Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Track 1: Come and Get It

• Start Topic

DJTS_S1_UT_101_211111_TERLAC_00222RC_300
Daisy Jones is a disaffected teenager who finds meaning in the Sunset Strip rock scene. In suburban Pennsylvania, Billy Dunne, his brother Graham, and their best friends Eddie and Warren form a band, desperate to escape their surroundings. When Billy and Daisy meet, her talent and his ambition will combine to change all of their lives, for better and worse. This is the story of what happened.

Premiere Date: March 2, 2023    Prime Video

• Like 1

We only had time to watch the first episode tonight. I like it so far as someone who read the book. It seems like Riley is playing Daisy with a bit more vulnerability and naïveté than just automatically being the cool It Girl type. I’m looking forward to viewing the rest of the series. 

• Like 2

So 20 years after they've broken up and they haven't aged them up at all. I think if anything Suki Waterhouse looks younger in the 20 years interview than she does in the bits more than 2 decades before.
Someone who partied hard in the 1970's did not still look in their twenties/thirties in the 90's

• Like 5

I really want to like this show, because I love the music of the time, but so far, it's a pretty big "meh" for me. Billy Dunne is seems to encapsulate every tortured musician/love interest cliche, which I can already tell is going to exhausting. I'll probably try to work through the other two episodes they have posted, but feel like this show may fall off my radar.

• Like 3

Haven’t read the book, but have read others by the author so I figured I’d give it a chance. I’m not hooked yet, but I’ll probably keep watching. 

I love the whole early of 70’s Laurel Canyon music scene, so I’m loving this. I read the book so I like seeing the characters come alive. And from the shallow end of the pool I’d watch Sam Clayton read the weather report. I’m in. 

• Like 6

I haven't read the book but know many who have and love it so I thought I'd give this a look.  Only watched the first episode and am enjoying it.  Yeah, so far there's nothing new, nothing we haven't seen in other rising star stories, but the characters are likable enough and the music is good.  I might have preferred a linear story rather than one told in flashback by present day band members giving cryptic remarks, but I'll continue to watch.

• Like 5
On 3/3/2023 at 3:58 AM, maggiegil said:

So 20 years after they've broken up and they haven't aged them up at all. I think if anything Suki Waterhouse looks younger in the 20 years interview than she does in the bits more than 2 decades before.

Same with Billy!  He looks sooooo old in the 70's that I'm having a hard time suspending disbelief.  It's like an old, weathered, Dad running around with a bunch of kids.  It's distracting.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Same with Billy!  He looks sooooo old in the 70's that I'm having a hard time suspending disbelief.  It's like an old, weathered, Dad running around with a bunch of kids.  It's distracting.

He looks more like what I think someone in their twenties would have looked like in the 70's people really did look a lot older. But I agree he looks ridiculous with all the rest of them looking fairly youthful and fresh faced.

I still can't wrap my head around what they were thinking not aging them up significantly or using a different cast in the interviews. If we're supposed to be suspending belief that much about their ages, why have other people play them as young teens?

13 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

He looks more like what I think someone in their twenties would have looked like in the 70's people really did look a lot older.

True. It's the other actors who look too young in comparison to him.  The actor who plays Billy has actually a very Seventies authentic look about him.  But that doesn't explain why 20 years later he looks like a Barry Gibb style hottie.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 3/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, absnow54 said:

Billy Dunne is seems to encapsulate every tortured musician/love interest cliche, which I can already tell is going to exhausting.

This is one of my favorite books, and I don’t disagree that Billy is exhausting. The actor must be good because he’s already getting on my nerves.

I’ve only watched the first episode so far. I’m nearly always in the “the book was better” camp, and while I don’t expect that to change here, so far I’m liking it well enough. I re-read the book last week in preparation and I like that I’m recognizing major chunks of dialogue, character/personality aspects, and plot points — I hate when they make changes for no reason. Most of the changes so far make sense to help translate to TV. I am interested to see how they explain that there are apparently only going to be 5 members of the band not counting Daisy, which does NOT make sense — the band was called The Six before she came along because there were SIX of them.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, Kiki620 said:

I noticed this too. Billy looks rough and much older than the others. He looks better supposedly 20 years later. 

I enjoyed the first episode. I like the nostalgia of the 70s and loved the Laurel Canyon documentary I saw about it (can't remember the name but it was multiple parts and excellent), so it made me want to watch this. I didn't read the book but I might now. 

I am interested to see how they explain that there are apparently only going to be 5 members of the band not counting Daisy, which does NOT make sense — the band was called The Six before she came along because there were SIX of them.

Irish Mermaid, thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering about the six title. I kept counting and there are only five!

Edited by Sweet-tea
On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, Kiki620 said:

Billy (Sam) reminds me of Rick Springfield, who looked older to me even when he was a young man. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, magdalene said:

True. It's the other actors who look too young in comparison to him.  The actor who plays Billy has actually a very Seventies authentic look about him.  But that doesn't explain why 20 years later he looks like a Barry Gibb style hottie.

Quoting myself ha, ha.  My mother told me that guys in the 23 - 25 age range came across like men to her, now young men but definitely like men.

Now to me guys of that age come across as teenage boys usually. And I don't mean that as a compliment.