Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: #Happy

• Start Topic

Seemed like a Twilight Zone episode. Not as corny as the other episodes of Fantasy Island, though, so I was glad for the little bit of edginess.

I don't care for Ruby's prying, so I liked Elena requesting that they keep their relationship more professional. 

• Like 1

Are they implying that Isla is a dangerous monster/spirit? That's why Ruby's tattoo tingled, and the door needed to be padlocked shut? I don't know why things have to be sinister and scary now.

• Like 1

Eh, I was a little bored this week.  A disappointment after last week's episode.

The family story reminded me of old Fantasy Island - it wasn't unusual for those stories to take a dark turn.  But still, it was boring and predictable. 

12 minutes ago, Cress said:

Are they implying that Isla is a dangerous monster/spirit?

Isla is the smoke monster from Lost!  😁

Who's door was being locked shut?  Was that Isla's?  I thought no one other than Ruby had seen her?  So she has a room now?  On one hand, I'm confused.  On the other, I don't really care. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Well, the episode left us with a lot to think about. Around the time the mother started seeing her real family members in the mirror, I started thinking-what would happen if “the island” went off the rails (or rogue)? Kind of fits with Elana being miserable and Ruby’s tattoo acting up, because both of them are tied in some supernatural way to the island. Elana keeps claiming that the island does the work (as if she has no influence). I think we’re going to see the actual ability of the island to direct/plot fantasies, and the reason why a focused Elana (or Roarke) is needed to balance the experiences guests have. 
This was the first episode that wasn’t (#happy); it was just bland (7 already?). I think they will illuminate potential powers of the island and the powers the inhabitants discover they possess to balance it and end up on an even keel. 

7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Ditto. I don't want dark/scary in my mindless sweet fantasy show, either.

I really like Ruby and don't want evil, nasty things to happen to her.

It is a shame they can’t leave it the way it was originally intended-just a fantasy romp with guest stars. 

• Like 2

Elena: I did the right thing.
Me: No, you didn’t!
Elena: I did the right thing.
Me: No, you didn’t!

Repeat ad nauseam…

My fantasy: Helene decides to get a life somewhere else and Elena and Javier live happily ever after.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

It was a little weird to have Helene be the one to work things out with the B-plot guest; but she needs something to do, I guess?

As for the main story; yeah, pretty predictable, and darker than usual. And it's probably just me, but I didn't buy Melinda Clarke as the mother of two teens.

The Elena/Javier breakup is still silly, and I hope they fix that sooner rather than later.

The padlocked door was just a odd non-sequitur -- I guess the show is setting up something for later? I don't really need any multi-episode arcs from this show, honestly.

A shallow aside: I do enjoy the many different white outfits they find for Elena and Ruby.

• Like 4

This isn’t a #Happy episode…😥

The fantasy turns dark and threatening because Elena is sad and miserable??!

I wish Amber’s childhood traumas can be manifested thru other means than social media and could be unburdened in a less threatening way. Melinda Clarke’s charisma and on screen persona are kinda wasted in this storyline.

Helene doesn’t have the right personality to be a personable bartender.

Someone is involuntarily locked-up in room #12? Or could it be some kinda entity??! 😳

• Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 3:27 PM, Trini said:

A shallow aside: I do enjoy the many different white outfits they find for Elena and Ruby.

Their outfits are my favorite part of the show.

Aside from the Prom episode, where they put the two leads in the most horrible outfits (I'm talking about the modern day scenes, not the flashback ones), I've really liked the wardrobe choices on this show.  They let adult, mature women dress as adult mature women, not shoe horn everyone into spanx and tight fitting clothes.  They get the island casual vibe right most of the time.  I think Elena wears ridiculously high spiked heels for someone who is walking on gravel, stone or sand paths, as well as traipsing across lawns and driving a Jeep.  But I guess the island protects her from random heel twists and shoes getting caught in the grass. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2