Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Angel of Inferno

• Start Topic

So — excepting the perfection that is Ivy*— I was pretty grumpy through most of this (I kept crabbing, “What a dick!” at every man who wasn’t Our William).  Then the resolution came, along with the reclamation of Fitzroy, and I was just *delighted.

Did adore the dinner scene, when the Duke, it turned out later, wasn’t quite the unwitting cockblocker he appeared.  And I was ever so glad that Eliza admitted to William that she wanted him to think she was good at her job.  That’s such a human thing: craving approbation from the people we respect (and, dare I say, love?).

*I finally figured out that Cathy Belton, (Ivy) reminds me of Eileen Atkins!  Who I also adore.

• Love 5

Ivy continues to be fantastic. William crashing her dinner date was hilarious.

Boooo Basil u traitor how could you???? I suppose it comes with the territory of him being a shady newspaper man but he was delightfully entertaining and now I wonder if we'll see less of him.

Nash: meh. Super shady tactics and I feel like he could potentially end up as a love interest which I don't really want. Idk he gives off that flirty rival vibe. I also don't like his particular style of mustache. He'd look much handsomer with a clean shaven face or a shorter trimmed mustache imo. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Fitzroy has certainly grown on me in a very short time... is it too much to hope that he both survives the season and returns for next season?

Meanwhile, I would be very happy to never see Nash again. Or Fitzroy, senior.

I like him but I'm worried. His father is pushing him and now he is working for Nash. I get a feeling he is going to get in over his head and get killed. 

I found this episode to be quite irritating, there was just a tad too much going on for my liking.  I would have preferred a simpler case without the rival detective and the doublecrossing newspaper guy and without whatever is going on with Fitzroy.  I guess what I'd want is more of a true buddy cop show.  This show is called "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" but there's not enough of them interacting, she was mostly on her own this episode.

I found the bit in the beginning where Miss Scarlet is all affronted that she was being hired as a sideshow because of the novelty of a "lady detective" to be eye-rolling.  She's all mad but then he shows her the money and now she's cheapened.  I get that she needs to make a living but seemed off to me.

51 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I found this episode to be quite irritating, there was just a tad too much going on for my liking.  I would have preferred a simpler case without the rival detective and the doublecrossing newspaper guy and without whatever is going on with Fitzroy.  I guess what I'd want is more of a true buddy cop show.  This show is called "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" but there's not enough of them interacting, she was mostly on her own this episode.

I found the bit in the beginning where Miss Scarlet is all affronted that she was being hired as a sideshow because of the novelty of a "lady detective" to be eye-rolling.  She's all mad but then he shows her the money and now she's cheapened.  I get that she needs to make a living but seemed off to me.

She has to pay bills and she has Ivy to take care of too, so its not just her. 

I liked the episode very much but I love this show. I so want to see more of him but I always felt SHE is the star as her name comes first. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Fitzroy has certainly grown on me in a very short time... is it too much to hope that he both survives the season and returns for next season?

I'm hoping they find a useful detective niche for him to work.  Like, maybe he can become their blood spatter analyst, or really good with research.  Or maybe he becomes really good at witness interviews, because he comes off as harmless so witnesses trust him and are willing to tell him everything.  I want him to excel at something to shut down his abusive, asshole dad.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I really enjoyed this episode. Loved that Eliza not only figured out who the true blackmailer was, but also managed to outwit & embarrass the oily Basil and sneaky Nash!! Also have come to really like Fitzroy! I could see him meeting Eliza's 'assistant' Hettie & perhaps a romance might bloom there? Her beastly aunt is trying to marry her off.......

Edited by 4merBachAddict
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

Finally got to watch last night.

I thought it was cute! I was charmed from beginning to end.

Loved the dinner with Ivy and Potts looking nervous and uncomfortable and Wellington stuffing his face and complaining about Eliza like a husband complaining about his wife! Ha! And William trying to drag Potts into the conversation by making him admit how much he "loathes" Eliza  ( Potts is like --Loathe is such a strong word! - Ha!)

Anyway I liked that Eliza figured out the case and turned the whole thing back on Nash so that he accused the wrong man. I actually wouldn't mind someone else seeing Eliza's worth and making William jealous. Nash is a bit smarmy but so are many men from that time period -- case in point the guy at the botanical society being all creepy to Eliza.

I really enjoyed Eliza and William's cute little meeting the following day when she didn't show up at his office the night before with the report he wanted (Oh William don't huff and Puff -- I don't huff and puff! ) made me really like them together. I liked Eliza admitting that she wants William to approve of her and to find her work worthy.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Ivy continues to be fantastic. William crashing her dinner date was hilarious.

Boooo Basil u traitor how could you???? I suppose it comes with the territory of him being a shady newspaper man but he was delightfully entertaining and now I wonder if we'll see less of him.

Nash: meh. Super shady tactics and I feel like he could potentially end up as a love interest which I don't really want. Idk he gives off that flirty rival vibe. I also don't like his particular style of mustache. He'd look much handsomer with a clean shaven face or a shorter trimmed mustache imo. 

I will continue to think of him as “Pinky” Nash, as he has that slimy Pinkerton vibe (as well as tactics). He is thoroughly loathsome, and I can’t wait until Eliza squashes him for the insect he is. First, however, he’ll manage to strike a heavy blow and force her to respond. I’m not looking forward to that.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2022 at 6:29 AM, libgirl2 said:

I like him but I'm worried. His father is pushing him and now he is working for Nash. I get a feeling he is going to get in over his head and get killed. 

How is he working for Nash? William scooped him out of the hands of the detective he was reassigned to, just before a raid that most likely would have seen him shot. His father isn’t just pushing him, he’s physically beating him. I predict if the situation arises again, the Police Commissioner and William will come to blows-not good for William. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Daff said:

How is he working for Nash? William scooped him out of the hands of the detective he was reassigned to, just before a raid that most likely would have seen him shot. His father isn’t just pushing him, he’s physically beating him. I predict if the situation arises again, the Police Commissioner and William will come to blows-not good for William. 

Not working for him but assigned to him. And yes, his father is assaulting him. Sorry it didn't make sense, it was 5:30am and I was barely awake. 

Edited by libgirl2
18 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Fitzroy! I could see him meeting Eliza's 'assistant' Hettie & perhaps a romance might bloom there? Her beastly aunt is trying to marry her off.......

Nice couple, made for each other.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not working FOR him but assigned to him.

No, Fitzroy is working under Phelps, who is another detective at Scotland Yard/ colleague of Wellington. Not Nash, who is the private detective who was the rival for Eliza.

22 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm hoping they find a useful detective niche for him to work.  Like, maybe he can become their blood spatter analyst, or really good with research.  Or maybe he becomes really good at witness interviews, because he comes off as harmless so witnesses trust him and are willing to tell him everything.  I want him to excel at something to shut down his abusive, asshole dad.

He's already proved himself good at research, but the father doesn't care. If he's not a knock-some-heads-together type of guy, the father will likely consider him a failure. Maybe the father can conveniently die? Or Fitzroy can go work for Miss Scarlet?

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not working for him but assigned to him. And yes, his father is assaulting him. Sorry it didn't make sense, it was 5:30am and I was barely awake. 

Nash is the head of the private investigation office, the one Scarlet followed the “watcher” back to, entered, and demanded to know why she’d been followed. Nash was the detective who insists upon hiring her. Fitzroy is still working for the police. You’re probably confused because he introduced himself falsely as being WITH the police when he first started investigating the poisoning/blackmail. It was especially insulting because he gave himself the rank of Inspector (same as Will), and a ruse Scarlet would never be able to match (being a woman).

Edited by Daff
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, dargosmydaddy said:

No, Nash is the private detective who was the rival for Eliza. Fitzroy is working under Phelps, who is another detective at Scotland Yard/ colleague of Wellington.

He's already proved himself good at research, but the father doesn't care. If he's not a knock-some-heads-together type of guy, the father will likely consider him a failure. Maybe the father can conveniently die? Or Fitzroy can go work for Miss Scarlet?

Okay, I just got the names mixed up. All I know is the kid has a lot of potential and I worry that something is going to happen to him because of the brute of a father he has. 

1 minute ago, Daff said:

Nash is the head of the private investigation office, the one Scarlet followed the “watcher” back to, entered, and demanded to know why she’d been followed. Nash was the detective who insists upon hiring her. Fitzroy is still working for the police. 

I just got the names mixed up. I need to listen to their names! 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Okay, I just got the names mixed up. All I know is the kid has a lot of potential and I worry that something is going to happen to him because of the brute of a father he has. 

I just got the names mixed up. I need to listen to their names! 

I watch with CC on -- it helps with the accents and the names! Once I see them in print - I can remember who is who. I also remember by facial hair!

Nash was just introduced this past ep and has the smarmy mustache

Phelps was introduced in the fist ep and has the full bead and mustache (red hair to boot!) he kind of looks like he could play Van Gough.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Just now, taanja said:

I watch with CC on -- it helps with the accents and the names! Once I see them in print - I can remember who is who. I also remember by facial hair!

Nash was just introduced this past ep and has the smarmy mustache

Phelps was introduced in the fist ep and has the full bead and mustache (red hair to boot!) he kind of looks like he could play Van Gough.

thanks! 

The thing is I  know when I see them and where they came into to the story/series. I will not forget now! 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

thanks! 

The thing is I  know when I see them and where they came into to the story/series. I will not forget now! 

All the fake beards and fake mustaches can be disconcerting! and confusing! All the men look alike! haha! Sometimes the fake hair/wigs stand out so much I can't see past them!

• LOL 2
Just now, sugarbaker design said:

The Duke's hair is driving me crazy!  I don't like a handsome man with a bad dye job!

Is that what's going on? The first season I had a hard time with all that black hair.

I've gotten used to it now. Sort of

20 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Maybe the father can conveniently die? Or Fitzroy can go work for Miss Scarlet?

You know, I’ve been musing over that as well.  Maybe not so much the father dying 🤣 (I’d settle for a moment when he grudgingly gives his son due props).

I’m of two minds.  On the surface it appears to be a good match; however, William is now his teacher and surrogate dad, and recognizing people’s strengths and encouraging that development: a thing the Duke does well (his “Fool people: Be a girl!” advice to Eliza has paid dividends), and I’d hate to take that away from him.

Plus, Eliza’s de facto staff room (Moses, Ivy, Hattie) is already crowded.

• Love 2

I read up on the 'Angel of Inferno' plant (it's real), and it's known by several other names, the most common being jimsonweed here in the US.  It's both poisonous and psychedelia, if used in minute amounts.  That could have been a plot point.  The article also stated that it is most common in temperate, dry climates, so the show could be forgiven if no one in England was familiar with it. (🙄🙂).  However, they were right in saying that it came from the tropics, so that would have been a good plot device to involve Moses in the show, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Just read that S3 of MSATD will start on Jan. 8,2023 on PBS!! Great news - only a couple of months between the end of S2 & start of S3!!

I can NOT tell you how happy I am to hear that!

I hate hate hate the long breaks between some of these shows! They go away .. I forget...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I liked this one. Nash is a creep, I don’t like him and how dare he threaten Moses!

The only thing about this episode that I didn’t get was why, if Flint loved the younger Doyle so much, why he would take his father’s name OFF the product and deny him the inherited partnership??

• Like 3