Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Drawing Straws

Episode Synopsis:

Tom and the remnants of the 2nd Mass learn to pilot a Beamer as part of their plan to destroy the Espheni Power Core, and the group draws straws to see who will embark on the dangerous mission. The threat of death hanging over everyone triggers long-simmering confrontations between many of our main characters, ultimately bringing the 2nd Mass closer together.

It should be Dan, Dingaan, Ben and Shaq for the best combination of tech savvy, military experience, physical gifts and general allroundedness as a spare on the trip, yet can be spared if it is a suicide mission. Even so, if there are small spaces to crawl into, Matt should be drafted.  

• Love 3

You know it's going to be Tom and Pope.

Close!  It was Tom and Ben!  Of course, Ben is going because his name was drawn, but Tom is going because he rigged the election. Because he's so damn noble!  He will go against the will of the people and cheat, because, goddammit, he's Tom Fucking Mason!  All must kneel before him!  At least it wasn't Matt.  I really thought he was going to sneak his name in, and he would go. Because if any show would have the big baddies get taken down by a thirteen year-old, it would be Falling Skies.

That said, I did like the Tom/Anne stuff, because Anne called him out on his shit, and Tom finally admitted to his selfish reasons for doing what he did.  It's better then nothing, I guess.  But, we will have to see what happens next week, because Lexi has arrived to save the day!  That's right: Lexi finds out that the Espheni are dicks finally, and were planning on killing her, so she will now use her killing powers to help out her "true family."  I'm sure Lourdes and the rest who died, really would have appreciated that change of heart to happen earlier, Lexi.  I guess I am curious to see if there is going to be any noble sacrifice, or if she'll just be "redeemed" by the show, and the Masons will be back together!  Nice outfit, though.  Gave up the Khaleesi outfit for the Jedi-hoodie, Lexi?

You jest, Hal, but Maggie probably will end up with Matt in the end.  She sure does like those Mason boys!  Of course, Ben and Maggie can't keep it together, and get busted again by Hal, but I guess it's nice he is putting it aside for now, and just going to let Maggie decide.  But, at this point, I don't think it's worth it, Hal.  I'm sure there are better options then Maggie out there.

Pope is now just being a whiny punk with a death wish, who needed to have Weaver kick his ass.  They really don't know what to do with this character, do they?

Two hour finale, next week!  It's almost done!

• Love 5

Tom Mason is increasingly like Stargate Atlantis's John Sheppard, if with his particular death wish a bit less overt.  At least we got to see Anne talk him down for a minute, even if he still went ahead and did his own thing anyway.

And if Lexi's Force power (though it can't be strictly gravity manipulation, since she electrocuted a mech with a lightning strike as per Maggie) is powerful enough to take out flying beamers, however clunky it was for her to find out the Monk's true intentions so she can go running back to her human family?  I think it shortened her life expectancy in a big way; the show isn't crazy enough to let a cute blonde superweapon just run around for long, is it?

• Love 3

An episode so Mason-centric that even the Masons and Pope were talking about it!

Tom: Hey, this thing flies like a plane! Who should we pick to go on the mission?

Dingan: I'm a pilot (barely) and I am easily the most technically oriented person around. I volunteer!

Tom: Let's draw straws!

Tom Mason is increasingly like Stargate Atlantis's John Sheppard, if with his particular death wish a bit less overt.  At least we got to see Anne talk him down for a minute, even if he still went ahead and did his own thing anyway.

The thing I really don't like is that Tom is also developing a Messianic attitude. He truly believes that he is the one that can deliver humanity to victory. 

Uh, Lexi was proudly showing Ben people being turned into skitters a couple of weeks ago. No matter how much you want to redeem her, I can't get over that one writers! (Even if I do love her cloak.)

• Love 3

As far as I'm concerned, all Popery is dopery.

The triangle is ghastly. When Maggie tells Ben she loves him, any conviction is lost, probably in the furrows on her forehead. I wonder what else she could possibly have expected to happen when she went for an intimate tete a tete, instead of just hugging him goodbye at the big farewell? Very polite of Ben to say he was sorry when he ran after Hal. Courtesy like that always makes a girl want to slip into a boy's spaceship to be alone with him!

Actually apart from those two elements, the execution was mostly pretty good. I'm not nearly as tired of Tom Mason being the Hero all the time because Noah Wyle just works. Dream Ben making it clear that skitterizing people is a NoNo...check. Catching the lying liars lying...check. I'm sorry but Lexi is so much more mercifully brief than Isabelle Tyler and so much just better than the V hybrids, I'm just not feeling the hate. (But I still think Adria was better.) 

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

An episode so Mason-centric that even the Masons and Pope were talking about it!

Tom: Hey, this thing flies like a plane! Who should we pick to go on the mission?

Dingan: I'm a pilot (barely) and I am easily the most technically oriented person around. I volunteer!

Tom: Let's draw straws!

Even worse it was

Tom: Who's most qualified, and by qualified I mean is me.

Dingan: By any reasonable definition of qualified, I would actually be the best choice.

Matt: Let's draw straws!

Everyone else: Matt is an immature screw up, but for some reason we like this idea.

Tom: OK, OK, but Matt can't put his name in, and I do the drawing, and look over there!, oh I guess it was nothing, and while you were all looking away, I drew my own name. What a coincidence,

Everyone else: We are just stupid enough to fall for that.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 9

This episode should be subtitled "Everyone Wants to be the Big Damn Hero".

Tom - Are we supposed to root for Tom?  Because all I see is an arrogant future dictator in the making.  He thinks he knows what's best for everyone else.  He apparently considers himself above the rules that apply to everyone else.  And he's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his aims, including deception, lying and cheating.  Of course. history professor Tom is going to fly the alien ship, rather than experienced pilot Dingaan.  Even though drawing straws is a stupid idea (nice to know anyone can learn to fly an alien spacecraft in about an hour), doesn't anyone wonder about the statistical odds of two Masons being picked in a 'random' draw?  No, I don't think Tom fixed the drawing in order to go along to protect Ben - that was his rationalization.  He always intended to go regardless of who else was picked because he felt it was his 'destiny'.  But if it was really his destiny, then shouldn't he have trusted his name to be picked without having to rig the draw?

Matt - After Dingaan (the pilot) and Cochise (the Volm who should really have more knowledge of Espheni ships) spend hours trying to figure out how to steer the beamer, 13-year-old Matt sneaks on board and finds the steering mechanism in about two seconds flat.  He must've been watching episodes of Battlestar Galactica and Farscape before the 'skies fell'.  It's also nice to know that Espheni learned ship building from the Cylons and the Pilots.

Hal, Maggie and Ben - Hal should just walk away from Maggie and not look back.  Spike-controlled or not, even if Maggie chooses Hal, he will never be able to trust her not to jump Ben in the future.  Hal deserves better.  Surely there's another single female somewhere out there among the last pockets of humanity.  And so much for brotherly scruples - Ben kisses Maggie... again.  Yes, it's the spikes' fault and we're supposed to sympathize with Maggie and Ben, but as Hal said, everyone has their own version of spikes (to explain their lack of self-control).

Pope - What happened to the independent and rebellious Pope from previous seasons?  He's turned into a weak, Randy Quaid-wannabe (see Independence Day).

Lexi - I guess we're going to forget she murdered poor Lourdes now that she's seen the light.  But did she return because she realized she was on the wrong side, or did she return because she had nowhere else to go once she learned she was marked for death?  The Espheni must have a great color stylist.  Lexi's wearing just the right shade of red gown to complement her white hair and all that gray, post-apocalyptic background.  Also, nice of the Espheni to speak English to each other so Lexi could understand them when she was eavesdropping (didn't the show used to have the Espheni talk alien-speak with subtitles?).  And why did the Espheni need Lexi in the first place?  They're already winning the war.  They would've been better off just killing her as an infant.

2nd Mass - So almost all of the rest of humanity is either dead or processed?  And why was the Spanish broadcast on a 1776 megahertz frequency?  The 1776 date is mostly significant to Americans.  So were the senders Hispanic-Americans, or was this frequency the only one left in the world?  If so, do we assume people in all other countries will recognize the significance of 1776?

I guess Tom, aided by Lexi's alien super powers, is now going to save the day.  Then Tom, like John Connor, will lead humanity out of the darkness.  Later, he can re-seed the human population with mostly Mason DNA, starting with the remnants of the 2nd Mass (since Masons now seem to make up almost half of their survivors).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

- It looks like the writers can't make up their minds about Tom. Pope complains about his martyr complex, Anne complains that he's making decisions without consulting her when they are now married, the entire camp unites against him because he takes all the decisions alone.  And the conclusion is that Tom is a good father because he 's cheated during the draw, very contradictory writing.

- I liked Pope before because he was the only one to call the Masons on their stupidity but he has become so stale. Now it's every episode Pope lead a rebellion or fight with Tom or Weaver and then have a redemptive moment, they should have decided between making a real villain or a part of Tom's crew a long time ago.

-The triangle is still creepy, Maggie acts on Ben's feelings for her and doesn't have free will, they need to get ride of this story.

-Lexie can officially do anything she wants with her mind, which mean that they need to kill her of depowering her. I like the idea of reverting her back to a state child.

-I was afraid that Matt would launch the beamer and be stuck inside it then I was afraid that his name would be drawn so that's a positive for the episode. And if we passed all the time on this beamer just to not use it I will be very pissed.

-Last thing I find hilarious that each episode feature a moment where Cochise makes up an excuse to disappear for the rest of the episode, it must be a budget related problem, but they could be more subtle about it.

• Love 3

I thought Anne's complaints clearly established that Tom wasn't being rational. Then when he confessed he just had a feeling it was confirmed. I think the show is committed to the proposition that a sufficiently intense feeling of certainty about an intuition is superior to commonplace reason, leaving Tom right, but knowing he's making a leap of faith, which is kind of heroic. The iffy part of the logic isn't the heroic part, since Tom and Anne are clearly worried. None of this is easy. 

The iffy part is the notion that sufficiently intense emotion can be superior to cold, objective reasoning. However, this is precisely the kind of "reasoning" that is upheld everyday by millions of people.

I thought the 1776 mHz was because the transmission was meant to warn the US the new Espheni offensive was coming. What I didn't believe is that they wouldn't put in real details to make their advice more convincing!

By the way, it's not gravity that holds objects smaller than planets and stars and galaxies together: It's electrostatic attraction between protons and electrons. 

The Espheni who pulled rank to order Lexi killed was never keen on the Lexi project but waited until he was sure that 1)her threat was significant and 2)it couldn't be certain that control wouldn't fail. I had thought their communication was telepathic, not in any language but thought to thought?

• Love 2
Close!  It was Tom and Ben! 

Pope wanted to rig it though. So I was there. I don't get Pope. He bitches about everything for the sake of bitching, regardless of whatever.

Why does the connection of the spikes have to result like this? It seems to lack creativity by TPTBs. I have to side with Hal on this one. "Yeah we got our own spikes." This whole plot is completely unnecessary.

That said, I did like the Tom/Anne stuff, because Anne called him out on his shit, and Tom finally admitted to his selfish reasons for doing what he did.

Ann is finally back to being Ann. The entire problem with this season is that TPTBs wrote the characters however they want to push the plot along. It's jarring and cheap.

And if Lexi's Force power (though it can't be strictly gravity manipulation, since she electrocuted a mech with a lightning strike as per Maggie) is powerful enough to take out flying beamers, however clunky it was for her to find out the Monk's true intentions so she can go running back to her human family?

By the way, it's not gravity that holds objects smaller than planets and stars and galaxies together: It's electrostatic attraction between protons and electrons.

The strong nuclear force. I said the same thing. Gravity is actually the weakest out of the 4: strong nuclear, weak nuclear, gravity, electromagnetic. I watch a lot of scifi and I can handwave a lot. Like the beamer is a drone that will fly automatically to the moon. Fine, I can roll with it. But the gravity thing is just stupid and indicative of the overall problem with the season. Sloppy and not well thought out. You can get the same result by having Lexi use the strong nuclear force to rip apart the atoms of the tree. It takes 30 seconds to look that up. You can't even do that?

Lexie can officially do anything she wants with her mind, which mean that they need to kill her of depowering her.

When on a show has All Powerful Character really worked? Lexi is Killabelle 2.0. Practically the same character. Force grown, weird uncontrolled, unseen powers. Yawn. Who thought this was a good idea? This whole plot was so boringly predictable. Alien Race Creates Human Hybrid That Is There Undoing. Wow. I've never seen that on tv ever in my entire life. 

Although, at least they did give the radio transmission to give us a glimpse of the world at large. This has been sorely lacking on this show. They even have a character from another part of the world and he's contributed next to nothing about what's going on elsewhere. 

• Love 2

After Dingaan (the pilot) and Cochise (the Volm who should really have more knowledge of Espheni ships) spend hours trying to figure out how to steer the beamer, 13-year-old Matt sneaks on board and finds the steering mechanism in about two seconds flat.

I know, right? Was that the dumbest thing ever or what? How long had they been trying to find the "steering" wheel and how did they miss the giant green, glowing things you just had to push to raise the steering mechanism?

I liked Pope before because he was the only one to call the Masons on their stupidity but he has become so stale. Now it's every episode Pope lead a rebellion or fight with Tom or Weaver and then have a redemptive moment, they should have decided between making a real villain or a part of Tom's crew a long time ago.

This, so much. Lexi still takes the cake for most annoying character, but Pope has sort of become like Dr. Smith on Lost in Space. It's really unfathomable that such an aggressive agitator would still be around with the 2nd Mass. They either would have killed him by now, or ejected him, or he would have left on his own. It's like he's contrary just for the sake of being contrary. Tom could stand up and say "We have to get water" and Pope would mock him and try to start an argument over it. I'm tired of it. He's such a two-dimensional cartoon - and I've felt that way about him pretty much from the beginning. Now, it's just ridiculous. 

What is this dumb "shadow plane" thing where the Eshpeni meet, and what movie did they rip this off from? That seems like an awfully contrived way for them to communicate with one another.

Where the hell does Lexi keep getting all these clothes?!?

• Love 4

Actually apart from those two elements, the execution was mostly pretty good. I'm not nearly as tired of Tom Mason being the Hero all the time because Noah Wyle just works. 

Yes, that's pretty much where I'm at. I can enjoy him in the role, and appreciate him for his endurance and earnestness while still finding it funny when he's called out for being a glory hog. 

It was kind of cute that Pope set out to remove Weaver's name from the bag. I was thinking at first that he was trying to remove what's-her-face's name, because I had forgot that she had taken off. Other than that, he was even more obnoxious than usual. 

I couldn't focus on the way they planned to get up to the moon and wipe out the Espheni from there. I rewound it a couple of times and still couldn't get interested in it, so I'll wait until it actually happens. I hope stuff blows up real good. 

Drawing straws? Oh, right, that's how George Washington became Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Then he flipped a coin to decide whether to cross the Delaware or not. Good going, historian Tom. Having a Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament would have been better—at least that would involve a modicum of strategy. 

Show, I kid because I care, but also because it's fun!

Edited by Kris117
  • Love 2

This was the episode of no surprises- the Masons go to the moon and Lexi switches sides.  Except for those surprises caused by what I guess is some form of face-blindness - for some reason I have trouble telling the Ashwhatevvy and the Cochesi apart, so every now and then I think there's a giant plot twist but nope, it's just me being a racist.  

I wish I thought that part of the last season would be how everyone gets together and reboots earth, but it'll probably be "yay we beat them!" and a musical montage. 

• Love 3

I have to admit, I watched while playing the equivalent of "Kwazy Kupcakes." And every time I lost a life and looked up, the stuff on the teevee was kwazier than the stupid game.

At this point, I would just like to be soothed by Cochise's velvet voice. Instead, it was Pope's endless gripes, the Mason boys' rivalry, and Tom and Anne's hashing out stuff that never changes or gets resolved. At this point, Tom is Tom, and Masons will rule. I won't fight it.

I put down the game to watch Lexi finally buy a clue, but it was all so deadpan and bloodless. She now understands how she's been manipulated into killing and betraying her family and her species, and she barely raises an eyebrow. Then she just strolls back into camp in her insane red robe ("Where the hell does Lexi keep getting all these clothes?!?" -- Where indeed??) like nothing's happened. Oh, I killed some beamers for you, Dad, now what's the plan?

The problem with Lexi is that she has no personality. I can't care about her (when I'm not actively loathing her) because I have no idea what she is or who she is. One moment she was an infant, then a creepy toddler. Then we come back from winter and she's an animatronic guru with a bad dye job. She has no history, no personality, and no rationale. She exists to speak lines of dialogue and to trigger scenery-chewing by the other characters.

In contrast to Lexi, Pope is a joy. He's a whiny, nasty, flip-flopping S.O.B., but at least he's nominally alive.

• Love 3

What is this dumb "shadow plane" thing where the Eshpeni meet, and what movie did they rip this off from? That seems like an awfully contrived way for them to communicate with one another.

Where the hell does Lexi keep getting all these clothes?!?

The concept probably owes something to the "astral plane" which has been a staple of mind-out-of-body fantasy for a long time. The visual style looks like a straight rip from the "Frodo puts on the Ring" sequences of the LotR movies.

I presume Lourdes' closet has a lot of clothes she can "borrow". (Too soon?)

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

Not too soon.

I actually don't have a problem with the shadow plane. Maybe their junk dna activated at some point in their evolution and this is the result. You know, actual science fiction. Perish the thought. 

She's BAAACK! I really enjoyed the episode with no Lexi, and now here she is to save the day. Ugh. Maybe it is the actress, but I agree with BungalowSummer that she is just wooden and not interesting at all. For someone who can blow things apart with her mind, you'd think she would be more interesting.  I don't mind Tom Mason making all the decisions, since it doesn't seem anyone else really wants to, unless they are goaded by Pope. I would have much rather seen Pope and Tom on the spaceship mission.  I used to like Ben, but now with this whole "love triangle" thing, and Matt being a bratty teenager, I am pretty sick of the Mason boys. I'd rather see some of the rest of the red shirt group on my screen and get the know them better. Before they get killed off because they don't have names.

• Love 2

During this episode I kept wondering why Ben and Maggie would decide to talk to Hal about such a delicate, upsetting matter as their spike attraction while Hal was making a bomb! Dear Lord, people, the guy is handling explosives and you want to talk to him about the fact that his girlfriend is attracted to (and kissed) his brother?

• Love 3

As far as Lexi being interesting, partly it depends on what "interesting" means to you, right? I think making a decision is what's interesting for a character, and the more important the decision (or the more relevant to some aspect of our own lives and hopes,) the more interesting the character. 

Lexi's got Espheni DNA so she's partly Espheni and her Espheni Dad is sweet-talking her mind-to-mind (which is by the way an amazingly good trick...compare the Shing in Ursula LeGuin's City of Illusions, which correctly emphasizes that point!) When the humans gin up a lynch mob, it's pretty much a no-brainer to run to the ones who look much better. The thing is, a no-brainer decision is not interesting.

Of course, once Lexi actually gets a look at the Espheni and catches on to the lies, it's equally a no-brainer to return to the lesser evil and work out a solution there. But again, a no-brainer decision is not interesting. 

About the only decision that Lexi faced that wasn't a foregone conclusion at the time was taking crazy Lourdes to the Espheni. The weird thing is, I thought Lexi's reaction may have been horrifying but it was very interesting. 

There are other definitions of interesting though. One apparently is being a character who one would identify with or being a character one can identify with someone you'd love. The thing for me is that when I use that standard I can't see anything going on but personal taste. Not only is there no arguing personal taste, there's not really anything even to discuss. It's there or it's not. Yea or nay, end of debate.

I've enjoyed season four and all the episodes, but this episode didn't do it for me.  It had too many characters acting bizarre.  First, Tom Mason has always been a fairly level-headed guy, and contrary to popular opinion, always seeks out Weaver's counsel.  I don't get Tom's obsession with being the person that HAS to go on the beamer to the moon.  I don't get that.  I felt like I was watching a different character in his obsession to be the one on the beamer.  For the past three and a half years, including up until last week, Tom wants to be there for his family, and now he's suddenly desperate to get to the moon.  The writers should have fleshed out his motivation regarding that plot line.  I do love the character, and I agree with another poster that if anyone actually wanted Tom's job as leader, they would step up.  They don't.  They don't want it.  Weaver is also a leader, and he's there working with Tom, and he can more than handle the responsibility, but he and Tom do it together.  I am happy to see that the Tom/Cochise friendship has been downplayed in favor of the Tom/Weaver friendship.  That's the one I care about.  Anne and Tom are still great together, and I love their scenes.  Noah and Moon work really well together.

Pope was good, but he, too, seemed to have his motivations come out of left field.  He and Weaver have become weird sort of friends over the last season, but I wish the writers had toned down Pope's constant complaining.  That would have allowed those quiet revelations, like the one he had with Weaver, to have a larger impact.  The writers should have been working on Pope's character arc all season, and we did get some signs of life, but I wish Pope actually talked more about what he was thinking and feeling rather than always start out by yelling and insulting people.  He should be much further along in his character arc than he is.  All the other characters have grown and changed and Pope is still essentially almost the same.  Not quite, but almost.  I still liked the scene with him and Weaver, but I'm tired of his constant sniping at Tom.  Either step up yourself or get over it.

The triangle still doesn't bother me.  I don't think it's heavy handed, and it seems clear that Maggie does love Hal.  There is no mixed feelings from her, and Ben has admitted that he has feelings for her.  Ben is the outsider, and so I get why he feels different and isolated.  I also think it's something the rest of his family can't understand on a certain level.  Overall, I felt it was okay, but I also feel they could be using all three characters much better than creating a love triangle.

Lastly, Lexi.  If someone were to ask what was the problem with season four, it would be her character.  Everything else about season four (for the most part), I've really enjoyed.  The action is good, the characters are acting more like the 2nd Mass, the drama is good, etc.  Why they had to add an alien hybrid baby that grows up super quick is beyond me, but it's done.  I actually didn't have a problem with Lexi.  I had a problem with the Overlords.  I actually thought the Overlord that was grooming Lexi was the older "brother" to Scorch.  After Sunday's episode, it appears that Scorch is the superior Overlord, and in one episode, the Monk is gone.  I can't say I'm going to miss him, but I was intrigued by Ben having the wounds on his body when Anne was beating the Monk.  I guess that's not going anywhere now.  I'm okay with the Monk being gone because I find Scorch a better villain.  I just felt like the Monk was eliminated so quickly, and I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's to focus the audience on one big bad for the final two episodes.  Also, Lexi's transformation from trusting the Monk to killing him happened a little fast for me, but if it moves this story along and maybe ends her storyline so she won't be needed next season, I'm okay with that.

This was my least favorite episode, but regardless, I have been enjoying this season of Falling Skies.  I certainly don't have the complaints that others have, and I think it's just fun summer fare.  Between this show and The Last Ship (and the Strain), Sunday's have been my favorite night of television.  

Next week looks interesting.  I can't tell if Lexi betrays Tom by delivering him to Scorch.  Wouldn't THAT be a great twist?

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

On a side note - don't know if any of your here watch "Rush".  But on last nights episode, the actor who plays Pope was a guest star.  Clean shaven and with his hair cut short and died to a light brown.  I didn't even recognize him until he spoke.  Then I had no doubt.  USA re-airs Rush if anyone wants to see a different "Pope"

Since Davis was originally cut from the same mold as Col. Samuels, Kennedy, Mayfield and Simmons, he did get promoted to good guy at least.

I still remember Colin Cunningham in a couple of guest spots. He played the father of an autistic child who gave him the 50/50 shot hoping for a cure. And he showed off his gym membership in Saved playing a guy who collapsed from infection from his pectoral implants. That you have to remember! I vaguely remember him in a Sanctuary episode as a murderous husband but that wasn't a strong performance, or maybe part.

Edited by sjohnson

I want to know whose name Tom drew.

So Matt, who chased off a rabbit when they were starving and set his ex-girlfriend Nazi prisoner free so she could call the space aliens to foil the human plans--this same Matt--Tom tells to "not touch anything" and then turns his back on him. Okay, so it worked out well, but IRL, no.

...Uh, Lexi was proudly showing Ben people being turned into skitters a couple of weeks ago. No matter how much you want to redeem her, I can't get over that one writers! (Even if I do love her cloak.)

Whaddaya mean, "her" cloak?!? I'd wager a ride in the beamer that she took it out of Regina's closet in Storybrooke (Once Upon A Time reference).

....Tom could stand up and say "We have to get water" and Pope would mock him and try to start an argument over it. I'm tired of it. He's such a two-dimensional cartoon - and I've felt that way about him pretty much from the beginning. Now, it's just ridiculous....

And Colin is doing some fine acting with the material. But I guess they can't have two heroes. Hrmph. Old fashioned story tellers.

At this point, I would just like to be soothed by Cochise's velvet voice....

Based on looks and the way he keeps disappearing, I keep expecting him to be a spy for the Espheni (I'm a racist too, Random Chance, when it comes to the space aliens), but then he speaks with the most comforting voice since Mr. Rodgers. Good choice of voice, Show!

...I don't get Tom's obsession with being the person that HAS to go on the beamer to the moon.  I don't get that.  I felt like I was watching a different character in his obsession to be the one on the beamer.  For the past three and a half years, including up until last week, Tom wants to be there for his family, and now he's suddenly desperate to get to the moon.  The writers should have fleshed out his motivation regarding that plot line....

The only thing that would work is if there's some implant pulling him, which could be possible, as he's been the ships before.
I want to know whose name Tom drew.

His own.  He'd hidden another sheet with his name on it up in some void.  Pope told Weaver after their fight that he hadn't taken his own name out of the 'hat' (skull, whatever), he had removed Weaver's and Tom's.  That was why Pope asked to see it after the drawing.  He didn't say anything and neither did Weaver, but both of them know about Tom's shenanigans.  Like Anne predicted, I think it will come back to bite him.  Pope expected him to cheat; it's what he would have done himself. Weaver will make it all 'noble, protecting his son, St. Tom' like he always does, but I think if some of the others find out they might not be so forgiving. (Well for an episode anyway.  He is a Mason.)

• Love 1