Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Oh holy hell. It would be awful if that were true -- awful -- but something tells me it either isn't true or is being exaggerated. I just... oh fandom. Why do you always have to be such a fucking mess.

If some poor person's death is because he/she couldn't stand the storyline in a favorite show, there would almost have to be some mental health issues beyond just obsessive show love at play.  

Sometimes family and friends just need something to blame, that's not their loved one or themselves.  

• Love 2

The issue with the 100 is that the writers actively courted a very young queer audience by promising positive, progressive portrayal of queer women, and then killed one of them off in possibly the most stereotypically negative Bury Your Gays moments I've seen in ages (killed by an accidental bullet minutes after having sex with the girl she loves for the first time).  There's a lot of over the top negativity happening, but there's a fair amount of well deserved negativity as well, IMO, specifically about the way it was handled, not just that it happened.  It's all a huge mess.

In some ways it's way worse than anything I've seen in the Once fandom, but in a way not.  This is at least understandable anger (if you're going to actively court a very young very vulnerable demographic and then reinforce negative tropes that contribute to queer girls feeling like they will only ever suffer, you'd better be prepared to deal with some harsh backlash, and boy howdy were these writers not ready for the shitstorm they unleashed).  With Once, 99.9% of the time the fandom drama arises because people just can't respect difference of opinion.  

• Love 5

To be fair people had issues with the writers long before what happened in the blast episode. The way they treat people of color on the show turned me off way more than what happened in the last episode.

• Love 3

To be fair people had issues with the writers long before what happened in the blast episode. The way they treat people of color on the show turned me off way more than what happened in the last episode.

Lol I was going to say exactly this. Fandom is downright terrible sometimes, but I think that sometimes the fans are right on target with criticisms (see Mills, Regina). But at the same time, no one should ever a) commit suicide over a show or b) falsely claim that someone committed suicide over a show.

If someone did really kill themselves over The 100, there had to have been more issues there then just a favorite character dying, or feeling betrayed by a show you love. 

Personally, while I have not been near The 100 fandom, due to the whole explosion of anger and betrayal, I think the writers and creators deserve a lot of the flack they are getting. Patting themselves on the back for being so inclusive, then pulling off when of the worst Bury Your Gays in recent TV history is just about unforgivable, especially to a young, passionate fan base. While I think death threats and trying to get someone fired is WAY too extreme, they deserve to be called out for the awful mistake they made. 

• Love 1

This is probably why I give A&E some slack. I don't think they are writing a story so they can pat themselves on the back for being brave or whatever. The OUAT fandom tends to take things way to far because they aren't getting their way but the 100 fandom was sold on what type of show they were getting and then the writers took it away from them. My problem with that fandom is that they ignore all the other terrible writing because they were getting their way.

I get people sometimes watch for one or two characters but when you are so far up the writers butts (Arrow, and before last week the 100 fandom) and ignoring the crappy things that happens then I can't feel any sympathy for you.

(edited)

I don't watch Arrow so I can't really comment on that, but in the case of The 100 I *kind of* understand it. Because I didn't necessarily have the impression that people were completely blind to its many other issues. Because how can you be really, the writing itself hits you square in the face with it week after week, regardless of all the crap that's been going down behind the scenes on top of that this season. But Lexa was a one of a kind character in the current network tv landscape and I can see why especially young queer fans would cling to that even while the show is hugely problematic on other levels. It's hard to turn your back on something while they're just about the only ones who give you something you can identify with this strongly and who keep making promises directed at you as a particular part of their audience.

And this is why the showrunner is getting so much well deserved flack, he was very well aware of all that and toyed with their hopes because a young and/or queer demographic is promising in terms of social media buzz and general attention. And it worked. It expanded the show's audience in many ways. What is completely baffling is how he honestly thought he could pull what he did and there wouldn't be a strong reaction to it. Especially with his cast and some of his writers throwing shade or being openly critical as it is and with him now essentially blaming a young actress in her early 20s for this instead of accepting that he messed up.

It is strange, but I've almost developed a newfound sense of... well, not respect, but... tolerance... towards Kitsis and Horowitz after this. Granted The 100 sets the bar very low, but still. What I found nice, too, was to see how actors who had nothing to do with the Clarke/Lexa angle, but could relate to why fans identified with it so much, spent time talking to them on Twitter. And it seemed very reasonable to me for the most part. (Adina Porter, a woman of color, who has also been on the receiving end of their stupid writing decisions, made some very strong and valid points as for why the sense of betrayal and hurt over this should be taken serious.) Other than with Jason Rothenberg you get the sense they're all very aware of how much the show has messed there. Kitsis/Horowitz generally tend to lack that kind of insight into their own flawed writing too though, which then adds fuel to the fire for an already mostly hysterical fandom. But much of OUAT's fandom drama tends to stem from entitlement rather than actual queerbaiting. So yeah... I guess, what I'm saying is I sympathize with The 100 fans affected by this about a dozen times more than with those screaming queerbaiting, homophobia and what-not in our own fandom most of the time.

Edited by RedKeep
  • Love 2

I guess, what I'm saying is I sympathize with The 100 fans affected by this about a dozen times more than with those screaming queerbaiting, homophobia and what-not in our own fandom most of the time.

Exactly. Lexa and Clexa fans have every right to be upset. But the OUAT fans who live in fanon and not canon do not get a single iota of sympathy from me.

It is strange, but I've almost developed a newfound sense of... well, not respect, but... tolerance... towards Kitsis and Horowitz after this.

After reading Michael Socha's "soul-destroying" comments about how his character was wasted on the main show and how he couldn't see his son for nearly a year, I lost a lot of respect for A&E.

• Love 1

After reading Michael Socha's "soul-destroying" comments about how his character was wasted on the main show and how he couldn't see his son for nearly a year, I lost a lot of respect for A&E.

Oh dear, I haven't seen that one yet, but it sounds like something I'll have to read up on for sure.

Oh dear, I haven't seen that one yet, but it sounds like something I'll have to read up on for sure.

There's an article posted in the Will Scarlet thread and the Media thread if you're interested.

I am appaled about some rumor on the bts reason Sean could be leaving the show Adam had to publicly denied them.

IF people choose to spread this kind of thing without proof just to hurt.

Wellington done! They should be ashame!

Wow Larry is a PoS. As are the "fans" responsible for spreading this. I fell terrible for Sean. No ship is worth this kind of shit.

And why on earth are people tagging Sean in tweets asking Adam to deny this rumor?? This fandom is insane. 

Wow Larry is a PoS. As are the "fans" responsible for spreading this. I fell terrible for Sean. No ship is worth this kind of shit.

And why on earth are people tagging Sean in tweets asking Adam to deny this rumor?? This fandom is insane. 

Seriously. What the hell is this crap I'm seeing going around? I feel awful for Sean. 

Also, today was my first ever really checking out the twitter feed of that Larry dude. Jesus christ he is creepy. 

Wait, Larry is behind this? That explains a lot. I get that we all like to see spoiler pictures, but I'm starting to think we should consider banning him as a source for this board. He's just gross.

ETA: went to his Twitter and he said he's not going to be taking photos on set anymore. Fine with me!

Edited by sharky

Considering how they're also dragging Lana into this (the woman told "Lana", "Lana" told her to report it, "Lana" made sure the right person was fired), I'm gonna say Lana NEEDS to address this also. I usually think the cast should stay out of things (I think basically all of JMo's FB explanations were unnecessary - but they involved fictional characters, not real people) but this time Lana should call them out.

• Love 4

Where are these posts/tweets? And who are these people? Every time things like this come up, I get the desire to go through this thread and compile all their stupidity in one place.

• Love 1

Where are these posts/tweets? And who are these people? Every time things like this come up, I get the desire to go through this thread and compile all their stupidity in one place.

I just heard about this rumor yesterday, but after doing some digging around in the ugly world of Twitter, I'll try and compile the stupidity into one post. (I'm putting it all in a spoiler tag because this insensitive rumor shouldn't even exist in the first place, but if you're curious about what went down, feel free to keep reading.)

Adam was confronted by a fan on Twitter about a fabricated Blind Item that was supported by Larry. This other Blind Item makes it seem like the rumor was ship-driven because of their support for Lana, but their intensity to fire Sean. The makeup artist in question has denied the rumor.

Adam has since come to Sean's defense and shut the rumor down.

And because parts of this fandom are immaturely driven by their fanon ship and are completely selfish, they chalk this all up to man pain.

I think that about covers it. It's all utter nonsense and Sean doesn't deserve any of this.

Considering how they're also dragging Lana into this (the woman told "Lana", "Lana" told her to report it, "Lana" made sure the right person was fired), I'm gonna say Lana NEEDS to address this also. I usually think the cast should stay out of things (I think basically all of JMo's FB explanations were unnecessary - but they involved fictional characters, not real people) but this time Lana should call them out.

I agree. For a lot of these fans, whatever Lana says is like the word of god, so they won't respect anything Adam says, but if Lana says something, then they'll actually listen.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

I heard about this 2 days ago from a friend who is on Tumblr and got it from a CSer she's barely ever spoken to. 

I don't know, maybe it's time to stop placating SQers and ban Larry from the set completely even if he decided (or the show decided for him) that he will no longer take pics? This guy went to the Paris event last year and to Portland where Jen was for the con something like a month ago.

This guy went to the Paris event last year and to Portland where Jen was for the con something like a month ago.

He's going to multiple cons this year too from what I've heard. Fans I follow on Twitter who will be in Paris and Chicago for cons (both events which LP and SM will attend together) at least already complained about him going too. He has deleted his tweets about Sean by now after Adam called him out on "making up stuff" in response to another fan, but still keeps trying to stirr the pot with mentioning him by name. Guy is beyond creepy and if I were SM or LP I would refuse to be in the same room with him. And he should 100% be banned from set if that's not already the case.

They need to be really careful with spreading rumors like this, especially if they have real names attached or can be identified, because this reaches the level of "actual malice" required for a public figure to get a libel judgment. If you're spreading false rumors with hopes of getting someone fired so that person's character can't get in the way of your desired fictional relationship, that would count as actual malice.

• Love 2

The problem is that technically Once can't ban him from any set. Those fans are all there because they're filming in public and Larry has every right to be there as anyone else.

The real issue lies with US frankly. We're the ones who go to the YVR Shoots site and post links to his photos and pass them around on tumblr and even post links to them from our spoiler thread here. That's why I mentioned the idea of banning him as a source on these boards. It wouldn't be that much of an issue now since he says he won't be going to set anymore. But even so, if we ban him as a source it sends a message that we aren't going to give your site page views, and we aren't going to like or reblog your work on tumblr, and we aren't going to mention it on Twitter. Hell, if we wanted to, we could even start an email campaign to places like YVR to not use his photos. That's the only way something like this could stop. Remember that he is paying for tickets for these cons using money we generated for him. So the answer is not give him the ad dollars from our views.

• Love 4
We're the ones who go to the YVR Shoots site

Isn't YVR Shoots different from Larry? YVR Shoots is run by a woman named Susan (according to the About page) who actually adds some content (writing little articles). She gets tweeted information and posts it and sometimes she does go to the filming. Larry is a guy. She may link to some of his photos (IDK), but I don't think she is the same person.

How does Larry make money from his photos? Does he sell them?

Yes, YVR Shoots is a different person. I don't think Larry even has a website, he just posts his pictures on Flick. So I don't think he gets money from them. But I do agree on ignoring him.

Right, but YVR has used Larry's photos for stories, or at least they have in the past. Here's an example. I can't find anything since 2013 though so I may just have a very long memory or just remember random stupid crap. Of course that does make me wonder what exactly he does for a living and how he can either afford time off to be a set rat or how he pays for things like cons.

Wow, and now Natalie Abrams has just taken Adam's tweet ("Hey Oncers, some odd rumors out there about Sean Maguire — for the record he is a trusted member of the team a lovely man. The best!") out of context and has written an Entertainment Weekly article. It's clear that she has no idea what the actual issue here is.

Wow, and now Natalie Abrams has just taken Adam's tweet ("Hey Oncers, some odd rumors out there about Sean Maguire — for the record he is a trusted member of the team a lovely man. The best!") out of context and has written an Entertainment Weekly article. It's clear that she has no idea what the actual issue here is.

You honestly think she has no idea what's going on? This is the same person that asked if Emma and Regina would make magic together.

She knows.

• Love 3

You honestly think she has no idea what's going on? This is the same person that asked if Emma and Regina would make magic together.

I sure hope she doesn't know what's going on. Because if she does know, that makes her look terrible for using a tweet about a sensitive subject, taking away the context of the issue Adam was responding to, and using Adam's words for her article just because they happened to fit with some quotes she probably got from the 100th episode party about Regina's happy ending and hope.

So basically, Natalie could see a quote about a firefighter saying, "It was a tragic incident, the roof was on fire," and she'd write an article saying, "Fireman Bob threw a great party last night. I heard he played the song The Roof is on Fire."

This post has been updated. [...] This post originally included a tweet from Adam Horowitz regarding a different rumor.

At least she realized the mistake.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

However, I have to say I agree with the people saying it would have been better for Lana to simply post "I've heard of these allegations and they're not true" without reposting a screencap where all the details are spelled out. 

• Love 2

They think they might be helping Lana, but that whole thing about what she did, and how she gets stories changes, and how she refuses to work with people, that's not good for her career at all.  Her name is ALL OVER that screenshot about what she said and did, and it makes her sound like she's too big for her breeches.

I remember a few years back, some people started rumors about an actor, about how he only wanted to work with one person as his onscreen romantic partner, and the story took on a life of its own after that. Later, the story came out that when he tried out for pilot season, he was turned around by some casting directors because they said they heart he was difficult to work with.

So whatever service they think they are doing for Lana, they're not. 

Never mind what's happening with Sean. Although I had a good laugh at one of his tweets yesterday when he said that he thinks that Canadian Immigration's lines must be extremely busy.