Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

I like that advice.  I had a friend once who had the same attitude.  She told me that she refused to say she was going on a diet because it had the word "die" in it.  Like:  "This sucks!  I'm going to die!".  She said she wanted to lose weight by changing how she eats.    She said that she preferred to say that she was going on a "live-it".  Silly, but it was the mind set that worked for her. 

• Love 2

So, I've lost a total of about 35 lbs over several years. I've managed to keep it off by weighing myself daily and being careful about what I eat. And walking everyday. I still have a few pounds left to go - around 7 lbs, and I can't seem to get them off. I think sweets are what's holding me back. For whatever reason, I can't seem to forego the habit of having something sweet to finish a meal. Usually I just have one or two Hershey nuggets. Sometimes at night I might have a brownie or cookie or a bit of ice cream. I don't think I need to completely eliminate sweets but I'd like to make it a once-in-awhile thing instead of a daily thing. What do other people do to satisfy sweet cravings after a meal? I'm thinking something healthier like some fruit and yogurt might be a way to go, although I notice that yogurt can have quite a few calories also.

• Love 4

I eat yogurt for dessert, or a Skinny Cow fudge bar. (Which I first heard about over in the "Discontinued Foods You Miss" forum. Turns out they're nothing like Jell-o Pudding Pops, but I love 'em.)

For me, it's all about portion control. If I were to buy a pint of ice cream I'd eat the whole thing in a sitting. So I buy those teeny Haagen Dazs cups. (Then pretend I'm a giant eating an entire pint—I am such a dork.) And deprivation can lead to bingeing, so I eat a small piece of my favorite chocolate whenever I want.

• Love 5

Portion control is definitely important. I'm assuming that you know the calorie count of what you are eating and add it to your daily calorie intake?  Everyone's physiology is different, so perhaps it is the sweets, but for me, I never gave up sweets and I've taken off weight and have maintained for over a year now.  One thing I like to snack on to satisfy my cravings for sweets is a serving of Honey Nut Cheerios (just eat small amounts at a time so they last a little longer).

• Love 2

I too have to have dessert at lunch and dinner.  I've determined that a fun size 3 Musketeers or a few Hershey Kisses get me where I want to go for fewer calories than any baked good or ice cream.  For me, it's all about chocolate so yogurt or fruit wouldn't do it for me.

• Love 1

I need something sweet after a meal too, so I've switched to chewing gum after lunch and then I have a treat after dinner. Usually, low fat yogurt or something made by Skinny Cow (I love the caramel chocolates). Just something where I can calculate the calories accurately.

I suppose I've been thinking about this because of The Great British Bake Off, and how much I would like, every once in awhile, to have a decent-sized piece of cake (for example). Then I was thinking that if I were to eliminate the everyday small sweets I could instead have a normal-sized indulgence every couple of weeks or so. I wonder how some of the contestants on that show stay thin with all the baking they do.

• Love 1

I wonder how some of the contestants on that show stay thin with all the baking they do.

You maintain weight by eating close to the same number of calories as you burn—whether it's baked goods or kale chips.

Okay, spring is here or so they tell me so I'm back on the wagon.  That 3 - 4 pounds grace I gave myself over the holidays turned into more like 7 so April will be detox month.

I hear you, Qoass! While I've kept up the exercise all this time, I've recently let my diet get a little lax for a few weeks. I've used the excuse that I had to change my thyroid meds and went a little hypo, so I was craving bad foods (which is all true), but it's time to get back on the wagon.

I've fallen off in a terrible way.  Well, terrible meaning a gain of 2 pounds, but...I'd really prefer to be going in the opposite direction!  I've still been exercising somewhat regularly and trying to watch what I eat, but I obviously need to get back in the pattern of tracking my calories and making exercise a top priority.

• Love 1

That's what I'm doing again and just like before the holidays I dropped a bunch of weight right away and now it's all I can do to break even despite my efforts to stay the course.

That's what I'm doing again and just like before the holidays I dropped a bunch of weight right away and now it's all I can do to break even despite my efforts to stay the course.

When you start eating at a deficit, you lose a lot of water weight. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.

Take measurements and progress photos, too. They'll show you your progress when the scale is being a lying liar who lies.

• Love 1

Oh, I know it was all water.  It felt good to get rid of the bloat.  I'm not overweight, just looking to get rid of two or three pounds now so I'll shut up.  I just find it best to stomp down that little gain before it becomes a new pants size.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

Take measurements and progress photos, too. They'll show you your progress when the scale is being a lying liar who lies.

I'm a firm believer in progress photos. Sometimes even measurements aren't enough, because exercise is tightening things up, but not really making anything smaller, if that makes sense. And smartphone cameras have made it easy and discreet to do.

In trying to get back on the overall health bandwagon. Urmph. I hate making time for exercise, so I'm giving myself the extra incentive of earning money for charity using an app I found called "Charity Miles". Basically you turn it on when you run/walk/bike, and it uses your phone's GPS to track your miles. You can pick from a variety of reputable charities, and different corporations "sponsor" you with a donation - 25 cents per mile for runners and walkers, and ten cents for cyclists. So now if I don't go for a walk I feel like I'm letting down my favorite charities! :-)

• Love 3

I'm a firm believer in progress photos. Sometimes even measurements aren't enough, because exercise is tightening things up, but not really making anything smaller, if that makes sense. And smartphone cameras have made it easy and discreet to do.

Maybe I need to do this for my husband. The first week he lost 2 pounds, which I told him was a good amount for a week, but the second week, according to the scale, he gained 5 pounds -- except his clothes fit better, so I don't think he really did. I told him it was probably water, since he's not really doing a lot of strength exercises yet. I don't know what it is, but water sounded good.

• Love 1

I've told him that and that he doesn't want to lose too much too fast, but he gets discouraged easily. And he's very overweight.

He's always said he's tried everything and just can't lose weight, but (in my opinion) most of the times he's tried stuff, he hasn't tried very hard. He hasn't kept track of what he's eating and doesn't realize how much he's eating, and I've tried not to point it out and not to nag and just let him work it out on his own. But he's started tracking his food in earnest now and tracking his exercise and trying to walk even if he can't walk to work.

I think he gets discouraged at me, too. I don't lose weight easily, but I only have 20 pounds or so to lose. I've always just been naturally smaller so even when I'm overweight, I'm a lot smaller. I am overweight, but it's harder to tell in clothes. (Also, I am fortunate to have someone who thinks I look great even when I don't.) And because of my personality, I worker harder -- for at least a couple of months before I get bored and do something else.

• Love 2

I think it makes it twice as hard to get into shape when you're comparing yourself to another person. We're all different, esp. men vs. women! I'm struggling right now just to maintain my weight loss due to continuing hypothyroid issues, so it can get discouraging, but I know that eventually I'll get my medicine dialed in right and continuing to exercise and eat right now will pay off in the end. But it still sucks to not see the scale moving.

One thing that really helps me is a food scale. It really helped me control my calories--I was amazed how much I was really eating compared to what I thought I was before I got the scale. Maybe that would help your husband, auntlada?

• Love 1

He just bought a food scale. I've been wanting one but never wanted to spend the money. He just went ahead and bought one and then told me, which I think is a good sign that he is really going to watch what he eats and maybe quit snacking. He would eat supper, which I tried to make healthy, and then make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It always frustrated me, but I didn't want to say anything and make him feel bad. He already thinks he looks awful. He doesn't need to think I think that (which I don't -- I just worry about his health).

I totally understand not wanting to nag your partner. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn, but it's human nature to underestimate your intake & overestimate your burns. So it takes a whole lot of trial & error until you find that "sweet spot" where you're truly eating at a deficit.

I can't say enough good things about MyFitnessPal for tracking your food (it's free) and Fitbit activity trackers (they start at $60, but people who've given up on their New Year's resolutions are probably selling theirs on Craigslist, eBay, etc.). MFP + Fitbit helped me lose the weight and keep it off for almost ten months now. 

• Love 1

Hurray for the mindful eating & increased exercise (and for the resulting weight loss), but I thought cholesterol is more about genetics than diet?

Not that you shouldn't try to lower it by eating fewer animal products—just that you shouldn't blame yourself if it doesn't work. I have a vegan friend who takes cholesterol meds. (Actually, he's a lactose intolerant vegetarian.)

I'm almost 5'2" and small-boned, too! I don't eat mammals, but it's more about taste than health or ethics.

Learning to log my food accurately & honestly was a huge wake-up call. But knowledge = power, and self-knowledge can literally change your life.

Incidentally, until I turned 30, I had what you'd call "fast metabolism," meaning I could eat and eat and rarely gain weight. All through school, I was actually a little underweight, but as with most people, I found that middle age and (more importantly) making poor dietary choices and sitting in front of a computer all day helped the pounds to pile on.

Me too. In college, I was on the track and cross country teams and ran 6-8 miles a day. I ate everything I could get my hands on. At 5'3" I weighed about 110 pounds. Then I graduated, quit running and walking everywhere but kept eating. By 30, I was up to 125 or so. After 30, it got worse. When I was really losing and doing well, at 42, I got pregnant. Since then, it has been very difficult. I have to track food and exercise now, which I never did before really.

On that note, can I just say how tired I am already of the articles about how great what's-her-name looks when she just had a baby? Prince William's wife. She married British royalty. Her primary job is to produce an heir and look good, isn't it? Unlike us poor schlubs who don't have anyone but us to get up in the middle of the night every night and still be awake all day. (If it's newer than a couple hundred years old, I don't care much about royalty.)

• Love 3

Just thought I'd share: I completed the London Marathon in 4 hr and 30 mins!!!! (managed to tear a muscle in my foot along the way, and had to hobble but still)

Great job!  That's a great time.  Running a marathon is on my bucket list, I've down a few halfs before.  I just don't have the time to fit in running (doing crossfit and biking) now.  Reading all these posts for inspiration.  Exercise is not a problem for me, its diet.  1) I don't like to cook.  2) Single portion sizes feel like a snack to me, not a meal.  3) I have a huge sweet tooth and love having something sweet after a meal, especially dinner.

Started a food diary yesterday and am trying to mix a few frozen meals into my day.  I know they aren't ideal, but they are nicely portioned.  I'm eating them with a side of salad/veggies to keep fuller.

• Love 1

The only sweet I eat these days is the hersheys kisses that I get once a week from my C-care nurse. Any other eatables that have sugar are a complete no-no. Just like forumfish, I too have a family history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, and I never really payed any attention to it during my early days. Met with a road accident 7 years back, and been on a wheelchair since then. Need C-care for my meds and physiotherapy since then (I’m from Canada, and C-care is a home care service in Toronto). I bulk up from time to time, so I just get on a diet for a month or two for a while.

Good news/bad news for me.   My last post on Dec 14th I was at 204.6   Since then I started slacking.   Not tracking calories and feeling like I could manage myself without it, lots of work drama* and the very early arrival of summer which made working out seem like no fun at all.  I lrealized I was making backwards progress but kinda stuck my head in the sand instead of facing it.  When I finally weighed in it was around 215.  Starting last Monday I bit down and made the decision to get on the right track.  Back to calorie tracking and plenty of exercise.  I'm having trouble meeting calorie goals, but at least I'm making improvement.  I've worked out 4 days this week, even on a Friday evening when I really wanted to just start my weekend.  Already down 1 pound.   Hopefully I can keep this up!  

*Luckily, I got out of that workplace and into a much better situation.  The downside is that now instead of being active at work all day, I'm sitting at a desk and computer for 8 hours a day.  I make sure to walk around as much as possible on my breaks.  Also I work slightly less hours with a set schedule so I'm able to exercise consistently and plan/make healthy meals.  Also I don't end up coming home from work so exhausted, which means I actually have the motivation to work out.

• Love 5

I've been really putting some effort into my weight loss this time.  Because I used to eat on the run a lot (in part due to working odd hours), I went with prepared meals.  I used Metabolic Meals and they're pretty good.  They're a bit expensive but so far it's worth it.  I am always eating the right food in the right amounts and they're prepared to help speed up the metabolism so you have to eat the meals in the prescribed order.

I'm also taking supplements - although I was taking several of them before I began this latest eating plan.  I also take a drink of apple cider vinegar 2-3 times daily, which helps in many different ways.

I bought some exercise DVDs but I hadn't really used them - I think it's time I busted them out more regularly. 

So far in 6 weeks I lost 30 pounds!

• Love 1

I've been really putting some effort into my weight loss this time. Because I used to eat on the run a lot (in part due to working odd hours), I went with prepared meals. I used Metabolic Meals and they're pretty good. They're a bit expensive but so far it's worth it. I am always eating the right food in the right amounts and they're prepared to help speed up the metabolism so you have to eat the meals in the prescribed order.

I'm also taking supplements - although I was taking several of them before I began this latest eating plan. I also take a drink of apple cider vinegar 2-3 times daily, which helps in many different ways.

I bought some exercise DVDs but I hadn't really used them - I think it's time I busted them out more regularly.

So far in 6 weeks I lost 30 pounds!

My goodness, that's fantastic! Huge self discipline, which isn't easy, has paid off in spades for you! I'm really proud of you.

I had lost down to my ideal and in the last six months or so, ten pounds has crept back on. In a larger sense of trying to "live more fulfilled", I've recognized how much happier I am when I exercise and eat right. And I do DVDs at home too. My favorite being The Firm series.

I will vow to do it 4 times this week if you (or anyone else) want to. It helps me mentally to exercise, which I need right now and recognize. So if you want to join, I'd love to have a virtual friend or two. I weighed yesterday and was 10 up so will eat right and exercise and weigh next Sat.

You're already doing it, so you will be my inspiration!

Edited by KnoxForPres

I've lost 40 pounds over the last year (I should have lost twice as much as that, but damn thyroid problems are still being worked on so my metabolism is slower than normal) and kept it off. I'm up to swimming 4 times a week now, so KnoxForPres, you can do it!

• Love 1

I've lost 40 pounds over the last year (I should have lost twice as much as that, but damn thyroid problems are still being worked on so my metabolism is slower than normal) and kept it off. I'm up to swimming 4 times a week now, so KnoxForPres, you can do it!

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), but I lost the weight—and kept it off. So emma675, you can do it!

My goodness, that's fantastic! Huge self discipline, which isn't easy, has paid off in spades for you! I'm really proud of you.

Thanks KnoxForPres!   For me it was a complete 180 turn.  I eat the prepared meals 5 days a week (my work meals) and try to eat right on weekends.  I rarely eat starches (I have heard of people having issues with gluten even if they don't have Celiac's Disease) and avoid fast food (aka, anything that comes in a box).  I also don't each much fruit either - to avoid sugar.   It goes without saying that I drink water or seltzer instead of soda (then again, I rarely drank soda anyway, juice was often my problem).

Admittedly, some of my issues were emotional - I really had a huge weight gain 4 years ago after my mom died.  I tried to think if she could see me now, so unhappy, what would she say?  Obviously, she wouldn't want me to be this way - then I had to convince myself I didn't want to be this way either.

I've been reading up on supplement use (not just for weight loss, but for other potential issues), and for a sluggish thyroid, three herbs came up:

• Solaray brand Yerba Mate - 500mg/per 100lbs of body weight

• Solaray brand Bladderwrack  -  580 mg per 50lbs of body weight

• Solaray Licorice Root  - 450mg/per 50lbs of body weight

I bought the first edition of the book and it did work wonders for me.  Best thing is that the author (a biochemist) isn't afraid to name names.  Many other supplement books I'd read often mention using an herb for a specific issue but never specify which brand (since so many brands vary in quality).  Not every herb supplement comes from the same manufacturer.

I want to 2nd something a poster mentioned above. Don't compare your progress or your shape to anyone else. Even if their the same height/build. Especially if the person is famous or in a fitness magazine.

I started the HCG diet. Not injections, just the sublingual drops. I'm doing a 42 day round. And it will probably take 3 cycles to get the weight off since my metabolism is shot to hell.

It's not easy and it's a pain in the ass. For example, I was on phase 2 (500 calories or less) for 2+ weeks and spilled my drops. Now that I have to wait 10 days for shipping, I have to start over. There's no way to avoid gaining weight back over these 10 days. I've been advised to eat normal. If I stick to the 500 calorie diet, I risk starvation mode. Not that I believe in starvation mode due to past experience. But my metabolism is whacked. I haven't been able to lose any other way.

If I could afford injections (real HCG), I'd go that route. But clinics and doctors fees are ridiculously expensive. So far, the drops and protocal helped me drop 17 pounds in 15 days. But I have a lot to lose (50 lbs) and the loss per day will slow down substantially.

Edited by turbogirlnyc

Admittedly, some of my issues were emotional - I really had a huge weight gain 4 years ago after my mom died. I tried to think if she could see me now, so unhappy, what would she say? Obviously, she wouldn't want me to be this way - then I had to convince myself I didn't want to be this way either.

Indeed, when crisis hits we want to say screw it all. Sounds like you have a great plan in place to fight this.

I'm down six so four to go! Using you all as inspiration!

Update:

I'm still on Metabolic Meals and keeping up with almost totally omitting starches (except sweet potatoes) and supplements (cinnamon, et al).  I've lost 40 lbs since August! 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

I've maintained my 35 pound loss for over a year now and lost 5 more in the last few weeks. However, I have to have minor neck surgery in two weeks and I'm not sure how long I will not be allowed to exercise afterwards. I'm a little worried about gaining back some weight, esp. with the holidays coming up, too. Anyone have any tips for keeping stable while not being allowed to exercise?

I wish I had some concrete advice for you, emma675, but all I can think of is to count calories and keep them lower than usual.  Also, maybe you'll be able to exercise a little bit in your chair/bed.  Leg raises, bicep curls with some kind of weight, stomach crunches (easy ones that don't require your head to come up too far) with your arms crossed in front of your shoulders so there is no strain on your neck. Or by lifting your legs instead with your upper body staying flat.  With any luck, after a few days, you'll be able to walk around the neighborhood.  Any kind of movement would be better than nothing. 

I wish you luck. I, too, have maintained a significant weight loss for a couple of years and I've wondered, on occasion, how I would keep it off if I was ever injured for an extended period of time.  It's a bit scary.  Let us know how it goes. 

• Love 1

I've maintained my 35 pound loss for over a year now and lost 5 more in the last few weeks. However, I have to have minor neck surgery in two weeks and I'm not sure how long I will not be allowed to exercise afterwards. I'm a little worried about gaining back some weight, esp. with the holidays coming up, too. Anyone have any tips for keeping stable while not being allowed to exercise?

Wonderful progress! I think you've received some excellent advice and will be fine. Be mindful of what you eat and it should be a non issue.

So I'd developed some really had habits. Like I was eating fast food, ordering pizza, sitting on my ass etc. Was kind of in a mental slump too.

I decided I had to do drastic. My fitness pal and calorie counting wasn't working because I wasn't adhering.

So I mess around on my phone a few weeks ago and stumbled across the Paleo diet. Which I had heard of, but didn't now much about. In a nutshell it's no grains, dairy, or sugar. So essentially hell, right?

I'm in my fourth week and love it. I'm down about 10 pounds. The weirdest part for me is that I've had no cravings, really. I freaking love food. But I just eat meat and vegetables mostly now so I care less about it. The obsession is gone, if you will.

I started saying I'd do it for 30 days, but lo and behold I've liked it enough I want to implement into my day to day life. This is the equivalent of me saying I will become a Martian and visit Saturn. It makes no sense to me,

I recommend it to anyone. I seriously wondered if my body would go into convulsions with no cheese. I have not nor ever will utter the sentence "this has too much cheese".

And here I am. It's the damnedest thing. In a way I feel like my body is rewarding me for cutting it out. Because I should be shooting melted Velveeta intravenously at this point and I'm not.

• Love 1

I'm a little worried about gaining back some weight, esp. with the holidays coming up, too. Anyone have any tips for keeping stable while not being allowed to exercise?

I recommend cinnamon.  I use this brand (which also has milk thistle for the liver), but you can also get this brand which you should be able to find at any drug store.  If not, it's definitely available online.  Make sure to take it about 20 minutes before a meal (and if you feel your sugar to be particularly high due to all the holiday sweets, take two capsules before bedtime).  It will help regulate your pancreas' insulin production so the sugar you take in doesn't turn into fat.  The trouble is we depend on sugar for energy when we should be burning fat for energy.

For exercise, I recommend DDP Yoga - which will be a good way to get workouts in that are short but effective and can be done at home. 

• Love 1

magicdog, that's so funny, I already use and love cinnamon! I don't have hypoglycemia but I get very similar symptoms with blood sugar and cinnamon has helped even those out. I didn't think about taking more if I have a lot of sugar, so that's something to think about.

I'm glad I found this thread.  I've been yo-yo dieting for decades now and completely gave up trying to lose weight a few months ago.  And I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been.  That was not a fun number to see on the scale!!  But reading this has made me want to try one last time to lose weight and become fit.  I miss those brief times I had where I felt fit and healthy; I want to feel like that again.  Tomorrow, I will weigh in a work on some goals.

• Love 3

289.6lbs.  Which is better than my weight 3 weeks ago, 291.8lbs.  I feel like my life, and weight, have just got really out of control in the past year.  My weight has always been an issue, but I've never been this heavy before.  I've always wanted to weigh 155lbs, that's my goal, and I'm setting a goal date of New Year's Eve 2016... I want to wake up and be 155 to start 2017!

Any advice gladly taken.  I'm quite the emotional eater and definitely lack willpower when that little voice pops in my head & starts telling me that it's okay to eat that entire cake because I've been good all week... and that completely derails me.

I've always wanted to weigh 155lbs, that's my goal

It's good to have goals, Canada but make sure 155lbs is the right weight for your body type.  Take your thumb and forefinger of your left hand and put it around your right wrist.  If you can't make them touch, that makes you a large frame.  155lbs might be too low - depending on weather or not you'll gain muscle weight after losing the fat (fat weighs less than muscle).  I have a large frame so I can weigh a bit more and not resemble the fat lady attraction at the circus.   If you're petite and/or have a small or medium frame (thumb and forefinger can touch) then your weight is meant to be less.  Heaven knows I was chasing a figure (135lbs) since I was a teenager - only to realize it was too low for my frame.

• Love 2

I'm setting a goal date of New Year's Eve 2016... I want to wake up and be 155 to start 2017!

Any advice gladly taken. I'm quite the emotional eater and definitely lack willpower when that little voice pops in my head & starts telling me that it's okay to eat that entire cake because I've been good all week... and that completely derails me.

Set a realistic goal. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Learn to log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

If what you're feeling isn't hunger, food won't make you feel any better. Make a list of non-food ways to self-soothe. (Mine includes everything from guilty pleasure TV to getting a massage.)

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Huh.  Just tried the wrist thing and I guess I have a large frame.  I never thought I did.  Isn't it possible I just have short fingers?

All the best, Canada.  You've got a great group of people here pulling for you.

• Love 1

I've always wanted to weigh 155lbs, that's my goal, and I'm setting a goal date of New Year's Eve 2016... I want to wake up and be 155 to start 2017!

Set a realistic goal. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.

I wanted to add that, while I understand the "go for it!" mentality, you might want to not set a time frame--not only can it frustrate you (because plateaus will happen), but with no time frame, you can still enjoy "cheats" (within reason) without feeling guilty about possibly setting yourself back.  Also, the longer you take, the more of a habit it will become to eat right.

Like editorgrl said--few calories in and more calories burned.  Here's what helped me:

1.  Read labels:  You'll be shocked at how many calories you are consuming that you never realized!  You'll also be shocked by how many calories are in such small portions with some food.

2.. Measure/weigh your portions.

3.  While in the beginning, you may want to hold off on the high calorie/carb foods--especially those you love---until you are sure you can handle eating a small portion of them, don't deprive yourself of you favorite foods.  Portion control and calorie count is the key!

4.  Exercise.  I started off walking a short distance, then when that distance started to feel easy, I'd extend it a few extra blocks and so on and so on until I could walk for an hour.  After that, I joined a gym and fell in love with Zumba and Body Pump (weights).

5.  If you like to snack while watching tv at night, pick some treats, figure out the calories/portions and subtract them from an earlier meal.

6.  If you start to feel hungry not long after you ate, drink a big glass of water and see if that helps (many times it will).  If not, snack on veggies.

Finally:  The first week to 10 days is the hardest. Just make yourself get through it the best you can.  After that, make yourself continue reading/counting/measuring for 3-4 weeks and, after that, it will become second nature--you won't even think about it, you'll just do it.

If what you're feeling isn't hunger, food won't make you feel any better. Make a list of non-food ways to self-soothe. (Mine includes everything from guilty pleasure TV to getting a massage.)

For me, nothing works better than coloring.  I got one of those grown up coloring books (very beautiful and detailed pictures) and time passes really fast when I concentrate on that!

Good luck, Canada, and keep checking  in with us!

• Love 3