Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/3/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, April 3 — Rob Lowe (“Unstable”)

Tuesday, April 4 — Michelle Williams (“Showing Up”); Leslie Odom Jr. and Nicolette Robinson (authors, “I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know”)

Wednesday, April 5 — Ariana DeBose (“Schmigadoon!”); Robin Thede (“A Black Lady Sketch Show”)

Thursday, April 6 — Taraji P. Henson; Chris Tucker (“Air”)

Friday, April 7 (OAD: 2/21/23)— The Political View with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) (author, “It’s OK to Be Angry About Capitalism”); Michael B. Jordan (“Creed III”)

Reruns on April 10-14

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking about the angel Reese/Caitlin Clark drama, everybody has their own interpretation. As a huge Hawkeye fan, here is mine: if Angel had a great shot in the midst of the game (and she had plenty) and she made some sort of gesture towards Caitlyn, nobody would’ve had a problem with that. But with seconds left in the game, she follows her around the court and makes that gesture repeatedly into her face and then the whole LSU team didn’t even bother to go to the handshake line as gracious winners do. 

4 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

the whole LSU team didn’t even bother to go to the handshake line as gracious winners do. 

To me that’s a worse offense than players making gestures at each other. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

GMS, I was watching the game live and the only LSU people who were participating in the handshake line were the coaches. Kim Mulkey stopped Caitlin Clark and told her what a good player she was. So, at least the head coach is a class act unlike the players.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

GMS, I was watching the game live and the only LSU people who were participating in the handshake line were the coaches. Kim Mulkey stopped Caitlin Clark and told her what a good player she was. So, at least the head coach is a class act unlike the players.

My husband watched the game and he said that is not true. If if were the press would be having a field day. There is no such story anywhere that I can find. I will need receipts to believe that happened. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
Typo
  • Like 1

As a student of TV law shows and multiple legal novels, I learned that you shouldn't bring a case that you don't have a very good chance of winning, even if there's a popular call for it. If you lose, you end up looking like "the boy who cried wolf", and the next case you bring against the defendant could be even weaker because you lost this one. So, unless Bragg has all his ducks in a row, and has solid case law to back him up, this could end up being very disappointing. 

MTG - analogies to Mandela and Jesus are crazily overblown. Who can take this argument seriously, if you are comparing Trump to Jesus? He's hardly Mandela, let alone the Messiah. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, geekburger said:

Was Whoopi alluding to a second taping at the opening of the show when she said seeing the audience was like dejavu?

Friday is a repeat, so they might pretape tomorrow’s episode to get an early start to their Easter weekend. Not sure if next week is live or if they’re on vacation. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa has rationalizing and defending on full blast today.  It’s annoying. 

What's more annoying is when Whoopi and/or Sunny cut her off before Alyssa can even get two words out of her mouth! 

This show is about opinions (aka  the view)...so let Alyssa speak her point of view, and then give your counterpoint. But no-o-o-o-o. Almost immediately Sunny has to cut Alyssa off saying something like "let (me) a former prosecutor tell you......" We know what your job was, Sunny, but some of us couldn't care less. You got YOUR point of view across without interruption, so how about giving the new kid a similar courtesy.

And then right after Sunny finally finishes her diatribe, then Whoopi starts talking about HER point of view. This is getting tedious even for ME, never mind Alyssa. I'm just waiting for the day when Alyssa finally yells "LET ME FINISH" ala Meghan. 

It's really unfortunate that Whoopi & Sunny always feel like they must attack everything Alyssa says. That is, IF Alyssa can ever finish her train of thoughts/opinions. And I'm sick of Sunny's side-eye too. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

What's more annoying is when Whoopi and/or Sunny cut her off before Alyssa can even get two words out of her mouth! 

That is why Alyssa has to preface EVERYTHING she says with, "Really quick..." because if she doesn't say it really quick, they will interrupt her!  (FWIW, you don't have to agree with somebody to give them some common courtesy...)

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
39 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

That is why Alyssa has to preface EVERYTHING she says with, "Really quick..." because if she doesn't say it really quick, they will interrupt her!  (FWIW, you don't have to agree with somebody to give them some common courtesy...)

Even if Alyssa says things I don't agree with I don't find myself saying oh STFU like I did with the previous cohost in that seat.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

It's really unfortunate that Whoopi & Sunny always feel like they must attack everything Alyssa says. That is, IF Alyssa can ever finish her train of thoughts/opinions. And I'm sick of Sunny's side-eye too. 

It's as though they are only giving lip service to the concept of multiple views or they are concerned that Alyssa might make some point that makes sense but differs from theirs. I don't even know if I would agree with Alyssa, because she doesn't always get to finish her point, but I know that there are times when I don't agree with Sunny or Whoopi. I'd like to see what happens if each panelist got to fully express their thoughts before the others reacted to it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Angel Reese needs to grow up. Jill Biden was not being biased, she was trying to celebrate all women athletes. The team refusing to go to the WH because of this is childish. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1
31 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Angel Reese needs to grow up. Jill Biden was not being biased, she was trying to celebrate all women athletes. The team refusing to go to the WH because of this is childish. 

I thought the outrage over Angel Reese and the hand gestures was ridiculous.  However some things she has said since then do not make her look good.   But also this is not the first time Jill Biden has said something that doesn't land well.  

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

But also this is not the first time Jill Biden has said something that doesn't land well.

Some people are just waiting to be offended and looking for an opportunity to be outraged and to correct others. Some people construct “disrespect” narratives that suit this agenda. These people are getting on my last nerve. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

These interruptions have long annoyed me. I want to hear what everyone has to say, even SWWNBM. Sometimes Alyssa prefaces with “I just want to say two things…” then speaks fast and is interrupted anyway.  Such disappointing behavior from adults. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Alyssa has no redeeming features as far as I'm concerned (except superficial) BUT she should still be allowed to has her say without being interrupted no matter how many lies & what aboutisms she throws in there, rip her a new one once she's been allowed to say her piece.

In the quaint interest of reducing the spread of misinformation, I support calm interruption of anyone who’s stated a dangerous nonfactual comment, rather than allowing a speaker to endlessly elaborate (often at hyper speed) on that falsehood.

Truly curious- does some conservative entity train broadcast journalists (mainly female, in my limited experience) in the art of machine gun speech?  On The View, we’ve had Jed, MM, and now Alyssa sharing the rapid talk affliction, and elsewhere, whatshername Conway.  Are there any liberal broadcasters who speak this way?

Edited by flummoxd
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, flummoxd said:

In the quaint interest of reducing the spread of misinformation, I support calm interruption of anyone who’s stated a dangerous nonfactual comment, rather than allowing a speaker to endlessly elaborate (often at hyper speed) on that falsehood.

I agree. When she’s deliberately spouting misleading information I hope the others will continue to interrupt. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Look at it from her perspective.  For the past 30 - 40 years winning teams have gone to the White House.  It is tradition.   The losing team has never been invited.   There have been plenty of other great national championship games in women's basketball.   But this year, after she and her team was accused of poor sportsmanship (The team was falsely accused on social media of not shaking the Iowa players hands after the game) the FLOTUS wants to invite the loser?....  Add to this that she's only 20 years old.   Not surprised by her reaction at all.   

Sunny had a point on unconscious bias.   Emphasis on the word unconscious.  Jill was not consciously trying to be offensive or slight LSU.   But there is something that made Jill Biden think that Iowa should come to the WH even though they lost.   And it's not like they lost by 1 point on a last second buzzer beater, Iowa lost handily by almost 20 points.   Wasn't even close.     Maybe it's what Whoopi/Sarah said that it's the teacher in her that wants to give everyone a star.    Or maybe it was something else that made her empathize with the Iowa team more than LSU 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just realized Georgetown Univ. is a Catholic school - otherwise surely abortion rights would be among the top three priorities of Alyssa’s college students?     As it’s a sectarian school, I don’t think her informal opinion of students’ concerns bears much weight.

Glitches, I watch Seth Meyers on his late night show occasionally, usually turning off after “A Closer Look,” but my vague question was meant to inquire re “news”-y broadcasters, not comedians.  Sorry I wasn’t more specific🙂

(edited)
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Look at it from her perspective.  For the past 30 - 40 years winning teams have gone to the White House.  It is tradition.   The losing team has never been invited.   There have been plenty of other great national championship games in women's basketball.   But this year, after she and her team was accused of poor sportsmanship (The team was falsely accused on social media of not shaking the Iowa players hands after the game) the FLOTUS wants to invite the loser?....  Add to this that she's only 20 years old.   Not

But for her and her teammates to pout and boycott the meeting is childish. I was with her in thinking the criticism re gestures was unfair.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

But to pout and boycott the meeting is childish. 

Some say pout, I say being strong with her message. She has reached her limit of bullshit. Good for her.  I think Biden "both sidesing" a basketball tournament is childish. Childish in that damn, shouldn't she know better than this kind of shit by now? If not, she needs to brush up. Black women/black people do not have to perform forgiveness for white people. That shit is tired, besides, I don't think an apology was even offered. I have a feeling when this happened, Barack and Michelle looked at each other knowingly. Neither had to say a word, they both knew and just shook their damn heads. 

• Like 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

But to pout and boycott the meeting is childish. 

She's 20.  Not that far removed from a child.   A 20 year old who had some very unfair national criticism thrown her way on what should have been the happiest time of her life.   Reason to "pout" to me.  She's allowed to not be OK about all of this.    Hopefully over time cooler heads will prevail and if the team chooses to go to the White House, they will.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 6

Re King Charles’ s  coronation, something tells me if Asunción’s little darlings had dared act up at a similar, formal public function, where the Hostin clan was spotlit, Sunny wouldn’t be laughing it off.  (Nor would I.) I agree with Alyssa and Whoops, royal preschoolers should make a very brief appearance, then hightail it back to their nannies/armed guards/padded cell, whatevs.  And poor Princess Kate - Sunny finds her “boring.”

• Like 2
On 4/5/2023 at 4:48 AM, geekburger said:

Was Whoopi alluding to a second taping at the opening of the show when she said seeing the audience was like dejavu?

From the 'net:  "The View" is taped in New York City on weekday mornings. On some days they also tape a second show in the afternoon.    She has said it before and every time I wish she'd say something original--but I guess it IS original to the audience watching Show #2.

2 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny had a point on unconscious bias.   Emphasis on the word unconscious.  Jill was not consciously trying to be offensive or slight LSU.

I had this discussion with my middle-aged son. We disagree.  He thinks it could be a bit more than unconscious bias on the part of Mrs. Biden--but we'll never know.  I think it was just a kind female...a mother who saw two fabulous women's teams compete--and didn't think before she spoke.  She thought every player needed recognition. I do agree that we'll never know.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I had this discussion with my middle-aged son. We disagree.  He thinks it could be a bit more than unconscious bias on the part of Mrs. Biden--but we'll never know.  I think it was just a kind female...a mother who saw two fabulous women's teams compete--and didn't think before she spoke.  She thought every player needed recognition. I do agree that we'll never know.  

Disclaimer: I cannot care less about basketball, college or professional, women's or men's.

Maybe Jill had bias, unconscious or not, maybe she was clueless about the tradition, maybe she was just trying to be polite and nice to all the players - who knows. It was a comment, not an "official" invitation, so it is highly unlikely that both teams would end up going to the White House. The WH protocol people would iron it all out in the end, anyway. I think all of the panelists would like to get the benefit of the doubt if they made such an error, instead of assuming ill intent with no evidence. 

It is understandable for the player to feel a bit hurt by the comment because no one likes to feel that they are not getting their due, but it was immature of her to make that public statement before any official invitation was extended, and presumptuous to speak for the whole team. Sure, she's young, so there's some latitude there, but she's not doing herself any favors if she continues to do this. 

• Like 9
On 4/5/2023 at 3:35 PM, StaceyNotStacie said:

Friday is a repeat, so they might pretape tomorrow’s episode to get an early start to their Easter weekend. Not sure if next week is live or if they’re on vacation. 

They return April 17th.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Does anyone else think they should have a reserve panel for such things as they seem to miss a lot of important news.

That's what the morning "news"* shows do. It gives viewers fresh content and also opens things up for some different perspectives. I like the idea!

* These shows now have a small amount of news vs. a lot of human interest, gossip, and entertainment interviews.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

That's what the morning "news"* shows do. It gives viewers fresh content and also opens things up for some different perspectives. I like the idea!

* These shows now have a small amount of news vs. a lot of human interest, gossip, and entertainment interviews.

You are right. This show and all the morning shows have largely stopped covering news. CBS morning show has about as much substance as The Talk and now, The View.  News drops on Friday, it seems and The View is too worried about a 4 day work week. I am over it.  All of it. Everything. 

2 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I guess the "view" can be interpreted to be current or past news events, celebrity "gossip", deals, etc.  I mostly have stopped watching, but do check in here.

It has really declined this year. I catch the hot topics but that is over in about 15 minutes, 6 of which are commercials. They need to put this show out to pasture or call it what it is, View Your Deal or Fleecing the Poor. 

• Like 3

Several posts in this topic were hidden for violating our politics policy. Trump is still a political figure, whether he is on trial or not, so posts about the trial fall under said policy. For future posts, remember that political posts are only allowed as they relate to the episode and may not be used to deviate into a more general discussion. If you need to, re-familiarize yourself with the site's Politics Policy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Personally, I enjoy the show most days which is why I seldom have much to say beyond commenting on outfits, hair, or a good joke from Joy or Ana most of the time. I think that's why there are less comments these days, there seem to always be less comments whenever the show is doing well and out of "shitshow" territory as when Hasselbeck or McCain were there, the Sherri-McCarthy season, or the Whoopi-dominated second half of the two Rosie's season. Negativity always brings more discussion than positivity does, but the show clearly can do well in the ratings without all of that.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, flummoxd said:

Re King Charles’ s  coronation, something tells me if Asunción’s little darlings had dared act up at a similar, formal public function, where the Hostin clan was spotlit, Sunny wouldn’t be laughing it off.  (Nor would I.) I agree with Alyssa and Whoops, royal preschoolers should make a very brief appearance, then hightail it back to their nannies/armed guards/padded cell, whatevs.  And poor Princess Kate - Sunny finds her “boring.”

My take on her comments was that Sunny was mostly supportive of the child embarrassing the royals in public with those awkward moments because she doesn't like them, lol

• Like 8
  • Wink 2
On 4/6/2023 at 2:23 PM, flummoxd said:

Small children making a short appearance during a long even makes sense. More people should consider what the child's capacity is for attention rather than keeping them present for everything. Otherwise, the child might start to act out in various ways and it disrupts everyone. 

Kate (or Camilla) is "boring"? Maybe, but realistically, "boring" is in the eye of the beholder. We'd all like to believe that we are interesting to everyone, but sadly, that isn't always the case.

• Like 3

My 91-yr-old mother called me in a panic today because her DVR wasn’t recording The View. I told her that I set it up to only record new shows, not reruns and the ladies were on spring break this week. “Oh no”, she says, “what am I gonna do?” We all feel your pain, Mom!😎

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2