Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

I tried to watch Everybody Loves Raymond, but Raymond's mother's meanness turned me off. If she were not in a scene, I liked the show. Ray and his brother were so funny! And his wife's endurance was amusing. Interesting that my MIL (who always enjoyed when anyone arrived with gossip, usually sad and/or bad stuff) loved the show. Have they ever done an update to the show (similar to The Connors)?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Have they ever done an update to the show (similar to The Connors)?

They have not, no - not only are Doris Roberts and Peter Boyle gone, but the boy who played Geoffrey tragically died a number of years back, too. So I think it'd just be really hard/emotional for them to do an update as a result - they could maybe make it work with Ray and Debra dealing with the loss of Frank and Marie, but it'd be tough to explain why one of their sons wasn't there anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I never liked the show, despite the actors, because I disliked almost all the characters.  But I stopped on a Thanksgiving episode once in syndication because Katherine Helmond and Robert Culp were guest starring (as Debra's parents) and I hadn't seen either of them in anything in a while.  Their parts were hilarious!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But I stopped on a Thanksgiving episode once

Being a fan of the show perhaps I'm not exactly impartial but the holiday and flashback episodes (usually a season finale) were probably the best episodes of the show overall.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

So I think it'd just be really hard/emotional for them to do an update as a result - they could maybe make it work with Ray and Debra dealing with the loss of Frank and Marie, but it'd be tough to explain why one of their sons wasn't there anymore. 

Agreed.  It's understandable why they won't go there but it's too bad as it would be fun to see them doing a reunion show where Debra and Ray are now the grandparents.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Thank you! I will wait until a sale. Guess Black Friday it is. Hulu is cheap then too. 

With the Writers and Actors strikes still going on, I wonder whether there will be any Peacock shows I'll want to watch before November anyway. 
But if the strikes end before November, maybe the streamers won't offer their Black Friday deals?

• Sad 3

I get to watch and listen to my daughter put my 19-month-old grandson to bed in his crib via the nanny cam, and tonight she let him take 2 of his hands full of Magnetic Tiles Building Blocks. 
They seemed pretty hard and bumpy to sleep with, and technically they're for ages 3 and up, but I'm just the grandma.
Anyhow, after a minute, he sits up and does something with them (I can't see) that causes him to make a cute little Oh-ho! sound — like he just figured out E = mc² or something, LOL. 
He's still at it, at least 20 minutes later, and I'm wondering if he's figuring out the architectural answer to homelessness. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

With the Writers and Actors strikes still going on, I wonder whether there will be any Peacock shows I'll want to watch before November anyway. 
But if the strikes end before November, maybe the streamers won't offer their Black Friday deals?

Then I will just pay regular price for Hulu. Streaming services raised the prices too. 

• Like 3

I’ve been off Reddit for two weeks now and I don’t really want to go back. At least not yet. For as much as I was on it before, I am still reading it a little bit but not posting, and I don’t feel I’m missing out on that much. 

Being off Reddit has also made me more motivated to do things like search for programs for going back to school and set up virtual appointments with admissions counselors.* I always talked about wanting to do that in the past, but having one less distraction has given me more energy to put the wheels in motion. And I’m not as eager to engage in my fanfiction writing and realized just how bad a lot of fandom spaces are for me. I don’t think I will quit writing altogether (I keep having on-again, off-again thoughts about whether I should delete my account and stories on Archive of Our Own, but have decided not to because knowing myself, I will likely regret it once I hit that button) but I will be more mindful of not getting caught up in fandom spaces with ridiculous rules and overly petty mods, or fans who just are a-holes to everyone.

*I’m not looking for advice on whether I should go back to school or need to or what program I should choose. I’ll save more specifics for the work thread, but my career has stalled out a bit so I’m looking for a new direction. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5
On 9/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

So, is there anything special coming on Peacock, Hulu, and the rest ?  So far, I’m doing ok on free channels and Netflix.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

So, is there anything special coming on Peacock, Hulu, and the rest ?  So far, I’m doing ok on free channels and Netflix.

Just Season 3 of Only Murders In The Building on Hulu.
I guess it was in the can before the strikes began.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ok, thanks.  I did watch Murders first season.  It was sort of repetitious, so I didn’t continue.  I am watching lots of the old black n whites that are on Tubi.  Detective series, etc.  Silly shows of yesteryears.  Nothing heavy.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The one reason I kind of want Hulu. And the streaming services are why they are striking.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 1

I was just quasi ranting in another thread about shows that are appearing on Neflix etc that I have no access to unless I grace the house of someone I know who does.  What it comes down to for my husband and I right now is that, based on what we are most likely to  watch regularly, cable is still our best choice.  And we are resisting the pressure (self-imposed) to get other streaming services at least for now.

2 minutes ago, nokat said:

For those feeling the heat, I hope you have AC.

Supposed to feel like over 40c (low 100s in f) here today -which rarely happens and never in September!  The kids all went back to school today so I am hoping the schools have AC!

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
1 minute ago, Laura Holt said:

I was just quasi ranting in another thread about shows that are appearing on Neflix etc that I have no access to unless I grace the house of someone I know who does.  What it comes down to for my husband and I right now is that, based on what we are most likely to  watch regularly, cable is still our best choice.  And we are resisting the pressure (self-imposed) to get other streaming services at least for now.

Supposed to feel like over 40c (low 100s in f) here today -which rarely happens and never in September!  The kids all went back to school today so I am hoping the schools have AC!

The leaves here are starting to turn their beautiful colors.  It's September and still so hot.

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

The kids all went back to school today so I am hoping the schools have AC!

Every year on a hot September day I recall sitting in an afternoon class, freshman year of high school in 1967, wearing a wool jumper with a long sleeved shirt and stockings (my new outfit for the year) with a drop of sweat running from my upper back down to the small of my back. Nobody had AC.

So, yes, I do wish all who need AC have it, but that's not likely, even now.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Thank GOODNESS kiddo's uniform is short sleeves and shorts (they're on summer uniform until Thanksgiving)!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I never knew about Poker Face.  I just read up about it and like it.  It’s on Peacock?  Anything else good on there?

I don't know. People talk about stuff they watch on there and it usually goes in one ear and out the other but Poker Face caught my interest so I looked into. It's kind of an homage to Columbo but they have a lot of fun with it and the lead is very charismatic.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

and the lead is very charismatic.

I hadn't heard of Poker Face, so I just looked it up and it stars Natasha Lyonne.  I've only seen her in about half a dozen things, but I loved her in each of them.  I first saw her in Slums of Beverly Hills and she was just fantastic.

I only have the free version of Peacock, and not everything is available on there, so next time I'm on it (I don't watch it much) I'll have to see if I have access to that show.  I'm not sure it would be my thing, but I love her and I enjoy looking at Benjamin Bratt, so I'd try it.

• Like 3

Like I said before, but my post didn’t take, Netflix has many movie stars on like Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler and many others.  When I ordered Netflix, I got many other channels thst are free.  I don’t know why.  Maybe because I have a Firestick on that tv?  Who knows?  I’m not technical, so don’t know why.  I’m not complaining either.  Actually, I’ve seen almost everything I like on Netflix, but will keep it.

4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Peacock has all the old seasons of Real Housewives. You can get your fill of the OG NYC cast there.

5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Peacock has all the old seasons of Real Housewives. You can get your fill of the OG NYC cast there.

Oh GREAT.  Love the housewives.  Thanks!  Btw, love your Kitty.  Does she/he let you paint her/his nails too, lol.

43 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I never knew about Poker Face.  I just read up about it and like it.  It’s on Peacock?  Anything else good on there?

On Peacock I watch NBC show episodes I missed, and also Poker Face, the movies Nope and Asteroid City, and The Amber Ruffian Show
all of which had some mentally or socially redeeming value, but were mostly a mixed bag, which might not be worthwhile to many would-be viewers.

Wikipedia has an extensive list of what Peacock offers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peacock_original_programming

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

The more I'm learning about how shitty the streaming services are (via SAG-AFTRA and people like Aaron Paul, and Michelle Hurd speaking out), the less inclined I am to give those services any money until I see how the strike shakes out.

Ooo!
Kind of like a Watchers Strike Back Against the Empire?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hadn't heard of Poker Face, so I just looked it up and it stars Natasha Lyonne.  I've only seen her in about half a dozen things, but I loved her in each of them.  I first saw her in Slums of Beverly Hills and she was just fantastic.

I only have the free version of Peacock, and not everything is available on there, so next time I'm on it (I don't watch it much) I'll have to see if I have access to that show.  I'm not sure it would be my thing, but I love her and I enjoy looking at Benjamin Bratt, so I'd try it.

I loved her in Orange is the New Black.

• Like 2
On 8/31/2023 at 1:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

My mom loved jury duty. I've never been summoned.

Wait, what? Never summoned? Do you mean never in the pool, or never served on a jury? I went once a year sitting there for hours, and then got in the pool twice. Got called up to the jury box twice.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
Just now, oliviabenson said:

I ordered a bunch of clothes and shoes and now impatiently waiting for my new clothes. I really needed to replace a bunch of worn out winter clothing.

And I love shoes!

Any recommendations for winter clothes? I have a few fall jackets, but winter is going to hit me hard. I have my California winter clothing.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, nokat said:

Any recommendations for winter clothes? I have a few fall jackets, but winter is going to hit me hard. I have my California winter clothing.

Depends where you live. I personally like to layer my clothes. So I usually wear a thick heavy flannel shirt/jacket and a vest or a light jacket over. I do recommend buying flannel lined leggings to wear under jeans.

I don’t own a heavy winter coat.

• Like 4
On 8/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, BlueSkies said:

Interesting didn’t know their was a back story to the website.

Any former IMDb message board posters here?  I think if I recall right those forms on that site weren’t really monitored and there were too many trolls so the message boards there stopped 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:19 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I was on IMDB, really as a lurker.  In case you didn’t know, Those forums are still available but not much used on something called MovieChat.[org]. 
I am also a former Twopper.

I poked around MovieChat.
Despite having no official connection to IMDb, it really is a continuation of IMDb message boards — meaning the mostly unmoderated Wild West of vitriol despite claims otherwise: moviechat.org/standards 

To those unfamiliar with the defunct IMDb message boards, imagine Next Door with no filters because of anonymity. 

Nevertheless, 
I did register, added it to my top bookmarks, and even posted a comment for the movie Nope, replying to a reasonable person.

I was surprised "shapeshifter" wasn't taken. Does this mean that moniker is officially old🙃

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
36 minutes ago, nokat said:

Leggings! I can't wait for cold weather so I can wear my beloved leggings...and turtlenecks (with the collars up, never turned down) & footies or regular warm socks. These are my basics to keep chilly air from invading my "personal space" 😁. Then it's just whatever I need to layer on top, depending on whether I'm indoors or out, and the daily weather. I have a couple black dresses and wear black tights with them. Love my camel coat, wool scarves of varying lengths, and lined leather gloves for midwinter. Check out LL Bean, Lands End, and Talbot's as they're northern companies & always sell attractive clothes for cold weather.

• Like 7
43 minutes ago, nokat said:

16 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Depends where you live. I personally like to layer my clothes. So I usually wear a thick heavy flannel shirt/jacket and a vest or a light jacket over. I do recommend buying flannel lined leggings to wear under jeans.

In 2001 when I moved from Sacramento, CA to the northern suburbs of Chicago for a job, I bought a Calvin Klein down-filled winter coat at Nordstrom Rack. I still have it and wear it here in Rochester NY if I'm going for a walk when it's too cold to go for a walk. 🙃
Not sure if Nordstrom Rack or Calvin Klein are still relevant. 

OTOH, when I lived in BC Canada in the 1970s, a friendly guy from Alberta advised going outside during the first snow in a t-shirt to acclimate oneself. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I like to do layers too. I may need a heavier coat.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, nokat said:

Wait, what? Never summoned? Do you mean never in the pool, or never served on a jury? I went once a year sitting there for hours, and then got in the pool twice. Got called up to the jury box twice.

I have never received a summons. Neither has my husband.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have never received a summons. Neither has my husband.

It used to be if you registered to vote, then the DMV in California. When I got my new license, I was registered, so I'll probably get a summons.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

It used to be if you registered to vote, then the DMV in California. When I got my new license, I was registered, so I'll probably get a summons.

It has never just been voter registration. My mom obtained her US citizenship in 1995 (obviously never registered to vote until then) yet she was summoned for jury duty numerous times when I was a kid.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It has never just been voter registration. My mom obtained her US citizenship in 1995 (obviously never registered to vote until then) yet she was summoned for jury duty numerous times when I was a kid.

She got on the radar by getting her citizenship. That's why I was saying what I did.

• Like 5

I read an article a few years ago about how they get names for jury duty, and it's never been just voter registration, as @theredhead77 says. Or the DMV. Those are obviously two rich resources, but since jurors are supposed to be selected from across the whole range of citizens, they also cull names from the tax rolls, from property ownership records, rental lists, unemployment recipients, etc. I've been a licensed driver since I was seventeen and voting as soon as I was eligible, and I've never been summoned once for jury duty. My husband's been called three times. A friend at a magazine where I used to work served six times, and she never held a driver's license. It's not just one source--it's a bunch of them. But somehow it's still the luck of the draw.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2