Type keyword(s) to search

Weight Loss Support Group!

• Start Topic

Has anyone tried juicing? I'll admit, I don't get enough fruits and veggies in me as I should; it's hard, I'm not a big fan. A new juice bar has opened up on my way to work and they have all different kinds of juices that are cold pressed and local produce. I'm tempted to try it, it seems like an easy way to get some extra greens and fruits in me without having to force myself to choke down veggies I don't like.

My brother did juicing a few years ago. Him & his then wife lost some serious weight in a respectable amount of time & his blood pressure improved dramatically. 

He still does it a couple days a week and if his bp or weight tick up again. 

I have a nutribullet (aka the bass-o-matic) that I use to make a juice drink - blend of baby spinach/swiss chard/kale, couple of oranges and a bit of fresh ginger. Awful color but oddly addictive. 

I use the nutribullet for a lot of things, but if used for juicing you get all the fiber too. Plus, I just buy a ready mix pack of the greens, a bag of oranges & some ginger which is not a big cost commitment. Plus, my son uses the nutribullet for making fruit smoothies on a regular basis.

Give the juice place a try, but going that route will add up. Juicer's aren't cheap and buying the components in quantities enough for a serious commitment is time sensitive & can be time consuming. 

• Love 3
On May 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Gosh, I hope that's not the case, but sometimes I give people the benefit of the doubt to a fault.

I was in San Francisco last week on a business trip. I was able to stay the course all day. Hit the gym in the mornings, usual fruit and coffee (with half and half, NEED half and half in my coffee) for breakfast, and I had no problems picking out really good choices from the lunches at my conference. But dinner... It was the wine. The delicious, California, expensive, paid for by somebody else wine that got me. And to be honest, great wine and/or great beer is one of my bad habits that I'm most proud of turning into properly portioned.  

I have been fine since I got home, but it was SO easy to lose my focus. Scary.

Of course it is easy and it works better when you admit it as you have done. I spent 9 days in Louisiana, the land of some of the best food on earth. But one thing I've grown to notice was the lack of vegetables. It's gumbo, gator, fish, shrimp, desserts and daiquiris. Yes, drive-thru Daiquiri bars. So this time I took a few items like avocados, coconut milk, my own brand of salt and some veggies I'd frozen. Then, on top of that, much of it is fried. So, I only gained 4 pounds on this year's visit because I declined several dishes (actually most of the fried things didn't appeal to me) and because I ran at least two miles every morning.  And passing on the alcohol was easy enough because I haven't incorporated it back into my lifestyle. Love beer, daiquiris and margaritas.

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Has anyone tried juicing? I'll admit, I don't get enough fruits and veggies in me as I should; it's hard, I'm not a big fan. A new juice bar has opened up on my way to work and they have all different kinds of juices that are cold pressed and local produce. I'm tempted to try it, it seems like an easy way to get some extra greens and fruits in me without having to force myself to choke down veggies I don't like.

I used juicing for a while at the beginning of my lifestyle change. It works for the most part but I love veggies and fruits are a weakness. There are so many options for preparation it would enhance your meals to look up some recipes. One interesting thing I recently learned about juicing... in a documentary about sugar it was shown that eating the fresh fruit in the normal way was better for digestion and liver health. When we drink the juice or use the fruit in a juice it goes straight to our livers where it like a direct shot. The sudden impact produces the fatty liver situation. But when we eat fruit by chewing the fresh fruit it does in much slower and gives our system the chance to take it in much slower, which doesn't trigger the liver into action trying to store it in order to process it later.

• Love 2

Well, I have had a delightful last couple of weeks full of parties and get-togethers and now I am five pounds heavier than usual so I'll have to put the brakes on for a bit.  Today is day one and wouldn't you know I just got the memo for the office ice cream sundae party.  It's not until next month so I hope I'll be in a better position to splurge by then.

2 hours ago, Qoass said:

Of course, but I don't want to say no!  Thank you!

I asked because I have been in those situations. A local yogurt business hosted an event at the college and since I was Admin to the CEO and the CEO was there, I felt the pressure to not stand out. But most times it is very easy to say no.

• Love 1

Gotcha.  Fortunately, I maintain my weight pretty easily but sometimes when I'm having too much fun in life, it nudges up a bit.  If I nip that in the bud now, I can enjoy sundaes later.

• Love 3

Six weeks since my last update.

So... I'm within striking distance of what I set for my goal. Like 5 pounds to go.  And it's pretty clear that I'm definitely within the range of what is normal for somebody my height and age.

But it's also pretty clear to me that I'm not done. I guess I forgot that I'm not 23 anymore, and that I might not be carrying the same amount of muscle mass I did back then when I came up with my target number.  Heh. Let's call adding in some substantial muscle mass "Phase 2".

And you know what? I'm okay with this. I was within a few days of guessing that I would hit my goal weight by July 4th, so I see no reason to feel bad about setting a second goal that I would expect to achieve by later in the summer.  I've come this far. I need to finish the actual job. My goals was not just to be less fat, but rather to be fit.  Looks like another 10-15 past original number. At this point, I'd like to think I can do that standing on my head. Just keep up the same eating plans, up the cardio a little bit, and see if I can do something that encourages me to keep going.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Six weeks since my last update.

So... I'm within striking distance of what I set for my goal. Like 5 pounds to go.  And it's pretty clear that I'm definitely within the range of what is normal for somebody my height and age.

But it's also pretty clear to me that I'm not done. I guess I forgot that I'm not 23 anymore, and that I might not be carrying the same amount of muscle mass I did back then when I came up with my target number.  Heh. Let's call adding in some substantial muscle mass "Phase 2".

And you know what? I'm okay with this. I was within a few days of guessing that I would hit my goal weight by July 4th, so I see no reason to feel bad about setting a second goal that I would expect to achieve by later in the summer.  I've come this far. I need to finish the actual job. My goals was not just to be less fat, but rather to be fit.  Looks like another 10-15 past original number. At this point, I'd like to think I can do that standing on my head. Just keep up the same eating plans, up the cardio a little bit, and see if I can do something that encourages me to keep going.

That is so cool. How did you do that?

What about strength training? And cardio eats up muscle so losing the weight will kind of mess with your muscle mass. A great thing about weight training is that it revs your metabolism and will help your body continue to burn fat even while at reast.

3 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

That is so cool. How did you do that?

What about strength training? And cardio eats up muscle so losing the weight will kind of mess with your muscle mass. A great thing about weight training is that it revs your metabolism and will help your body continue to burn fat even while at reast.

I kind of knew that actual weight training should have been a bigger part of the plan, but this is a whole process that has been something I tackled on my own terms with what I knew I was capable of doing. I've picked it up a little recently, but the way my life works makes the commitment to external gym time difficult.  Whereas riding an exercise bike for 30-60 minutes a day in my own home while doing laundry or making sure kids are showering is easy.

So to answer your question, it was an emotional problem and a math problem.

I solved the emotional problem (meaning that I became fiercely determined to stop being overweight) by getting angry. And I'm not a person who has a lot of anger, so it was a powerful emotion to latch onto for me.  I looked at the bottom of my pants, saw that they were frayed and said, "I am NOT buying another pair of pants in this size." This stuff is tied directly a couple other things that I also reached a end to allowing, so there was a lot of internal motivation to make some changes.

And I solved the math problem by using Weight Watchers and a FitBit to figure out what it means to consume fewer calories than I burn.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I kind of knew that actual weight training should have been a bigger part of the plan, but this is a whole process that has been something I tackled on my own terms with what I knew I was capable of doing. I've picked it up a little recently, but the way my life works makes the commitment to external gym time difficult.  Whereas riding an exercise bike for 30-60 minutes a day in my own home while doing laundry or making sure kids are showering is easy.

So to answer your question, it was an emotional problem and a math problem.

I solved the emotional problem (meaning that I became fiercely determined to stop being overweight) by getting angry. And I'm not a person who has a lot of anger, so it was a powerful emotion to latch onto for me.  I looked at the bottom of my pants, saw that they were frayed and said, "I am NOT buying another pair of pants in this size." This stuff is tied directly a couple other things that I also reached a end to allowing, so there was a lot of internal motivation to make some changes.

And I solved the math problem by using Weight Watchers and a FitBit to figure out what it means to consume fewer calories than I burn.

Can"t say enough how awesome all that is!

• Love 2

Teared up a little when the Weight Watchers app gave me a virtual confetti celebration for hitting my goal.

And then an hour later, I set a new goal for another 10 pounds, which seems like might be the right final number now that I see what this one looks like.  For some reason, I'm starting to think this next level is going to take a lot of work.  But I do know that when I hit it, I might actually have pants that sit on me correctly (as it's SO close right now, but I'm still walking around hiking them up.)

• Love 6
On 7/19/2016 at 8:32 AM, JTMacc99 said:

But I do know that when I hit it, I might actually have pants that sit on me correctly (as it's SO close right now, but I'm still walking around hiking them up.)

I gotta say, the only negative to losing a bunch of weight is spending a ton of money on new clothes. Especially when you have to do it incrementally because that's all you can afford.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I gotta say, the only negative to losing a bunch of weight is spending a ton of money on new clothes. Especially when you have to do it incrementally because that's all you can afford.

I was JUST doing that today.  I'm looking at myself in these slim fit pants (LOL, me and slim fit in the same sentence) and black polo shirt and thinking that I need to get another version of it because a couple of the pairs of pants I bought last month are too loose now. At least everything was on sale at the Gap Factory.  

At this point, I think I might end up one tick lower on the pants, meaning that these I purchased today should be wearable in the long run. Plus these chino/khakis can work all year long, which was the other thing that dawned on me today, I've been stocking up on summer shirts, and now I've got to start thinking about the fall and winter.  There will be a lot of wearing the same few things at the start of the cold weather.

I need to spend some money on my kids wardrobes before I worry about me. The boy has probably completely grown out of his winter stuff by now. 

I went back on NutriSystem after having spent only a month on it a couple of years ago, and after three months, I'm down 22 pounds.  Almost halfway to my goal.  I'm really getting bored with the food, but it sure works.  :)

• Love 4
On August 2, 2016 at 0:12 AM, Rick Kitchen said:

I went back on NutriSystem after having spent only a month on it a couple of years ago, and after three months, I'm down 22 pounds.  Almost halfway to my goal.  I'm really getting bored with the food, but it sure works.  :)

Rick, or anyone else who has done NutriSystem, about how long have you been on it? My cousin lost A LOT of weight on it and has been on it for probably five years. Frankly, she has lost too much weight. I don't know the exact amount she has lost because I figure she will tell us if she wants us to know. But I ask this because she has said several times recently that she doesn't know how to eat anymore. When she is in a social situation that involves food, she picks at it. She came over for Thanksgiving and ate hardly anything, saying she would have NS when she got home. Of course I would have been fine if she had brought it with her. But I do worry about how long is healthy for her to stay on it. When she has said she doesn't know how to eat, we suggested she visit a professional nutritionist but I guess she doesn't want to. Money is not an issue with her. I just worry that she will lose more.

• Love 1

I would definitely suggest she see a registered dietician. Living only on shakes/specific set diet with limited food options, can lead to a very unhealthy relationship with food and your weight.

That's one of the reasons so many people following restrictive diets end up gaining the weight back, they never learn how to eat correctly.

I am so pleased to post an update after my previous post in May. I have now reached my goal weight of 60 Kg (132lb)  [from an initial weight of 87kg (192lb) in January] - (Fluctuating between 59-61 Kg) and am maintaining on 2000-2200 calories daily. 

With work commitments I've slipped a bit on my exercise, but am working on getting back into a routine with that as well.

Good luck to all on this journey!

• Love 7

I hope this is okay to post here: I need a kick in the butt!!!

I have to be careful about food and exercise in general, and am currently fighting my way back from a weight gain following illness. This past week I have been stress eating and missed a couple of work outs. I am up four pounds. PMS is a factor but this is a slippery slope!!! Anyone have motivational words of wisdom? Or words of shame? ANYTHING.

• Love 1

Hi @glowlights!  It has been a rough week...For me, getting out of my own headspace was pretty key.  Since I have a dog to walk, we've been going on more walks.  It gets me outside, the dog is good company (unless he sees a squirrel - he needs to go on high alert at that point).  I go out on my trike too (balance issues) with the dog too. 

Don't beat yourself up over falling off track - just eat and exercise better today than you did yesterday.  And do that each day.

• Love 1

Hey DeLurker, I really like your attitude of doing better today than yesterday. I did manage to drag my butt through a workout this afternoon and  have not eaten any sweets so... definitely better than yesterday. LOL 

Dog walking is such a great way to get out. In your case maybe dog running if squirrels are present? I would love a trike! Is yours recumbent?

Thanks again for the wisdom. Onwards and upwards.

Not a recumbent - I would not feel comfortable that low ground anywhere near traffic.  Too many distractions to feel like all the drivers would see me (even though all the ones I have seen have those flags extending).  Just a Schwinn Meridian.

It is more of a trot for my dog - he's a pretty big boy but not built for speed - for distance he can hang though.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, glowlights said:

ANYTHING

For me, I latched on to the dual combination of anger and then feeding off of the success. 

So I would be angry at the scale, angry at myself, and use that to double my willpower this week. And when the scale shows success next week, I feed off that. 

• Love 1
On 11/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, DeLurker said:

Just a Schwinn Meridian.

Nice! I agree with you about being low to the ground near drivers. The recumbents are probably better for paved trails.

20 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

For me, I latched on to the dual combination of anger and then feeding off of the success. 

So I would be angry at the scale, angry at myself, and use that to double my willpower this week. And when the scale shows success next week, I feed off that. 

Thanks! That's great that you can use both sides of the coin. Unfortunately I've been so blah. But I did a six mile walk yesterday and am planning a workout today. My eating is getting back on track. Not perfect. Hopefully this week I can put some anger to good use like you do. :)

• Love 2

@glowlights - have you tried rollerblading (since it sounds mostly flat in your area)?  I enjoyed it a lot, but it was the only thing I found that got rid of my post-baby pouch.  It probably gives your core a workout as you try to remain vertical, but it never felt like a workout to me.  It was just fun.

We used to go to do some laps around the Rose Bowl.  When the kids got old enough, I would put them in the jogging stroller and push that.  Not recommended for beginners!

I would love to be able to rollerblade here - nice wide sidewalks and mostly level terrain.  Balance issues prevent that from happening though.  And I imagine a 9-1-1 call would be made when someone finds me unconscious in a bunch of trees and shrubs because my silly dog saw a squirrel.

LOL! My husband used to run our dogs while rollerblading, and I toddled along behind. He took speed skating as a kid so he could handle it. I do enjoy it even though I've been known to spin out over the tiniest crack in the pavement. Embarrassing! But I think anything that gets your muscles out of their comfort zone is a good thing. Sorry you are having balance issues now. Is that something temporary?

I did 60 minutes of cardio yesterday and 8 minutes abs, but pigged out on pasta and chocolate so.... I am the poster child for bad behavior.

18 minutes ago, glowlights said:

Sorry you are having balance issues now. Is that something temporary?

I did 60 minutes of cardio yesterday and 8 minutes abs

The balance issues are permanent, along with some other physical problems.  But I keep trying different things and am slowly moving in the right direction.  I won't regain where I was, but I am much further along than they projected in 2007.

8 minute abs always reminds me of Something About Mary

• Love 1

There was a spectacular DeLurker-Trike pile up today caused by one of the evil squirrels.  I'm sure they're still laughing in their wooded hideaways.  Bastards. 

The dog, once he regained his senses, was properly contrite.  He's been on good behavior ever since.

Oh no!! Are you okay?  :(

So today was better. I did a decent 65 minute workout (cardio and conditioning intervals) and ate like a sane healthy adult. Also my fave  jeans won't do up so that is making me mad enough not to have treats. Thanks Preverts your advice is helping!!!!

I am a bit stiff and a bit scuffy, but I'll be fine. 

Today I am taking it slower - I did take him out on the trike again (because as my brother says, I'm a special kind of stupid).  He was disappointed that we went into the neighborhood because he knows that is a shorter outing.  And then I showered and went to get a much needed massage focusing on my battle wounds from yesterday.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good about getting back into your exercise routine.

Hope your massage did the trick! Yesterday was a scheduled day off so I took my poor tired feet for a reflexology treatment and he really got into the calves, which was awesome. Back to abusing them today though. *sigh* I did have banana chips last night and am a bit mad about that today but dammit I'm trying. These carb cravings are brutal.

• Love 1

I don't know where to start so I guess I'll just start with where I am right now. I was doing PT for a while but it was getting expensive so I stopped. And I told myself I would do pure barre but I got lazy about it and I even though it was tough and I was getting something out of it, I never felt like I really successfully grasped what they wanted you to do. I have 5 PT sessions I can do through this deal so I booked a session with a trainer on Monday. There aren't too many options as far as trainers go if you don't have a home gym but if this doesn't work out, there are a couple of other trainers I could try. I'm hoping it'll go well though because I think it would be easier to build a rapport using all 5 lessons on PT sessions with the same person.

I go through cycles of being fine with myself and cycles of insecurity. It's not so much outward but more being uncomfortable in my body. I was a size 4 for a long time. Then a 6. Then I shot up and now I'm bouncing between 10 or 12 depending on the company. There are times I can feel capable in this body and grateful for what it can do. And other times when I'm mad at it for being weak and squishy. There are times I am motivated to eat healthily and times I give up for a barrel of reasons. As with a lot of things in my life right now, I feel like it's partly wrapped up in issues of money and I feel like I'm trying to find the balance between self-care and making positive decisions for myself vs. throwing money at a problem and making myself feel good in the moment while creating this larger problem and deferring making decisions about bigger issues. 

So yeah. That's me right now.

• Love 1

Hi aradia, I hope it goes well with the trainer! Are you able to space the training sessions out over time and do their routine by yourself in between, to maximize the $$$? It used to motivate me knowing that I was seeing the trainer again in a couple weeks and wanted to show progress, as opposed to no progress and having to tell them I'd slacked off.

Barre class is tough.

Thanks, glowlights. These 5 sessions are going to expire in mid-December so I'm going to be using them 1-2 times a week but after that I have 10 sessions + a gym membership that I can use over a year. I'm still debating with myself whether I'm going to add more sessions to that 1 year plan. I have this horrible thing now where I justify purchases with other purchases. Like, I spent $X on that other thing, so now spending $X-Y on this thing doesn't seem that exorbitant. But, of course, it's still money. The ideal would be if I could self-motivate at home but even when I do, I don't find at home workouts that effective for me. 

14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The ideal would be if I could self-motivate at home but even when I do, I don't find at home workouts that effective for me. 

I don't think most people do.  I know tons of people who have spent a lot of money setting up a home gym or buying specific equipment, but then after a short time of use, it just sits there.  I have a friend who bought a pricey piece (I forget what it is called, but it was one of those things that you could work out just about everything) and it sat in the box for several years.  I moved before it was put together, but I am pretty sure it is still in the box in the garage.

Right now it sounds like you've got a lot on your mind and you'll be able to add additional sessions after you burn off the 10 you already have.  Actually, since the New Year is when people typically make commitments like "get in shape", there is usually a surge in new memberships.  But most people starting then normally flake off after a few weeks.  Maybe see if the PT sessions are transferable and see if you can buy some that way if you decide to continue with the sessions.

• Love 1

Yeah, working out at home is all about getting into a routine and being dedicated to it, because there are lots of other distractions. But I guess that's also true of getting to the gym. aradia I hope you find a solution to the spending issue so you're under less stress. Could you ask the trainer in the new year to set you up with a completely new routine once per month, and then spend each month mastering it? That would get you almost a year without having to buy more. I hope you enjoy your December sessions. It's great that you're working out through the holiday season!

• Love 1

I'm pretty much the only person I know who has a home workout regime and who has been able to stick with it (for over 2 years now). But it's an at-home swim gym type of thing, so it's kind of big and in my face and there's no getting away from it. I'm lazy, but I'm also good at self guilt, so working out at home is perfect for me. That is not to say I'm working out everyday, but for the last two years I have swam 3-4 times a week consistently.

• Love 3

It was a good session. I made it there early. If anything the whole public transportation thing was the worst part. The trainer seems really nice. I think I'm going to stick with her for the 5 sessions. She took it easy on me (I didn't really work up a sweat) but it was good to start moving around again and I did feel a little something with the weights so it wasn't too light. 

It's not that I can't do home workouts. It's that when I do, I don't get any results. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm pretty much the only person I know who has a home workout regime and who has been able to stick with it (for over 2 years now). But it's an at-home swim gym type of thing, so it's kind of big and in my face and there's no getting away from it. I'm lazy, but I'm also good at self guilt, so working out at home is perfect for me. That is not to say I'm working out everyday, but for the last two years I have swam 3-4 times a week consistently.

I use an exercise bike in my house regularly. It's nice to break away for the 45 minutes in the evening when the kids are done with homework and dinner and are either hitting the shower or watching youtube.  Having to go to a gym to use that kind of equipment would prevent me from doing it every day.

• Love 3

Good thing I have three more days before I need to put on my work pants again. Holy Thanksgiving. Even just one reasonably portioned plate of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and I feel like I never lost any weight. 

Oh, and a great glass of a single vineyard Cline Zinfandel didn't help either. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

On my current regimen I do either/or with the mashed potatoes and stuffing. And no rolls. 6 months and counting maintaining my goal weight.

You're good. 

I'm three months. To be fair, I had virtually no calorie breakfast and lunch today, and the total intake for the day isn't too bad. It's just been a long time since I ate a meal like that, and I feel stuffed. 

• Love 1
On 11/24/2016 at 3:54 PM, AimingforYoko said:

On my current regimen I do either/or with the mashed potatoes and stuffing. And no rolls. 6 months and counting maintaining my goal weight.

That's excellent!

I planned to allow myself "the Thanksgiving works" and boy oh boy... did I feel sluggish and gross afterward. But it was delicious! lol Today we took a brisk 6 mile walk and did some abs, and ate pretty normal (minus the big oatmeal cookie), so things are getting back on track.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and for those not in the U.S. hope you had a great weekend. :)

• Love 2

Pure barre class today. We'll see how it goes. It's been almost a month since I sprained my ankle but I still have to be careful about putting weight on it. But I woke up at 6 am this morning so I have no excuse for missing a 12 pm class.

• Love 1