Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Track 2: I’ll Take You There

• Start Topic

716FCQPWj5L._SX536_.jpg
Having found her voice, Daisy navigates the LA music scene–with the guidance of her close friend Simone and legendary producer Teddy Price. Now in LA and with keyboardist Karen Sirko, the Dunne Brothers band experience their own challenges trying to make it. After a chance encounter with Teddy offers hope, the band is heartbroken to find Billy’s demons threatening to overpower his potential.

Premiere Date: March 2, 2023    Prime Video

We got this far.  Good for the wife!  I did tell my daughter who has read the book that if they bring in Manson (as is so common with shows set in LA involving music at this time), that I was out.

I love how they're splicing Teddy into the Merv Griffin Show.  

I have not read the book. The first episode was good. But I’m frustrated with this one. Does Daisy want to be famous or not? She’s given a chance with Teddy Price and doesn’t take it. The Dunne/The Six get their chance and Billy blows it by drinking, doing drugs and cheating on his pregnant wife. 
I like this story and will probably keep watching but I’m not liking Daisy or Billy at all. 

1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

I have not read the book. The first episode was good. But I’m frustrated with this one. Does Daisy want to be famous or not? She’s given a chance with Teddy Price and doesn’t take it. The Dunne/The Six get their chance and Billy blows it by drinking, doing drugs and cheating on his pregnant wife. 
I like this story and will probably keep watching but I’m not liking Daisy or Billy at all. 

I think the show didn’t do a good job of connecting the dots on these two things. I don’t want to get into book talk, but will say more of an explanation is given there. With Billy we are supposed to assume that his relationship with his Dad had a deep effect on him that informs how Billy feels about his ability to be successful in his personal and professional life.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, meep.meep said:

I was wondering whether it was splicing or a deep fake. I'm not old enough to remember his show, so I was wondering if somebody else here could tell whether that was real footage of him.

As for the episode, the storylines are still very cliched, but the production value is good and music is decent, so I'll keep watching. 

On 3/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, meep.meep said:

We got this far.  Good for the wife!  I did tell my daughter who has read the book that if they bring in Manson (as is so common with shows set in LA involving music at this time), that I was out.

Camila Morrone was great in the scene where she yelled at Billy. 

Spoiler

This was 1974 I believe. Manson would have already been in prison. I read the book as well and I'm pretty sure he wasn't mentioned.

Riley Keough's good enough to make me forget she's a nepo baby.  Thought she was great in The Girlfriend Experience.

The story's got me interested but it's coming off as trite and cliche.  The Dunne Brothers happen to meet Seth Bullock in Pittsburgh, then they just happen to meet Teddy Price in L.A. ...  uh-huh.  The lead-singer angst.   Drugs ... overacting onstage ... rehab.  Yawn.  The pregnancy pulled it squarely into Soapoperaville.   It's like Almost Famous meets Lifetime Movie meets "Faithfully" by Journey.

Funny how every woman the band encounters is beautiful.   Lucky guys.  🙄

• Like 3
On 3/6/2023 at 11:29 PM, kassandra8286 said:

Not to mention hotter! Love his straight hair in 1997, gives me Jackson Browne vibes.

Me too! I'm distracted by his hair! It seems thicker and healthier than it did twenty years ago, which doesn't make sense. He looks so much better in these scenes that I don't even like watching him in the flashbacks. 

16 hours ago, millennium said:

I just need to add that "I put the dial in the tone" is one of the worst lyrics I have ever heard.

I was cringing! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I am a late comer to this show having just read the book. I am having a hard time getting into it. It is the character of Billy. He looks way too old to be playing someone in his early to mid 20's and I can't get over it. I am also having a hard time with Daisy. Riley Keogh is a good enough actress but again the character is so different from the way the book describes her. Not sure if I am going to watch any more after 2 episodes.

i have no problems dumping the superfluous 6th band member from the book (who is virtually absent in the narrative and adds nothing to the story), i have to laugh that any band would include the girlfriend of a band member to such an extent that she is considered the "6th band member."  frankly, the 6th member was a weakness of the book as well, she should have just found another band name.  

and yeah, the interview appearances are hard to reconcile with the flashback ones.  

• Like 1