Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, kj4ever said:

These people never believe me when I say I lost it all with just plain old portion control.  There must be something else!

Ha! 

And to tie together this thought with the one about finding what works for you, I found that WW was the easiest tool for me to use to drill into my head that I can eat almost anything as long as I realize how much each thing adds to my full day of intake.

Can I have pizza and a beer? Sure I can. But that's going to represent about half of the fuel my body is going to burn for the entire day.  Can I have two slices and two beers? Do the math. Yes, but realize that it's more than I need. Can I do something like that multiple days in a row?  Sure, if I don't mind being fat.

I just wanted to share something that I found to be helpful.  I wanted something warm and filling that didn't have a lot of calories and I'm not big on hot tea.  I found this Organic, low sodium, fat free, Chicken broth.  I got Great Value brand at Walmart.  It's zero carbs, 5 calories and 140 mg of sodium for 1 cup.  I thought that was pretty good, plus, it's quite tasty and easy to just pour it from the carton into your cup and heat in micro wave. 

When I went to my doctor last February, my lab numbers were in the 'okay' category, but were getting close to the gray area (for cholesterol and blood sugar issues).  So, I promised to get more active and lose weight and come back in three months.  I was really going to show him that I could stick to a healthy regimen and show progress.  Well, I managed to put off going back until now, but have to go back whether or not I'm ready because I need a refill on my BP medicine.  Of course, I have no weight loss to show for all of the months that I planned to lose the weight.  I go back on Wednesday and have to face the music.  I just hope that my lab numbers are still okay.  If not, then I'll deal and have a goal of getting healthier so that I can get those numbers back to a good level!  I have been good about my healthy eating since Saturday, but faced a hurdle tonight.  I went to a lecture on my campus and they had a nice spread of food afterwards.  I started to leave, but I needed to 'mix and mingle' with co-workers for at least a little while.  I managed to limit myself to some fresh veggies (with a spoon of hummus), some fresh fruit, one tiny veggie eggroll (they had cut them in half so that helped) and brought two small (dinner roll sized) turkey sandwiches home for later.  I left after that because I was facing homemade pimento cheese sandwiches (one of my favorites), croissants with chicken salad (another fav) and lemon squares (another fav, sigh).  I know my willpower wasn't going to last much longer.  I feel good about myself, though.  I didn't eat anything that I couldn't add to my food log for the day.  (I still hear those pimento cheese sandwiches calling my name, though!) 

I've found that the way that has worked for me in the past is to know my calorie range and to stay near the bottom part of the range.  I can eat anything I want as long as I don't go over, which means that I'm forced to eat healthy if I don't want to stay really, really hungry.  I never could follow any type of strict diet, because as soon as I knew that I couldn't eat certain foods, I began craving those foods.  My main problem is that if I want to have a cheat meal, I need to limit to a meal.  Too many times I find that it ends up being a cheat day or a cheat weekend.  I also need to get more active, but I'm working on that.  

I can relate to having to return to the doctor and not having the results that you want.  Fortunately, I've been in good shape for the last 12 months, but, it's happened before then.  What, is particularly disappointing for those with Type I diabetes is how well you have managed your blood sugar control.  They tell this by getting your A1C and plugging in your blood meter that shows how often you've tested, results, etc.  It can be pretty embarrassing. But, what I did finally realize is that the doctor and her team are ON MY SIDE. Their goal is to help me meet my goals, not blame me. It's not a moral thing.  I may struggle, but, I'm still a good person.   So, I did much better when I came to terms with that.  Opening up and sharing helped her provide me more tips, strategies and tools to help me.  So, I have used their nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Educator to help me.  We've tried some new things medically too and it's made a big difference. Still, you can do everything right and still have wonky results with your blood sugar.  The CGM is helping though.  

My weight is still going down a little, since my flu experience, but, I think I know why.  When I was in the grocery store, they forgot to load up my brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sauce and mushrooms.  I've just been toughing it out, til I can get back to the store to get them, but, I can tell a difference in my body, just leaving off the pasta and brown rice. I didn't have any kind of starch in the house.   Even though, I really have small portions, I think they were holding me back.  Oh well, I may have to just have those every other day, not every day.  I'll see how that works.

Another tip.  This is a great product, but, I can't buy them, because I eat too many.  But, others may be able to enjoy them.  They are called Skinny Cow Divines. I got Coffee filled chocolate.  Three pieces are 18 carbs and 140 calories.  It would work out great if I could just eat one as my desert.  lol  So, I'm going to stay away from them and stick with something that I can control better like grapes. 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:44 PM, forumfish said:

So now I know that other than making healthier food choices (a given, duh), the biggest thing I need to do is reinstate my workout routine

Good luck! Getting back into the routine is the hard part. In my experience, once you get rolling, you’ll be fine. 

How is everything going with their progress?  I'm walking a little more. I went off a medication that I thought was causing me muscle pain and sure enough, I think it was, because the leg pain is gone!  That's great, but, now to deal with the cholesterol.   AND, I lost ANOTHER 2 POUNDS!  I know, it's only 2, but, I'm happy with it.  Still more to go, but, it helps with my motivation.  I'm still eating healthy, treating myself and not going hungry.  If I can keep this up, I will reach my goal weight, though at a glacial pace. 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

How is everything going with their progress?  I'm walking a little more. I went off a medication that I thought was causing me muscle pain and sure enough, I think it was, because the leg pain is gone!  That's great, but, now to deal with the cholesterol.   AND, I lost ANOTHER 2 POUNDS!  I know, it's only 2, but, I'm happy with it.  Still more to go, but, it helps with my motivation.  I'm still eating healthy, treating myself and not going hungry.  If I can keep this up, I will reach my goal weight, though at a glacial pace. 

I'm coming up to a year maintaining my goal weight (well 5 pounds under), and let me tell you what - it is in some ways harder than the actual losing part!  I did not expect that AT  ALL.  I mean mathematically I was probably between a 5,000-7000 calorie deficit every week while I was losing, so to stop losing you eat that.

It is hard to find that balance when you have more leeway in your diet plan.  I can see why the pre-packaged food diet plans don't have a great track record for success after the losing phase.  It really is like walking a very skinny tightrope.

17 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I'm coming up to a year maintaining my goal weight (well 5 pounds under), and let me tell you what - it is in some ways harder than the actual losing part!  I did not expect that AT  ALL.  I mean mathematically I was probably between a 5,000-7000 calorie deficit every week while I was losing, so to stop losing you eat that.

It is hard to find that balance when you have more leeway in your diet plan.  I can see why the pre-packaged food diet plans don't have a great track record for success after the losing phase.  It really is like walking a very skinny tightrope.

Great job on maintaining.  That's a huge deal and many can't manage it.  Do you know in your head what the calories in your food are and just run it through during the day?  I do that when I'm eating the same thing, which I do a lot, but, because I love the food.

I don't think I would do well with pre-packaged diet food, because, I like lots of veggies and the portion sizes in those seem pretty small.  Still, even with my large portions of veggies, I think my calorie content is pretty good.  I know that if I limited myself more, I'd probably lose faster, but, I'd rather be content, not white knuckle it and just lose slower.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Great job on maintaining.  That's a huge deal and many can't manage it.  Do you know in your head what the calories in your food are and just run it through during the day?  I do that when I'm eating the same thing, which I do a lot, but, because I love the food.

I don't think I would do well with pre-packaged diet food, because, I like lots of veggies and the portion sizes in those seem pretty small.  Still, even with my large portions of veggies, I think my calorie content is pretty good.  I know that if I limited myself more, I'd probably lose faster, but, I'd rather be content, not white knuckle it and just lose slower.  

I track it on my phone with the Weight Watchers App.  I absolutely love it.  It's the only thing that has ever worked and worked for a long time for me.

If I don't track, I gain.  So I track, and always will.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I track it on my phone with the Weight Watchers App.  I absolutely love it.  It's the only thing that has ever worked and worked for a long time for me.

If I don't track, I gain.  So I track, and always will.

I'm coming up on two years this summer. I don't track all the time anymore, but at the start of this year I jumped back in for about three months to make a minor tune up, drop what was about 10 pounds to get back where I want to be. 

The WW app and program is a really good tool. 

• Love 1

I guess I could do it.  I already have to count carbs, so I know how much insulin to take.  I take multiple injections based on what I eat.  I am Type I diabetic.  I wear a Continuous Glucose Monitor, which I do rely on sometimes to calculate my insulin dose, but, not always.  I'm trying to cut back on stuff to do with gadgets, but, I might look into it.  I'm not a member with WW though. I've gone a few times, joined once, but, it wasn't for me.  That was a long time ago though. 

20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess I could do it.  I already have to count carbs, so I know how much insulin to take.  I take multiple injections based on what I eat.  I am Type I diabetic.  I wear a Continuous Glucose Monitor, which I do rely on sometimes to calculate my insulin dose, but, not always.  I'm trying to cut back on stuff to do with gadgets, but, I might look into it.  I'm not a member with WW though. I've gone a few times, joined once, but, it wasn't for me.  That was a long time ago though. 

You can do online only now, and it's much cheaper if you aren't a meeting person.  What a lot of people do is they do online until they get about 10 pounds from their goal then they switch to meetings.  You have to be a meeting member to get "lifetime" status and all the app stuff for free, so they switch just to not have to pay anymore.

I'm basically an online person - I don't do the meetings much and show up once a month to keep my App free.

It's on the honor system.  And why would you lie? You're only lying to yourself.

Ok, peeps.  I had an experience yesterday, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

Long story short, I used WW years ago and got to a healthy weight that I maintained for years.   Health problems a few years ago impacted my ability to exercise, and what I could eat, and left me feeling awful all the time. So I ate crap and sat on my ass until I got to my heaviest weight ever.  After telling myself many times "This week I'm going to do something about it", three months ago I just flipped a switch, I signed up for 6 months of WW online and just did it.  Cold turkey from day 1 - no junk food, no fast food, no sweets (my weakness).   I've been really strict about it, afraid that if I stray I will open the floodgates.   I've lost 26 pounds in 3 months, and would like to lose about 30-35 more.   I haven't told anyone, and no one in my life has noticed, or at least commented on it.  Yesterday I was shopping in a department store.   A (lovely, older) salesperson said "Oh, sweetie, this is the plus section.  Not for you."  I was pleased that it must be apparent that I'm not a plus size anymore .   But then I thought, a few months ago if I had been shopping in the "regular" department, would she have said "Oh, sweetie, these are the regular sizes. Not for you." ?  And how rude would that be?????

• Love 3

I see your point, but I'm so impressed that you found a salesperson who voluntarily helped you and knew where things were located in the store that I can't think about anything else.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Quof said:

But then I thought, a few months ago if I had been shopping in the "regular" department, would she have said "Oh, sweetie, these are the regular sizes. Not for you." ?  And how rude would that be?????

I don't imagine she would have said anything.

Congratulations on your success with the weight loss.

(edited)

Yes, Congratulations Quof! That's a great accomplishment.  I know it's confusing when you lose and no one comments. Don't be discouraged.  Sometimes people are dense, jealous or just rude. 

That happened to me at one point.  I thought it was bizarre that I was wearing very baggy clothes, due to 20 pound weight loss and people in my office didn't comment.  So, I just continued on.  Later, they all finally commented.  I'm now with over 50 pound loss. OH, I lost another pound yesterday!  

Worrying makes some people eat, but, for me, I can't eat when I'm upset. I eat more when I'm happy and content.

Anyone having any loose skin issues?  I'm beginning to worry.  My loss has been so slow, I thought I could avoid it, but, I still think I'm going to have it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
16 hours ago, Quof said:

But then I thought, a few months ago if I had been shopping in the "regular" department, would she have said "Oh, sweetie, these are the regular sizes. Not for you." ?  And how rude would that be?????

Jeez, don't take a compliment and what-if it into something else. 

I think it was at the three month/thirty pound mark when people started to ask me about it. My favorite was this great person in our marketing department who looked at me and said, "What are you doing? Did you just stop drinking soda? God, I hate men."  Heh. I told her I was full blown obsessed with living like a skinny person, portion control, cut way back on comfort food and drinking. 

And like you said, the switch went off and that was that. For me, it was 100% commitment to live like this for the rest of my life. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, Congratulations Quof! That's a great accomplishment.  I know it's confusing when you lose and no one comments. Don't be discouraged.  Sometimes people are dense, jealous or just rude. 

That happened to me at one point.  I thought it was bizarre that I was wearing very baggy clothes, due to 20 pound weight loss and people in my office didn't comment.  So, I just continued on.  Later, they all finally commented.  I'm now with over 50 pound loss. OH, I lost another pound yesterday!  

Worrying makes some people eat, but, for me, I can't eat when I'm upset. I eat more when I'm happy and content.

Anyone having any loose skin issues?  I'm beginning to worry.  My loss has been so slow, I thought I could avoid it, but, I still think I'm going to have it. 

Good job on the loss!

I don't have near the skin issues that I thought I would.  I'm 47 and have a little in my arms, but most wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to them.

QUOF, I had an experience in Torrid that really ticked me off.  I went there a lot when I was heavier because their clothes don't look like they were made for an 80 year old.  Well their bras still fit and I LOVE their strapless, so I went in to get one and the sales lady pretty much bombarded me at the door with a sarcastic "We don't have anything here that will fit you" and a disgusted look.

I was PISSED.  I mean I could have been buying someone a present.  I complained to corporate about it and got a nice sized coupon.  I'll buy my bras online from them now.

• Love 1

See, I don't necessarily want anyone to say anything.  I was just curious whether any one else could see the change. 

I think it's horrible to say to someone "Wow, you've lost weight," in a tone that implies they were really hideously fat ie. ugly before.    I prefer to say "Wow, you're looking really great these days." That can only be taken as a compliment.   I think it's awful that we associate being thin with being attractive, so thinner is always better and saying someone is thin is always a compliment. Maybe the person is horribly ill.  Or maybe their body is just nobody's business. 

15 hours ago, Quof said:

Maybe the person is horribly ill. 

I had more than one person ask me if I was loosing weight intentionally. A couple of them actually appeared to be relieved when I told them that I was neither sick nor under doctor's orders to do what I was doing. Which I guess is nice that they were concerned. 

15 hours ago, Quof said:

I think it's awful that we associate being thin with being attractive

I'm not sure how much of that is societal norms where we all think that because everybody else thinks that, and how much is just biology. I look at myself in the mirror today, and I like the way my clothing is hanging on me. I like the fact that my shirt is snug around my shoulders and chest and looser around the waist (as opposed to the exact opposite before I did this.) It feels like this is what I'm supposed to look like. What a man is supposed to look like. From a woman's perspective, there has to be something that has nothing to do with "that's what the world tells us to think" that makes her think broad shoulders, narrow waist = attractive. 

And to your point that saying someone is thin is always a compliment, I actually caught a bunch of flack from coworkers (women) who told me I had gotten too thin. That was probably a fair assessment. There wasn't much left of me when I stopped dieting and started doing more things at the gym beside relentless cardio.

I've never understood how stick skinny women are considered attractive and the desirable standard.  

Meat is for the man. Bone is for the dog. 

• Love 3

My body resists going below 130 pounds.  It's just nearly impossible for me, no matter my diet or work out.  It's odd. So, my goal is not there any longer.  I think around 145 would be fine, actually. 

I think that I'm doing about 1200 per day and I lost 5 pounds within the last 10 days.  That's a lot for me.  I normally lose it slowly.  Counting points is great for some people. I just found calorie counting easier. 

@forumfish - no help on the diet part, but I was wondering if water/swimming would be possible.  I know there are some adaptive swimming exercises can be done, although I realize they might not be suitable for all people.

My Dad always enjoyed swimming and when he got towards the end when his mobility and muscle tone was shot, he was always so happy when my brothers were able to assist him into (and in) the pool.  My brother who lives 1 house away from our parents had a pool., but it got to the point where both brothers had to assist with the transfer to do it safely.

17 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have a question for those of you using the WW Freestyle plan -- do you think it will work well if your goal is to lose only 10-15 pounds?

My sister, who spends all her time either lying in bed or sitting in a motorized wheelchair (she is spina bifida), needs to lose a little bit of weight to get her blood sugar and triglycerides down. The doctor is going to check her levels in 6 months before deciding whether to put her on medication. Due to her physical limitations, diet will work better than exercise at this point -- we are slowly increasing her cardio, but it is hard to get in a calories-burning workout in a wheelchair and with limited use of one hand, like she has.

I used to use the WW Points Plus formula to help me make better eating choices, so this week, my sister and I tried the new Freestyle plan (a DIY version). For her, she really didn't eat much less than she usually does, pretty much all she did was cut back on portion sizes of high-point foods, which is a good idea anyway. I, on the other hand, came in right at or under 1,000 calories a day most days, which is not healthy. I'm starting to think that this version of WW is geared more for people wanting to lose 20pounds or more.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about only tracking points for the foods that are considered snacks or splurges -- chips, crackers, pastries -- and not worry if I want a little lowfat dairy or a handful of nuts every few days.

I had a hard time adjusting once we went to Freestyle, but I was already at my goal weight.  I actually found it easier to maintain counting everything rather than the new plan.  If you are a healthy eater to start with I think it can become way to easy to overeat those things like salmon and even chicken.

I had to go back to portion sizes for my "free" meats to keep myself in check.  I think if a person eats out a lot or tends to eat more high calorie/high sugar/high fat foods that this is great, but if you have already adopted a healthy lifestyle you need to watch that you don't eat more just because you can.

So I think it would work for anyone, no matter how much you have to lose - you just have to know your lane and what your weaknesses may be.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, forumfish said:

I told her the most important thing is to find what she's comfortable with that will help her make smart choices.

That is excellent advice. For me, WW was simply the tool to help me understand proper intake. Losing weight has two major components. First is the math problem: Calories consumed versus calories needed. To me, that's where you need to find whichever tool helps you get the math part right now and forever.

The second component is the full commitment emotionally and mentally. Because it doesn't matter if you understand the math part if you don't actually stick to it. No calorie counting method is going to help anybody with that part of it.

• Love 4

That's so true about the mental part.  It took me getting mentally ready, before I could really commit to changing my eating. I'm not sure what happened, but, something in my brain just clicked one day and I was in the zone.  Somehow, I internalized what healthy eating could really do for me, physically and mentally.  Now, when I think of food, my first thought is how it's going to help me. If it's not benefiting me, I consider if I really want it. I've never had that ability before and I'm not sure why I suddenly got it. I just hope it lasts! lol 

• Love 1
On 5/6/2018 at 6:02 AM, kj4ever said:

I had a hard time adjusting once we went to Freestyle, but I was already at my goal weight.  I actually found it easier to maintain counting everything rather than the new plan.  If you are a healthy eater to start with I think it can become way to easy to overeat those things like salmon and even chicken.

I had to go back to portion sizes for my "free" meats to keep myself in check.  I think if a person eats out a lot or tends to eat more high calorie/high sugar/high fat foods that this is great, but if you have already adopted a healthy lifestyle you need to watch that you don't eat more just because you can.

So I think it would work for anyone, no matter how much you have to lose - you just have to know your lane and what your weaknesses may be.

I lost about 80ish pounds 19 years ago on WW and it was the points (not sure when they started that).  I kept it off until about 5 years ago and gained back about 25ish.  I finally decided I was going to start again which I did 2 weeks ago.  I thought about trying the new program but since I am cheap, I stuck with the old.  What you wrote in bold makes me think my decision was correct for me.  I NEED to count everything and I find I need to go all in when I do it.  I tried to 1/2 ass it for awhile and that didn't work.  I find I feel so much better!  I am also eating a ton more than I did before.  Just no more donuts :).  What works for me is making sure I have enough points left over so I can have dessert.  Without a sweet after dinner I don't feel normal.  I cannot locate my old literature (I have it somewhere!) so I cannot remember how many points specifically I can have in a day at my weight so I am having just a few more points than I was allowed at my lowest.  I find having a food journal helps me tremendously in keeping track.  It also gives me ideas about what to eat when I am lazy.  I loathe the scale and have never had one but I finally bought one that I get tomorrow.  

• Love 2

Good luck on your journey Natalie.  It sounds like you have a lot figured out. How fast do you normally lose when you go with a plan like you're doing?  

I like deserts too, but, try to save them for one day a week on the weekend. 

I was at the doctor this week for a regular appointment and I was down even more. My doctor is pleased and has always encouraged me to go slow and steady, which I have been doing for over a year.  Still, I'm now inclined to pick it up a little more. I have about 30 more that I want to lose now. I think in order to do it faster, I will need to start back tracking my calories.  PLUS, the exercise.  I think that is really what I need to jump start myself. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good luck on your journey Natalie.  It sounds like you have a lot figured out. How fast do you normally lose when you go with a plan like you're doing?  

I like deserts too, but, try to save them for one day a week on the weekend. 

I was at the doctor this week for a regular appointment and I was down even more. My doctor is pleased and has always encouraged me to go slow and steady, which I have been doing for over a year.  Still, I'm now inclined to pick it up a little more. I have about 30 more that I want to lose now. I think in order to do it faster, I will need to start back tracking my calories.  PLUS, the exercise.  I think that is really what I need to jump start myself. 

Thank you!  In Nov 1999 when I 1st started I weighed 194, got to my goal of 125 (by August 2000), and then down to 117 (a couple months later).  After I reached my lowest weight I stopped looking at the scale and just went by pant size.  I know I weighed more than 194 but lost a bit of weight before my 1st weigh in.  I had no idea what I weighed NOW until 4/30 when I had an MRI and saw my weight on the machine.  OMG!  I was horrified I let myself gain that much (at 160 that day).  I am glad I saw it because its a slippery slope and I was not getting any heavier.  I went from an 18 in '99 (actually I never got to wear the 18s, they were too small and then too big) to a 4.  I am most comfortable weighing between 130 and 135.  

The week of 4/30 I didn't restart WW but I cut a lot out of my diet and on 5/6 I started being serious.  As of this morning I had lost 15 lbs.  I thought the scale was lying or broken so I made my husband get on it, then we put a free weight on it and yep, it was correct.  I was very surprised.  Happy but shocked!

I find WW to be kind of a game.  I like seeing how creative I can get to get the most food with the lowest amount of points while still feeling like I am eating like a normal person.  I am someone who cannot fly by the seat of my pants with food.  I need to have a plan and stick to it.  I tell myself I have to eat with a purpose because being lazy and not planning made my butt get too big!  I call it mindless eating.  No bueno!  I am also walking about 3 miles, 3X/week.  That will increase once my schedule normalizes.  I try and stay away from frozen meals because if they are low point they are not very filling.  I need bulk!  So I would rather make something with layers of good flavor which means lots of veggies/fruits and I cannot live without hot salsa (which is zero points).  It makes everything taste fabulous.

CONGRATS!  Once you track your calories it will be easier I think.  It is also a good reminder if you haven't eaten enough!  What works for me is having a different number of points everyday.  I go from low end to high end and in between.  I also like to change up my exercise program daily (when I lost in 99/2000, I did kickboxing, spinning, walks, weights, bike machine/elliptical/treadmill).  This summer when I have more time I will add more than walks to my schedule.  Slow is good.  I don't believe in starving yourself and how you lose it should be how you live with just extra calories added in so you don't continue losing.  I want to be NORMAL, not the gal that never can eat anything fun or is a pain in the rear to be around because I am dieting.   I am glad I found this place.  It will help keep me on track and a community of like minded people is great support.  YOU HAVE GOT THIS!!!!

Lastly, I don't like the word diet and I don't like diets that aren't realistic for living.  You can lose weight on any plan but keeping it off requires being realistic and I am NOT going to eat frozen crap the rest of my life.  I have a friend that is struggling with that right now and I would like her to see that she can eat like a normal person and lose weight.  When she is ready...

Thank you for the warm welcome!

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Thank you!  In Nov 1999 when I 1st started I weighed 194, got to my goal of 125 (by August 2000), and then down to 117 (a couple months later).  After I reached my lowest weight I stopped looking at the scale and just went by pant size.  I know I weighed more than 194 but lost a bit of weight before my 1st weigh in.  I had no idea what I weighed NOW until 4/30 when I had an MRI and saw my weight on the machine.  OMG!  I was horrified I let myself gain that much (at 160 that day).  I am glad I saw it because its a slippery slope and I was not getting any heavier.  I went from an 18 in '99 (actually I never got to wear the 18s, they were too small and then too big) to a 4.  I am most comfortable weighing between 130 and 135.  

The week of 4/30 I didn't restart WW but I cut a lot out of my diet and on 5/6 I started being serious.  As of this morning I had lost 15 lbs.  I thought the scale was lying or broken so I made my husband get on it, then we put a free weight on it and yep, it was correct.  I was very surprised.  Happy but shocked!

I find WW to be kind of a game.  I like seeing how creative I can get to get the most food with the lowest amount of points while still feeling like I am eating like a normal person.  I am someone who cannot fly by the seat of my pants with food.  I need to have a plan and stick to it.  I tell myself I have to eat with a purpose because being lazy and not planning made my butt get too big!  I call it mindless eating.  No bueno!  I am also walking about 3 miles, 3X/week.  That will increase once my schedule normalizes.  I try and stay away from frozen meals because if they are low point they are not very filling.  I need bulk!  So I would rather make something with layers of good flavor which means lots of veggies/fruits and I cannot live without hot salsa (which is zero points).  It makes everything taste fabulous.

CONGRATS!  Once you track your calories it will be easier I think.  It is also a good reminder if you haven't eaten enough!  What works for me is having a different number of points everyday.  I go from low end to high end and in between.  I also like to change up my exercise program daily (when I lost in 99/2000, I did kickboxing, spinning, walks, weights, bike machine/elliptical/treadmill).  This summer when I have more time I will add more than walks to my schedule.  Slow is good.  I don't believe in starving yourself and how you lose it should be how you live with just extra calories added in so you don't continue losing.  I want to be NORMAL, not the gal that never can eat anything fun or is a pain in the rear to be around because I am dieting.   I am glad I found this place.  It will help keep me on track and a community of like minded people is great support.  YOU HAVE GOT THIS!!!!

Lastly, I don't like the word diet and I don't like diets that aren't realistic for living.  You can lose weight on any plan but keeping it off requires being realistic and I am NOT going to eat frozen crap the rest of my life.  I have a friend that is struggling with that right now and I would like her to see that she can eat like a normal person and lose weight.  When she is ready...

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I can really relate to your points.  We certainly agree on a lot. I've bolden them.  I want to be happy with my daily meals and snacks and not feel like I'm on some kind of strict regimen.  To me, it has to be sustainable. 

I have a friend who is on Keto diet and while I applaud her weight loss, I wonder how lasting it will be.  She's done it before, several times and gained it back.  Of course, that can happen with anything, but, I think she's so miserable with the deprivation, that it's just not sustainable. 

Please post your journey and share tips.  I can use all I can get.  

I struggle with having too much healthy snacks. I have to watch that. I am not a fast food fan, so eating that kind of thing is not a problem for me. Thank goodness. I cook everyday and have nutritious meals that I count calories.  Delicious, but, nutritious.  I pile my plate with veggies, whole grain in moderation and lean protein.  Maybe, we can post some recipe ideas later on. 

I get stuck at 130 pounds and have trouble ever getting below that.  But, I'm not setting my goals that low anymore.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can really relate to your points.  We certainly agree on a lot. I've bolden them.  I want to be happy with my daily meals and snacks and not feel like I'm on some kind of strict regimen.  To me, it has to be sustainable. 

I have a friend who is on Keto diet and while I applaud her weight loss, I wonder how lasting it will be.  She's done it before, several times and gained it back.  Of course, that can happen with anything, but, I think she's so miserable with the deprivation, that it's just not sustainable. 

Please post your journey and share tips.  I can use all I can get.  

I struggle with having too much healthy snacks. I have to watch that. I am not a fast food fan, so eating that kind of thing is not a problem for me. Thank goodness. I cook everyday and have nutritious meals that I count calories.  Delicious, but, nutritious.  I pile my plate with veggies, whole grain in moderation and lean protein.  Maybe, we can post some recipe ideas later on. 

I get stuck at 130 pounds and have trouble ever getting below that.  But, I'm not setting my goals that low anymore.  

*I have to say my favorite part of WW was the meetings back then because we all ended up talking about what foods we found, what snacks were good, etc.  The meetings are inconvenient now but this place is certainly good for sharing ideas.  I keep my fun snacks limited to after dinner and then I brush my teeth so I am done eating.  I find I have to keep a lot of variety on hand so I don't lose my mind.  My go to the last couple of nights have been the Skinny Cow ice cream bars that have chopped almonds in the chocolate.  They are 5 points which is a little high but I had the room.  I also like the chewy granola bars that are 25% less calories.  They are 2 points and if I am going crazy for a sweet, I can have 2.  Between meals during the day I have fruit as a snack.  What gave me some motivation was watching videos WW folks made of their shopping trips and what they purchased.  I also eat as much fiber as I can.  For breakfast I have a bran muffin I get from Trader Joes that are low fat and 12 grams of fiber per muffin (take off on Zen Muffins).  They are filling and well, fiber is a great thing!  My 2 favorite dinners right now are:  avocado toast (using 1 mini avo) on double fiber whole wheat toast sprinkled with Everything But the Bagel topping or a whole wheat tortilla cut in 1/2. baked til crunchy topped with a serving of non fat black refried beans, jalapeno's, 4 chopped black olives, red/green/yellow bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, 2 kinds of salsa, couple of drops of non fat plain yogurt, 2 tbs of 2% cheddar, one 1/2 of tortilla on the bottom, other 1/2 on top.  The avo toast is 6 pts and the tostada is 6 pts.  Both are super easy.  I make sure by dinner time I have had all the fruits and veggies I need in a day so anything I eat at dinner is just the cherry on top.

Below 130 was nice to see and frankly I wasn't even that small in high school.  Its not realistic and since I am older I don't want to be so thin I look like the crypt keeper.  

*my 1st leader kinda stunk.  She was not a good example.  She would use her points for a plain hot dog and get pieces of See's candy and use her points on other poor choices.  Who can live on that?  That was how she ate all the time.  My second leader was more into real lifestyle changes and real food.  

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 1

I'll have to consider that Avocado toast dish. It sounds very good.  I tend to eat a lot of avocado though, cause I really like it. 

I just have this thing about my meat for dinner. (Sometimes, I'll substitute my meat with beans.) I like my turkey, chicken, fish, whatever it is for that day, along with solid servings of veggies. (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, etc. some combo of these, plus others like squash, peppers, tomatoes,) I am mindful of the calories.  I like mushrooms too. I usually jazz them up with garlic, onion flakes, peppers, pepper, cucumber, olive oil).  I'll also have a serving of brown rice, sweet potato, or whole wheat pasta.  

I normally have my snacks later in the evening and if I would limit that, I'd do fine, but, I can have too much.  Usually, Skinny Girl popcorn, which is fine if I leave it there, but, then I might want an orange, apple, pear or Yogurt.  Sometimes, I have 2 pieces of Graham crackers.  My goal is to stick to proper portions on my snacks. I don't think I could limit my ice cream, if I bought the Skinny Cow ice cream. I better leave that alone. lol 

I normally combine breakfast and lunch and have 1 egg with 1 piece of toast or one medium banana. Daytime is easy for me. I don't really struggle then or dinner. It's nighttime snacking.  

Have you ever considered hypnosis? I'm considering it. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll have to consider that Avocado toast dish. It sounds very good.  I tend to eat a lot of avocado though, cause I really like it. 

I just have this thing about my meat for dinner. (Sometimes, I'll substitute my meat with beans.) I like my turkey, chicken, fish, whatever it is for that day, along with solid servings of veggies. (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, etc. some combo of these, plus others like squash, peppers, tomatoes,) I am mindful of the calories.  I like mushrooms too. I usually jazz them up with garlic, onion flakes, peppers, pepper, cucumber, olive oil).  I'll also have a serving of brown rice, sweet potato, or whole wheat pasta.  

I normally have my snacks later in the evening and if I would limit that, I'd do fine, but, I can have too much.  Usually, Skinny Girl popcorn, which is fine if I leave it there, but, then I might want an orange, apple, pear or Yogurt.  Sometimes, I have 2 pieces of Graham crackers.  My goal is to stick to proper portions on my snacks. I don't think I could limit my ice cream, if I bought the Skinny Cow ice cream. I better leave that alone. lol 

I normally combine breakfast and lunch and have 1 egg with 1 piece of toast or one medium banana. Daytime is easy for me. I don't really struggle then or dinner. It's nighttime snacking.  

Have you ever considered hypnosis? I'm considering it. 

It is soooo yummy!  TJ's has those bags of 6 mini avos that are perfect.  I am not a big meat eater but we had carne asada tacos the other night.  YUM!  They said 4oz was a serving but I was happy with 2oz topped with a ton of fajita veggies.  I eat turkey on my sammi at lunch.  But I am good without meat as well.  I love beans and rice but for some reason rice has not made it on my plate yet.  I have an old air popper for the microwave that must be from the 80's but it works well so I popped some the other night, sprayed a bit of avo oil on it to hold the salt/everything bagel topping and it was super good.  Didn't miss the butter.  Your snacks don't sound bad at all!  Ice cream is not my weakness so its good for me, but if a donut made it into my house?  NO WAY!  The other thing I like are biscotti.  One is 2 pts and can be pretty satisfying.  Have you tried the skinny cow ice cream sammies?  They are a good size and really good.  Maybe that wouldn't be too hard?  

I haven't thought about hypnosis but I know it works.  My parents quit smoking doing it.  Sometimes when I CANNOT get a snack out of my mind I will start stretching or do dishes.  On the weekends my go to when nothing else works is nap.  HA!

I'll consider the Skinny Cow ice cream treats. What I have done so far is to have my favorite treat one day a week.  Like, Saturday after dinner, I might have a piece of pie or cake.  I'll even eat a meal that isn't my norm, but, I don't go to crazy with it. I try to keep it pretty balanced.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but, I have Type I diabetes, so, I have to count my carbs, to cover them with insulin.  It's a little easier if I don't consume very high carbs.  I don't plan to have low carb, but, I just don't focus on them, since I do have to take extra insulin if I do.  And insulin can pack the pounds on you, so, there's that. 

I've enjoyed your input and will look forward to seeing more about your tips, philosophy and progress!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll consider the Skinny Cow ice cream treats. What I have done so far is to have my favorite treat one day a week.  Like, Saturday after dinner, I might have a piece of pie or cake.  I'll even eat a meal that isn't my norm, but, I don't go to crazy with it. I try to keep it pretty balanced.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but, I have Type I diabetes, so, I have to count my carbs, to cover them with insulin.  It's a little easier if I don't consume very high carbs.  I don't plan to have low carb, but, I just don't focus on them, since I do have to take extra insulin if I do.  And insulin can pack the pounds on you, so, there's that. 

I've enjoyed your input and will look forward to seeing more about your tips, philosophy and progress!

Thank you!  That does complicate things.  My dad had diabetes so I do need to be cautious.  I had to go to the store last night so I bought another old time snack staple.  They are the lower calorie (yet no fake sugar, that makes me very ill) chocolate pudding cups.  I do not trust myself around cake because like donuts they are the thing to do me in!  I am going to up my exercise this week to see what that does.  I like the solitude of my headphones and walking.  It is a good time to clear my head.  Have a great weekend!

• Love 1
(edited)

How are things going with everyone? Did you survive the July 4th cookouts?  I did eat a hot dog and piece of apple pie, but, I had planned it and it was fine to consider as my treat for the day. 

I was wondering if there are any benefits to switching to unsweetened Almond milk from 2% regular milk.  I recently started using the Almond milk in my coffee and just love it. I can't tell the difference between it and low fat regular milk.  It's low in calories and carbs.  Just wondering if there are any other benefits. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

40 pounds down as of today, in 5 months.  Strangely, I'm down at least 3 pants sizes, but barely down one band size in the boobage. Apparently, these girls are here to stay. 

• Love 5
On 7/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, Quof said:

40 pounds down as of today, in 5 months.  Strangely, I'm down at least 3 pants sizes, but barely down one band size in the boobage. Apparently, these girls are here to stay. 

Oh my, QUOF, that's pretty impressive. You must feel pretty different now in your clothes.

Are you still doing WW online?  How are you staying so focused? 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

How are things going with everyone? Did you survive the July 4th cookouts?  I did eat a hot dog and piece of apple pie, but, I had planned it and it was fine to consider as my treat for the day. 

I was wondering if there are any benefits to switching to unsweetened Almond milk from 2% regular milk.  I recently started using the Almond milk in my coffee and just love it. I can't tell the difference between it and low fat regular milk.  It's low in calories and carbs.  Just wondering if there are any other benefits. 

Pretty good!  I was able to keep it at 1 veggie dog and salad.  Down 23lbs.  It has slowed down which is fine by me. I am *almost* down 2 sizes.  It was too freaking hot last week to exercise (over 100 at midnight!) so I am back this week.  How are you doing Sunnybebe?

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Pretty good!  I was able to keep it at 1 veggie dog and salad.  Down 23lbs.  It has slowed down which is fine by me. I am *almost* down 2 sizes.  It was too freaking hot last week to exercise (over 100 at midnight!) so I am back this week.  How are you doing Sunnybebe?

That's awesome.  TWENTY-THREE pounds is a lot and you must really be feeling better.  Do you only eat organic? 

I hadn't even thought of veggie dogs, though, I do like the veggie burgers.  I did make a salad with iceberg lettuce, which I hardly ever use, blue berries, strawberries, cucumbers and feta cheese (not too much cheese). It was very good and refreshing.

I know what you mean about heat. It's been close to one hundred around here too.  We had a little bit of a break from it, but, it's hitting back to the 90's next week.  

I haven't dropped any more weight though.  I think I'm at a plateau, but, that doesn't bother me as much as most people, because, I do want my loss to be slow.  I might try to bump it up a little next week by doing more activity. I know that doesn't make a huge amount of difference, but, some. And, I will start logging my food.  When I do that, I have tighter control .  I've been having some knee and hip pain and normally more activity helps that for me. I know. Sounds crazy.  But, sitting too much seems to aggravate it.  Lots of stretching and walking helps.  And, I can do that inside, if I have to. 

I did try on some new clothes though and that was nice, because I'm back into the smallest sizes that I've been in a long time. It really feels good and I'm even looking forward to returning to the beach soon.  I had a business trip there recently, but, couldn't stay and enjoy due to my tight schedule.  My old suit that's a small size is going to work out fine.  It's actually never been worn! I tried it on and it fits perfectly.    

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 7/14/2018 at 6:57 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

That's awesome.  TWENTY-THREE pounds is a lot and you must really be feeling better.  Do you only eat organic? 

I hadn't even thought of veggie dogs, though, I do like the veggie burgers.  I did make a salad with iceberg lettuce, which I hardly ever use, blue berries, strawberries, cucumbers and feta cheese (not too much cheese). It was very good and refreshing.

I know what you mean about heat. It's been close to one hundred around here too.  We had a little bit of a break from it, but, it's hitting back to the 90's next week.  

I haven't dropped any more weight though.  I think I'm at a plateau, but, that doesn't bother me as much as most people, because, I do want my loss to be slow.  I might try to bump it up a little next week by doing more activity. I know that doesn't make a huge amount of difference, but, some. And, I will start logging my food.  When I do that, I have tighter control .  I've been having some knee and hip pain and normally more activity helps that for me. I know. Sounds crazy.  But, sitting too much seems to aggravate it.  Lots of stretching and walking helps.  And, I can do that inside, if I have to. 

I did try on some new clothes though and that was nice, because I'm back into the smallest sizes that I've been in a long time. It really feels good and I'm even looking forward to returning to the beach soon.  I had a business trip there recently, but, couldn't stay and enjoy due to my tight schedule.  My old suit that's a small size is going to work out fine.  It's actually never been worn! I tried it on and it fits perfectly.    

Thank you!  I feel a ton better.  I don't always eat organic.  Somethings yes, but it really depends on the price (I am pretty cheap).  I also quit smoking and noticed that smoking had been making me really tired so I no longer need a nap on my days off.  The eating better/exercising made quitting much easier.  Kept my mind occupied and I am almost at 3 months post smoke.

Smart Dogs are the best veggie dog I have found.  They are really good.  I don't eat them often but they are my choice when looking for a veggie dog.  That salad sounds really good!  Feta has such a strong flavor it really doesn't take much.  Same with Blue Cheese which I love.  Just a sprinkle is all it takes.  

Logging my food really helps.  I realized I wasn't getting enough protein even though I thought I was so I log not only the food/points, I log the protein #'s.  I found I had to trade some snacks for higher protein snacks so I am glad I looked.  I get hip and knee pain as well and walking really helps it!  It doesn't seem like it would but it does.  Then I stretch when I get home and throughout the night when I start feeling stiff.  I finally got a fitbit so I can keep track of my steps easily.  I make myself hit at least 10K steps on my walk so everything else I do is just gravy.  I am working on adding extra blocks to the route.  Keeps it interesting.  

CONGRATS on being in a smaller size!  That is so fun!  When I hit my goal I will be getting a few items.  I am about a size and 1/2 from that.  It will get there eventually.  

• Love 3

Congrats on being so close to your goal size. You sure have a good plan in place. 

I think that I'm about 2 sizes away. It's hard to say really.  My top part tends to get much smaller than my bottom.  I wouldn't mind if that didn't get too much smaller.  I'm a large now in tops and don't care to be smaller in the top than a Small. When I was really thin, I found that smalls weren't that small.  lol And it's hard to find XS.  

• Love 2

Anyone have any tips & tricks that work for them when you just cannot stop eating???  I'm having a bad few days and have been eating literally non-stop.  I even missed work today and just ate all day.  I'm not even hungry.  Hell, I've got massive acid reflux right now and I'm still rooting around to look for my next snack.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Token said:

Anyone have any tips & tricks that work for them when you just cannot stop eating???  I'm having a bad few days and have been eating literally non-stop.  I even missed work today and just ate all day.  I'm not even hungry.  Hell, I've got massive acid reflux right now and I'm still rooting around to look for my next snack.

I have those days too and I'm not sure what causes them.  I suspect that medication causes mine, but, I can't prove it. lol 

These are some things that I have tried.  I try to prepare free or healthy foods and have them already sliced, diced and ready to eat in the fridge. Things like cucumber, celery, apples, pears, carrots, etc.  I cut them in small pieces, so, it takes longer to eat them.  I also keep low sodium chicken broth on hand, so, I can heat it up and sip on something that is warm and tasty, without too many calories.  I might take the shredded cheese and put a serving in a bowl and eat it one piece at a time. It takes longer to eat that way.  Plus, I try to drink as much water or low calorie beverage as possible.  Decaff coffee helps busy me too.  After I finish eating, I floss, then brush my teeth. It makes me less inclined to eat again. 

I've also tried cleaning house, going shopping or dancing at home. lol  Putting on some of my favorite music, puts me in a good mood.  Watching tv is not good, because that makes me more inclined to eat.     

And, I'm considering getting hypnosis to use as a tool as well.  It's not really in my budget right now, but, I intend to do it soon. 

• Love 2
On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎27 at 2:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I have those days too and I'm not sure what causes them.  I suspect that medication causes mine, but, I can't prove it. lol 

These are some things that I have tried.  I try to prepare free or healthy foods and have them already sliced, diced and ready to eat in the fridge. Things like cucumber, celery, apples, pears, carrots, etc.  I cut them in small pieces, so, it takes longer to eat them.  I also keep low sodium chicken broth on hand, so, I can heat it up and sip on something that is warm and tasty, without too many calories.  I might take the shredded cheese and put a serving in a bowl and eat it one piece at a time. It takes longer to eat that way.  Plus, I try to drink as much water or low calorie beverage as possible.  Decaff coffee helps busy me too.  After I finish eating, I floss, then brush my teeth. It makes me less inclined to eat again. 

I've also tried cleaning house, going shopping or dancing at home. lol  Putting on some of my favorite music, puts me in a good mood.  Watching tv is not good, because that makes me more inclined to eat.     

And, I'm considering getting hypnosis to use as a tool as well.  It's not really in my budget right now, but, I intend to do it soon. 

Those are some really good tips, thanks.  I really like the broth idea.

I wish I knew what caused my episodes.  I just get into these modes where I can't stop, even though I consciously want to.  It's bizarre when it happens.  I feel like a huge part of it for me is stress and, when it gets really bad, I start making decisions that are not in my best interest!  Too much eating and too much shopping is usually the result.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Token said:

Those are some really good tips, thanks.  I really like the broth idea.

I wish I knew what caused my episodes.  I just get into these modes where I can't stop, even though I consciously want to.  It's bizarre when it happens.  I feel like a huge part of it for me is stress and, when it gets really bad, I start making decisions that are not in my best interest!  Too much eating and too much shopping is usually the result.

I can relate.  I think that there are explanations for it, but, I'm no expert.  For me, I think it's a stress coping mechanism that also has components of habit. That's why I think that hypnosis will work for me.  There is something about getting and staying in the ZONE, that works.  If I get out of zone, which means very focused and not prone to feel the urge to overeat, I have to pull myself back into it. It can be challenging to figure out how to do it. 

Another idea that I can offer is that I pick one day per week, in which I have any treat that I want or meal that I want.  I don't eat a huge amount of food, but, what I do eat is what I want.  Like a desert or meal that has fried food or heavy in carbs or fat.  I just eat a normal amount to satisfy myself AND THEN resume healthy eating for the next week.   I can be more focused, if I know that at the end of the week, I'll have a treat.  I've done that and still lost over 50 pounds, so, it works for me. 

• Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 6:45 PM, Token said:

Honestly?  I clean (and organize) or worst case scenario I take a nap.  Its certainly not easy. 

• Love 1

Oh, Token, I thought of something else.   I have read that sometimes our bodies crave fats and that if we eat a low fat diet long term, we may need fat to help us feel satisfied.  I don't know if this is true, but, you might look into it.  I try to eat healthy fats like avocado, nuts, olive oil and fish like salmon.  

• Love 2