Type keyword(s) to search

The Future of The Daily Show after Trevor

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She seems like she's having a blast though. I don't think she's treating it like a possible regular gig, and that's fine too. 

When asked if she'd like to host as a regular gig, she said no. She has too many other things on her plate. She said this when she was on The View on Monday.

I'm really hoping they can get Hasan to come and do guest hosting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I think it's going to be fun to have different hosts for a while, like 2 years ago on Jeopardy!  Most of those guest hosts weren't really auditioning but probably were there because they were fans of the show and wanted to have the experience of being on the other side of the desk, and they clearly seemed to enjoy it.  (My favorite was Robin Roberts, but I knew she wasn't going to give up her ABC gig.)

• Like 2

I like Leslie, I really do, but I'm glad she's just guesting; she just doesn't seem like quite the right fit here.  She (or the writers? or do they all work together?) just seem to be going for the broadest jokes based on the most cursory level of knowledge of the news.  Like after the report on George Santos (which I did enjoy), she went on to speculate that he was just there to distract from all the other craziness (good point!).  Then she went to say, meanwhile, what's MTG up to? Oh - perfect place to say "she's getting a seat on the Homeland Security Committee".  But no, just a silly Garfield graphic.  There were a couple other instances where she talked about some big news item, where it seemed like she should go a step beyond the "common knowledge" of a story and ask a few more questions. 

Ah, well.  Maybe I'm idealizing my memory of Trevor already.  Anyway, she's fun for a few days, but I think Daily Show needs a host who can dig a little deeper.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Next week will be Wanda Sykes' turn to host!

She's my favorite comedian, so I'm looking forward to that.  I'm enjoying Leslie so far - I liked her and Dulce talking about the MLK Jr. statue - but Wanda's comedy is really well suited to TDS. 

54 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

I think it's going to be fun to have different hosts for a while, like 2 years ago on Jeopardy!  Most of those guest hosts weren't really auditioning but probably were there because they were fans of the show and wanted to have the experience of being on the other side of the desk, and they clearly seemed to enjoy it.  (My favorite was Robin Roberts, but I knew she wasn't going to give up her ABC gig.)

Same here -- just like with J!, I like rotating through celebrity guest hosts enjoying a once-in-a-lifetime experience to tide us over until the next regular host takes over.

• Like 2
On 1/19/2023 at 1:16 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think Leslie didn't think she would be able to say 'bird pussy' either. 

She seems like she's having a blast though. I don't think she's treating it like a possible regular gig, and that's fine too. 

I agree. I think the guest hosts are going to be a mix of people who are guest hosting for a week as a serious audition, and people who are guest hosting for a week because it's a fun way to earn a paycheck between other paying commitments. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

I'm hoping that Jessica Williams guest hosts sometime. She was my pick to replace Jon,

I had that fantasy, too.  She was my favorite correspondent, ever.

Close second was Samantha Bee, and since Full Frontal got canceled, I hope they've at least talked with her.  She may not want the grind of a daily, rather than weekly, show, but if she wasn't one of the first people considered as the successor to Trevor, after seeing what she did having her own show, that's some bullshit.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I'm actually looking forward to Chelsea Handler. She had a Netflix talk show for a while that was a good mix of comedy with what's going on in the world. She actually quit the show to work with Emily's list to get more women elected to office. 

• Like 3
On 1/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I like Leslie, I really do, but I'm glad she's just guesting; she just doesn't seem like quite the right fit here.  She (or the writers? or do they all work together?) just seem to be going for the broadest jokes based on the most cursory level of knowledge of the news.  Like after the report on George Santos (which I did enjoy), she went on to speculate that he was just there to distract from all the other craziness (good point!).  Then she went to say, meanwhile, what's MTG up to? Oh - perfect place to say "she's getting a seat on the Homeland Security Committee".  But no, just a silly Garfield graphic.  There were a couple other instances where she talked about some big news item, where it seemed like she should go a step beyond the "common knowledge" of a story and ask a few more questions. 

Ah, well.  Maybe I'm idealizing my memory of Trevor already.  Anyway, she's fun for a few days, but I think Daily Show needs a host who can dig a little deeper.

I’m not sure what should go here and what should go in the season thread, but after two days, I’m really feeling like Wanda is the best fit so far. I don’t remember- is she actually going for the job or just filling in for fun?

40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t remember- is she actually going for the job or just filling in for fun?

She has so much going on (The Upshaws, stand-up, plus she produces), I can't imagine she'd want such a time-consuming gig.  Plus, she's got kids in school, so is unlikely to be willing to move her family to NYC.

But, yeah, I knew her humor was going to be the perfect fit for this gig.  She's wickedly intelligent, and stays on top of what's happening.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t remember- is she actually going for the job or just filling in for fun?

As a regular viewer, I do not know who is guest hosting as a serious audition and who is doing it for fun. There may be people with ties to the industry and insider knowledge who have a better idea of who is seriously auditioning and who is guest-hosting for fun. I would love for Wanda Sykes to be the new host, but she has so many other projects it's unlikely. 

• Like 1
Just now, ShadowKnight2 said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if, during all the guest host showcasing this year, Jon Stewart would step in to do one week's worth of shows? It'd be a longshot, for sure. But a fellow can dream, can't he?😁

I would LOVE that!!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Next week's guest host...D.L. Hughley.

I'm not familiar with his comedy, and he was one of the few idiots who celebrated Bill Cosby's raping self getting out of his jail sentence, so I'm not generally inclined to tune in for his stint.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

If I can’t have Jon Stewart back, I think the very best choice would be John Fugelsang. There is no other comedian I have ever seen with his level of both religious and political knowledge. His parents were a former nun and monk lol. He currently hosts a show on satellite radio, but I think he’d be a perfect choice. It is delightful to watch him handle trolls. He suffers no fools.

My other choices would be Godfrey or Hal Sparks. Godfrey’s only fault is he has a tendency to fall for misinformation and Hal lacks the interviewing skills.

Edited by charmed1
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

If I can’t have Jon Stewart back, I think the very best choice would be John Fugelsang. There is no other comedian I have ever seen with his level of both religious and political knowledge. His parents were a former nun and monk lol. He currently hosts a show on satellite radio, but I think he’d be a perfect choice. It is delightful to watch him handle trolls. He suffers no fools.

My other choices would be Godfrey or Hal Sparks. Godfrey’s only fault is he has a tendency to fall for misinformation and Hal lacks the interviewing skills.

Not bad choices, IMO.

(edited)

I've been watching this as they've been trying out new potential hosts. I used to watch all the time when Jon Stewart was there, but Trevor Noah just never did it for me. I think the reason he never clicked is he's too much of a "nice guy"--there was just no bite in his humor for me. Thankfully Samantha Bee had a show for years that I could watch that sort of filled the hole of The Daily Show for me.

Coming into the auditions and the list of people they were trying out, I was rooting most for Wanda Sykes, then Chelsea Handler and, third, Leslie Jones. Leslie Jones ended up being the best of those three, imo, which I found surprising since I'd never heard her talk about current news the way Sykes and Handler have. D.L. Hughley was also pretty good. But Hasan Minhaj, who I didn't even know at all before this if I'm being honest, has been the best fit for me? He suits the sort of smartass quality of the show, strikes just the right tone, and pulls off a lot of the bits they do really well. Outside the show, I would still say I like Wanda Sykes more than these others, but I don't know, maybe just not a fit with this show's specific vibe? Same with Handler. I used to watch her old show back when and she's always had a kind of..."raunchy" quality to me which I'm not sure suits TDS exactly? And a so-mean-it's-funny way of saying things. I still hope she gets a new show though. She was so good as a guest host on Jimmy Kimmel recently, more free rein and stand-up suits her. Maybe Joel McHale would be decent at this despite, like Jones, not really being someone I associate with talking current events since he's always had that smartalek quality from The Soup and all? Naturally part of me wishes they'd give Samantha Bee a shot though, still love her.

There may end up being better auditions to come still, but for now Minhaj is the one I'd say would get me to watch again hands down. The show where he has a meltdown over Twitter and the bit with Dulce Sloan blaming him for the train derailment in Ohio was hilarious almost the whole way through. And then there was the "fight" with Chieng on one of his other shows that had me rolling, too.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 4

The next round of hosts have been announced:

Roy Wood Jr. April 3-6th

Jordan Klepper April 17-20th

Desi Lydic April 24th-27th

Dulce Sloan May 1-4th

Michael Kosta May 8-11th 

I am looking forward to Roy Wood Jr. and Dulce Sloan. I guess they feel to be fair and give all of the correspondents a chance to guest host (they haven't announced the dates for Ronny Cheing and Lewis Black yet), but Jordan Klepper doesn't do his best work behind a desk. In the field he is beyond amazing, but I can't picture him as the host. 

• Like 1

I liked his hosting! He had something to say, he was acting like he cared about the issues, he didn't spend half the show fluffing his ego or wasting time on meaningless time-fillers, he wasn't punching down, and he was funny!

He came across prepared and invested, like he thought about it and took the job seriously, rather than just showed up and filled the chair.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 7

I was really impressed with John Leguizamo's first night too. He's been one of my favorites so far. Does anyone know if this is a serious audition for him or if he's filling time between other projects? 

• Like 2

I'm especially looking forward to Jordan Klepper hosting.  His field pieces are some of my favorites, but I'm curious to see how he does as a host.  I know he had a show of his own briefly, but I've never seen it.  I would also be very curious to see how Ronny would do.  

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Fable said:

I'm especially looking forward to Jordan Klepper hosting.  His field pieces are some of my favorites, but I'm curious to see how he does as a host.  I know he had a show of his own briefly, but I've never seen it.  I would also be very curious to see how Ronny would do.  

I'm sure Jordan Klepper will be fine as a guest host. He was ill suited to host his old show, The Opposition, because they were trying to do an alt-right version of Stephen Colbert's old CC show, The Colbert Report. He's talented, but he was more of a Scottie Pippen type of talent compared to Colbert's Michael Jordan, where he was able to actually convince right wingers he was on their side. When the likes of Alex Jones weren't fooled by his shtick, you knew the show wasn't going to go anywheres. Besides, he filled in the hosting duties one time when it was either Jon Stewart or Trevor Noah calling in sick, so he has experience on the TDS side of things.

I'm interested in seeing what Ronnie Cheing can do in the host's chair, whenever he does it.

• Like 1

I liked the dance off. He did the worm! I didn't know John's pal was the double on Flashdance either. 

However, in the news piece opener, I liked the clip where John pointed out that a congressman was equating high school with being in WWII. Come on. John looked genuinely outraged. 

• Like 3
On 3/28/2023 at 7:19 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I was really impressed with John Leguizamo's first night too. He's been one of my favorites so far. Does anyone know if this is a serious audition for him or if he's filling time between other projects? 

I keep seeing ads for a show he's hosting on MSNBC. I can't tell if it's a one off special, or if it's going to be a series. It doesn't look like a regular host/anchor news show, more like a cultural exploration. 

For folks who are discovering him for the first time, he has a show you can see on Netflix, which he did a while ago. It's called "John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons". Here's the blurb: 

In this one man Broadway show, John Leguizamo finds humor and heaartbreak as he traces 3,000 years of Latin history in an effort to help his bullied son,

I thought on Wednesday's show, the thing with the children chasing him was a mistake. I was enjoying everything else, and but that bit felt like a bit I've seen before, and it wasn't funny the first time. But other than that, I've really liked his hosting. Of everyone so far, he's the one who's seemed most invested, in a way. I liked some of the others, but none of them really wanted the job and you could tell. I don't know if Leguizamo wants it or if he's just got an approach that makes it seem that way. But it's refreshing, either way.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I was sorry that tonight was JL's last night as host. I hope he really is in contention for the permanent spot. He said on Thurs night that his show on MSNBC is a 6 episode gig, so I'm thinking maybe he really might be available for TDS. He really brought a lot of energy to the show. I don't know if the rest of his career is too busy to set aside for this, but so far I think he's by far the best fit from the perspective of a viewer.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2023 at 2:36 AM, possibilities said:

I thought on Wednesday's show, the thing with the children chasing him was a mistake. 

I agree. I love when they do person on the street segments, and I hate when TDS tries to do more scripted SNL like sketches. It would have been great to have more screen-time with the person on the street segment, and just skip the bit with the kids. 

@possibilities that's fantastic that he might be available! Right now, I am rooting for John Leguizamo or Hassan Minahaj to become the new permanent host.  

Is this show ever coming back? It should have returned this week when every other late night show did. It's not on the CC schedule for next week. 

Considering how it's floundered since Trevor left, I couldn't blame CC for quietly pulling life support from TDS. It hasn't been very good lately, and they've even resorted to bringing back guest hosts for a second stint, when they weren't very good the first time around. I bet every fan of the show could come up with a name or two of people they think could be great hosts (John Fugelsang and Hal Sparks are on my wish list), and deserve a shot, but TPTB don't seem engaged enough to notice, or care to put in the effort. 

IMO, get some motivated people in charge who are invested in energizing the show, or end it. The clueless group presently running things is just floundering in the dark. 

I keep waiting to hear when it's coming back. I wonder if we're gonna keep going with the guest hosts a while longer, or if they're holding off on more new episodes until they have the new permanent host in place?

I could picture the show just kind of bowing out too, but I bet they'd be reluctant to pull the plug during an election year. If they decide to end the show, I could see them marketing this as the "final season" and bring in guest hosts to get us through the election--if the show was ending, they might be able to draw some guest hosts they haven't been able to bring in so far.

I really enjoyed the guest hosts at first, especially the opportunity to see so many different perspectives, but I thought the show was a lot more uneven with it came back from the strike (though I thought all the correspondents did a great job with their hosting gigs.) Whatever they plan on doing with the show, I hope we hear something soon.