Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Weekend from Hell

Neptune
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Annber03 said:

LMAO, Trevor singing "Tubthumping" at the end. Of course he would like that song :D.

I like it, too.

4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Just like Pete, any other parent would lay down their life for their child if they thought for one second that their child was near death.  He was the easiest target for Elias.

I would lay down my life, but not my soul.  Completely idiotic on Pete's part.  And then he shook his hand again at the end. Pete, Pete, Pete.

I was afraid we were going to have Elias forever.  Glad he went back.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Skooma said:

As several people above your post mentioned, Sam is on the Pete's family group emailing list.  I thought I remembered that Trevor helped get them get on the list with his internet skillz/power.  Somebody mentioned Trevor anyway when the first family group email arrived as I recall.

That doesn’t sound right.  It would make Sam a stalker who keeps reading other people’s correspondence not intended for her, which might actually be illegal.  I hope the show didn’t write it this way.  On the other hand, it’s not clear exactly why Pete’s daughter would start sending her family newsletter to a woman she met only once, no matter how nice or respectful of her father Sam was.  Feels like a family newsletter should be for closer friends than that.

I completely missed Jay’s line acknowledging to the Menu Hunter that made lamb chops even though she had come to try the chicken.  I thought he writers dropped the ball there, but no, those people know what they are doing.  I guess Trevor’s plan to get Jay in the same mindset didn’t work after all. “He also wrote a rock opera and finished an adult coloring book.”  Boy, did I misunderstand the adult coloring book part…

“Jay is making a port wine reduction.” - “Uh, bro, it’s a demi-glace.” - “It was a demi-glace, and then he added port wine, bro.  Keep up!”  I bet Sass absorbs absolutely everything he hears and he knows all about the Special Relationship, and probably about modern medicine too.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I would lay down my life, but not my soul.  Completely idiotic on Pete's part. 

He panicked.  I don't fault him for being so quick to take action, and I don't think that makes him an idiot.  ;) 

• Like 8
54 minutes ago, shura said:

“Jay is making a port wine reduction.” - “Uh, bro, it’s a demi-glace.” - “It was a demi-glace, and then he added port wine, bro.  Keep up!”  I bet Sass absorbs absolutely everything he hears and he knows all about the Special Relationship, and probably about modern medicine too.

I loved Trevor and Sasappis actually arguing with each other over how Jay cooked his meal. Now I'm imagining them watching cooking shows together and getting into deep discussions about the foods and so on :p. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

I'm sure Nigel's going to try and blackmail Hetty. (I didn't think he had it in him until he hissed, "Half birthday my ass!" and then I thought: Oh, it's on for sure.). The writers are probably (I hope) planning the ensuing battles between those two.

Yeah, this is one of the few shows in which I have confidence in the writing. They definitely follow through and are very good with continuity. Come to think of it, there was no immediate follow-up to the first time Hetty and Trevor hooked up. The next episode did not mention or reference it. It wasn't until the episode after that it came up again.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He panicked.  I don't fault him for being so quick to take action, and I don't think that makes him an idiot.  ;) 

Yes, Elias knew exactly which ghost to target (Pete is the least selfish of them easily) and exactly which button to push (Pete would do anything to save the life of his grandchild. He would not hesitate for a second, which I think makes him incredibly brave rather than an idiot.)

It wouldn't surprise me if Elias had made his own deal with the devil, if he can get a pure soul for the devil to torment, he gets set free. That is about the only thing out of his mouth that I believed. 

I did love Alberta telling Hettie to forgive him for herself, not for him. It is so true that holding onto hatred hurts the hater more than the hatee, unless the hater is actually acting on that hatred through torture or something. I am glad Elias left again though. As much fun as it might be to see him get what's coming to him, I am of the mind that keeping your enemy out of your sight and mind is far healthier than exacting revenge. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I'm still not clear as to why Elias was so obsessed with Pete and only Pete.

If it had been Trevor, it would have made more sense to me. Elias probably knows that Hetty and Trevor are fooling around, so I can definitely see him being jealous about having his widow "move on" with another man. I can also see him being jealous that Trevor has an afterlife at Woodstone instead of in hell since Trevor's job could easily be misconstrued as being the 20th century version of a robber baron.

Why would Elias think Pete needs to go to hell other than to attempt to foul his pure soul?

Maybe because Pete is more trusting than Trevor? Also, Hetty & Elias marriage was for practical purposes and convenience only, as were upper class marriages of the time. Elias has no concern over what Hetty does, alive or dead!

• Like 6
16 hours ago, shura said:
20 hours ago, Skooma said:

That doesn’t sound right.  It would make Sam a stalker who keeps reading other people’s correspondence not intended for her, which might actually be illegal.  I hope the show didn’t write it this way.  On the other hand, it’s not clear exactly why Pete’s daughter would start sending her family newsletter to a woman she met only once, no matter how nice or respectful of her father Sam was.  Feels like a family newsletter should be for closer friends than that.

It would make WAY more sense if Carol and Laura had just added Sam on Facebook and she read their updates to Pete. 

• Like 8

I'm still not clear as to why Elias was so obsessed with Pete and only Pete.

Aside from Flower I'd say Pete is the most naive of the ghosts. But also, he is the only one who has living relatives he'd give up his soul for. Flower has a brother but she's so high I'm not sure she'd grasp the concept of trading her soul to save him. And Trevor has his parents and his brother but he's not quite as naive as Pete and might see through Elias's ruse. Pete's kind of the obvious target.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 3/10/2023 at 8:17 PM, Katy M said:

I would lay down my life, but not my soul.  Completely idiotic on Pete's part. 

I don't believe in souls, but if I did, there are some people for whom I would sacrifice my soul.  So I bought that completely.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 3/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, miasth said:

I did not enjoy this episode.  Some of it was so hammy that I thought we would find out that this was part of some wild dream of Hetty's. 

If Elias was truly sent to hell because he refused to change why would he be allowed back out of hell and given a get out of jail card if Hetty forgave him when he was not even truly sorry?  I wish Thor had thrown Elias in the vault.  Even hell seems like it is too good for him at this point.  Hmm, maybe hell wanted him gone and that is why they allowed him this escape clause.

I am not happy the ghosts did not warn Sam when Jay got high. I think my issue is there have been way too many episodes with them doing things that could hurt Sam.  It worked out at the end, but this could have gone horribly wrong.  

Now that song is stuck in my head after Trevor sang it at the end. Thanks no pants.

I completely agree - it was so frustrating to see them sabotage Jay just for entertainment, particularly Sass. I really thought after he knew what kind of sauce Jay was making that he was going help Jay recreate the dish with help from Sam. That would have been better than this and would have made Sass look like less of an asshole.

The whole plot with Hetty and Elias and Pete was so stupid it wasn't even funny to me. I guess we're just supposed to hand wave the idea of Elias getting out of Hell? I don't think so. And no way could Hetty just forgive him that quickly after hating him for literally centuries!  If the show wanted to bring him back, I would have preferred that Hell sent him back because the vault was a worse fate and he is only revisited occasionally. Pete looked completely stupid for selling his soul without even blinking an eye even though he didn't have the whole story or waiting to see if Little Pete was ok. All of it was irritating.

I was hoping we would see the fall out from Nancy and Nigel catching Hetty and Trevor, but I guess we have to wait.....

• Like 1

Aw I love messy Sass. His instigations have been the source of a lot of laughter for me. I know I'd like to think I'd be a better person in the afterlife, but let's be real. After 500 years of being a ghost, my petty level would be on exactly 500. You can only hear how awful Danes are so many times before you're looking for an outlet 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

What is the order of the ghosts from longest dead to most recent? Is there a list somewhere? Relating it to the episode of figuring out which ghosts would know what technology existed etc. 

Edited by tvfanatic13
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

What is the order of the ghosts from longest dead to most recent? Is there a list somewhere? Relating it to the episode of figuring out which ghosts would know what technology existed etc. 

From oldest ghost to newest, the order is as follows:

Thorfinn (Died sometime in the 1100s, I think it was)

Sasappis (Died in the 1500s - mid 1500s, if I recall rightly)

Isaac (Died in 1777)

Hetty (Died in the late 1800s)

Alberta (Died in the late 1920s)

Flower (Died in 1969)

Pete (Died in 1985)

Trevor (Died in 2000)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 4
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't believe in souls, but if I did, there are some people for whom I would sacrifice my soul.  So I bought that completely.

Well, not trying to be snarky, but if I didn't believe in souls, sure I'd give mine up in a heartbeat. Why would I care? 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, not trying to be snarky, but if I didn't believe in souls, sure I'd give mine up in a heartbeat. Why would I care? 

Because Elias actually has a Bridge in Brooklyn he's selling you for your soul/not-soul/bank account. 😉😈

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, I did say "if I believed".  Because yes, there are people who would be worth that sacrifice to me.

• Like 2

If Pete stopped to think about it or listen to the other ghosts, he of all people know there's life after death. Surely Little Pete would have gone to heaven, and Pete has a chance to go someday to spend eternity with his grandson. But there's no chance of heaven if he sold his soul. 

Yes, death of a child is tragic and Pete panicked in the moment and this is a tv show, but I'm invested in these characters and don't want them to make stupid mistakes they can never take back!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Pete also died tragically young, and has been stuck in a purgatory since for almost as long as he was alive. He’s been pretty clear about how painful it is to witness life without being able to participate, and how he grieves his own life being cut short. I can easily see him making the (grand)parent’s choice to spare his (grand)child that same pain. 

And let’s not forget, he’s also sparing his daughter the grief of burying her only child. He’s being a father. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

From oldest ghost to newest, the order is as follows:

Thorfinn (Died sometime in the 1100s, I think it was)

Sasappis (Died in the 1500s - mid 1500s, if I recall rightly)

Isaac (Died in 1777)

Hetty (Died in the late 1800s)

Alberta (Died in the late 1920s)

Flower (Died in 1969)

Pete (Died in 1985)

Trevor (Died in 2000)

There's also Stephanie, she died in 1987. Two years after Pete.

I'm curious to know when the cholera ghosts died. I'm guessing somewhere in the 1800s.

Isaac (Died in 1777)

Isaac is constantly name-checking Hamilton as an arch-rival, at least in his own mind, but Hamilton would only have been 22 years old in 1777. In fact Hamilton did not even arrive in Boston until October of 1777.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Isaac is constantly name-checking Hamilton as an arch-rival, at least in his own mind, but Hamilton would only have been 22 years old in 1777. In fact Hamilton did not even arrive in Boston until October of 1777.

Wikipedia has 22-year-old Hamilton active in the Revolution on January 3, 1777, which should be when our fictional Isaac was still alive, and before Hamilton was attached to his future wife:

Hamilton brought three cannons up and had them fire upon the building. Then some Americans rushed the front door, and broke it down. The British subsequently put a white flag outside one of the windows;[50] 194 British soldiers walked out of the building and laid down their arms, thus ending the battle in an American victory.[51]

So perhaps Isaac's military path crossed young Hamilton's, and Isaac had a secret crush on young Hamilton, and all Isaac’s put downs of Hamilton are just part of Isaac’s habit of closeting his real feelings? 
Also, dismissing the accomplishments of an unrequited love interest is a common reaction––albeit immature––regardless of sexual preferences.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Also, dismissing the accomplishments of an unrequited love interest is a common reaction––albeit immature––regardless of sexual preferences.

Our ghosts are quite immature so that tracks. I could easily see Isaac be both enamoured of, and jealous of a heroic young Hamilton and then being bitter when he finds out Hamilton is a legend while no one remembers poor old Isaac Higgintoot. We know you Isaac! Your legend lives on in the few but faithful. Hamiton can have his musical, you've got your own sitcom now! lol

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3