Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: There Will Be Blood

• Start Topic

Yeah, as I always say "eat the real food, not the fake." Dean would have been just fine if he went and got his pie from someone not using a fake sugar substitute. They want to have a discussion about food production--pre-processed foods in particular--in this episode, but they still manage to get the details wrong. You don't have to eat only bananas and water and you don't have to go to all the trouble Castiel did in making those sandwiches either, there is some middle ground here...oh, wait, I'm off on a tangent again.

Anyway, have no strong feelings one way or the other about this episode. I have an aversion to most things vampirey and GhostBobby was wearing thin by this time, but the Alpha Vamp is always a delight to see as was Edgar. So, the good and bad probably balance themselves out. Best part of the episode for me...vamptonite!

• Love 1

Finally getting to the end of my season 7 rewatch... and I agree the "vamptonite" was funny.

There was also some interesting stuff brewing with ghost Bobby. We were finally really seeing the effects on him and how off the wall he was potentially becoming.

It was also good to see the effects of Dick's bad diplomacy blowing up in his face. One of the consistent themes in this series that hasn't been LOL cannoned is that: arrogance gets the bad guys every time (and even Sam). It happened with Lucifer, and to an extent Michael. It got Zachariah, godCastiel, Raphael, Ruby, and finally in this episode Dick. By having the arrogance to try to doublecross the Alpha Vampire, Dick assured that the vampire would instead decide to help Sam and Dean and give them his blood.

The reason why Crowley has been so successful is that he knows he needs allies and/or leverage, and he doesn't underestimate his foes - like Sam and Dean. He also knows when to turn tail and run, and isn't too arrogant to do just that.

Not as good as the previous episode, and more in the okay category, but one I do watch consistently during a rewatch.

• Love 2

It was also good to see the effects of Dick's bad diplomacy blowing up in his face. One of the consistent themes in this series that hasn't been LOL cannoned is that: arrogance gets the bad guys every time (and even Sam). It happened with Lucifer, and to an extent Michael. It got Zachariah, godCastiel, Raphael, Ruby, and finally in this episode Dick. By having the arrogance to try to doublecross the Alpha Vampire, Dick assured that the vampire would instead decide to help Sam and Dean and give them his blood.

Taking to All Episodes...

Edited by DittyDotDot

I still have little feeling about this episode one way or the other. Lots of big things afoot, but possibly too many things for my taste. I do wonder about the Leviathan tablet though. First, I wonder how Dick even knew about it in the first place, but can make a reasonable thought on that. However, if it's all about Leviathan, shouldn't Dick already know what's on it? I get why he'd want to keep it out of anyone else's reach, but he acts like he has no idea how one would go about dispatching them. And, the irony is Sam and Dean would've never learned about it, and never learned how to kill them, if Dick hadn't been so keen on getting his hands on it. Not really important, just a musing of mine.

I have to say, that scene where they tap the human keg gets me giggling and singing along with Why Can't We Be Friends every time I see it. This show can be so very messed up and goofy sometimes--that's why I love it!

ETA: I think it would've been totally funny if Dean has secretly fed Emily some tainted junk food--I like the idea he took out the Alpha Vamp anyway.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

This was rather pedestrian.  What a coincidence that Dean and Sam just happen to be around when the alpha vamp has a change of heart.  Oh look!  They trusted a waif.  I wonder how that will turn out.

Yeah,  I caught the "next season" bit too.

I was surprised that Edward (I think it was) just outright admitted to Alpha Vamp that yeah, the Leviathans want to kill all the vamps.  Why not string him along even more, especially when he was ready to give up Sam and Dean?  

If Bobby was able to put in the safe code by himself, why did he need to inhabit the body of the maid?

Was the Crowley negotiation scene in this episode too?  I think so, but not sure.  I saw the last two together.  Just wonder what was the clause that allows Crowley to break/wiggle out of the contract?

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I was surprised that Edward (I think it was) just outright admitted to Alpha Vamp that yeah, the Leviathans want to kill all the vamps.  Why not string him along even more, especially when he was ready to give up Sam and Dean?  

Typical villainous hubris. I'd say the Levis thought they had already won and didn't need to placate others anymore.

If Bobby was able to put in the safe code by himself, why did he need to inhabit the body of the maid?

I think it's probably because he couldn't maintain solid form for very long. It was very draining and had to take "ghost naps" after doing his ghost tricks. I don't know why it's not equally as draining to possess someone though... ;)

Was the Crowley negotiation scene in this episode too?  I think so, but not sure.  I saw the last two together.  Just wonder what was the clause that allows Crowley to break/wiggle out of the contract?

The actual negotiation is in the next episode, but, I believe, they first meet at the end of this one. Anyway, it could be anything with Crowley. Look at how he managed to wiggle around giving Bobby his soul back. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

was surprised that Edward (I think it was) just outright admitted to Alpha Vamp that yeah, the Leviathans want to kill all the vamps.  Why not string him along even more, especially when he was ready to give up Sam and Dean?  

Edgar, and I think he had every intention of killing him just to make sure his blood couldn't be used.

On 8/21/2014 at 8:48 AM, DittyDotDot said:

Yeah, as I always say "eat the real food, not the fake." Dean would have been just fine if he went and got his pie from someone not using a fake sugar substitute. They want to have a discussion about food production--pre-processed foods in particular--in this episode, but they still manage to get the details wrong. You don't have to eat only bananas and water and you don't have to go to all the trouble Castiel did in making those sandwiches either, there is some middle ground here...oh, wait, I'm off on a tangent again.

Actually I agree about this too.  There is plenty of good food one can eat without HFCS because I specifically look for that when I shop because i know that stuff is fattening as all get out, moreso that plain old sugar (and imo is one of the main reasons so many americans are overweight - as opposed to other countries where there isn't as much processed food with HFCS).

I sortof presumed that they were wary about eating any sortof meat after what happened with the turduckin burger, they may have presumed that the Leviathans had perfected that recipe so that all meat was suspicious.  But surely Dick didn't control the entirety of all meat processing, the boys could have gone to a Halal or Kosher butcher, for example.  Potentially even the "organic" meats in grocery stores might have been safe too.

yeah, ok, tangent.  But Cas' efforts later on was really over the top.

• Love 1

"Keeping American living longer and tasting better." That is one hell of a Freudian slip. Poor Kevin. And Kevin's mom. It's always nice to see Crowley after a long absence. That's a nice coat Dean's wearing. Poor Dean. Betrayed by his second true love, pie. "I can't live on rabbit food. I'm a warrior!" Emily is the deputy from season 12. Damn, I'd forgotten that Bobby ever possessed anyone. Alpha Vamp actor has such presence. Bye, Edgar. Aw, they saved a kid...and got mistaken for kidnappers offscreen and had to jump out a window. I would've liked to see that. Alpha Vamp is such a reasonable monster. "See you next season." 

• Love 2

I'm seriously dreading the end of S7, cause I know what comes next.  But I like this episode.  

• I like Dick.  (hee hee!)  He was such a great, smarmy villain, but truly ruthless and smart too.  I'm going to miss him.  
  • Wacky sideburns aside, I also miss Sam's clean shaven face.  It's the dimples, man.  The dimples.  
  • I sure hope Kevin put an error or two in his translation for Dick.  Is it just me, or did Kevin translate that tablet awfully fast?
  • How long is a ghost tether?  Bobby can appear around the cabin where he wants, but he couldn't listen on Sam and Dean when they're ten feet away at the gas station cause they left the flask in the car?  Then later, he can 'scout' the vamp house while Sam and Dean wait in the car.  It wasn't consistent at all.  
  • I like that the guys built Stockholm Emily a fire.  That was nice.  And a Jody shout-out!  The guys were sending Wayward girls her way even then.  
  • Good to see the Alpha vamp again too, creepy fingernails and all.  
  • I liked Dean's Pac-man and True Blood snark.  But that "but Dean" from Sam while locked in the study was truly horrible.  
  • I liked that Sam bargained for the kid from the alpha vamp.  Personally, I think that took guts.  I know that the Alpha vamps needed the Winchesters in that moment, but they also needed him, even though they already had his blood.  They still needed him to let them go.  He could have so easily said no, and then what would they have done?  The needed the blood, so they would have had to leave without the kid.  It was a good bluff.  
    On 1/2/2015 at 10:47 AM, DittyDotDot said:

ETA: I think it would've been totally funny if Dean has secretly fed Emily some tainted junk food--I like the idea he took out the Alpha Vamp anyway.

If the vamps had unknowingly fed her tainted blood from humans who'd eaten the Leviathan Secret Ingredient, wouldn't her blood be tainted anyway?

5 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

If the vamps had unknowingly fed her tainted blood from humans who'd eaten the Leviathan Secret Ingredient, wouldn't her blood be tainted anyway?

I don't think they were feeding her blood in those IV bags. She wasn't a vampire, after all. I was under the impression they were just giving her all the needed human nutrients intravenously in order to keep her blood pure for the Alpha to feed on.

38 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I don't think they were feeding her blood in those IV bags. She wasn't a vampire, after all. I was under the impression they were just giving her all the needed human nutrients intravenously in order to keep her blood pure for the Alpha to feed on.

I thought that's what those IV bags were for - to 'feed' her.  Not the traditional way like a vamp drinks blood, but in the intravenous way of giving her nutrients through the addition of plasma, etc.  Otherwise, why would the vamps need to go out and hunt?

1 minute ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I thought that's what those IV bags were for - to 'feed' her.  Not the traditional way like a vamp drinks blood, but in the intravenous way of giving her nutrients through the addition of plasma, etc.  Otherwise, why would the vamps need to go out and hunt?

For themselves.

On 8/21/2014 at 8:48 AM, DittyDotDot said:

or sam could have surprised him one time by buying the ingredients and making one from scratch. or, maybe that's only what i would do for my brother since i adore baking and the lot ._. also, even if sam wanted to do it, they don't have the time, even if sam stopped by a public kitchen (the name of what they are really called escapes me atm, but it's for homeless people).

On 9/9/2014 at 1:55 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

The reason why Crowley has been so successful is that he knows he needs allies and/or leverage, and he doesn't underestimate his foes - like Sam and Dean. He also knows when to turn tail and run, and isn't too arrogant to do just that.

well said!

----------

i was half paying attention to this episode, i must admit. it's not that it was boring, it wasn't the episode itself as a matter of fact. my mother just kept looking at episode and eventually i ran out of gas and wasn't paying a lot of attention. however, when i heard the line "Virgins are a delicacy" my ears perked up. i like how SPN has stayed to some truths on vampires, more on how they are dangerous, but i'm always a bit sour at stories who mix them up. it's at the point that if someone makes a vampire that's actually to the book, it would be more surprising than one that isn't.  but at least they included some truth on vampires and virgins. i'm rather proud of myself for having a sort of "hunter knowledge" before i came to SPN. 

also the alpha vamp's voice alone would be enough to stop me from struggling. it's one of the most appealing voices i've ever heard. he needs to narrate stories, i would buy!

On 7/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, Hanahope said:

Yeah,  I caught the "next season" bit too.  

He need someone to carry the flask so that he could travel. Even if he could muster the energy to move the flask where he needed to go, a floating flask would have been conspicuously weird.

I feel like they have these really interesting ideas that all get shoehorned into a few episodes. I would have enjoyed a slow burn on this and/or more monster deals. The Leviathans* aren't playing nice with anyone else. 

I know the Alpha actor from The Magicians and really enjoy him. I really liked the Stockholm syndrome twist. The maid was shot suspiciously and you expected her to be a vampire or leviathan. 

*closed captioning tells me Leviathan doesn't change in the plural form but the internet disagrees. I apologize for any crimes against grammar. 

19 minutes ago, The Companion said:

The maid was shot suspiciously and you expected her to be a vampire or leviathan. 

That thought actually never crossed my mind.  I suppose it should have.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

That's always bugged me. Can you really stay healthy just on IVs for 10+ years?  I mean, she never had any solid food ever after having been kidnapped?  I would think by this time they really would have had trouble finding a vein.