad,  into settings on Safari I already have an add blocker that’s on.  You mean I have to get another one?

Yes.  Besides what Safari offers I have another app that used to be fantastic at wiping out all the garbage Facebook inserts into their website (I don’t use their app).  Of course they found a way to get around it and now I only look at “my groups” or search for particular family members if I want to see what they’ve posted because there’s a ridiculous amount of trash that appears otherwise.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Shopping:  We just did the food shopping for a “few” things.  $135.  The problem is carrying the stuff from the car to the Condo up the steps.  Him with the hand problem .. me with the back surgery.  He refuses to use the wagon I bought collecting dust.  Too macho.  Does everyone here shop at the store, or order on line, then pick it up?  It’s getting harder when the ailments pop up.  Maybe lots of people shop little by little for a few things.  He wanted to bring one bag .. I brought four.  Used them all.

Pre-pandemic, I'd shop at least five days a week, sometimes all seven.  I started ordering online for delivery during the pandemic and really haven't stopped.  I do go to stores too.  I get, perhaps, two or three deliveries a week and the rest I do myself, probably three times as well?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’d like to trade in my old wide-necked classical guitar for a folk guitar — perhaps string it with nylon instead of steel strings.
I’d also like to get a better flute or have mine cleaned, adjusted, and the pads replaced.

I also think of buying a new, sturdier easel and getting out the old oil paints.

Right now my laptop is with a work-from-home guy. As of the last conversation yesterday, I’ll be lucky to get it back in the same working order as when I left it with him — probably should’ve done it myself.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, yes, and yes.  Just putting some clothes in hefty bags this weekend will take a week to recover.  Cannot do what I used to do.  Everything is a hassle lately.  I just want to see my grandkids and watch lots of tv.  That’s it.

37 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Pre-pandemic, I'd shop at least five days a week, sometimes all seven.  I started ordering online for delivery during the pandemic and really haven't stopped.  I do go to stores too.  I get, perhaps, two or three deliveries a week and the rest I do myself, probably three times as well?

Do you find delivery good?  Do they usually have everything you ask for?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

Yes.  Besides what Safari offers I have another app that used to be fantastic at wiping out all the garbage Facebook inserts into their website (I don’t use their app).  Of course they found a way to get around it and now I only look at “my groups” or search for particular family members if I want to see what they’ve posted because there’s a ridiculous amount of trash that appears otherwise.

Thank you.  You are right about Facebook.  I’ve noticed that lately too.

6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes, yes, and yes.  Just putting some clothes in hefty bags this weekend will take a week to recover.  Cannot do what I used to do.  Everything is a hassle lately.  I just want to see my grandkids and watch lots of tv.  That’s it.

Do you find delivery good?  Do they usually have everything you ask for?

Yes.  Like I said in Pet Peeves, only I have only had issues with ONE STORE.  I can't seem to understand why, since it's still Instacart, and not someone in store doing the picking.  

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

My husband does all the grocery shopping since I can't walk for shit. I order a lot of stuff off Amazon but rarely food.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think I could hardly lift the accordion.  And yes the case itself is heavy.  It does look like something a professional musician would use.  That's amazing your dad was a professional musician.  Please tell us more. 

When he was a teenager, he had to play the (pump) organ at church (my grandfather was the minister) & for choir rehearsals. He played piano and cornet in the Admiral's band while in the Navy. He was organist and choir director at a church in our town, and had a dance band that played for weddings and parties. One of my older cousins told me that at family get togethers, they all wanted Dad to play the piano. He didn't really want to because he wanted a break from playing/performing. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband does all the grocery shopping since I can't walk for shit. I order a lot of stuff off Amazon but rarely food.

That’s good.  Lots of men like to shop.  I went today also, but he bought most of it, and forgot my Tylenol Sinus pills.  He bullshits with everyone practically.  That’s ok tho.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

That’s good.  Lots of men like to shop.  I went today also, but he bought most of it, and forgot my Tylenol Sinus pills.  He bullshits with everyone practically.  That’s ok tho.

My husband does the same. He loves to talk to everyone. When he used to go with me, I just wanted to get in and out. There was a time when my son and his buddy would go with me and I would read the stuff off the list and the would run and get it, throwing it into my cart like a game. We kept trying to beat our time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
On 9/18/2023 at 6:25 AM, Caoimhe said:

I know someone who got married on the day there was a big playoff game.  As both the bride and groom were huge fans of this team they arranged for it to be shown at the reception (apparently it was playoffs and when they chose the date they had no idea if this team would be in them).  It’s still talked about as one of the best weddings ever among their friend group!

Talking about games, the first time my husband took me to meet his parents, his Mother told me my husband was a loner.  He would go in his room and watch football all weekend by himself.  He was obsessed.  My Mother told me “at least you know where he is, and it was a good thing”.  Lol.

• Like 3
  • Wink 3

I was waiting for my pedicure, soaking my feet, when a young guy came into the salon. I heard him ask the staff member (who was checking out a customer), "Can I have a dollar?" Then, he turned to leave and stood at the door, looking out. Finally, he left. When my pedicurist came back & started working on my feet, I asked her what was that all about. She said that the customer gave him a dollar. I said this was scary & she agreed. I noticed when I arrived at the salon that there was a sign in the window, "God Bless America". It made me very concerned re: the safety of these gentle, kind Asian women. I sure hope one of the small businesses at this center reported him.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was waiting for my pedicure, soaking my feet, when a young guy came into the salon. I heard him ask the staff member (who was checking out a customer), "Can I have a dollar?" Then, he turned to leave and stood at the door, looking out. Finally, he left. When my pedicurist came back & started working on my feet, I asked her what was that all about. She said that the customer gave him a dollar. I said this was scary & she agreed. I noticed when I arrived at the salon that there was a sign in the window, "God Bless America". It made me very concerned re: the safety of these gentle, kind Asian women. I sure hope one of the small businesses at this center reported him.

In that split second, nobody knows what to do.  He could be starving, need more drugs, pull out a knife or gun, anything.  He could be legit or very dangerous.  Hard decision in the moment.

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

In that split second, nobody knows what to do.  He could be starving, need more drugs, pull out a knife or gun, anything.  He could be legit or very dangerous.  Hard decision in the moment.

That's what I was worried about. I'm glad that customer gave him the dollar. With all the closures of state hospitals, there are way too many people with mental issues out & about. When he didn't leave after getting the dollar but kept staring out the door, I was afraid that he was having some kind of episode.

• Like 4
On 9/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, oliviabenson said:

What a miserable rainy day. I keep drinking hot tea. At least my new raincoat is keeping me dry. Definitely worth it. I bought too many clothes. 

(They were on sale but still too much $)

I honestly just smacked myself upside the head and said "You do not need that lovely, comfy, beetroot (!) pair of cords you bought yesterday from Nordstrom Rack.  Take them back tomorrow."  I'm getting better at doing that.  They are cute though.  Sigh.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I just smacked myself upside the head and said "You do not need that lovely, comfy, beetroot (!) pair of cords from Nordstrom Rack.  Take them back tomorrow."  I'm getting better at doing that.  They are cute though.  Sigh.

If they're cute and feel good & comfy? You should keep them. You might want to get another pair in a different color *now* before they run out. I'm speaking based on years of experience (& frustration) when something I enjoyed wearing so much was gone from the shelves when I returned to get it in a different color. Tell your conscience that I said it was ok 😊

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
41 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

If they're cute and feel good & comfy? You should keep them. You might want to get another pair in a different color *now* before they run out. I'm speaking based on years of experience (& frustration) when something I enjoyed wearing so much was gone from the shelves when I returned to get it in a different color. Tell your conscience that I said it was ok 😊

Whenever I want to buy something for myself, I buy it.  We are not extravagant people.  I don’t smoke anymore, drink, or eat in fancy restaurants like some people.  No fancy vacations either.  Not complaining, just saying.  So, if I see nice shoes or a bag I want, I just buy it.  Husband never says a word either.  He knows I’ve never asked for much and am satisfied.  I love when a package from QVC or Amazon comes.  Lol.  Going to the mall is too much for me lately.  Been there, done that.  It’s too exhausting.  I just like the Mall at Christmas time.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

I honestly just smacked myself upside the head and said "You do not need that lovely, comfy, beetroot (!) pair of cords you bought yesterday from Nordstrom Rack.  Take them back tomorrow."  I'm getting better at doing that.  They are cute though.  Sigh.

If you like them and can afford, keep them!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No Costco coffins?

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No Costco coffins?

Who knows where my games went.  I was just thinking the other day I wanted to buy Monopoly and Clue, my favorites.  Paper Dolls too.

• Like 3
On 9/19/2023 at 6:10 AM, kristen111 said:

I use Ad Block Plus (free version) on my laptop and for this site only, I use Duck Duck Go's browser app on my phone and mobile devices. I have zero ads on this, or other sites.

• Like 6