Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E12: The Great New Year's Bake Off

• Start Topic

Oh my God I love Lottie.

This was probably my favorite group of returnees since they started doing this; I enjoyed all four in their original incarnations so it was A+ casting putting them all in at once. I liked Manon doing the tribute to her octopus fail. Vegan meringue and ice cream in the technical was fun to watch too, and I got a big laugh at Antony trying to turn his bowl upside down over Noel's head.

I've started tuning out during the showstoppers, and the bûche entremet definitely sounded kind of dumb to me, but even with the goofy molds they all used their cakes all came out looking impressive. And Chiggs's with the pistachio and cardamom and mango and all sounded especially delicious. They really all did a great job, and Manon was a worthy New Year's winner.

• Like 4

This was fun, mainly thanks to Lottie. She's so funny, and so acerbic that they really should think about having her as the next host of the show, alongside Noel.

This was a likeable group of bakers, and Manon was the only one who seemed like she was that bothered about winning. Everyone else was just having a laugh, but still produced decent results.

I find these more enjoyable than the celeb specials, because we're just watching a group of competent, knowledgeable people do what they do well, and even Paul seems to be enjoying it.

• Like 6
On 1/8/2023 at 7:51 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

Oh Lottie would be great at hosting. I can't remember what her career status is, but I wonder if she'd go for it if asked.

Wasn't Lottie something odd (at least to me as an American) like doing something with pantomime?

Just looked it up - she was a pantomime producer.  Now apparently she is a cookbook author and Instagram person.

She was one of my all time favorites also.  Wasn't that the first pandemic cast?  I really quite liked all of them.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 1

I watched this, now that it's shown up on Netflix in the US a year later. I too enjoy these more than the Christmas specials with TV personalities (both because of the clueless fumbling and also that, for the most part, the participants are usually random folks for those of us across the pond). This was a surprisingly even bunch. In regular seasons, there's usually some talk about how much the technical counts, with the conclusion often being not a lot relative to first, the signature, and especially, the showstopper. Since they praised the showstoppers essentially equally, and really only nitpicked the signatures, it was interesting to hear Paul say the deciding factor was Manon's first place in the technical. I had forgotten how dry and funny Lottie is.

I guess these specials are the last those of us in the US will see of Matt Lucas. I fast-forwarded through all his and Noel's bits, but he wasn't too bad on his own here.

This was so good compared to the Christmas special. Manon wasn't my favorite contestant - she seems rather humorless, especially among this group of contestants, but she deserved to win with that showstopper. I loved seeing Lottie again - I would watch her season again just for the witty repartee between her and Noel.

• Like 3

Lottie really is the best. "This is the literal definition of polishing a turd". Can we have her every season? She'd be the best host ever. Hang on, wait, can she replace Paul? 😄 She and Prue can compete on who can wear the most horrible outfit.

Oh well, a girl can dream.

• Like 3

What a wonderful episode! Everyone was just right up there the whole time. Any of them could have won. Lottie was hysterical. I don't remember liking her as much on the regular show, but here she was needed. Maybe she can come back every year? 

It was kind of jarring to go back to Matt after just having had our first season with Allison (who I love). What a great group of bakers, all of whom did really well and (as others have said) were a massive upgrade from the Channel 4 people. I thought for sure Chigs’s showstopper would have won it. That looked straight out of a magazine.

I’m bummed we are a year behind in the US - I want the new holiday episodes next week!

• Like 2

Do former contestants make a lot of appearances together? Lottie, Chigs, and Anthony seemed so comfortable together that I had to check to see if they were on the same season. (I also thought Chigs and Lottie would make a cute couple.) I also felt a little bad that they weren't really interacting with Manon much, but that might just be because she was taking it more seriously and was probably more focused.

I've always thought that Lottie would make a good host. She'd make a good co-host for Noel (I like Alison, too, though.)

I'd watch anything with Lottie, she is so funny and "real." She would make a great host for this show or any other. Chigs is adorable as always. Manon is ok, but not nearly as personable as many of the contestants. Anthony didn't leave much of an impression on me...I'd have to watch his season again.

• Like 1

I remembered all of them but Anthony. I had to look him up afterwards. I for some reason never remember the ones that go out early, I guess that's because you see less of them.

Anyhow, I called Manon winning from the beginning. Not that the other ones weren't good, but she probably was (is?) the most talented. But that aside this was a fun group of bakers. 

And it was jarring to see Matt again. I guess I got used to Alison. He wasn't to annoying here, but I think I prefer her.

I think Manon wanted to win so badly that she didn't really show much personality...that girl was intense!  Having said that I agree - Lottie is the best.  I have rewatched her season over and over again (yes, I get that bored and that is one of my favorite seasons anyway) and I like her every time.

Anthony has changed his look a lot - his hair is a lot more relaxed and he was wearing glasses.  He looked great (not that he didn't on his season - he just looked different - plus he went out fairly quickly).  

I though Chig would win...he just continues to get better and better.