Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Seance Anything

• Start Topic

Hoping to recount her last living moments, Maddie and her fellow spirits hold an anti-séance which brings to light a shocking new theory.

Dropping April 6, 2023

We're finally seeing Mr. Martin's true colors. He's definitely keeping the spirits from helping Maddie and trying to hinder them. I think Mr. Martin too can speak to humans and is giving updates on what Maddie is figuring out to that person. (Or maybe he is making some kind of notes to leave behind as in the last scene he's seen with some papers)

Did not expect... (spoiler just in case)

Spoiler

...Dawn to cross over. She's been there the longest so its good that she's finally at peace. 

Well atleast we know whose hand that was on the lightbulb in the opening credits..

I also think that during the music trigger scene, that was not going to be the song that would trigger Maddie's memories.. It's most likely the song that Simon hears at the end of the dance in Episode 6. If I recall correctly, Simon hears the song and rushes to tell Maddie and he mentions something like "this is the song that was playing when..." before he gets cut off by her. I wonder if this will be important later.

And who was Janet ? Was she the spirit in the theatre? I absolutely cannot remember..

• Like 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

And who was Janet ? Was she the spirit in the theatre? I absolutely cannot remember..

We've never met Janet but we've been told she's a ghost who crossed over ... but it seems pretty obvious that Mr. Martin did not actually help her cross over. Especially now that the other ghosts have felt/experienced what it was like when Dawn crossed over, which they did not before, with Janet. My guess is Mr. Martin is pretending to help the ghost kids but actually preventing them from leaving the school/moving on to the afterlife. He's obviously threatened by Maddie and trying to maintain the status quo. Remember when he was talking to Maddie about writing an obituary and made some throwaway comment about how the views in hell weren't as nice... I'm guessing that was a clue that he's some kind of evil entity and very acquainted with Hell.

Now that Maddie actually suspects her mom killed her, I'm gonna say... probably not, because the show's writers would want the shocking reveal to be in the very last episode.

I'm enjoying this show, although I groan at the idea of a Simon/Maddie/Wally love triangle. I was hoping for a truly platonic relationship between Simon and Maddie. But now Simon's confessing love and upset that Maddie went to the dance with football player, and Wally's getting jealous whenever Maddie mentions Simon and...ugh. I mean, are we supposed to root for Simon to die so he can be with Maddie? How...romantic? Either that or Maddie comes back to life somehow and Wally's left behind. Or Wally crosses over and leaves Maddie behind. I DON'T NEED THIS KIND OF ANGST. Can't we just have a fun show about a bunch of dead kids haunting their school. Ha ha. :P

Edited by chrisrose
  • Like 7
(edited)

Well at least Nichole is cleared as it was looking like a case of obsessive stalking gone wrong. 

35 minutes ago, chrisrose said:

I'm enjoying this show, although I groan at the idea of a Simon/Maddie/Wally love triangle. I was hoping for a truly platonic relationship between Simon and Maddie.

So was I, but they always have to turn the best friend/nerd into the love interest or at least have them confess a secret love etc. 

That can’t be Mom Nears in the woods, and I doubt she came back in the rain to steal the money, she was drinking her grief away at the time.Idk I’m running out of suspects for who killed Maddie. Her mom was just out of rehab a day before her murder, I can’t see her discovering the money and fighting over it .

The sheriff is scum. Do these people not have to take or have some sort of training for the position? This guy has zero detective skills. That police station has terrible security. 

Edited by rtms77
  • Like 3
(edited)
59 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

That can’t be Mom Nears in the woods, and I doubt she came back in the rain to steal the money, she was drinking her grief away at the time.Idk I’m running out of suspects for who killed Maddie. Her mom was just out of rehab a day before her murder, I can’t see her discovering the money and fighting over it .

I agree...I think whoever was sneaking around Mom's house during the Homecoming dance, was still skulking nearby when the Sheriff told Mom and Nicole about finding the murder weapon. Then this shadowy figure followed Nicole into the woods and dug up the money she buried, I guess?

In the brief flashback Maddie had about fighting with her mom, she says something like "it belonged to me" and Mom tells her to get over it. So I thiiiiiiiiink her mom took Maddie's necklace which is now missing, right? Probably wanted to sell it so she could buy booze. But I doubt she killed her daughter over it.

I really don't know who's left to suspect, other than someone we've barely seen, like the principal or that other teacher (the one who put her jacket on Maddie's empty chair and helped with the flyers, etc.) - they don't seem to have a purpose in the story, so far. Wouldn't be very satisfying though. I'd rather it be the Sheriff since he's a weasel and a bully. I did like that scene where Claire stood up for Xavier and basically said "no, *you're* the loser, and you suck at your job".  Heh.

But it can't be the Sheriff if it's someone who was *watching* the Sheriff talking to Mom and Nicole. Oooh, unless it *is* the Sheriff who pretended to leave after that, but waited around for Nicole to leave the house and then followed her? But then he'd have to be smart enough to suspect Nicole had the money and would be worth following? Don't know if I believe he's that smart. :P

Edited by chrisrose
  • Like 1
(edited)

Me actually invested and semi teary eyed when she told her she was a good friend the look of relief at hearing it .. PLeASe PLeASe PLEASE don’t go the Simon be the killer that’s a tired twist that would just butcher this show 

so yes obviously this is purgatory for these spirits but the teachers roll in all of this is weird .. is he holding them there for himself? he is some kinda spirit "judge" (playing in to the whole mock trial thing he was trying to get them into) we obviously know the killer isn't gonna be her mother with the trend of setting up a possible killer at the end of each episode to have the next clear them ... 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 6

I knew that Mr. Martin was a garbage person. Or ghost, whatever. What? Does he have Janet tied up in the basement somewhere and is pretending she crossed over? Something is going on with him.

No way the mom killed Maddie. Not even in a drunken rage. I don't buy it. Also, please don't be Simon. I already have to deal with the tired trope that he is in love with her, I can't also deal with the "he killed her because he loves her" crap also.

Janitor didn't do it. I actually have no idea who did it. Love this show! Hope we get an ending.

• Like 5
(edited)

I can’t see any reason why Simon would kill her. There was no real motivation unless they super charge the love interest angle which would be yuck. He doesn’t come across as that obsessive. The problem is we still don’t know where he was during Maddie’s murder. At least I don’t think it was mentioned. The only thing I can think of is a severe mental illness or a complete freak accident , hence his ability to supposedly talk to Maddie. He feels guilty about it so he could be rationing it all in his head and working it out to reality. I would find that sad because he’s really tried to help and seems very hurt that Maddie is gone. Straight up murdering her ? Forget it. 

Edited by rtms77
  • Like 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

so yes obviously this is purgatory for these spirits but the teachers roll in all of this is weird .. is he holding them there for himself? he is some kinda spirit "judge" (playing in to the whole mock trial thing he was trying to get them into) we obviously know the killer isn't gonna be her mother with the trend of setting up a possible killer at the end of each episode to have the next clear them ... 

I’m not loving the weekly setup & vindication. At this point, I have no suspects. And while I don’t want it to be Simon, he’s the only one that hasn’t been suspected/cleared and the only one who can see her. Unless Mr. Martin is somehow responsible for their deaths in a supernatural way? The school is a magnet for tragedy about every 10 years. 

ETA: I read a fan theory (not a spoiler, but I’m gonna tag it bc I don’t know the rules 😜) that is way out there, but it would answer a lot of questions. Someone mentioned that the idea of “hijacking” a body was dropped in this episode because  

Spoiler

the mysterious ghost who was presumed to have crossed over has hijacked Maddie’s body. Maddie’s body isn’t found because it’s her body running around in the black clothes and mask, and Maddie doesn’t remember her death because she’s not dead, she’s possessed.

I don’t ever even read fan forums, but I stumbled on that one while I was trying to see if there’d be a second season, and it really would give the best possible resolution. 

Edited by RedInk
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, RedInk said:

I’m not loving the weekly setup & vindication. At this point, I have no suspects. And while I don’t want it to be Simon, he’s the only one that hasn’t been suspected/cleared and the only one who can see her. Unless Mr. Martin is somehow responsible for their deaths in a supernatural way? The school is a magnet for tragedy about every 10 years. 

ETA: I read a fan theory (not a spoiler, but I’m gonna tag it bc I don’t know the rules 😜) that is way out there, but it would answer a lot of questions. Someone mentioned that the idea of “hijacking” a body was dropped in this episode because  

Hide contents

the mysterious ghost who was presumed to have crossed over has hijacked Maddie’s body. Maddie’s body isn’t found because it’s her body running around in the black clothes and mask, and Maddie doesn’t remember her death because she’s not dead, she’s possessed.

I don’t ever even read fan forums, but I stumbled on that one while I was trying to see if there’d be a second season, and it really would give the best possible resolution. 

That would clear up a lot and make some kind of sense .. 

10 hours ago, RedInk said:

Hide contents

That would make sense but also 

Spoiler

Would be kind of a bummer? I want her to be dead if only because I enjoy her interactions with the ghosts. And the burgeoning romance with Wally, who is endearingly sweet without it being annoying. 

Hate that Simon is in love with her. I liked them as actual best friends without that extra layer. Unnecessary.

The scene with Rhonda and Mr. Martin was disturbing because it felt like it was inching towards recreating her death scene. He clearly doesn’t want them moving on but I don’t know if it’s because he’s evil or because he doesn’t want to be left there alone. 

• Like 6

I guess I always suspected that Simon was in love with Maddie, so it wasn't a really surprise to me when he told her.

I also suspect they're dragging this out for season 2.  There are absolutely no viable suspects left.  I'm enjoying the show, but we're getting nowhere, and it's starting to wear on me.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, racked said:

That would make sense but also 

Reveal spoiler

Would be kind of a bummer? I want her to be dead if only because I enjoy her interactions with the ghosts. And the burgeoning romance with Wally, who is endearingly sweet without it being annoying. 

Hate that Simon is in love with her. I liked them as actual best friends without that extra layer. Unnecessary.

The scene with Rhonda and Mr. Martin was disturbing because it felt like it was inching towards recreating her death scene. He clearly doesn’t want them moving on but I don’t know if it’s because he’s evil or because he doesn’t want to be left there alone. 

Agree on all points, especially the part you had in the spoiler tag. I feel like it’ll be a sad ending no matter what the resolution is. Which makes for a kind of uncomfortable watch. 

• Like 1

Spoiler tags are unnecessary for anything that happened in this episode or in prior episodes. 

They are also unnecessary for speculation. 

References to later episodes or confirmed spoilers must be posted in the appropriate thread or needs to be under a spoiler tag. 

Feel free to PM me, @Dani if you have any questions. 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Has Mr. Martin established how he died or what role he had at the school before he died?  I agree that his behavior is sketchy.  I wonder if his deal is more about keeping the dead from leaving the school than helping them move forward.   

I just found out that Milo Manheim (Wally) is Camryn Manheim's son.  I guess the apple does not fall too far from the tree.

• Like 3
On 4/7/2023 at 6:58 AM, RedInk said:

Someone mentioned that the idea of “hijacking” a body was dropped in this episode because  

Dawn’s comment about hijacking a person really stood out to me. I feel like the twist is going to be that one of the spirits was involved in some way. 

12 hours ago, Dani said:

Dawn’s comment about hijacking a person really stood out to me. I feel like the twist is going to be that one of the spirits was involved in some way. 

Yes this might come into play soon. There's no way she just made the hijacking comment for no reason.

• Like 3

I always thought Mr. Martin was suspicious, but I didn't see how a spirit could have killed Maddie with the rules that had been set up in the previous episodes. But if spirits can hijack a person that would be a way for him to have killed Maddie. Another possibility would be that Maddie is not the only spirit who can communicate with a living person. Mr. Martin could have a living accomplice.

• Like 2

Wish I could figure out why the actress playing Maddie's mom looks so familiar. I've looked through her credits on IMDB but nothing rings a bell. Feels like she played a best friend in a 90s teen show.

On 4/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, QQQQ said:

Wish I could figure out why the actress playing Maddie's mom looks so familiar. I've looked through her credits on IMDB but nothing rings a bell. Feels like she played a best friend in a 90s teen show.

I did the same thing. She must have a doppelgänger out there because IMDB says I only know her from Orange is the New Black, but I feel like I can picture her younger. 

• Like 1

I remember Maddie's mom as the bad "guy" in Emergence, which was a show from 2019. It was about a little girl who had powers and is taken in by a cop and her daughter. She played Emily. It only lasted one season but it was ok.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 4/6/2023 at 2:09 AM, tired and hungry said:

We're finally seeing Mr. Martin's true colors. He's definitely keeping the spirits from helping Maddie and trying to hinder them. I think Mr. Martin too can speak to humans and is giving updates on what Maddie is figuring out to that person. (Or maybe he is making some kind of notes to leave behind as in the last scene he's seen with some papers)

Did not expect... (spoiler just in case)

Hide contents

...Dawn to cross over. She's been there the longest so its good that she's finally at peace. 

It made sense to me that Dawn crossed over after finding peace. I don't know if Mr Martin is evil - though what's with the IT'S MY JOB to take care of all of you bit, why is it his job? -- but preventing them from looking back keeps them from healing and reaching closure so they are ready to leave. Maybe a psych professor can die next and help out?

Dawn isn't the one who's been there the longest! Rhonda said she's been there 60 years, which tracks with her beatnik vibe, putting here there about 10 years before early-70s Dawn.

Edited by snarktini