Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Sunday New York Times, $6

DanaK
  • Start Topic

WEDNESDAY, NOV. 30, 9:31-10:00 p.m.

The success of Tom's book sparks a change in the financial tides; and, with the extra cash in hand, Marina encourages him to spend some money on himself. Meanwhile, Denise's parents shake things up during their visit to town. With their reveal of some surprising news, an unexpected Hayworth comes to her rescue.

Edited by DanaK

The actor playing Denise's dad looked familiar to me but I couldn't remember what I knew him from.  Looked it up and it's Gary Anthony Williams, Stevie's dad, Abe, from Malcom in the Middle.  Dude has lost a ton of weight!  Good for you, Gary!

Also, I can't believe that Kim Coles is old enough to play Denise's mom!  I used to watch Living Single when I was in middle school and high school and that's just crazy to me.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I hope we'll see more of Denise's parents.  Loved them, although I was hoping her father would be played by Overton (a Living Single reference.)

A favorite line: Connor says to Denise: "I dated your sister.  I could have been your brother-in-law."  And Denise responds: "You ARE my brother-in-law," which seems to befuddle Connor.

Hopefully, by the time the actress who plays Sarah returns from "the school play in Sacramento," she will no longer have to hide her real life pregnancy behind pillows and laundry baskets.

• Love 6
On 12/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Snapdragon said:

The actor playing Denise's dad looked familiar to me but I couldn't remember what I knew him from.  Looked it up and it's Gary Anthony Williams, Stevie's dad, Abe, from Malcom in the Middle.  Dude has lost a ton of weight!  Good for you, Gary!

Also, I can't believe that Kim Coles is old enough to play Denise's mom!  I used to watch Living Single when I was in middle school and high school and that's just crazy to me.

I loved seeing Kim Coles but I had a hard time processing her as the mother of two adults and grandmother to adolescents! 

The actor playing Denise has a more mature look so I think that added to my reluctance to see Kim Coles as her mother. But I got over it! Denise's parents' story was pretty good!

• Love 2
On 12/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Snapdragon said:

I think I know him best from "Whose Line is it Anyway" and "The Crew" on Netflix.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 12/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, Snapdragon said:

Kim Coles is 60!  She doesn’t look it, that’s for sure.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, buckboard said:

A favorite line: Connor says to Denise: "I dated your sister.  I could have been your brother-in-law."  And Denise responds: "You ARE my brother-in-law," which seems to befuddle Connor.

This made me laugh so hard.  LOL.  I was just like Denise in that moment totally befuddled myself.

Her parents story was fun and it was nice that we got to see her parents. Now we have seen all the in laws (altho... have we seen Mariana's mother?).  Another good Connor moment that made Denise do a double take was when he said "I swiped right on your mom" or something like that.

Hate to say I didn't miss Sarah one bit.

Tom is too much.  How can you not just enjoy a hot tub?  They were made for low stress enjoyment!  But I did get a kick out of the end tag and hearing all his rules and Gretchen taking them to heart.

Kim Coles really doesn't look likes she's aged all that much.  I still 100% relate her to Synclaire in Living Single.  She could be doing a real dramatic role and I would be thinking that Synclaire is gonna bust out with something wacky any moment now. 

• Love 3

I have to say, I want one of those hot tubs that they'll bring and place in the middle of your lawn, then they're magically connected to water and power.  Then when you don't want it anymore, you're just left with a little flattened grass, not dangling plumbing and electrical connections!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I have to say, I want one of those hot tubs that they'll bring and place in the middle of your lawn, then they're magically connected to water and power.  Then when you don't want it anymore, you're just left with a little flattened grass, not dangling plumbing and electrical connections!

Finally caught up with this seasons episodes (thank you PVR) and this was almost exactly what my husband said as well!  Aside from that I enjoyed this episode and appreciated that they are letting Tom be Tom but still have some success.  I have to say though it's becoming clearer to me why his wife seems to be dipping into the wine as often as she does!  He is one high maintenance guy.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne

I laughed so hard at Denise’s dad saying he also “desired true friendship” (DTF).  Hee!!  I also couldn’t believe Kim Coles was cast as Denise’s mom and actually looked up her age.  I can’t believe she’s 60!!

Hot tubs kinda gross me out so I was fine with them getting rid of it.  Tom was over the top with the killjoy routine though.  Connor continues to be my fave.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this episode although yes, Tom can be a LOT!  I can relate to Marina so much as my husband, unfortunately, is a good deal like Tom.  He is never satisfied with anything in his life.  He’s always complaining about something like his job, where we live, our house, the yard, money, even the weather!  Since Topher Grace is an executive producer as well as the “star” of this ensemble cast, I’m sure he has input into his character.  I’m gonna bet that he knows a few “Tom’s”.  I miss the character Sarah as I do like the actress.  I’m sure she’s off for maternity leave for a few episodes.  She was very good in the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.  Kim Coles does look good.  But, as a fellow 60 year old who is also told I don’t look more than 45-50, I think in general people age better now that not many of us smoke, and we eat cleaner, and drink more water.  

On 12/16/2022 at 6:03 AM, mostlylurking said:

I laughed so hard at Denise’s dad saying he also “desired true friendship” (DTF).  Hee!!  I also couldn’t believe Kim Coles was cast as Denise’s mom and actually looked up her age.  I can’t believe she’s 60!!

Laughing at myself because I didn't get this joke and had to look it up. It reminds me of Phil Dunphy on Modern Family thinking WTF meant "Why the face?"

• LOL 1