Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Supernova, Part II

• Start Topic

Janeway was fantastic in this, great performance from Kate Mulgrew here.

Starfleet was awfully considerate to deal with the potential criminal charges and the Academy application at the same time. I know, it's a kids show but children need to learn about soul-crushing bureaucracy at some point in their lives.

I liked that there is a "forget the seats, we're in a hurry" version of a shuttle that you can build with the vehicle replicator.

Weird that the kids just plopped down on Earth instead of ending up at some distant Starbase. I guess they made it all the way because Starfleet is utterly wrecked by the Living Construct attack.

• Like 2

I was very happy with the finale. I mean it did wrap up everything for season 1 and opened up season 2 very well. We know they are going to go find Chakotay. However, when Janeway said: "I have something bigger in mind." I'm like: "What? Is it the Voyager-A?" I also like the fact that they flash forward a month to clean up things saying: "It was a set back for Starfleet, so they are going to try and move on." I did love the brief pieces of the Academy and Zero's new look is very nice. 

• Like 2

After a slow start, I have come to really enjoy Prodigy and look forward to what next season brings as they go to save Chakotay.  

Jumping through space time to save StarFleet, getting picked up after crashing next to the Golden Gate Bridge, and then be subjected to a trial seems straight out of Star Trek IV, but I'll take it. 

6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Janeway was fantastic in this, great performance from Kate Mulgrew here.

ITA. She was great. 

6 hours ago, readster said:

However, when Janeway said: "I have something bigger in mind." I'm like: "What? Is it the Voyager-A?"

I suppose we'll find out next season. 

I like Gwen and Dal as a young couple.

• Like 2

That was a good finale. And yeah, the kiss between Dal and Gwyn was surprisingly well handled.

Show's come a long from a somewhat rocky start. And the setup for season 2 looks promising! With Janeway as an authoritative figure around the show's greatest weakness (IMO) will be mitigated: Captain Dal. He matured especially over the second half of the season but I'm still glad someone else is calling the shots. 

Losing Gwyn hurt a bit but I don't think it will last for long.

And wow, that beauty shot at the end!

• Like 4

I still think that Starfleet were unduly harsh in accusing the kids of stealing the ship. 

Technically they found it, used it to escape a dangerous situation, and were trying to return it to its owner. 

Am looking forward to seeing where they go next season. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I still think that Starfleet were unduly harsh in accusing the kids of stealing the ship. 

Technically they found it, used it to escape a dangerous situation, and were trying to return it to its owner. 

And all that stuff needed to be formally established on the record.

I mean look at it from Star Fleet's perspective.

The Protstar, a top-secret prototype, went missing for years, it's crew vanished.

It returns with a crew of unknown aliens (who are teens/children, but still) and causes the destruction of a Federation outpost.

It's new crew repeatedly refuses all attempts at communication and eventually a weapon aboard it causes the destruction of quite a lot of vessels on a scale not seen since the Dominion War.  As well as probably quite a lot of deaths of Star Fleet personal.

It's completely understandable that Star Fleet wants both answers and someone to be held accountable.

Fortunately for the kids, Janeway was in their corner as a respected vice-Admiral and Star Fleet is generally a decent, fair-minded organization, so the kids are on record as being cleared and now they get to start their new Federation/Star Fleet futures.

• Like 1
On 12/30/2022 at 12:14 AM, MissLucas said:

That was a good finale. And yeah, the kiss between Dal and Gwyn was surprisingly well handled.

Show's come a long from a somewhat rocky start. And the setup for season 2 looks promising! With Janeway as an authoritative figure around the show's greatest weakness (IMO) will be mitigated: Captain Dal. He matured especially over the second half of the season but I'm still glad someone else is calling the shots. 

Losing Gwyn hurt a bit but I don't think it will last for long.

And wow, that beauty shot at the end!

Very good finale, it is what Voyager's "Endgame" should have been, wrapping up the entire first 20 episodes with callbacks to the first episode, an epilogue and the touching sacrifice of holo-Janeway (a great character in her own right) and also the emotional goodbye of Gwyn.

I suppose we will check in on Gwyn's storyline in Season 2 though, much like we saw glimpses of Vice-admiral Janeway in season 1B.

20 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

The accusation may have been partially about the Denaxi Depot, where the kids could have returned the ship but failed to because they panicked, or alternatively that part was specifically for Gwyn (who did attempt to claim the ship for the Diviner, back in episode 4) much like the accusation about "inhabiting the mind of an esteemed Admiral" was specifically for Dal and not for the others.

Given that Gwyn had already talked with Janeway/Starfleet before the latter came to deliver the verdict, and yet she didn't say anything to the others, it's possible she already knew the gist of what Janeway would say (she could hardly go to Solum if she was convicted and put into some kind of youth correction program or something like that) and that the verdict was conditionnel on Gwyn cooperating and Janeway taking the others under her wing.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, johntfs said:

The Protostar, a top-secret prototype, went missing for years, it's crew vanished.

Do we know how long the Protostar was missing from Starfleet's perspective (that is, when exactly it went missing)? The show is set around 2383/2384. Chakotay likely would've first gone through lengthy debriefings and pardoning for his Maquis actions after Voyager's return, so I imagine it would've taken some time before he'd be promoted to captain and then given a prototype vessel. Not to mention the time needed for Starfleet to develop the major engineering advances necessary to create both the Protostar and Dauntless starship classes with their protodrives and transwarp drives, respectively. Chakotay & Janeway both looked several years older in her holo-reenactment of her last encounter with him. So, I imagine the ship had been missing probably more on the scale of months to a year or two at most. (Not that it changes your point, more just general wondering about piecing together all the timey-whimey business!)

• Like 1

Star Trek animation is hitting all the nails, while live action suffers. 
This was a very good ending. The opening scene of the carnage was surprising but well done. 
Finally Gwen gets to shine.  Only to leave in the end.

The thing is won’t she or Starfleet  create some butterfly effect as she finds her home world. Or some other time traveling whammy?  Or a loop effect? 
So the crew becomes warrant officers while training? Do they even ever get a chance to join the academy? Ironically this reminds me of 7 and that she gets to command her own ship soon, while never attending the academy. 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:15 PM, rtms77 said:

Star Trek animation is hitting all the nails, while live action suffers. 
This was a very good ending. The opening scene of the carnage was surprising but well done. 
Finally Gwen gets to shine.  Only to leave in the end.

The thing is won’t she or Starfleet  create some butterfly effect as she finds her home world. Or some other time traveling whammy?  Or a loop effect? 
So the crew becomes warrant officers while training? Do they even ever get a chance to join the academy? Ironically this reminds me of 7 and that she gets to command her own ship soon, while never attending the academy. 

I think it is possible they enter the academy at the end of the show.

It seems that this show is going to actually confront the racism given to the genetically enhanced, which is pretty incredible. I wonder what happens?

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1

I was happy to see that the show acknowledged that not everyone in starfleet starts out as an ensign (I'm looking at you Lower Decks).  I always thought that starfleet had as many ranks as our current military despite Lower Decks insisting that the lower ranks were all ensigns.