Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

My favorite on my DVD.  Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express and Evil Under the Sun.  Watch all the time.  In color.

What versions?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do they have them on long-haul buses? 

Greyhound does, but passengers are only required to use them in California.

As for school buses, CA requires seat belts, but only in buses built after a certain year, so a lot still don't have them.  I think they're all supposed to have them by 2035 or something like that, but I haven't followed the law, just seen news articles.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Sadly, some people still to this day tell little girls that tired, sexist bullshit, that if a boy is picking on her (or worse), it's because he likes her.

What did I know?  I never liked to blow the whistle on anyone.  I assumed things could have gotten worse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
17 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

The old ones.  Death on the Nile 1976.  All three are the oldies.  On Turner Classics.  I don’t like when they remake.  Not the same.

17 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

The old ones.  Death on the Nile 1976.  All three are the oldies.  On Turner Classics.  I don’t like when they remake.  Not the same.

We also love “Great Expetations” with John Mills.  Old version in black n white.  LOVE Turner Classics.  Wish they would go in the vault and show others.

• Like 4
On 8/16/2023 at 6:02 PM, peacheslatour said:

I must be the bad girl in this group, as soon as I was driving to school, I just left at lunch time and met up with some friends at a coffee shop. 

When in high school, whenever it snowed, we didn’t go to school.  We told the parents no bus came.  We all went to Louie’s house for the day as his Mother worked all day.  Good times.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
57 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

So glad it wasn't the Kenneth Branagh ones that I think are a travesty!  😊

• Applause 1
Just now, Suzn said:

So glad it wasn't the Kenneth Branagh ones that I think are a travesty!  😊

Hate that one.  There was hardly any nice scenery.  Swear, I watch it like once a week.  The scenery alone, and the costumes are spectacular.  The actors too.  They should have made more.  Have you ever watched “Saratoga Trunk”?  Another oldie, and great.

It's still rare to have seat belts on school buses

My friends - an Emergency Room nurse, and a firefighter - had quite a discussion with their child her first day of school to convince her it was okay to ride without a seatbelt. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Speaking of school buses, I was listening to the radio about the school bus meltdown in Louisville.  It was one girl's first day of kindergarten, and therefore the first time she'd ever ridden the school bus.  She was on it for hours after school, but her parents said she didn't flip out or anything because she didn't know any better, and just assumed that's how it was.  Ha!

• Hugs 1

Regarding the fire+hurricane that took over 100 lives on the island of Maui, and the seemingly unfathomable choice to not blast warning sirens as is often done for hurricanes and tsumamis: 

LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Outdoor alert sirens on Maui stayed silent as a ferocious fire devastated the seaside community of Lahaina last week. The head of the Maui Emergency Management Agency said he had no regrets about not deploying the system as a warning to people on the island.

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-recovery-maui-lahaina-5754c205e5deaa8751c573422534ca67?user_email=e6891cbb927e4212b6f5d6cdf128a10ad71c48a6a5c83a337ab6c31e48120dd5&utm_medium=Morning_Wire&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_campaign=Morning Wire_August 18_2023&utm_term=Morning Wire Subscribers

My parents lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and this explanation makes that choice to not air sirens seem at least forgivable:

A day after making that statement, Administrator Herman Andaya resigned Thursday. Andaya had said he feared blaring the sirens during the blaze could have caused people to go “mauka,” using a navigational term that can mean toward the mountains or inland in Hawaiian. “If that was the case, then they would have gone into the fire,” Andaya explained.

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-recovery-maui-lahaina-5754c205e5deaa8751c573422534ca67?user_email=e6891cbb927e4212b6f5d6cdf128a10ad71c48a6a5c83a337ab6c31e48120dd5&utm_medium=Morning_Wire&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_campaign=Morning Wire_August 18_2023&utm_term=Morning Wire Subscribers

--as many survived by jumping over a wall into the ocean.

The failure of the water delivery system to fight the fire is more compicated:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/13/us/lahaina-water-failure.html

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, kristen111 said:

@peacheslatour  I’m about to order “The Yellow Wallpaper” .  What’s it about in a few words.

A young woman who may or may not be suffering from PPD is moved by her husband and I think a doctor out to a remote, crumbling country estate. She is basically imprisoned in and upper level room (locked door, bars on the windows) there is yellow wallpaper on the walls that is peeling and in general disrepair. She starts seeing things moving in the wallpaper. as she descends into madness. It's an early example of feminist horror.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

A young woman who may or may not be suffering from PPD is moved by her husband and I think a doctor out to a remote, crumbling country estate. She is basically imprisoned in and upper level room (locked door, bars on the windows) there is yellow wallpaper on the walls that is peeling and in general disrepair. She starts seeing things moving in the wallpaper. as she descends into madness. It's an early example of feminist horror.

Thank you.  Not for me as I’m chlostrophobic.  Yikes!   

• Like 3
17 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Hate that one.  There was hardly any nice scenery.  Swear, I watch it like once a week.  The scenery alone, and the costumes are spectacular.  The actors too.  They should have made more.  Have you ever watched “Saratoga Trunk”?  Another oldie, and great.

I love old movies, particularly from the 30s and 40s, but I haven't seen Saratoga Trunk.

My favorite of that group of Agatha Christy movies is Evil Under the Sun with Peter Ustinov.  He's my favorite Poirot except for David Suchet who came along later on TV.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I love old movies, particularly from the 30s and 40s, but I haven't seen Saratoga Trunk.

My favorite of that group of Agatha Christy movies is Evil Under the Sun with Peter Ustinov.  He's my favorite Poirot except for David Suchet who came along later on TV.

They rarely show Saratoga Trunk.  You would love it.  Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman.  Takes place in New Orleans to Saratoga, New York.  Try the library.  Evil Under the Sun .. the costumes are something .. right?  Plus the scenery.  Look around for Saratoga Trunk.   Amazon $9.99.

Edited by kristen111
15 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

They rarely show Saratoga Trunk.  You would love it.  Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman.  Takes place in New Orleans to Saratoga, New York.  Try the library.  Evil Under the Sun .. the costumes are something .. right?  Plus the scenery.  Look around for Saratoga Trunk.   Amazon $9.99.

It may be available streaming on one of the services.  I'll look for it.  Thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  Not for me as I’m chlostrophobic.  Yikes!   

Oh, so am I. But I loved it. It's just a short story, it doesn't really go on long enough to be that triggering. More than anything, I was pissed. Pissed because they took away all of her choices, pissed because women had no rights in those days, pissed at the way they gas lighted her. And the writing is amazing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, so am I. But I loved it. It's just a short story, it doesn't really go on long enough to be that triggering. More than anything, I was pissed. Pissed because they took away all of her choices, pissed because women had no rights in those days, pissed at the way they gas lighted her. And the writing is amazing.

Ok, have to go to the library.  Since I’m on the threads, I haven’t been reading like I used to. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Ok, have to go to the library.  Since I’m on the threads, I haven’t been reading like I used to. 

Oof, I feel that. I'm trying to read my brand new copies of LOTR. I sailed through the first book but now, I find the days pass and I keep forgetting to get on with the second book. I'm only about 100 pages into it. 

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oof, I feel that. I'm trying to read my brand new copies of LOTR. I sailed through the first book but now, I find the days pass and I keep forgetting to get on with the second book. I'm only about 100 pages into it. 

English Author.  I love Thomas Hardy’s “Tess of the d’Urbavilles”.  Anything about the moors, or of those days.

Sorry Urbervilles.

Edited by kristen111
Spelled wrong.
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Then you must love Wuthering Heights.

Yes .. all of them.  Pride & Prejudice especially.  The movies too.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, not me; all the characters are assholes, especially Heathcliff, so much so I don't care about the victim turns victimizer angle at all.  I do love the Kate Bush song, though (I know the song has as many haters as the book).

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, not me; all the characters are assholes, especially Heathcliff, so much so I don't care about the victim turns victimizer angle at all.  I do love the Kate Bush song, though (I know the song has as many haters as the book).

That was in those days.  Nowadays women do not take any shit from men especially.   At least the women I know.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

I miss TCM so much but our cable package changed and hubby is being a tightwad about getting a better package.

It’s the only channel I care about.  The musicals especially .. everything.  I taped a whole library of  of them.   Husband goes in the bedroom and watches his sports and whatever.   

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Regarding the fire+hurricane that took over 100 lives on the island of Maui, and the seemingly unfathomable choice to not blast warning sirens as is often done for hurricanes and tsumamis: 

My parents lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and this explanation makes that choice to not air sirens seem at least forgivable:

A day after making that statement, Administrator Herman Andaya resigned Thursday. Andaya had said he feared blaring the sirens during the blaze could have caused people to go “mauka,” using a navigational term that can mean toward the mountains or inland in Hawaiian. “If that was the case, then they would have gone into the fire,” Andaya explained.

--as many survived by jumping over a wall into the ocean.

The failure of the water delivery system to fight the fire is more compicated:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/13/us/lahaina-water-failure.html

Well, the bolded certainly does explain the lack of sirens. If indeed they would drive a lot of people right into the fire, it had to be a hard decision but one he felt necessary.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 2

Pepsi zero I drank for the 1st time today.  I thought it tasted pretty good.

But still ideally I'd cut out soda or pop (depending where you live it can be called this) all together.  But I just can't quite 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

But still ideally I'd cut out soda or pop (depending where you live it can be called this) all together.  But I just can't quite 

Back in the 1950s and 60s, Mom told us we wouldn’t like soda because it was “fizzy.” 
Although I was briefly addicted to Mountain Dew in my early 20s (didn’t know it had caffeine) nowadays I still cringe at that first bite of carbonation when I have a rare, all-natural, ginger root-beer in the dog days of summer.

But today it’s been in the mid 60s°F all day. 
So hot cocoa and hot ginger tea!🫖 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I haven't had a soda in I don't know how long. I just have a cup of tea in the morning and drink water the rest of the day. And a glass (or two) of wine in the evening.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, not me; all the characters are assholes, especially Heathcliff, so much so I don't care about the victim turns victimizer angle at all.

I read Wuthering Heights in the eighth grade, I don’t remember anything about it except that I hated Heathcliff with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.  Don’t even remember why.  

• Like 1
On 8/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bastet said:

Sadly, some people still to this day tell little girls that tired, sexist bullshit, that if a boy is picking on her (or worse), it's because he likes her.

And those girls turn into teens who dismiss abuse because "he loves me". And those girls turn into women who stay in bad situations because "he loves me".

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I miss TCM so much but our cable package changed and hubby is being a tightwad about getting a better package.

Some of the packages changed for the worse.  Some are lots of money.  I really don’t blame him.  My girls pay well over $250.  Too much.  My condo association pays, so I only pay $136.

• Mind Blown 3
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And those girls turn into teens who dismiss abuse because "he loves me". And those girls turn into women who stay in bad situations because "he loves me".

And, let’s not forget the good men in this world, of which there are plenty.  I’ve seen lots of bad women in my lifetime too.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Some of the packages changed for the worse.  Some are lots of money.  I really don’t blame him.  My girls pay well over $250.  Too much.  My condo association pays, so I only pay $136.

I would gladly swap every single sports channel we get for TCM. We have like 5 ESPNs, Root, all the local channels carry sports all weekend. I hate sports.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I would gladly swap every single sports channel we get for TCM. We have like 5 ESPNs, Root, all the local channels carry sports all weekend. I hate sports.

Mine watches sports all day and night.  It’s just in them.  He’s in one room, I’m in another.  Then he reads the sport section for three hours every morning.  He’s retired.  When first married, my Mother said “ at least you know where he is”.  Lol.  But, he gives me and does anything I want or need, so I can’t complain.  He’ll go to CVS or Shop Rite ten times a day if I ask.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

And, let’s not forget the good men in this world, of which there are plenty.  I’ve seen lots of bad women in my lifetime too.

My statement about conditioning girls to think that a boy being mean to them, or being physically (or otherwise) aggressive, not taking no for an answer, etc... leading to teens and adults who suffer abuse in the name of "love" has nothing to do with the #notallmen red herring. It has everything to do with what @Bastet said.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bastet said:

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ooh that’s a dealbreaker for me. I watch TCM more than anything. I’d rather give something else up. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

My statement about conditioning girls to think that a boy being mean to them, or being physically (or otherwise) aggressive, not taking no for an answer, etc... leading to teens and adults who suffer abuse in the name of "love" has nothing to do with the #notallmen red herring. It has everything to do with what @Bastet said.

Having been one of those girls myself: Yep.
But Dad was mostly a peach, so I didn't put up with it too much.
I haven't been with anyone in over 30 years. 

I actually went to an in-person local artists meeting this week made up of people in my age group. I kind of hated it. It was about as bad as the one condo members meeting I attended in the last 2 years. I prefer virtual places like this where I can edit myself and close the screen when I've had enough.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

There's a new young condo owner who seems like a good guy, but I don't like the way his girlfriend talks to her daughter.  But I've only seen them a very few times around the pool, so what do I know? It's better to be stern than have to rescue your half-drowned kid.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Mine watches sports all day and night.  It’s just in them.  He’s in one room, I’m in another.  Then he reads the sport section for three hours every morning.  He’s retired.  When first married, my Mother said “ at least you know where he is”.  Lol.  But, he gives me and does anything I want or need, so I can’t complain.  He’ll go to CVS or Shop Rite ten times a day if I ask.

Mine is the same way. He'd do anything I asked. ❤️

• Like 4
2 hours ago, partofme said:

I read Wuthering Heights in the eighth grade, I don’t remember anything about it except that I hated Heathcliff with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.  Don’t even remember why.  

I read it in high school and do not remember anything bad.  It was so long ago.  I did like reading about those times tho, and the hardships.  If it was so bad, why were we made to read these books?  And, why all the bad hype about this now?

• Like 1

I almost ran a red light on my way home from dinner and shopping just now. Usually I am really careful (I’ve never been in an accident; never had a speeding ticket…just one parking ticket and two minor fender benders where no one was hurt when I first got my license about eight years ago) but I have been so stressed this week with work pressures that caused my mental health to get messed up (see the work and mental health threads so I don’t get too off topic) and I guess I just got briefly tired and/or distracted. That doesn’t excuse it but I feel so guilty knowing I could have caused an accident or something.

There were no cops around so I didn’t get ticketed and hopefully the driver behind me didn’t report me. But I feel terrible and it will probably take me a while to get over this. Anyone else ever feel bad after something like this? Doesn’t necessarily have to be a red light; just something you beat yourself up over or feel bad about doing when you should have known better. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Mine is the same way. He'd do anything I asked. ❤️

We are very lucky.  Not many make it this far.  I still remember your cute gas station story.  At this point in time, I only wish I could do it all over again.  In fact, I wrote in my diary at the time and read it over and over.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I almost ran a red light on my way home from dinner and shopping just now. Usually I am really careful (I’ve never been in an accident; never had a speeding ticket…just one parking ticket and two minor fender benders where no one was hurt when I first got my license about eight years ago) but I have been so stressed this week with work pressures that caused my mental health to get messed up (see the work and mental health threads so I don’t get too off topic) and I guess I just got briefly tired and/or distracted. That doesn’t excuse it but I feel so guilty knowing I could have caused an accident or something.

There were no cops around so I didn’t get ticketed and hopefully the driver behind me didn’t report me. But I feel terrible and it will probably take me a while to get over this. Anyone else ever feel bad after something like this? Doesn’t necessarily have to be a red light; just something you beat yourself up over or feel bad about doing when you should have known better. 

Forget about it.  Things happen.  We all have been there I’m sure.  It’s a lesson learned to always be careful.

• Like 5