Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Call Me Dame Booty Clench

• Start Topic

The toxicity of the mother daughter relationship on this show is so awful. The 10 seconds of kindness do not make up for the other 22 minutes of horrible. I don’t understand how the writers think that’s funny. It’s just sad and heartbreaking and I want Kat to get some much needed therapy and learn to set boundaries and go low contact with her mother. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 8

The trope of the adult child trying to convince the parent not to sell their childhood home always ticks me off. It’s entitled as hell. If it’s that important to you then offer to buy it from them. If you can’t, then shut up about it because you don’t live there anymore and it’s not your decision to make.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

As usual, Phil (Leslie Jordan) shined and I enjoyed the drag queen/QD & Phil storyline.  Still with the fart jokes and raunchy humor though.

Is it just me or does anyone else find the voices of Randi and Carter together irritating?

Kat needs to set some boundaries with dear old Mom and give her the phone numbers of Lyft, Uber and Yellow Cab.  Sheila's emotional manipulation is getting old real fast.  Kat wouldn't even be angsting out over sperm donors and going baby crazy if her mother hadn't been hounding her for grandchildren since Day 1.  This makes Kat feel like a failure no matter what she's accomplished in her life and now she has to devote every waking hour catering to her mother because Sheila can't drive?

After Leslie's last episode airs I feel like I want to be done with this show.

I still like Swoosie Kurtz and Sheila but these storylines are lame.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Dear old Mom, not fear old Mom.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I can't drive and I am very organized about my errands and other needs. I don't just run out of milk or fail to have spare batteries around, and expect anyone to rush over to bail me out. You plan for these things. 

Cabs and Lyft/Uber, delivery, and paid helpers are expensive. But when you don't have money, you plan, and you appreciate the people who do you favors. Kat and Sheila would have a schedule, and Kat could be there in a true emergency, and also for planned needs, but wouldn't be at SHeila's beck and call every second if Sheila wasn't an abusive shit and Kat wasn't a pathetic doormat.

This show is spiraling into a horror show.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

There's not just Uber and Lyft, but there are also free or subsidized ride services available for the handicapped and seniors in general

Yes, but they tend to be grossly inadequate, you need advance scheduling, and they are incredibly inconvenient. There is no such thing for a quick need like "run and get me some batteries right now!" and in some places they are only for medical appointments, not for recreation or other such things.

Sheila could take a regular bus, though, if she wanted to, if public transportation exists where they live. She's too much of a spoiled snob to do it, though.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Yes, but they tend to be grossly inadequate, you need advance scheduling, and they are incredibly inconvenient. There is no such thing for a quick need like "run and get me some batteries right now!" and in some places they are only for medical appointments, not for recreation or other such things.

Sheila could take a regular bus, though, if she wanted to, if public transportation exists where they live. She's too much of a spoiled snob to do it, though.

I think that may depend on the area.  In my area they are pretty reliable and not difficult to schedule or use, and are available for more than just medical appointments, like shopping.  And seniors deal with the fact that they can't just go and run for something on a moment's notice.  I was handicapped myself for a while after a bad fall and arm break and needed to rely on those services because I couldn't drive so I have some experience with this.  I wouldn't exactly call it "incredibly inconvenient", at least in my experience.  And IMO these forms of transportation are far better than any bus.  Maybe I have lower expectations having spent the first half of my life in NYC relying on public transportation, which IMO was far less convenient than any of these senior ride services, at least in my area.  I think Kat's mother needs to lower her expectations a bit, but that's the whole point, IMO.  She can't expect to be chauffeured around for every little thing on a moment's notice.

Edited by Yeah No

I don't know what the show's powers that be are thinking by increasing the raunchiness and zaniness of this show, but it ain't working for me (and I'm not against it in general, but it feels out of place now with what we learned about these characters in previous seasons.) You really have Mayim Bialik saying "bone town" multiple times in one episode, and a few weeks ago tracking down the sperm donor? Holy moly that was out of character and just awful TV). They think that's funny and an improvement? There are other examples I've mercifully already forgotten but it's really changed the feel of the show. It used to have *something* that kept me watching but now there isn't much going for it.

• Like 6
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, BookThief said:

I don't know what the show's powers that be are thinking by increasing the raunchiness and zaniness of this show, but it ain't working for me (and I'm not against it in general, but it feels out of place now with what we learned about these characters in previous seasons.) You really have Mayim Bialik saying "bone town" multiple times in one episode, and a few weeks ago tracking down the sperm donor? Holy moly that was out of character and just awful TV). They think that's funny and an improvement? There are other examples I've mercifully already forgotten but it's really changed the feel of the show. It used to have *something* that kept me watching but now there isn't much going for it.

I couldn't agree more and I know I could find a post of mine in a previous episode that said similar.  I thought last season was "meh" but I'd take that over this season any day for all the reasons you cite above.  Cringe-raunch comedy on a show about a quirky/kooky young woman looking to own a successful business and perhaps find love does not work.  Imagine if they did that to Mary Tyler Moore, LOL.  Sooo out of character!  It actually looked like they were finding a good direction in the first few episodes this season but it quickly took a nosedive once the out of character raunchiness started.  What gets me is a show with this much star power and presumed talent behind it should have much better writing than this.   There's only so long that the audience will put up with it just to see the cast, and with Leslie gone, who was probably one of the biggest draws to the show, I'm wondering how long it will take for the ratings to drop a lot.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2022 at 12:51 PM, BookThief said:

I don't know what the show's powers that be are thinking by increasing the raunchiness and zaniness of this show, but it ain't working for me (and I'm not against it in general, but it feels out of place now with what we learned about these characters in previous seasons.) You really have Mayim Bialik saying "bone town" multiple times in one episode, and a few weeks ago tracking down the sperm donor? Holy moly that was out of character and just awful TV

I stopped watching at Ep 3:4 when all the raunch talk started - especially Phil's euphenisms for oral sex.  I've been reading the comments here which just solidified my choice to stop watching

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

There's only so long that the audience will put up with it just to see the cast, and with Leslie gone, who was probably one of the biggest draws to the show, I'm wondering how long it will take for the ratings to drop a lot.

Leslie character was a hoot, but the draw of the show was the cat cafe.  To me, that was the nucleus to which everything else was built upon.  I even enjoyed the invisi-Bridgeeet in the first season.  Was an interesting quirk.  Randy is bossy, Shelia is a toxic mother, Max is a child, Carter has no appeal and Kat is in serious need of a spine.  I don't see this show being renewed

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am reposting this with updated terminology - I know now that the correct term is "drag queen".

I find absolutely nothing hilarious about Kat's relationship with her mother.  I don't mind a little toxicity between mother and daughter, that can be realistic and funny, but I'm just not finding this funny or endearing.  I'm thinking about other toxic parent/child relationships like on BBT, which could be downright cruel (like between Leonard and his mom) but still in my opinion funny.

I'm also not loving the plotline between Phil and the drag queen.  It just feels forced and not believable.  Like they were trying too hard to make a fantasy come true for Phil but it just didn't come off genuine enough for me.  The concept would be great if the writing didn't make me cringe.  God forgive me for saying this because I hate to say this now that Leslie is gone, but I'm glad it has no future on the show.  I wish that he didn't have to die for that to happen though!  I am still not over his death so maybe that has something to do with my reaction.

There's not just Uber and Lyft, but there are also free or subsidized ride services available for the handicapped and seniors in general.  Has it been established that Kat's mother lives close enough to walk to the shop?  I wondered that when she showed up there by herself.  I may have missed that.  At any rate, good on Max for telling her that Kat needs a break.

• Applause 2