Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosted (2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Directed by Dexter Fletcher and written by Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Chris McKenna, and Erik Sommers, from a story by Reese and Wernick. The film stars Chris Evans and Ana de Armas. Produced by Apple Studios and Skydance Media, it is set to be released by Apple TV+ on April 21, 2023.

The trailer looks awful. Just a hot mess, the film clearly doesn’t know what it wants to be. The two leads just seem awkward and don’t seem to have any chemistry. The critics have bulldozed it.

Has anyone that’s seen it though confirm if it’s watchable?

I just read a tagline of review that it was the worst movie of the year by far.  I'm still going to watch it, though, because like @twoodssaid, looking at Chris Evans for an hour and a half is never unpleasant.  Besides, I've seen plenty of movies over the years that I've liked that reviewers thought were terrible. 

• Like 1

I lasted about 45 minutes and lost interest.  I thought the trailer looked fun and silly, and that Ana and Chris had chemistry in Knives Out. So I figured I'd enjoy this. 

I don't know, maybe in Knives Out the chemistry worked because Chris portrayed a murderous sociopath and Ana a befuddled nurse? In this, Ana has a distractingly bad wig.  Adrien Brody is doing a terrible accent and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be serious or satire. 

The beauty of streaming is that I may come back to it and finish later.   

It kept me entertained (except I ffed the torture and bug scenes because yuck) and was funny so I watched all of it, plus Chris and Ana were very pretty together and thought they had nice chemistry. I forgot they were in Knives Out as well, but man are both of them gorgeous. It was sometimes distracting me from the storyline, which was a lot of fluff and action.  I couldn’t stop laughing at all the

Spoiler

guest star cameos that had short lived scenes before they were killed. How did they get all those people? Right- all BFFS with Chris Evans. I did like seeing Jafar from Aladdin and thought he did a better job in this). 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I lasted about 45 minutes and lost interest.  I thought the trailer looked fun and silly, and that Ana and Chris had chemistry in Knives Out. So I figured I'd enjoy this. 

I had forgotten that they interacted in Knives Out. I liked the promo because it seemed to promise Chris as a very soft boy and Ana as a badass. I am turning it off halfway through (even though I loved his family and Tim Blake Nelson as Borislov) because Cole's not soft enough and the banter doesn't make me like either Cole or Sadie. 

I don’t Know if I enjoy or believe Ana in the badass roles. The Gray man was another one of her films that didn’t land for me. Having said that it was a woeful and bland script so can’t put it all on her. 

as already said I think they had chemistry in Knives Out because the characters were polar opposite. Here Chris is meant to be the ordinary Joe to her badass but I have a hard time buying him in this role thanks to captain America.

Not a single joke has landed for me so far. It all just feels really awkward. Like maybe they all realised it was going to be a stinker midway through filming.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Applause 1

It was dumb fun. For someone that swears he’s done with the MCU, Chris Evans sure likes to use the in-jokes quite often. 

But I’m just gonna say it: 

Spoiler

Watching Sam and Bucky kill each other was way better than all 6 episodes of FATWS!

• Like 2

This was godawful and painful to watch. I can’t believe Chris actually paid to get this done. Well, I’m assuming as he has a producer credit. And I don’t know what they were smoking when they tried to say where Sadie was driving in that bridge surrounded by trees was “somewhere on the outskirts of Washington, DC” Yeah, riiiiiiight. 😒😒😒

Not even Chris’s hawtness was worth this drivel.

Sadly,  I didn't even make it an hour.  I've seen Ana in an action sequence before (I forget which movie) and she pulled it off well, but this wasn't working for me. And I don't think Chris is cut out for this kind of movie.  Although, I suppose part of it could have been the script. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I've seen Ana in an action sequence before (I forget which movie) and she pulled it off well, but this wasn't working for me.

I believe you’re thinking of No Time To Die?

It kind of annoyed me that even though Chris’s character was rightfully called out repeatedly for her stalker-ish behavior, in the end he was still kind of rewarded it, you know? Talk about mixed messaging. Maybe that was part of why the movie didn’t work.

The cameos were good for a cheap laugh, especially the one I spoiler tagged in my other post, but that was about it. I was entertained, but I used the fast forward button a lot.

Watching this made me even more bitter about things turned in the MCU, and I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by Spartan Girl

I bailed after an hour. I would have quit earlier but I knew about the cameos. I could have dealt with the cheesy dialogue and lackluster chemistry but the action wasn’t even good. I felt like I was watching a SNL parody sketch. It makes me think the problem was with the directing because everyone was bad in the exact same way. 

It took me WAY too long to recognize Tate Donovan as the dad!

It wasn't terrible, but I felt like it was too long. I would have cut everything with the bugs to make it shorter. There were just a few too many new obstacle/shoot 'em up scenes - was veering more into action comedy than action romcom. 

Wasn't the worst movie I've ever watched, but I probably won't watch it again either.

• Like 2
On 4/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

In this, Ana has a distractingly bad wig.

It’s so bad! 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:54 PM, shantown said:

It took me WAY too long to recognize Tate Donovan as the dad!

Me too! I was just aghast that we were supposed to believe that Tate Donovan was Chris Evans’ dad, but then I realized he’s almost 60. When did that happen!?!

This movie was originally supposed to star Scarlett Johansson, and I think she would have been much better suited for the role. Although the script was so weak, I doubt it would have helped much. 

• Like 1
On 4/22/2023 at 6:13 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I don’t know what they were smoking when they tried to say where Sadie was driving in that bridge surrounded by trees was “somewhere on the outskirts of Washington, DC” Yeah, riiiiiiight. 😒

It depends on what you consider “outskirts” because it does in fact look like that around 45 minutes outside of DC. 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, absnow54 said:

This movie was originally supposed to star Scarlett Johansson, and I think she would have been much better suited for the role. Although the script was so weak, I doubt it would have helped much. 

Agree, I think Johansson would have been a better fit. 

On 4/23/2023 at 3:29 PM, Shannon L. said:

Yes!  Thank you. All I could remember was some of the action and that beautiful blue dress.

I was also obsessed with that dress! Her Bond girl scenes were rather brief, so she didn't have to carry the film as an action star. 

On 4/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, absnow54 said:

I was just aghast that we were supposed to believe that Tate Donovan was Chris Evans’ dad, but then I realized he’s almost 60.

I was confused about that too, but I remembered movie magic where actors within 10-15 years (sometimes less) of each other perform parent/child relationships. Chris is in his 40s, so it's a stretch. I mean, yes, there are still teenage parents, but come on now.  At least this time it was the men instead of the women. 

• Like 1