Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They don't do it very often though. Like the woman last week with the aggressive form of breast cancer. Will we ever circle back to that? Probably not. Granted they want to tell different stories every week so if they kept revisiting the same ones over and over they wouldn't be able to do any new ones.

No, they don't but I hope they do in this case. 

• Like 3

I took home ec in high school.  All the girls and only girls took it.  It was just cooking and sewing, both of which I already knew how to do, so it was easy.  I did learn a few things. I think it would be great for all kids to take it and learn housekeeping and budgeting too.  So many kids are helpless.

• Like 6
Just now, Suzn said:

It was just cooking and sewing, both of which I already knew how to do, so it was easy.

I made a pink-flowered dashiki (yes, it was the 70s) and some rock hard peanut butter fudge.  I have greatly improved my cooking skills since then.  Not my sewing, though.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 4/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, DonnaMae said:

I wish they would continue with Sandy's story.  I hope an attorney is able to help her get a divorce, and I'd like to know how she was able to provide for her and her children.

And the sad reality of these situations is that the women cannot make it on their own.  Obviously she needs to be away from that horrible man.  But, while she will be safe, sleeping three to a single bed in a homeless shelter isn't much of a life, either.  They were only married a short while and the kids were not his so she's probably not going to get any support from him.  And, let's face it, a lot of judges then (and sadly now) believe women are subservient and should shut up and take whatever the man hands them including abuse.

I'd like to believe she did OK but, in the real world and without family, she could end up working the streets or going back to him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
39 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

But, while she will be safe, sleeping three to a single bed in a homeless shelter isn't much of a life, either.  They were only married a short while and the kids were not his so she's probably not going to get any support from him. 

I can't remember . . . did they say how she was surviving with two kids before she married him?

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I can't remember . . . did they say how she was surviving with two kids before she married him?

She was barely surviving, which was the entire reason she married him.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I made a pink-flowered dashiki (yes, it was the 70s) and some rock hard peanut butter fudge.  I have greatly improved my cooking skills since then.  Not my sewing, though.

My dad was the first guy to take home ec in Wisconsin; he graduated in 1948.  He punched out his gym teacher so he couldn't take phys ed and he still needed one credit.  The only class open was home economics.  Luckily his grandmother had already taught him how to cook and bake so it was pretty much a breeze for him.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 4/3/2023 at 4:45 PM, Daff said:

I keep going away, thinking about the dissatisfaction here surrounding the continued use of Vanessa Redgrave to narrate the opening. While I contend that Jenny’s journal sentiments provided the impetus for the show’s concept, I do believe that the writers continue this in an attempt to stay true to the source material. Sometimes her voice is stronger than at other times, but the very accomplished actress is 86 years old, and I try every episode to absorb the content of the narration.  I really don’t think the creators knew when they started, this would be as popular or long-lived as it has been, and I don’t think any stage directors are screaming “Get me VR, we have to have her!” (there was a time, I’m sure).  I really don’t think Jenny’s words, emotions, and revelations as expressed in her writings were unique to her, rather, they were (an ‘every woman’s’) realizations about life. What female actress wouldn’t want to sign up for that?  I listen to those sentiments with care, for both the actress and the author.

Would Phyllis or Miss Higgins (or those actresses), the writers, creators, or directors really want to tell Ms. Redgrave that her services are no longer needed? She has accomplished much in her lifetime and still wants to work. I respect that.

I also respect the opinions of others, expressed here, and harbor no ill will for expressing a different opinion. It’s just a sad reminder that as we age, our efforts to remain vital aren’t always appreciated.

i find her voice very relaxing and just love that they continue with her starting things off for the show.  it wouldn't be the same without her for me.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

So am I the only one to get a blue string soup and caper berry gravy flashback at Trixie’s dinner party since Cyril whipped up eggs benedict (instead of Mark Darcy’s omelets)? 

I have no idea what you're talking about. From another book or another show?

• Like 1

I remember Trixie trying to make broiled grapefruit for Christopher.  After she burned them, he tactfully suggested bread and jam instead.

Also, what Cyril made was actually Eggs Florentine.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, Mermaid Under said:

Colette being thrilled with her Mother's budget seemed unreal.  I can only suspend disbelief so far.  A child that age would want all the toys and clothes, and would want all of her mother's time and attention.  There are a lot of adults who don't understand the concept of making choices and saying no to some things for a long term goal.  Is Collette some sort of financial savant?

I don't think it's unusual for a child of a flighty parent to take on a parenting role. Temperamentally she might just be more serious minded/practical. Maybe not enough to take over the family finances, but enough to know that they're spending more than they should (especially if people at school are talking, and I can totally believe she's heard some comments about her mother being able to afford the fanciest clothes but not to take care of her own daughter.)

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, kassa said:

I don't think it's unusual for a child of a flighty parent to take on a parenting role. Temperamentally she might just be more serious minded/practical. Maybe not enough to take over the family finances, but enough to know that they're spending more than they should (especially if people at school are talking, and I can totally believe she's heard some comments about her mother being able to afford the fanciest clothes but not to take care of her own daughter.)

I think it may be more that Nancy kept talking about how they were going to get their own place, but Colette wasn't seeing a whole lot of proof that Nancy was actually doing anything to make that happen.  Now that she has that postal book,  Colette can see how her mother is doing.  Don't forget that Colette's teacher said she had a head for figures, so she may have already been figuring things out regarding Nancy's finances.

• Like 5

Call The Midwife dropped on Netflix today and I have devoted several hours to starting my binge of the most recent season. A few episodes in, I think the absence of Sister Hilda, Sister Francis, and Lucille are felt deeply. Add to that no sign of Violet or Timothy or Reggie for a couple of episodes. It's just feels like the cast has really thinned dramatically. I don't even remember seeing sister Julienne this episode. Has the show's budget been drastically slashed?

I am used to not being fond of new characters on Call The Midwife, but never have I had a visceral reaction like the one to Sister Veronica in her first couple of episodes. This episode was a bit of a redemption arc, but it is a shame that she needs one already. I have never noticed the missing scenes before, but the editing has just been choppy as all get out this season. I kept rewinding thinking I had missed something, and then read here and realized what was going on.

I love the old characters who remain. Phyllis has become my favorite character by far. Hoping Nancy will grow on me more. Superficially, Dr Turner may have found himself some Just For Men and sleep over the filming break. He looks younger and less haggard than he has for a couple of seasons now. Thank goodness. He was really starting to look like Sheelagh's dad. Trixie's dinner party was awfully cliched, but kind of sweet too. 

Edited by Merriwind
Talk to text makes me appear illiterate
  • Like 2
On 4/4/2023 at 2:19 PM, Suzn said:

I took home ec in high school.  All the girls and only girls took it.  It was just cooking and sewing, both of which I already knew how to do, so it was easy.  I did learn a few things. I think it would be great for all kids to take it and learn housekeeping and budgeting too.  So many kids are helpless.

Secondary School level Home Ec in Ireland (I took it in the 80s, I'm not sure if it's any different now) was broken into two parts, both aimed at teaching you how to be a Homemaker.

Scientific:
Cooking (you had to have a certain amount of hours in your cookery journal to be able to sit the exam recipes included ingredients & method, calories & cost per serving)
A basic working knowledge of how appliances work
The theory behind how to decorate and being able to defend use of colours/textures/layout
Social:
Essentially how to raise / manage a family.

Edited by fastiller
every ( should have a corresponding )
  • Like 1