Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

I've always been ok on the weight side - usually underweight actually.  I always put it down to genetics because neither of my parents ever had a weight problem and none of my siblings did.  The siblings were always like me - tall and thin.  As we've gotten older, we've gotten more careful about what we eat and the only one of us to actually diet didn't do it until he was probably in his late 40s.

But of us kids, I am the only one who has an eating cycle consistent with the 16/8 plan and I am the leanest but do the least intense exercise (I walk a lot).  So maybe?

So I had a fun few hours of deep body-related self loathing last night. That was fun. But I still made it to the gym for a training session (early even!). She took it pretty easy on me today aside from the battle ropes... which are horrible. It's the first time I've done any exercise since Pure Barre January 10th. I'm seeing her again on Thursday but after that I'm going to try to get better at going on my own. It's not a very crowded gym but I'm still weird around people when I'm feeling vulnerable about my body and my awkward flailing. It doesn't help that the bro-y guys tend to congregate around the weights and machines but I figure I can grab some weights and then run off to an empty room. Baby steps. 

• Love 2
On 1/31/2017 at 5:30 PM, aradia22 said:

It doesn't help that the bro-y guys tend to congregate around the weights and machines but I figure I can grab some weights and then run off to an empty room. Baby steps. 

They seem to have their own thing going in my gym and don't seem to pay attention to anybody but themselves and the ones like them.  But grabbing weights and taking them to a place where you can do your thing sounds like a good plan to me.  

I had a nice moment yesterday when a woman from the accounting department stopped me and asked me what I did, meaning how did I lose weight. It's always cool to have that conversation, because I get to tell people that the key for me was that I got really mad and that made me deadly serious this time. She pointed out that I've kept the weight off, and I realized that the big reason was because I didn't just loose 30 pounds and say, "Well, everything fits now. That's good enough."  I lost it down to the point where I was done. And now that I hit that point, I'm going to do everything I can to stay here.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I had a nice moment yesterday when a woman from the accounting department stopped me and asked me what I did, meaning how did I lose weight. It's always cool to have that conversation, because I get to tell people that the key for me was that I got really mad and that made me deadly serious this time. She pointed out that I've kept the weight off, and I realized that the big reason was because I didn't just loose 30 pounds and say, "Well, everything fits now. That's good enough."  I lost it down to the point where I was done. And now that I hit that point, I'm going to do everything I can to stay here.

Funny, I've had similar conversations and my response has been, "I don't want to sound like a smartass, but I ate less." Then I explain about my hypertension and cutting portion sizes. You get into good habits with food and activity levels and it's fairly simple to keep the weight off. Not easy, but simple. I hit my goal weight 8 months ago and so far, so good.

• Love 4

I think that the key to the long term success is adapting the techniques that keep the weight off - that is probably the hardest thing for most people to do.

I don't understand the celebrity who endorse weight loss programs - the Marie Osmonds & Dan Marino's of the world.  Are they perpetually staying on the program to maintain the weight loss?  Because they've been plugging the program for years!

• Love 3

Well, I managed to lose three pounds this week, but only because I have a cold and I can't taste anything.  My stomach growls, but nothing appeals to me, so I've mainly been eating oranges, chicken noodle soup, and crackers.  I am going to fix a piece of chicken and have some kind of veggie tonight, even if it's just a little bit.  I know I would feel better sooner if I ate some real calories.  

• Love 1

I don't understand the celebrity who endorse weight loss programs - the Marie Osmonds & Dan Marino's of the world.  Are they perpetually staying on the program to maintain the weight loss?  Because they've been plugging the program for years!

I think they have to because all the celebrities I can think of who went off the programs (Kirstie Alley, Opra Winfrey, Valerie Bertinelli) gained the weight back.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I think they have to because all the celebrities I can think of who went off the programs (Kirstie Alley, Opra Winfrey, Valerie Bertinelli) gained the weight back.

That's a good point.  I think Kristie Alley has been maintaining of late. And I think Oprah's 2017 commercials for Weigh Watchers have her saying she lost thirty pounds, which good for her.  I should send her some before and after photos of me. Maybe I can be in a commercial. Heh.

Ha! I'm going with "I ate pizza EVERY WEEK!"  

Which, totally true. 

When I was in college, we had a weekly house meeting for the fraternity. Early my sophomore year a senior got up and complained that we only ordered whole milk and 2% milk, and that we should also order some skim milk. It was no big deal to change the order. When he was done, one of the juniors boomed out from the side of the room, "PUSH YOURSELF AWAY FROM THE TABLE FAT BOY!" Much to the amusement of everyone, because what room full of 20 year-old young men wouldn't think that was hilarious.

The thing is, now that I practice sound portion control, that booming voice is now my willpower talking to me.  

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

So I'm doing OK with the PT once a week but I am having trouble getting to the gym on my own. Long story short, I self-sabotage by staying up late the night before either intentionally or because I get anxious and freak myself out about it so I oversleep. But I did replace it with an at-home session today which I like to call unmotivated flailing but still... it's some physical activity. 

• Love 1

Has anyone used prescription meds for weight loss?  My cardiologist recommended I use Invokana (along with a weekly shot) to battle the bulge.  I've been loathe to use meds (I've tried eating clean - no fast food and supplements) but it never seems to work long term.  Worse still when I asked him how long I'd have to take it, he said, "Life".  I do NOT like the idea of being dependent on this.  He said if I stop taking it, my appitite will return in spades and weight gain will be the eventual result.  I admit I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to work.   I spoke to one of the med assistants at the office who has been using this drug for over a year. (whom he brought into the exam room with him to discuss the options) .  It seems to have worked for her and she says she hasn't had any side effects other than ccasional nausea (which according to her, comes on whe one eats too much in a meal).  The drug also makes you pee more - to flush the sugar out of your urine and encourage the body to use fat for energy.

Does anyone here have any experience with the drug (or knows someone who does) and their thoughts on this?

To my knowledge, Invokana, is used to reduce blood sugar levels.  Are you trying to achieve that as well? It can be quite risky (is associated with various health risks like Ketoacidosis) and you have to be very diligent when taking it, check your urine often with ketone sticks, check blood sugar often, etc.. My understanding is that it reduces your blood sugar levels and that's what helps you lose weight.  I would think that in a normal person, your blood sugars would go way too low.  I'd think a lot about it and discuss with your doctor to make sure you know the risks and that it's right for you.  I'd consult with an Endocrinologist about it. 

Is anyone around here still trying to lose weight? I recently started with a new eating plan. I hesitate to call it a diet, because it's the way I want to eat permanently.  It's not something that I'm going to stop doing after I lose the pounds.  I'm eating lots of veggies and some fresh fruits, with healthy grains and lean protein.  It's a combo of WW point counting, though mainly calorie counting.  I've lost 13 pounds in about a month, so, I'm pretty happy. 

I do have a few things that I'd like to discuss with others who might be going through this or have gone through it before.

On 2/4/2017 at 0:52 PM, DeLurker said:

I think that the key to the long term success is adapting the techniques that keep the weight off - that is probably the hardest thing for most people to do.

I wonder about celebs who are the spokespersons too.  I've heard that the company physically inspects the person and weighs them at regular intervals to confirm that they are maintaining their weight as advertised.  If you gain too much, you get cut, I guess.  I would imagine that having that pressure would be good incentive to keep the weight down.  Plus, you have that contract money at risk.  I would imagine that Marie gets a sweet deal with NutriSystem.  At least 7 figures a year, plus all the food she can eat, right? lol 

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone around here still trying to lose weight? I recently started with a new eating plan. I hesitate to call it a diet, because it's the way I want to eat permanently.  It's not something that I'm going to stop doing after I lose the pounds.  I'm eating lots of veggies and some fresh fruits, with healthy grains and lean protein.  It's a combo of WW point counting, though mainly calorie counting.  I've lost 13 pounds in about a month, so, I'm pretty happy. 

That's great news. 

That's exactly what I did. I finished at the end of August. The combination of actually getting all the way down to fit and changing the food I eat as you described has made keeping it off relatively straightforward. 

It was really important that I didn't stop dieting when I still had 20 pounds to go. This is a different feeling. A feeling like I have no more dieting to do, and I'm never going back to the way I was before. 

And it was equally important that I didn't do it with special meals or shakes, but rather by just learning how to eat food I like correctly. 

• Love 2

I agree about being able to make smart choices.  I want to live like a normal person and know that anything that I want to eat is possible.  It's just that the special things, treats, etc, will need to fit into my life with moderation.  I had to face it that a normal adult woman shouldn't be eating cookies everyday.  lol No offense to those who eat cookies everyday, but, it just wasn't working for me, as it and other snack food caused me to gain weight.  Now, I try to look at the food to see what it's going to do for me.  If it doesn't have much nutritional value, I have to decide if I really want it.  

I will treat myself more down the road, but for now, I feel that it may be smarter to stay focused and let the treats come months down the road.  What do you think about that?  I've only eaten one thing that was a non-nutritious treat since I started the plan and it didn't taste good. (A glazed doughnut. 190 calories)  I regretted eating it, because it didn't taste good.  Maybe, it was mental.  I think that WW takes a different approach and allows any food right from the beginning right, as long as you count your points.

15 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It does. Portions become important to understand. I literally ate pizza once a week, still do. 

Really?  How do you plan and fit it in? Did you have regular pizza or the WW brand frozen pizza.  I tried it ages ago and wasn't that fond of it.   Is it always on the same day or do you just play it by ear? And you did this from the day you started with the plan?  I'm not a big pizza fan, but, I think there might be something else I may want to have as a treat.  I think I might stay away from the sugary treats though and go more with a savory one.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 3/13/2017 at 9:16 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Congratulations on the weight loss!  I think that number is a reflection that you are making a significant difference in your eating habits and lifestyle.

I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight, but eat better overall, still enjoy it and make consistently better decisions to provide my body with better fuel.  I started drinking a homemade green drink a couple of years ago - baby kale, baby spinach, baby Swiss chard, a couple of oranges and a some fresh ginger in the NutriBullet.  It is kind of ugly, took a couple days to get used to taste-wise, but damn if I did not get addicted to it.  It took a few minutes to throw together each day but my body started to crave it even before I started to actually like it. 

I cut way back on salt years ago.  It is to the point where if I eat out, food often tastes overly salty to me and I will be parched later.  I try to make meals at home as much as possible and forced myself to find different herbs or seasonings that don't necessarily add more salt or preservatives to my diet.

For most of my friends, when they made the conscious decision to stop drinking soda, even diet, and drink more water it made a difference to them.

I think figuring out what works for you in terms of indulgences is key.  My brother established a rule where he could only have ice cream, his weakness, on weekends and any day when on vacation.  His wife is fine having a bit of chocolate every evening for her treat.  It probably isn't much more than how much you would get in a Ghiradelli square or two per night. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Really?  How do you plan and fit it in? Did you have regular pizza or the WW brand frozen pizza.

Really, and sometimes it was regular pizza place pizza and sometimes it was homemade.  

I had 30+ points to work with each day as I made my way down to somewhere in the "normal" range of 142-170 pounds for a man my age and height.  I'd use up 3 points at breakfast for the half and half in my coffee and some fruit. Another 9 points at lunch time for a decent sandwich such as Turkey or Roast Beef on Rye with a little mayonnaise and a pickle. Dinner would then have no problem with a green salad with a light dressing (3 points) and a nice big slice of pizza (9 points.) That adds up to 24, which let me throw down a stiff drink and maybe a couple pretzels and still come in under the total for that day.  Made sure to have plenty of fruit on hand for snacks and that's that.

Living like a skinny person. One slice of pizza. No chips with my sandwich. No sugary breakfast pastries. No bagels (so sad), no beer (even sadder.)

At this point with 36 points being the maintenance amount recommended, I've been known to add in a second slice of pizza some days, but only if I've gone easy all day. I don't count the points any more.  I just understand what the day's food should be and that's that.

• Love 1

Thanks all for the great tips.  

I'm considering what types of things that I might want to spend the point and/or calories on.  I'll have to give it more thought. 

Honestly, it's hard to beat some of my meals.  I mean, my one egg with an extra egg white omelette, with veggies and mushrooms is so good!  I can't imagine a better breakfast, time permitting.  And my broiled cauliflower and broccoli....omg. Just delicious. 

Yesterday, was my first day without Diet Coke. I normally have one per day, but, just switched to some flavored water and didn't miss it.  Of course, the flavored water has its own issues, but, most things are a tradeoff. 

I'm intrigued by the veggie smoothies. I love spinach, kale, etc, however, those types of greens really do a number on my digestion.  It really stops me up.  I know that's contrary to most people, but, they do that to me. Not sure if a blended version would or not.  I'm eating lots of fiber, even whole wheat with double fiber to help, but, when I eat leafy greens, lettuce, I get the same outcome.  I include no cheese in my diet now. Just to rule that out as a culprit. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Howdy Shannon L.

See a doctor to rule out any medical problems, but I have autoimmune thyroid disease (aka glandular problems), and the law of thermodynamics still applies to me: If I eat fewer calories than I burn, I lose weight.

It's human nature to underestimate your food & overestimate your burns. If you're not logging everything you eat and drink accurately & honestly, then you really have no idea how many calories you're eating.

I use http://weightlossvenus.com. Feel free to friend me—my username is the same both places. That goes for anyone who's trying to lose weight. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

• Love 1

Hey, I have some autoimmune issues too, thyroid, Type I diabetes, allergies and some occasional skin issues. I met with a Nutritionist last week and she reviewed my log.  She said great, but, I need more calories.  She said at least 1200 per day and that's the same that my endo said a couple of months ago.  I've been struggling to ensure that I"m getting that many.  My loss has been slow, but, they both think it's just about right.  I'm now 20 pounds. 

I'm still not clear why I need 1200 per day.  Oh well.....maybe, I should just take their advice.  

• Love 1
On 5/1/2017 at 2:25 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

My loss has been slow, but, they both think it's just about right.

It doesn't sound slow to me. You're doing great.

I've been working at the gym almost every day now trying to add some muscle to my upper body. As part of that, I've allowed myself to have a little more food than what I think WW says is right for maintenance. I've definitely gained a few pounds of muscle, but yesterday for the first time in months, it felt like my pants were a little snug.

That is completely unacceptable.

Probably going back to my eating habits from when I was losing weight for the next couple weeks, especially since three weeks from now I'll be traveling for work and then spending the weekend when I come back boozing it up with my college buddies. There will be many calories available to be consumed that week, so I better hit it in good shape if I want to have any fun.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It doesn't sound slow to me. You're doing great.

I've been working at the gym almost every day now trying to add some muscle to my upper body. As part of that, I've allowed myself to have a little more food than what I think WW says is right for maintenance. I've definitely gained a few pounds of muscle, but yesterday for the first time in months, it felt like my pants were a little snug.

That is completely unacceptable.

Probably going back to my eating habits from when I was losing weight for the next couple weeks, especially since three weeks from now I'll be traveling for work and then spending the weekend when I come back boozing it up with my college buddies. There will be many calories available to be consumed that week, so I better hit it in good shape if I want to have any fun.

Are you counting points or calories?  

I was very relieved to see that this morning I had lost 2 more pounds.  I was shocked.  I've started just weighing once a week.  That seems to work best for me, rather than daily.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are you counting points or calories?

No. I got such a good sense of what everything counts that I just sort of know.  I still eat the same 12-15 points from breakfast until dinner that I did losing weight. It's got plenty of variety in how I get there each day, so I'm not bored with it.  I know what I'm eating for dinner. To maintain I should be at 36 points. So I probably was hovering around 40 points per day the last couple of weeks if I add up all of the little extras I allowed myself to eat.  I know exactly what I can cut out to get back down to like 30 for a couple weeks to drop the extra 4 pounds that seemed to have settled around my waist.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in I think three weeks, which is where I get that 4 pounds number. 

15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've started just weighing once a week.  That seems to work best for me, rather than daily.  

I used to weigh myself every day because I was okay with the fact that sometimes it didn't move and may even be up a pound, but when it went down I found it incredibly satisfying. It was also motivating either way; if it moved down I was motivated to keep going because it was working, and if it didn't move I was motivated to have another good day knowing that it will move down again as long as I kept up what I was doing.

It's amazing how much of the process was about "feelings" and not about logic.

I'm still hanging in there.  My loss is slow, but, I intend to keep ensuring that my calories are right and it will come down.  I just need to add the exercise.  I'm now down by 25 pounds!  I'm down in clothes size and I sure have much more energy.  I really do feel so much better.  It's mental and physical, I think.  I've been waiting for this milestone of 25 pounds.  NOW, my next goal is 10 more pounds.  I'm going to divide it up like that. 

• Love 2

Awesome! If you have an end goal, the goal where you are truly done and have no more weight to lose, don't let yourself settle for anything less. 

If checking off the path to that goal in 10 pound increments adds to your level of satisfaction and motivation, that's great. I personally liked the way I got little 5 pound banners on my tracker.

• Love 1
(edited)

Five pound increments might be better, but, I'll have to think about it.  At this rate, I won't be in bikini shape by summer, but, definitely shorts shape. 

I'm trying to keep my mind in the right place.  This time when I focused on my food, it seemed different than it ever has before in my life.  I've been slim to average most of my life, but, usually had to diet to get control of my weight.  I'm done with that. No more dieting.  I refuse.  It's nice to have the freedom to eat good healthy food, without so much stress.  I'm not sure why it was different this time. I just hope that it lasts. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I'm trying an experiment this weekend.  I'm off today and Monday is a holiday, so that gives me a four day weekend.  Other than one or two small errands, I plan to stay home (and clean house and do some yard work).  The experiment is to see if I can stick to my healthy eating while I'm at home.  I usually do okay during the week, but it's the weekends that are tempting (I get the urge to get takeout or bake something high calorie).  I figure if I can eat healthy during the long weekend, I'll prove to myself that I can actually do this.  I've already had to talk myself out of putting a chuck roast in the slow cooker for a pot roast (I'm going to put the meat in the freezer for a later date) and going to the store for ingredients to make a peach cobbler (I've been craving one for some reason).  I'm hoping that by posting my goal for the weekend here it'll help me to stick to it.  I would love to come back on Monday night (or Tuesday morning) to report that I did well.  

• Love 1
On 5/26/2017 at 11:45 AM, BooksRule said:

I'm trying an experiment this weekend.  I'm off today and Monday is a holiday, so that gives me a four day weekend.  Other than one or two small errands, I plan to stay home (and clean house and do some yard work).  The experiment is to see if I can stick to my healthy eating while I'm at home.  I usually do okay during the week, but it's the weekends that are tempting (I get the urge to get takeout or bake something high calorie).  I figure if I can eat healthy during the long weekend, I'll prove to myself that I can actually do this.  I've already had to talk myself out of putting a chuck roast in the slow cooker for a pot roast (I'm going to put the meat in the freezer for a later date) and going to the store for ingredients to make a peach cobbler (I've been craving one for some reason).  I'm hoping that by posting my goal for the weekend here it'll help me to stick to it.  I would love to come back on Monday night (or Tuesday morning) to report that I did well.  

I hope it turns out well for you.  I think that my challenges are managing my evening snacks.  I have the healthy stuff on hand and that's what I go for, but, I have to focus on my portion sizes.  I might want a yogurt, some popcorn and a string cheese. lol  Meals are actually my strong suit.  I really do like the meals I prepare, so I don't feel deprived at meal time at all.  I'm glad that I feel more motivated to cook, nutritious stuff, rather than other stuff.  Plus, eating right during the day hours seems to come easy for me. It's the evenings that trigger my want to snack. 

I think it must be hard for some people who really have cravings  My mom seems to struggle with it.  She tries to lose weight too, but, she seems to always be cooking corn bread, deserts, fried chicken, etc.  lol  She says that she just can't help herself.  But, as a senior, I think she should just eat what she wants.  I say to have the treats you want, as long as they're in moderation.  

Tomorrow, I'm going out with some friends and family for lunch.  We're not going to cook out, due to bad weather forecast, but, I'm going to eat the meal I want.  Likely, it'll be a cooked sushi roll.  I'm going to enjoy it and then resume my plan on Tuesday.  I think a treat at least once a week is something that works for me. 

Brooksrule, let us know how things work out for you. 

• Love 1

So far , so good on the 'long weekend healthy eating experiment'.  I've stayed within my calorie range (actually a little on the low end of the range) and I've done some spring cleaning and some yard work.  We've had rain showers today, but I've gone out between showers to pull some weeds in the front yard flower bed.  It's not too hot, but because of the showers, it's steamy outside.  I've just got to keep busy, and I should be okay.  The only times during the day when I've been idle is when I'm resting from cleaning out a closet or when I come in from the yard.  Then, I'm sitting for a few minutes cooling off and drinking some water, so I'm not eating junk.  I'm not going to get everything done that I had hoped to get done (mainly finishing the spring cleaning that I started and abandoned in April), but I should be able to make a dent.

• Love 1

BrooksRule, it sounds like you are doing great!  All that activity is really burning up calories. Plus, you are getting a lot done.   The only calories that I've burned was when I went shopping! lol  I did shop quite a bit.  Just looking for sales mostly.  

I did find a tasty rather low calorie sauce, even though, I don't normally use sauces.   It's Sun-dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce by Classico.  It's only 45 calories for 1/4 cup.  It's super delicious over a little whole wheat pasta for not many calories.  That with a little ground turkey breast and green beans makes a great meal, imo.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess my experiment worked.  I didn't go beyond my calorie range and I did a lot of physical labor (worked in the yard and did some housework).  It helped that the weather didn't turn out as bad as predicted (although I hear thunder right now, so maybe it was just delayed), so I was able to get out into the yard.  If I had been rained in and had to stay in the house, I might have found something caloric to cook.  I'm not going to weigh yet.  I try to only weigh once a week and I won't be due until Friday. 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

Resisted temptation again today.  We had an orientation for new students on campus and coffee and doughnuts were served.  I managed to stay away from the doughnuts (I just got coffee and a box of raisins).  It would have been tougher if they had been Krispy Kreme, but they weren't. :) 

• Love 2

First day back in the gym after a mental health setback around early March. Felt good. 10 minutes late but I tacked on another 30 minutes on the treadmill. Cardio is tough but otherwise, not as noodly as I assumed I'd be. I'm trying to not rush things. I've still got some Pilates classes to take in the next 2 months and then eventually I need to go back to barre. Subscriptions. But for now, I'm just happy to be active again and enjoying it.

Also, I did that weird thing where I go into a store and test myself. Long story short, I did not buy a cookie. 

• Love 1

Also, I did that weird thing where I go into a store and test myself. Long story short, I did not buy a cookie. 

I may have just done something similar at Walgreen's.  On my way to the pharmacy in the back, I purposely went down the candy aisle, stopping and looking at some of my favorites (Sour Patch Kids, Bridge Mix, peppermint patties, etc.), but I managed to get out of the store without anything other than my prescription (and I was hungry, too!).  

I haven't logged my food today, but I know I'm well under my limit.  I'm thinking about making some pan fried squash, but not the kind dipped in batter and fried, but some just browned up in a little bit of oil.  I roasted some in the oven last night--they were pretty tasty, but they don't get crispy.  I was going to have some baked chicken, but forgot to take some out of the freezer at lunch.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe it, but, I did the same thing on Tuesday of this week! I was waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy, and  browsed all through the food isles.  I wanted to find a good dark chocolate that I could have just a small 1 inch square as a treat. I've heard this is good.  Well, I couldn't find any that I thought were low enough in calories.  Plus, the fat content was high.  No thanks.  I also checked out the energy bars, diet drinks and snacks, etc.  I didn't find anything that I thought was good for me.  I only got my eye drops and a bottle of water.  And it wasn't hard at all. Hmmm......

I weighed today and now I'm down by 26 POUNDS!  Slow, but, steady. That's my motto.  

Can you coat the squash in panko crumbs and then pan fry in olive oil?  I've never used them, but, see them used a lot on tv.  I LOVE squash any way they are prepared.  It's one of my very favorite dishes. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can you coat the squash in panko crumbs and then pan fry in olive oil?

I think the squash would probably needed to be coated in an egg wash first for the crumbs to stick.  My SIL is a vegetarian and makes some using an egg wash & seasoned crumb coat.  She sprays a cookie sheet with an olive oil spray, puts them on it and gives another quick spray to the top.  She bakes them in a hot oven (maybe 400*) and flips them half-way through the bake so both sides get a better texture.  Not sure how long she bakes them for, but I imagine there are recipes you could google.

And congratulations on the weight loss!

• Love 1

The baking method sounds awesome.  I may try that.  I cook most all of my broccoli and cauliflower by baking in the oven at high temperature, with an olive oil drizzle, garlic powder and black pepper.  I've eaten a lot of it since Feb. though.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can't believe it, but, I did the same thing on Tuesday of this week! I was waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy, and  browsed all through the food isles.  I wanted to find a good dark chocolate that I could have just a small 1 inch square as a treat. I've heard this is good.  Well, I couldn't find any that I thought were low enough in calories.  Plus, the fat content was high.  No thanks.  I also checked out the energy bars, diet drinks and snacks, etc.  I didn't find anything that I thought was good for me.  I only got my eye drops and a bottle of water.  And it wasn't hard at all. Hmmm......

I weighed today and now I'm down by 26 POUNDS!  Slow, but, steady. That's my motto.  

Can you coat the squash in panko crumbs and then pan fry in olive oil?  I've never used them, but, see them used a lot on tv.  I LOVE squash any way they are prepared.  It's one of my very favorite dishes. 

I had to post when I read yours. I also lost 26 pounds and my favorite vegetable is squash too. Butternut specifically. What a coincidence!

It's taken two years for me but as you say slow but steady. I cut out white sugar and red meat, no more chocolate or high fat cookies. Walking is my exercise of choice. I still eat the same but in moderation. I really believe that if you lose it slowly it is easier to keep off. 

Congrats to you. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, rcc said:

I still eat the same but in moderation. I really believe that if you lose it slowly it is easier to keep off. 

That's because if you lose it slowly, you develop good lifetime habits. I reached my goal weight a year ago and have maintained that weight. I tell people, once you develop the good habits, it is not easy to keep the weight off, but it is simple.

• Love 5
(edited)

I ended up dipping the squash slices into some milk to moisten and then into a light dusting of cornmeal before I fried them in just a little oil.  I didn't think about panko and I think I have some in the back of the fridge.  

I lost 4 1/2 pounds this week (I don't expect that loss every week--I would be happy with two or two and a half).  Today I'm allowing myself a cheat meal (dinner).  I plan to have two home-cooked hamburgers, a few oven-baked steak fries and the piece of cake that I brought home from Monday's going-away reception for a co-worker and put in the freezer (I purposely brought a container so I could bring a piece home instead of eating it there).  I also just managed to get in and out of Wal Mart without buying anything I shouldn't have bought.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 3

Any tips on encouraging one's spouse to lose weight?  I've tried to make healthier meals, but my husband doesn't seem to like the food I'm making and will then go out to buy snacks (always unhealthy snacks).  I've even tried to hide things, to no avail... Thanks!

How about doing more exercise together?  Walking, riding bikes, hiking...or taking up a new activity together?  I recently saw a program discussing paddleboarding. Not strenuous per se, but it is all about the core. I'll be visiting family soon and my nephew has one so I'll be giving it a go.  I expect my ineptitude will amuse him immensely, but he'll be encouraging at the same time.

Schedule a doctor appointment for him.  When you book it, tell them you are concerned about his weight & eating habits so want sound medical advise about how to best maintain his overall health given his current condition, lifestyle and past/family history.

Tell him you need to make sure he's making informed decisions about a matter that impacts you both.

If he refuses, up his life insurance coverage and make sure it stays in place.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Any tips on encouraging one's spouse to lose weight?  I've tried to make healthier meals, but my husband doesn't seem to like the food I'm making and will then go out to buy snacks (always unhealthy snacks).  I've even tried to hide things, to no avail... Thanks!

I'm not sure how old your husband is, but, weight is a touchy issue.  Sometimes, people get their feelings hurt and then dig their heels in.  It's unfortunate that husband doesn't realize what a loving thing it is for you to prepare him nutritious meals.   

First, I would say that unless someone gets their head in the right place, change is rare.  For me, I had to get my mind set and in the right place. Once that happened. I was ready.

Do you know if he likes things like chicken, veggies, whole grains, fruits?  I'm not sure what to do if you don't like that food.  I have always liked that food, so, it wasn't a struggle. I just had to watch portion size and limit my treats.   Sometimes meeting with a Nutritionist can be helpful.  They can provide suggestions and maybe some meal plan suggestions.  Are the meals you prepare tasty or just good for you?  I might ask husband if he likes the taste and if not work on using some herbs, spices, etc.  I'd try to find dishes that he enjoys, if possible.  There are lots of recipes on line for some very tasty, low to moderate calorie meals.

Sometimes, it comes down to people not realizing how many calories they need and how many they are consuming.  An education on that can be an eye opener.  Also, I don't think a lot of people actually think about the food they are consuming.  (fat, carbs, calories, chemicals, etc.)  It might help if he learned what foods are not really your friend.  

Does he need to lose a few pounds or a lot?  A visit to a doctor is always good to make sure you're healthy and ready to lose weight. He could figure out how many calories he needs a day.  Some people do well in support meetings like Weight Watchers.  Others can do it on line or just with family support. 

Oh, I do have another tip.  One day I was in the grocery store buying some ground turkey.  The meat dept guy was putting more out and asked if I liked it. I said yes and he told me that he had started only eating ground turkey for his meals  along with his other side dishes (NO OTHER MEAT) and that he had lost like 20 pounds!  He said that he hadn't changed his diet in any other way.  I thought that was pretty amazing.  I'm not sure how feasible or healthy that is.  (I also eat turkey, chicken or fish about 98% of the time.)

• Love 2

@SunnyBeBe:  My husband probably needs to lose a good 20+ lb (that's what doctors have suggested, anyway) - I worry about how his weight could impact his health now that we are hoping to start a family.  He has improved his palate - when we first started going out, he had a preference for burgers over, say, steak and he basically only ate ground beef, chicken or bacon.  Yeah..."man food" for the most part.  He still doesn't like fish too much.  I've reduced portion sizes, but that's when he says he's hungry and wants to buy chips.  :( I'm at a loss, but your suggestion regarding a nutritionist (or dietitian) is great.  I think only a health care professional can drill this into him! 

I'm also trying to get him to exercise a bit more.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, the exercise is great.  Often, I think that when you get out and start working out, being more active, feeling better, it provides you more incentive to be healthier, so you might pass on those treats and make a point to eat healthier food.  I'm considering getting a Fitbit activity watch to keep track of my steps. 

If he likes large portions, I can say that I fill my plate up really high.  I have a lot of food on it and it fills me up, but, I weigh just about everything and count calories. My theory is to put lots of tasty low calories stuff, like 4 oz. of ground turkey with sliced mushrooms (I cook with various seasonings, like pepper, sage, garlic or onion powder). I put toppings on top for more flavor, like chopped onion, chopped green pepper, or even a little organic salsa), baked cauliflower, baked broccoli, green beans, sliced beets, 1/2 cup of brown rice with seasonings. My plate looks huge, but, the content and calories are spot on.  Then for desert I have some sugar free jello with a little low fat yogurt and fresh strawberries.  

For snacks have you tried Veggie Sticks? There're in the snack isle near chips. 

Good luck! Let us know how things go. 

Oh, depending on your husband's level of interest, you might check out Spartan training.  My brother and his wife got involved together and OMG.  They work out all the time.  They both lost weight.  They travel the country competing.  WARNING. It's addictive.  That's all I'll say about it, but, it does appeal to a lot of people. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe