Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

I actually don't mind when people comment on my weight loss. In my head, 31 pounds sounds like a lot, but I honestly don't see much difference when I look in the mirror. I know I've lost weight because none of my clothes fit but I would have thought 31 pounds would have made a much more striking difference in the mirror, lol!

I just get annoyed when people either 1) quiz me incessantly because they don't believe eating less and working out more equals big weight loss and I must be holding back some secret trick, 2) want specific details on what I eat and exercise and then say it sounds way too hard to do and there must be an easier way, and 3) ask me what my goal weight is (I couldn't believe that one! I told her I'm not aiming for any specific number on the scale, which is true, but still.).

Don't get me wrong, there are only a few jerks in my large office, lol! Most people mean well, but I feel like there's a weird undercurrent in our society where others are just waiting for people who have lost weight to fall off the wagon and fail. Weight loss is hard and not everyone can do it.

• Love 3

In my head, 31 pounds sounds like a lot, but I honestly don't see much difference when I look in the mirror. I know I've lost weight because none of my clothes fit but I would have thought 31 pounds would have made a much more striking difference in the mirror, lol!

It can take a while for your brain to catch up with your body. Take measurements and photos—they'll show you your progress when you're not yet able to see it.

And set goals that have nothing to do with a number on the scale, like increasing strength or endurance.

• Love 2

Why does restaurant food have to be so salty?  It's that time of year when we're invited out to eat a lot and sometimes there's not much in the way of healthy choices.  Friday night, it was Chinese food (delicious, but extremely salty), last night a charity banquet that had a local restaurant catering (one meal only-no choices) and tonight, we're invited to dinner with my father in law and his brother at one of our favorite diners.  At least there, there are plenty of options, but still to order a salad when you're present with options like meat and potatoes, Italian, sandwiches, hamburgers, comfort food, etc?  Bleh. 

I know the weight gain is mostly from salt and will go away soon if I'm vigilant about my water intake and what I eat for the rest of the week, but it still bugs me. 

• Love 1

Restaurant food is full of fat, salt & sugar because it tastes good. The best you can do when you eat out is practice portion control.

The salt is noticeable, but the fat & sugar are sneaky. Baked potatoes (even if you ask for no butter) are rubbed with oil: http://www.copykat.com/2012/08/12/outback-steakhouse-baked-potato/

Carrots (which are naturally sweet) have lots of sugar & butter: http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/host-central/articles/bourdains-holiday-recipes

Edited by editorgrrl

Agreed.  I'm giving myself a solstice gift of about 4 pounds worth of compassion.  I don't know how many calories are in that cranberry bread I got as a present and I'm not trading baked brie for crudite.  I'll just try to eat only when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.  I'll get back on track after my New Years Day eggs benedict.

• Love 3

I've done really well so far--avoided 99% of holiday foods at the office and have stuck to my exercise routine. I will be taking Christmas Eve through 12/28 "off" as I'm traveling and celebrating with family, so I'm being really good up until then. I'm starting to hit a weight loss plateau so maybe a few days off and then startingup again will help kickstart my system back into gear?

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. I never, ever waste my calories on meh food, but I always fit small servings of my favorite treats into my calorie goal. Especially seasonal treats!

Deprivation can lead to bingeing. And maintaining during the holidays is a win in my book.

• Love 3

With that in mind, I will be upping the intensity of my workouts during this period:  three sets with weights instead of two, higher intensity aerobics, more time when I have it.  I know it won't completely balance the richer food but it couldn't hurt.  (Okay, so it does hurt a little but nothing aspirin won't fix.)

• Love 1

I'm starting to hit a weight loss plateau so maybe a few days off and then startingup again will help kickstart my system back into gear?

I've read that this works well. 

Also, I mentioned in an earlier post, if you're going to be eating out a lot during the holidays, steep a lemon wedge in hot water (I sweeten mine with a little raw honey) in the evenings and drink a lot of water during the day.  After a few days of this, you'll drop a lot in water weight, since the salt in restaurant food will cause water retention.

• Love 1

I started on a healthier path on 9/4. I had to write a paper for a health class and I took a look at how poor my health was and how it affected me physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. I decided to make some changes. I bought weights, started logging my calories with MyFitnessPal, and gave up soda. I love sports and being active, I just let apathy and depression keep me from it. I am now working out 4-5 days per week thanks to YouTube (FitnessBlender is amazing). I have cut down on everything: portions/following serving suggestions, calories, carbs, sugar, salt, and fat. I am also eating less red meat in favor of chicken and turkey. I swapped 2% milk for soy and have cut down on dairy, I probably love cheese too much. I bought a scale and now weigh out most foods for the sake of accuracy. 

My biggest problems are with evening/late snacking and sugar, I love chocolate. Luckily, there are so many healthier alternatives to chips and such. 100 calorie packs of sweets are a godsend. 

No one else in my house is doing this, so if they eat something unhealthy for dinner, I won't eat it and I'll make something else. It is difficult to stick to sometimes. I let myself "fall off the wagon" last week and only worked out two days. I ate way too much at a Christmas party on Saturday. I have been back on track for the most part since Monday, I worked out Mon/Tues/Weds and took yesterday off because of my birthday. I had way too much again. Clean slate today, gonna eat healthy and work out. 

Since I started, I've lost 16 lbs. My goal is 23. It feels amazing. The jeans I was wearing three months ago are too big now. I can now wear shirts that I "outgrew." I have so much more self-confidence and I'm much happier. I am glad that I went about this the right way so that I can be healthier in the long term and maintain these behaviors instead of doing some "crash diet." I am going to buy smaller clothes when I reach my goal, I can't wait.

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 7

As of today's weigh-in, I'm only 1.5 pounds away from losing 100 pounds since Feb 15, 2014.  I can't wait for next Friday to actually see it happen.  The next big marker will be entering Onederland!!

• Love 10

Having a u-shaped driveway is nice; I have my own personal running track. When I began walking in September, my legs were done in ~12 minutes. I jogged most of the 33 minutes that I was outside. Yay. I've been working out inside for the past two months and it was nice to get out, even if it's in the 20s. Time for a healthy dinner. :)

• Love 5

As of today I've lost 27 pounds. I think I look a lot better and attribute a lot of that to exercise. I'm more at my weight I was the great majority of my life so it's good to be back. I don't know what happened, but I went through a pretty serious "I don't give a damn" period. Hence the gain.

One person has mentioned it. One! Look, I got so desperate I flat out asked my sister if she could tell. Her answer was insightful. She said "yes, but we were supposed to do it together and I haven't so I guess I felt too shamed to say anything". She said others don't because they fear it implies I needed to lose weight. Makes sense I guess.

It doesn't bother me that people don't but it makes me think, am I crazy? I do look different, right? My clothes say I do, but not a peep from anyone so do I really look the same? Haha, we can't win in life, can we?

• Love 7
Having a u-shaped driveway is nice; I have my own personal running track.

I hear ya!  I live in an apartment building.  The hallway right outside my door is .12 of a mile for one full lap.  I walk out there all the time!  Sometimes when it's nice I'll walk outside but not often.  I love having that right there!  I can walk anytime of the day or night.

• Love 1

As of today's weigh-in, I'm only 1.5 pounds away from losing 100 pounds since Feb 15, 2014. I can't wait for next Friday to actually see it happen. The next big marker will be entering Onederland!!

This is incredible. I'm so proud of you! You clearly have been diligent in your efforts if it's since Februaury. That is such an accomplishment to keep on keepin on! Congratulations!

• Love 2
The hallway right outside my door is .12 of a mile for one full lap.

The hallway outside my office is about the same distance.  I get up from my desk about every 45 minutes and do a lap or 2, more if it's bad weather outside and I can't do my usual walk during lunch.  It's not my main form of exercise, but I like being able to get my body moving throughout the day.

• Love 2

So.far.off.the.reservation...

My daughter has been baking like a fiend.  I give most of it away, but, of course, we have to keep some of it here.  It's been tough to maintain these last 10 days or so. 

On another topic:  Good God, it doesn't take much soy sauce to make you retain water, does it?  Went out for sushi last night and all I had was a small cup of miso soup and a rainbow roll.  I very lightly dip into soy sauce because I really like the taste, but I know how bad it is and still I'm up quit a bit from yesterday.  Lots of water for me today.

My husband got me a Fitbit for Christmas, so I have been checking my steps about every 30 minutes. Yesterday was the first day I got above 10,000 steps, but it's also the first day we got out of the house since he gave it to me. We had to cut our Christmas visits short because the boy (3 years old) got the flu (and he did have the flu shot). (People keep telling me he should get the flu shot, like I'm too stupid to know that, or when I tell them I hope he didn't pass it to them, "Well, we got flu shots," in what they possibly don't mean to be a smug tone of voice, but is. I tell them the flu shot isn't the right strain this year. One woman -- a high school friend of my husband's -- told me he should get the kind that covers more strains. I said, "We got what was available." I was typing, so she couldn't hear my tone of voice. Probably good.) Anyway, after we got home, we stayed in for three days, so my walking was around the house, usually going back into rooms for stuff I forgot when I was there. There's one thing to say for a memory like a sieve. I get more steps in.

Anyway, Fitbit. Exercise. The last two days I've been walking in place while watching TV, but that gets boring, and it's freezing outside, so today I've been dancing to our ABBA channel on Pandora. I can do it for a max of only 5 minutes, though, because the way I dance is mostly jumping up and down. (I'm a bad dancer. Three-year-olds who say, "Dance with me, Mommy," don't care how badly you dance.)

• Love 3

so today I've been dancing to our ABBA channel on Pandora. I can do it for a max of only 5 minutes, though, because the way I dance is mostly jumping up and down. (I'm a bad dancer. Three-year-olds who say, "Dance with me, Mommy," don't care how badly you dance.)

auntlada, I think that sounds like a great way to exercise.  I'm a bad dance too, so I only dance alone, or occasionaly with my husband, who at least doesn't make fun of me. 

I've got an Up band (similar to a Fitbit) and you can set it to buzz you every 15 min to 2 hours to make sure you get up and move.  I have mine set at 45 minutes, so when it buzzes me I get up and walk to the end of the hall at my workplace, then turn around and come back.  It's 200 steps round trip.   It's not a lot of exercise, but it does get my heart pumping a little,  and keeps my joints from getting stiff.

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 1

Why did I just eat that slice of cheesecake?  Seriously, why didn't I just toss it?  Today was the day that most of the sweets were out of the house and I could get back on track, but did I throw out the left over cheesecake?  No....I took a slice and threw it back in the fridge.  To make matters worse, we're going out to dinner with my father in law tonight. 

Maybe I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Why did I just eat that slice of cheesecake? Seriously, why didn't I just toss it? Today was the day that most of the sweets were out of the house and I could get back on track, but did I throw out the left over cheesecake? No....I took a slice and threw it back in the fridge. To make matters worse, we're going out to dinner with my father in law tonight.

Maybe I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Because you're human. Because it's that time of year. I weighed today and am up 6 pounds from my lowest at the beginning of December. I worked out for 55 minutes after that, removed the DVD and poured myself a glass of red wine. Haha. But I tracked it ;)

I read something kind of good today. This is paraphrased. "Saying oh I've already ruined eating good today, I will just eat crap today, is like dropping your phone and then deciding to smash it into pieces". Kind of silly, but also a good point. We screw up, make mistakes and oops in lots of areas and don't say to heck with it. So here is to getting back on the horse in 2015 no matter the time of day.

• Love 6

"Saying oh I've already ruined eating good today, I will just eat crap today, is like dropping your phone and then deciding to smash it into pieces". Kind of silly, but also a good point. We screw up, make mistakes and oops in lots of areas and don't say to heck with it. So here is to getting back on the horse in 2015 no matter the time of day.

Great analogy!  My brother could never lose weight because he kept using that excuse.  I don't cheat like this often.  For the last year, I was maintaining and my weight would fluctuate between 133 and 136.  For the past two weeks, I've stayed at the top part of that spectrum, so I'm not going to beat myself up too much.  I'm just afraid of falling into a trap of thinking that I've done well so far, so I can cheat one more time!  Ugh.  Today, my own schedule, plus my gym class schedule gets back to normal, so, hopefully, I've escaped the trap, but we'll see.  Now, I just have to bring myself to throw away the cheesecake. 

• Love 1

Wow! 133 to 136 is awesome. For lots of reasons. My body is like hell no I won't go below 145 (lowest at beginning of Dec). I would love to be your weight and that is my goal. So go you!!! . I went to Ann Taylor two weeks ago and got size 8 pants and could have left singing a show tune I was so happy.

What sucks is I weighed anout 125 in high school and always felt fat because my clique was super skinny. They all wore 0 to a loose 2 and I was a 6 and felt like a whale. Wish I could go back in time and tell myself I was doing just fine.

We have a tendency to beat ourselves up and must stop. Be it cheesecake or not working out, we want to somehow punish ourselves. We need to say it's ok and stay the course. Hell, every person needs to indulge now and then and say that was amazing, now I'm back on track. And I'm ok.

• Love 7

What sucks is I weighed anout 125 in high school and always felt fat because my clique was super skinny. They all wore 0 to a loose 2 and I was a 6 and felt like a whale.What sucks is I weighed anout 125 in high school and always felt fat because my clique was super skinny. They all wore 0 to a loose 2 and I was a 6 and felt like a whale.

You shouldn't blame yourself so much as the fashion industry.  They've been using "new sizing" since the late 60s!  Women who were a size 16 (but otherwise normal height/weight) suddenly became size 10!  When the size zero and double zero turned up, I knew there were going to be a lot of frustrated women!  Those "00s" are in reality a size 8 or 10 in the old size numbers.  Of course those sizes were more likely to be determined by bust size rather than weight.

• Love 1

My mom told me about the sizing from when she was younger and how it had changed over the years. Talk unnecessarily frustrating a lot of people!

Wow! 133 to 136 is awesome. For lots of reasons. My body is like hell no I won't go below 145 (lowest at beginning of Dec). I would love to be your weight and that is my goal. So go you!!! . I went to Ann Taylor two weeks ago and got size 8 pants and could have left singing a show tune I was so happy.

Thanks!  And, I'm glad to hear that you left the store happy after buying a size 8--attitude is a big part of losing weight and maintaining.  (doesn't if feel wonderful!  I still feel such a sense of accomplishment when I look in the mirror).  I want to throw something out there that isn't meant to frustrate you--just keep it in the back of your mind should there come a time when you're ready to consider it:  I was down to 130 at my lowest.  But, I found that staying at 130 was not easy.  I kept fighting and fighting, but every time I'd gain a few pounds, getting back was a nightmare (getting there in the first place wasn't easy either).  Even now, I'm more often at 134-135 than the high and low end of my fluctuation scale.  I read somewhere that if you have to fight to keep your body at a certain weight, then maybe that's not the right weight for you.  I can tell you that, in my case, staying just a few pounds heavier is so much easier.  So, go for your goal--it's certainly not impossible.  But, if you find yourself trying everything, but it just doesn't seem to want to work, you may want to reconsider that goal.  You seem to have the right attitude, that's for sure  :)

• Love 2

I'm dogsitting for my aunt and I stupidly put all of my weights (set of 3s and 5s) in my duffel bag with my clothes and strained my lower back carrying it on Friday. I wanted to work out while I was here and my weights injured me. The irony. Don't know how long I'll be out of commission.

Ate right and worked out Monday and Tuesday, had fast food and junk Wednesday and Thursday. Indulged in peanut butter and crackers last night. Can't work out because of my back. Weighing in tomorrow will be fun...

We have a tendency to beat ourselves up and must stop. Be it cheesecake or not working out, we want to somehow punish ourselves. We need to say it's ok and stay the course. Hell, every person needs to indulge now and then and say that was amazing, now I'm back on track. And I'm ok.

This is so very true! I went totally off the rails diet-wise this past week and gained some weight back. But you know what? It was a good week and starting tomorrow, I will be back on track (and my intestines will thank me for it, too much rich food has them all confused, lol!).

• Love 2

Hello, friends:  the holidays are over and it's time to get back on track.  I put on about 3 pounds in the last month but given the bacchanalia December brings, it could have been much, much worse.  I made a Moroccan lentil and vegetable soup last night which I hope will keep me warm and full as the temperatures plunge this week.  (And biscuits and gravy but we won't get into that.)  I think I need to watch for some new recipes to make because while I found some good options in the last few months I'm really sick of all of them.

• Love 1

I put on about 3 pounds in the last month but given the bacchanalia December brings, it could have been much, much worse.

That's excellent!  I was at my lowest on the scale at the beginning of my kids two week vacation and am now at the high end, so about 3 lbs for me, too.  I finally threw out the entire half of a cheesecake and the homemade whipped cream that was left (but not before getting a fork and taking one last bite of each :).  Today, I"m back on it for good.

Kudos for trashing the cheesecake.  "Wasting" food was a cardinal sin in my family growing up so I still feel compelled to eat what I have even if it tastes bad or is bad for me.  I remember eating lunch out with a co-worker of mine who doused her dessert with black pepper when she had had enough.  I was flabbergasted but it certainly was effective.

• Love 2

Yay! It's a new year! Ha,ha,ha! 

I haven't worked out in longer than I care to admit, I've been eating like a damn pig and my weigh in this morning certainly reflected that. I'm back to working out and trying to eat right.I have two boys under the age of 6 that keep me on my toes but it is hard to get a workout in while they are home. I'm going to up my workouts to two 30 minute sessions a day and I'm going to go back to making two dinners a day. One for me, one for my family.(Fish allergies run amok in my house so I refrain from serving it to the others). Lots of green fresh veggies, fish and maybe some chicken on top of a bed of greens. Lunch, no more baked potatoes and back to veggies only. I've never been a breakfast eater but I'm wondering if I should try some home made smoothies or just keep not eating breakfast? 

I'm 5'7 and 156 pounds (Gasp!!!!!)! I've quit smoking and replaced it with eating obviously! I would like to have one more kid and before I do I need to be back to 130-135 pounds so the quicker (and safest) way to drop some pounds the better :)

• Love 1

Mountainair I've responded no less than 4 times with thoughtful words. My phone jacked me each time and I'm over it.

Your height/weight measurement gets a non audible breath much less a gasp. You sound amazing and what about quitting smoking? That is one of the hardest things to do and you did it! You belong in the don't beat yourself up category. Have that baby and love the child with everything you have.

• Love 3

Not working out in 9 days due to my injury has allowed me to mess with my eating habits. Gonna get back on track tomorrow and try some light strength training and cardio and some yoga to stretch out my back. I really do miss working out. 

ETA: I just bought the Misfit Flash fitness tracker for $30 on sale from Best Buy, I had a $25 gift card as a birthday gift. It will be here next week. I hope that it will further motivate me in the homestretch of reaching my goal weight.

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 1

Where I work they have an annual contest for runners where you can submit a story and company pays for you to go to Disneyworld for a marathon. Pays all the good stuff.

This year, a local guy (intl company) entered and his story was awesome. He got a Fitbit (assuming that's like what you purchased) and quit smoking and started running. His goal was the 10k steps a day. He's lost 80 pounds in a year. He put a pic of before and after with his 2 kids and it was unreal. He looks so in shape and amazing. And he won!

So utilize that thing and it will bring results! It works if you work it :)

• Love 2

Where I work they have an annual contest for runners where you can submit a story and company pays for you to go to Disneyworld for a marathon. Pays all the good stuff.

This year, a local guy (intl company) entered and his story was awesome. He got a Fitbit (assuming that's like what you purchased) and quit smoking and started running. His goal was the 10k steps a day. He's lost 80 pounds in a year. He put a pic of before and after with his 2 kids and it was unreal. He looks so in shape and amazing. And he won!

So utilize that thing and it will bring results! It works if you work it :)

That's a cool story. I've been losing weight without knowing my calorie burns, so that will be to nice gauge and keep track of. 

I'm so glad to have found this thread!. I'm current about 10 kg over my ideal weight. (I'm 5'1) I lost 3kg over the Christmas period.(I was 13 kg overweight). I signed up for the London marathon this year so I'm hoping to use that as extra motivation!

• Love 4

My new Misfit Flash fitness tracker syncs with MyFitnessPal! So cool!

B7Q22XCCQAAKsrx.jpg

Technology is amazing. Remember back in the day (unless dear reader is early 20s) we would eat, say a bean burrito and assume it was 130 calories? We had no clue and it was all guessing. There just isn't any excuse any longer. If a person has a smartphone (hell I'm typing this on one, imagine!) then the world is at their fingertips.

I went on a blind date last night. With a person I met from eharmony! It was so nice to go and not think "damn it, if I had just worked out or eaten right Id feel better". I have been doing that and it was so nice to wear fitted clothing and feel confident. I had a great time. Did he? I hope so but in the past few years I've lamented my weight with men and just nice to not have that on top of all the other natural anxieties. Inspires me to keep it up and not look back.

• Love 3

That's awesome, KnoxForPres! (I'm 24.) It is really nice to wear and buy smaller clothes that show off my long-lost curves and feel more confident and better about myself.

As of this morning, I reached another milestone. After the "holidaze" of fatty, rich party foods and hurting my back, I've been on track and I have now lost 20.9 lbs!!!!!!!! I was in the previous tens seemingly forever.

I am only 2.8 lbs away from my goal weight...! I am in the "homestretch" and it feels great. However, I want to stay on this path and never go back to being heavy. I love being active again, looking better, and feeling better than I have in years.

• Love 7

ShortyMac you are at such a great age. I'm proud of you for tackling it now and feeling good about yourself. While 24 is a wonderful age, it was that era I probably did my most self loathing. I wish I had bigger boobs, I wish I was a size two, etc. Looking back, I had it going on, lol! Boys, bars, work friends....enjoy it all and rock your clothes and curves and love every minute! It's well deserved!

• Love 3

ShortyMac you are at such a great age. I'm proud of you for tackling it now and feeling good about yourself. While 24 is a wonderful age, it was that era I probably did my most self loathing. I wish I had bigger boobs, I wish I was a size two, etc. Looking back, I had it going on, lol! Boys, bars, work friends....enjoy it all and rock your clothes and curves and love every minute! It's well deserved!

Thank you so much! :) I was the queen of self-loathing five months ago. I hated the way I looked and felt. I'm glad that I decided to do something about it; I have a much more optimistic outlook and it feels really good.

It's going to hit 40 degrees tomorrow, so I'll go for a run. I haven't done so in a few weeks. I ate really poorly on Tuesday and Wednesday and I've just plain been overeating (too many snacks) this week. I'm so close to my goal and now isn't the time to allow myself to slip up so much. I'm getting weary of having to obsess over food and everything I eat. It's hard to see the rest of my family enjoy eating pizza and Stouffer's dinners (I saw that the salisbury steak has 1,000 mg of sodium - one-thousand. It grossed me out, not to mention the fat content). I'll be lucky if I don't gain weight this week after a 0.2 lb gain last week. I've been good yesterday and today, just gonna give a good effort tomorrow and own my shortcomings. It's worth it in the end.

One of my favorite bloggers is doing a "losing weight on a budget" series this year.  Here are her first two posts on the topic in case anyone's interested:

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-series-introduction/

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-motivation-is-overrated/

Thanks for the links to that series. It was great. I'm recommending it to everyone I know who wants to lose weight. (Well, if they talk to me about wanting to lose weight -- I'm not just blurting it out to people. Except on Facebook. But people don't have to pay attention there, and I'm not mentioning names.)

• Love 2

Thank you so much! :) I was the queen of self-loathing five months ago. I hated the way I looked and felt. I'm glad that I decided to do something about it; I have a much more optimistic outlook and it feels really good.

It's going to hit 40 degrees tomorrow, so I'll go for a run. I haven't done so in a few weeks. I ate really poorly on Tuesday and Wednesday and I've just plain been overeating (too many snacks) this week. I'm so close to my goal and now isn't the time to allow myself to slip up so much. I'm getting weary of having to obsess over food and everything I eat. It's hard to see the rest of my family enjoy eating pizza and Stouffer's dinners (I saw that the salisbury steak has 1,000 mg of sodium - one-thousand. It grossed me out, not to mention the fat content). I'll be lucky if I don't gain weight this week after a 0.2 lb gain last week. I've been good yesterday and today, just gonna give a good effort tomorrow and own my shortcomings. It's worth it in the end.

Don't beat yourself up about eating bad. My grandmother and I ate and loved the fried chicken from Stouffers. We'd eat that and play spades; haha. I always ate the brownie raw, she did not.

I hate and kind of want to scream when I hear the dreaded "is that chocolate cake worth it". I think we should all enjoy a great meal and keep it in moderation Have more good days than bad.

Not sure anyone cared, but I'm going on my 4th date with aforementioned guy! He is 1.5 hrs away so makes it less frequent. He is pretty good,I like him.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 3

One of my favorite bloggers is doing a "losing weight on a budget" series this year.  Here are her first two posts on the topic in case anyone's interested:

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-series-introduction/

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-motivation-is-overrated/

I read all of this last night, it was really informative and motivating. Thanks for sharing.

Don't beat yourself up about eating bad. My grandmother and I ate and loved the fried chicken from Stouffers. We'd eat that and play spades; haha. I always ate the brownie raw, she did not.

I hate and kind of want to scream when I hear the dreaded "is that chocolate cake worth it". I think we should all enjoy a great meal and keep it in moderation Have more good days than bad.

Not sure anyone cared, but I'm going on my 4th date with aforementioned guy! He is 1.5 hrs away so makes it less frequent. He is pretty good,I like him.

Thanks for the support. I'm going to try to keep this in mind:

One popular idea among dieters is the “cheat meal” or “cheat day.” The philosophy is simple: eat healthy for most of your meals and then you can eat whatever you want for a meal or a day as a “cheat.”

While I think you should be able to enjoy foods you love in moderation, I propose we do away with the concept of the “cheat meal.” Here’s why.

Watching your Attitudes about Yourself

In the introduction post to this series, I shared my belief that a big part of your ability to lose weight has to do with your attitudes. So much of our success hinges on our ability to be kind to ourselves and develop a healthy relationship with food.

Simply put, the word “cheat” has negative connotations – that you’re doing something wrong.  You ate salad all week so now you can “cheat” by eating a double cheeseburger with fries on Sunday. Tell me, if you call that a “cheat” meal, are you truly going to enjoy it? Or, in the back of your mind are you going to feel a tinge of guilt, because you are “cheating?”

I think it’s time we stop assigning guilt to food like this, because ultimately it can cause us to have negative feelings about ourselves. If we are cheating on our diet, we must be cheaters.

• Love 3