Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Ironic

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It's a good thing this show is ending now, so we have succesfully avoided seeing 22-year-old Theo throwing a tantrum after his wife burned his chicken nuggies.

Or his husband.  (I know he's presenting as being interested in girls now, but ya never know!)  Years from now he could be proposing to one of his sports buddies who he secretly had a crush on.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

I honestly feel like the writers feel like they must maintain some sort of equilibrium regarding the hair and costuming choices!  You thought Katherine’s were terrible?  Well, now it’s her wedding day and she looks fantastic.  Guess what, Delilah is now the worst.

Also, it took me this long to clock the title as an Alanis Morissette (talk about 90s’ throwbacks) reference —- “it’s like raaaaainnn on your wedding day.”  

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Also, it took me this long to clock the title as an Alanis Morissette (talk about 90s’ throwbacks) reference —- “it’s like raaaaainnn on your wedding day.”  

Which is always pointed out that this isn't ironic.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Edited 16 hours ago by Lethallyfab

Omg…but were they trying to line up parts of that song with moments from the episode? 
Free ride when you’ve already paid - Carter in the limo?

Good advice that you just didn’t take - Jon’s voicemail and Eddie not being with Delilah 

Also in any other show Benny would have kidnapped Javi. I was waiting for that to go down. 🤣

I’d prefer they not kill Gary. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, hoosiergirl said:

Omg…but were they trying to line up parts of that song with moments from the episode? 
Free ride when you’ve already paid - Carter in the limo?

Good advice that you just didn’t take - Jon’s voicemail and Eddie not being with Delilah 

Also in any other show Benny would have kidnapped Javi. I was waiting for that to go down. 🤣

I’d prefer they not kill Gary. 

Eddie and Delilah could also be "It's meeting the man of my dreams, And then meeting his beautiful wife." (Going both ways, of course.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3

This won’t be popular at all but I thought Katherine looked like an old lady.  The hair and the dress.  I also thought Greta wearing Katherine’s deceased father’s tux was creepy not endearing or sentimental.   “D” driving them to the pier and then swooping in like Superman to save the wedding, big stretch.  Convenient how all the group got there hours early and could paint and get things all set up.  If Gary dies in the finale, I will be more than upset.  If someone has to go can’t it be Greta or Delilah?  

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Endora said:

This won’t be popular at all but I thought Katherine looked like an old lady.  The hair and the dress.  I also thought Greta wearing Katherine’s deceased father’s tux was creepy not endearing or sentimental.   “D” driving them to the pier and then swooping in like Superman to save the wedding, big stretch.  Convenient how all the group got there hours early and could paint and get things all set up.  If Gary dies in the finale, I will be more than upset.  If someone has to go can’t it be Greta or Delilah?  

I seriously doubt that Katherine's deceased father would have wanted a woman to wear his wedding tuxedo at his daughter's second wedding.  People justify what they want by claiming a dead person's stamp of approval all the time.  Unless you actually know what the dearly departed wanted before they died, leave it alone.

• Like 9
On 4/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, Lethallyfab said:

I also found it telling that Gary was so eager to regale the audience with his “hilarious” toast and not a thing he said ending up being funny.  “Oh, y’all had Slumber Parties?  Like, *sexy* Slumber Parties?  Please tell me all the details so I can picture two of my friends getting freaky.”   

That was so creepy - Greta and Katherine were in HIGH SCHOOL at the time (a grown man salivating at the thought of two teenage girls getting freaky is gross and certainly not funny or cute). How could anyone think that this was ok to say? I also didn't find Greta wearing Katherine's dad's tux to be sentimental - it came across as icky to me.

So Delilah lives in a hotel with Charlie; Sophie (we all assume) is in Haiti; where was Danny and since Charlie was at the wedding,why wasn't he? Why was Charlie at the wedding at all? Who invites their ex husband's mistress and ex husband's love child to their wedding? At the rate it's going, I'm totally expecting Katherine to say to Eddie something along the lines that him cheating on her with Delilah was a blessing since it lead to her reuniting with her true love and giving him her blessing🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Gary is so definitely gonna die; the series started with a death and will end with another one.

• Like 9
19 minutes ago, christie said:

So Delilah lives in a hotel with Charlie; Sophie (we all assume) is in Haiti; where was Danny and since Charlie was at the wedding, why wasn't he? Why was Charlie at the wedding at all? Who invites their ex husband's mistress and ex husband's love child to their wedding? At the rate it's going, I'm totally expecting Katherine to say to Eddie something along the lines that him cheating on her with Delilah was a blessing since it lead to her reuniting with her true love and giving him her blessing🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

As I recall, Danny was at the wedding with his boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Endora said:

Katherine’s deceased father’s tux was creepy not endearing or sentimental.

Stranger still, apparently Greta and Katherine's Dad are the exact same size!  No tailoring required, lol.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

Yes, Danny was at the wedding but I don’t think he had any speaking lines. 

I really hope they leave Gary’s future ambiguous in the finale. I’m not expecting a miraculous recovery but let’s just leave it with him fighting it and we’re not sure how much time he’ll have left but they are making the most of it. We don’t need to see his death onscreen. 

I actually came around to liking Greta, but I still think Kathryn and Eddie should’ve been endgame. It would’ve been a much more satisfying conclusion than him being hastily stuck with Delilah at the last minute. But I will say I’ve liked Delilah since she’s come back, she has acknowledged her bad choices and seems more humble and kind. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, desertflower said:

I really hope they leave Gary’s future ambiguous in the finale.

That would be a much better and in a way, interesting, finale. Not too much drama, leave it to the audience to imagine. Don't  trust the writers to come up with interesting ideas, though. Personally, I would have got rid of the character form the start. Never liked him, and dislike him more and more each episode. 

• Like 3

Why did Gary give a speech?  I don’t recall him being particularly close with Katherine and he really doesn’t even know Greta. Actually I don’t believe any of them were close to her,  she seemed to be sort of on the outside the group. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Endora said:

Why did Gary give a speech?  I don’t recall him being particularly close with Katherine and he really doesn’t even know Greta. Actually I don’t believe any of them were close to her,  she seemed to be sort of on the outside the group. 

Just another inexplicable thing about the wedding.  Delilah helping with wedding prep and Maggie sings, for instance. Delilah was part of breaking up Katherine's previous marriage and when did Maggie get close to Katherine.  I guess we are to assume that the marriage never should have been since it was just temporary while waiting for Katherine to find out she was gay and her first love was waiting for her all these years.  In other words, Theo shouldn't have ever existed. 

Who exactly was close to Katherine anyway? They appeared to have contempt for her until after Jon died.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Endora said:

Because Gary likes to give speeches, is my guess.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5

Of the group I think Gary was closer to Katherine than the others (excluding Eddie) were. He made an effort to remain friends with her when everything was going down with Eddie, made an effort to make sure she knew he appreciated her as more than Eddie's plus one.  THis was way back in the first season but if any of them save Eddie is close to Ktherine it is Gary.   

I don't think it was offensive to have Greta not walk down the aisle.  I have been to same sex weddings with exactly this format.  I hve been to same sex weddings where both brides walked down the aisle with a loved one in dresses.  I've been to sme sex weddings where both brides walked down the aisle together.  In my experience the brides or grooms discuss how they invision their wedding and compromises are made and sometimes it is very traditional and sometimes it is not.   

It might have been nice to have the moment where Katherine checks in that Greta is sure she doesn't want to come down the aisle so we know it is her choice but it is certainly one of the ways I see it done.  I'd personally pick that way because I'm clumsy AF and there is less opportunity for me to trip and fall on my face before the ceremony if  I skip the aisle bit.   

We are still in the first generation of gay weddings and only just recently are the generation of LGBTQ people becoming adults who knew marriage would be an option for them.   For the generation before that the only wedding model they had was the traditional one.  I have a very good friend who is a practicing Catholic and for him he hasn't achieved equality until he has been married in his church by his priest the way his siblings, his parents and grandparents were.   It isn't my jam but I understand why that's his benchmark.   

It is Gen Z that is going to bust this wide open.   

My mom was terribly offended about having to change her name when she married in 1958.   When her youngest sibling married in 77 she didn't change her name.  Only 2 people in the next generation changed their names when the got married and one of those hyphenated with her wife. My trans nephew recently got married and they both took my mom's maiden name.   They asked me if mom would approve.  I told them that I genuinely thought my mom would be overwhelmed by happiness.   And that is true but if she wouldn't have been?   That's on her for not living long enough to object.

• Like 2
On 4/19/2023 at 10:22 PM, JayDub1987 said:

i wanna be annoyed at Maggie singing, but once again, Allison Miller is so damn cute, and her being on screen is a good thing. 

I will co-sign this. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1