Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Do You Love An Apple

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

It’s been a few months of relative peace in Helena, but all that’s about to change when Sunny Barnes and her family set up Sunny Day Excursions just outside of town. From the moment they arrive, things begin to go awry, with Cassie being called in to investigate a missing backpacker and the new sheriff in town, Beau, partnering up with Jenny to track down a murderer on the loose. A mountainous mystery begins to unravel for Cassie Dewell and Jenny Hoyt.

Premiere Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2022      10pm     ABC
164588_0114-900x0.jpg
164343_0555-900x0.jpg

• Love 1

Big Sky is back and has had some big (so sorry!) changes!

Seems like they've tone down some of the craziness this go around, but it thankfully was still entertaining for me.  Reba McEntire seems to be having a ball as Sunny and I can't wait to see more of her and whatever is going on with her creepy son/Seth Gabel.  I also wonder if her husband and the other son know anything about this either.  Pretty cool that Rex Linn is playing Sunny's husband since he and Reba are married in real life.  They had a fun chemistry and rapport on camera.  And Luke Mitchell certainly was getting his "hunk on" here!

Another quelling of the regulars, as only Jenny, Cassie, and Dennie return, with Beau, Tanya, and Poppernak have been upped to regulars.  Sounds like Jerrie and Lindor are off still trying to find the syndicate (and are now an item?), while I guess the Bhullars simply left and are letting Tanya run the show (along with Donno!)?  Of course, I could see them all/some coming back in some form.  I hope we see Ren again because Janina Gavankar is the best.

At the risk of coming off like a complete Jensen Ackles fanboy, I really do think he's going to be a fantastic addition this season.  He seems to have great chemistry with both Katheryn Winnick and Kylie Bunbury, and I already feel like his acting style/charisma meshes well with a show like this.  Smart move getting him here.  Did have a brief moment though when Beau mentioned having a brother, so I naturally couldn't help but picture Jared Padalecki in that role!

Figured Henry Ian Cusick's character was going to factor in more going forward, but I should have predicted it would be because he's Beau's ex's new husband and that Emily was Beau's daughter this entire time.  I'm guessing he'll end up being bad because that's usually how stepparents go in TV land!

Did find the couple annoying though and really wouldn't be that torn up if they're creepy Seth Gabel's next victims (assuming he's the killer.)

Lets see how this goes!

• Like 3
  • Love 8

I liked the premier. 

I'm really curios what's going on in the woods. Sounds promising. The fact that Beau's daughter is in there gives some interesting opportunities. 

Glad to see Jensen on my screen. Seems like there are daddy issues, but this time Jensen's character is the daddy. Very refreshing. He's worried about his daughter. Lovely! More, please! 😊 

Love the song in the beginning!

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Nice beginning to a new season. Lots of questions about Sunny and the guy in the woods to keep things interesting. 

On the personal front, Beau's past is just full of question marks. Need to fill in so many blanks.

• Love 2

This was the first episode I've watched, and I've got to admit, if Jensen Ackles wasn't in it, I don't think I'd stick around.  The premise is good.  It sounds like Sunny Day Excursions moves around each season so outcast weirdo son could have a whole slew of "missing hikers" under his belt.  I just wish there was more nuance.  Hearing the music and having the backpacker back up in terror without showing the creepy son and his knife would have been a lot scarier, I think.  The whiny boyfriend character can be knocked off any time.  How long is this glamping experience supposed to take?  I would think a week would be normal.  Are Emily and her new step-dad going to be glamping all summer?  A week doesn't seem like enough time for the "daughter in peril" story line to last the season.  There's potential here.  I just wish the actress playing Jenny was better.  She seems like a weak link, acting wise.  And the "B" story of Faith the bank robber who loves her daughter was hokey.  Again, no nuance.  She apparently threw Bill off his balcony, yet she gets sympathy from Beau because she's a parent?  

• Love 3

This was a terrible episode. I only started watching this show for Jensen Ackles, but going forward I may have to watch with the mute button on.Were we supposed to find the horny secretary funny? I cannot believe that in 2022 sexual harassment is still played for laughs. Imagine an old man lusting after a younger woman. The whole scene was cringworthy. As for Reba, her demented Joker smile made it obvious she was the villain. She might as well have been wearing a sign that said "I am the villain mwah ha ha." What a waste of an hour.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jen709 said:

This was a terrible episode. I only started watching this show for Jensen Ackles, but going forward I may have to watch with the mute button on.Were we supposed to find the horny secretary funny? I cannot believe that in 2022 sexual harassment is still played for laughs. Imagine an old man lusting after a younger woman. The whole scene was cringworthy. As for Reba, her demented Joker smile made it obvious she was the villain. She might as well have been wearing a sign that said "I am the villain mwah ha ha." What a waste of an hour.

Reba's smile looked like face-lift gone wrong. Her expression never changed. I never watched Big Sky before but my sister is a huge fan. It was kind of silly. What is Jensen thinking?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Is Sunny supposed to be from Montana? Do people in Montana have southern accents? Ugh.

No Sunny is not supposed to be from Montana.  She's a former Rodeo Queen who owns and operates a popular backwoods "glamping" company.  They set up in different places all the time.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

No Sunny is not supposed to be from Montana.  She's a former Rodeo Queen who owns and operates a popular backwoods "glamping" company.  They set up in different places all the time.

Thanks. She is beyond irritating.

• Like 2

I will shamefully admit I am also only watching this show because of Jensen Ackles, and I’ve got to say, without him I would likely not watch it otherwise.  Beau does have good chemistry with Jenny and Cassie, but I have no interest in any sort of hookups, and the two actresses are kinda bland.  I am a little surprised (or not, given the sorry state of broadcast network dramas these days), about the relative lack of chatter about this show, a season premiere, no less, and with some new characters.  I really didn’t notice Reba’s facial issues until the comment about the Joker, and after a rewatch, I can’t unsee her mouth now.  I like her, but was never a huge fan of her or her music, but l pretty much guessed that Sunny was mystery guy’s mother once she started lurking in the woods with the s’mores.  Beau and the glamping storyline and the ex-wife and daughter drama are the only things I’m interested in, plus at least the show gives Jensen the chance to play a completely different character.

• Love 2

I loved the premiere and love so many of the actors on it, both new and old.

Not a lot of time now, but I'll be back with a more detailed take as soon as I can.

Real life does sometimes get in the way of things, doesn't it? 🥴 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I cant tell if this is going to be an even wilder season than the last one, or more low key. For the most part things seem to be a bit more down to earth, but we also have Reba with a secret serial killer son in the woods, so who knows. I thought the premier was pretty good, the new cast looks promising, I always like Reba and I think giving a sinister edge to her charming southern persona will be interesting, the case seems promisingly creepy, and its great to see Jensen here. I'm generally a big fan of his work, but even if I wasn't coming into this as a fan I think he would be working well here, he has great chemistry with both leads and his acting style is really fitting the show well. I am also happy to see Seth Gable here as the killer son, its been awhile since I saw him on my TV. 

I figured there was something up with Henry Ian Cusick but I didn't see him being Beau's ex's new husband. I hope that they avoid the evil stepparent cliché and he isn't a bad guy, but I am still pretty sure this will end up with Beau saving the day and winning the dad competition. 

I know that Jenny has a very...shall we say lax approach to policing, and it seems like Beau does as well, but maybe before you start making stupid underwear jokes, maybe see why a mostly naked person is running down the road trying to get your attention? Shit is probably going down. 

I am glad that Tonya and Donno are still around, holding down the fort for the cartel (I hope Ren comes back for a visit) while running a café, which sounds like a sitcom that I would totally watch. 

Having a lot of the season set in a camping park in the mountains is a great excuse to see the pretty scenery. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

New season looks like trash. I wanna see the trans girl from last couple of seasons she was hot. That guy was playing her and the other cop. Did he run off with her? It was so weird they would bring her on the show and then she wouldn’t be on the show for like 5 episodes. I want drug dealer girl back on the show she was hot. Great character she was funny. Jamie Lynn Seiglers character is annoying. So she was a slave of them. Now she’s running the cartel? Kind of confusing for the plot. 

Reba Mcentyire is gorgeous. So I’m going to enjoy seeing her. And the blonde cop is so hot. She’s also great on the show. But why does she have to hook up with every cop she works with lol. I’ve been following this show since season 1 but season 2 looks way better then season 3 Reba Mcdntyires creepy son that was good for plot. But I saw that coming. I knew she would be a dark character. 

• Mind Blown 1

Ren is hot she’s definitely hottest character on the show. 

her acting shined every scene she was in. She would be so gangsta with saying little. I would’ve liked to see her story go more. She’s really a dynamic character because you never know what angle she’s coming from. I wish they would’ve left her on the show more. 

She added so much to the show. 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, tessathereaper said:
On 9/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, Cinnabon said:

Is Sunny supposed to be from Montana? Do people in Montana have southern accents? Ugh.

I wondered about this too. But if she is new to the area, how did Cassie know all about her?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've watched Big Sky since S1 E1 and man, was this episode a disappointment. I knew Jerri was going to be gone, but now Lindor too? WTH. And the guy in the mountains playing his tape recorder songs ... who couldn't hear that a zillion miles away, that's how sound travels in the outdoors. I guess he carries spare batteries because they were running down, then playing great in the next scene. And the old hack about people backing up and falling off a 500-ft. cliff. Gah. And Reba's face ... GAH x 2. The glamping thing is so ... ugh. I just can't. I love me some Montana but this show is pushing it.

• Like 2

I had been wanting to watch this show for a while when I learned that Kathryn Winnick was one of the leads.

I loved her so much as Lagertha on Vikings.

Still, I never did get around to watching it until Jensen Ackles became a part of the cast, and I must confess that I still haven't watched the first two seasons and likely never will.

That said, I do think that the writing of the S3 premiere was a little tighter, and as such, superior to the writing of the S2 finale.

But I have a feeling that I won't be watching this show for the writing. 

The show is very character driven, IMO, and I can go with that if the premiere was any indication of where things are headed for the rest of the season.

The best description I've read of Jensen Ackles' acting is that he would have chemistry with a cactus. I've also always believed that he is often somehow a catalyst for encouraging others to up their games while acting with/opposite him.

I'm looking forward to his interactions with both Jenny and Cassie. The three of them together at the ends of both the premiere and the S2 finale were Gold, and I think that the showrunner gets it.

Not sure if they will go love interest with either one of them, but if so, I'd guess Jenny, as Sunny's son seemed to have an eye for Cassie.

But even if they just keep them all friends, I'd still be happy as a clam.

Hoping that Beau's daughter is not written as annoying and bratty. So over that trope. 

I loved Henry Ian Cusick in Lost. So glad he's in this season.

Also love Jamie-Lynn Sigler. I might always see her as Meadow Soprano,  but then again, maybe not after this show. Love that Tonya and Donno are working together at the restaurant, and hopefully still up to no good.

And then there's Reba. 

I admit that I'm going to have a hard time seeing her as a baddie because I love her so much, but we'll see about that.

I'm most curious about how Beau is going to react if his daughter goes missing.

I love the whole glamping thing.

Absolutely love it.

Very much looking forward to episode 2.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I have to say that this season looks very promising.  

.  I'm so glad to see Jerri is gone!  This character didn't add anything to the show.  I did think it was a surprise that Lindor chose Jerri over very attractive Cassie.  I guess we never knew the real Lindor huh?

.  Jenson Ackles does add to the show.  I wonder how long will it take for Supernatural references to show up?

.  I know this show is suppose to be kind of campy, but the show should seek the help of a LEO to advise them on how a cop should wear their holster.  Jenny wears her holster on the front.  The holster should be on the side.  I guess it looks "bad ass and sexy" but very unrealistic.

.  People are assuming Sunny's creepy son is a killer.  If you rewind when the hiker fell off the cliff, he wasn't pushed at all.  The show might be trying to think he is a killer, when actually he is just a creepy guy.

.  I get the feeling at some point Cassie and Jenny are going to seek the help of Tonya and Donno.

.  Henry Ian Cusick, along with his role in Lost, also played Jesus in the movie The Gospel of John

.  I do agree that I hope Ren comes back at some point.  

• Love 1
On 9/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, MAK said:

I wondered about this too. But if she is new to the area, how did Cassie know all about her?

People move?  It's not really weird for people to have accents that do not match where they are at the moment?  The woman is in her 60's, if she lived in Oklahoma for 40 years it's unlikely she'd lose it even if she moved to Montana 20 years ago so what's the big deal?  Henry Ian Cusick's character lives in Montana and has a British accent.  Sunny can live in Montana and have an Oklahoma accent.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I still enjoy the heck out of this crazy show. It does almost seem (semi) normal compared to the past couple of seasons, ha, at least for now. Even Jenny seemed less obnoxious than usual.

That beginning scene with the lone hiker was so unbelievably tense.

I've always liked Reba, who knew she could do creepy so well? Is the husband in the know about the creepy serial killer son hanging in the woods?

I couldn't believe the city couple that just decided to keep hanging out away from camp after they heard the eerie music. Have they never seen a horror movie? Run, idiots!

Jerri and Lindor being together offscreen was a surprise - didn't he essentially choose Cassie last season? I still love both characters and hope they return.

Jensen fits right into the cast - I'm sure the show will pair him with Jenny, since Cassie has the flirt going with Reba's (also evil?) son but I really like the three of them as friends, doing movie night.

Donno is still hilarious, and I do kind of miss Ren.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I have to say that this season looks very promising.  

.  I'm so glad to see Jerri is gone!  This character didn't add anything to the show.  I did think it was a surprise that Lindor chose Jerri over very attractive Cassie.  I guess we never knew the real Lindor huh?

.  Jenson Ackles does add to the show.  I wonder how long will it take for Supernatural references to show up?

.  I know this show is suppose to be kind of campy, but the show should seek the help of a LEO to advise them on how a cop should wear their holster.  Jenny wears her holster on the front.  The holster should be on the side.  I guess it looks "bad ass and sexy" but very unrealistic.

.  People are assuming Sunny's creepy son is a killer.  If you rewind when the hiker fell off the cliff, he wasn't pushed at all.  The show might be trying to think he is a killer, when actually he is just a creepy guy.

.  I get the feeling at some point Cassie and Jenny are going to seek the help of Tonya and Donno.

.  Henry Ian Cusick, along with his role in Lost, also played Jesus in the movie The Gospel of John

.  I do agree that I hope Ren comes back at some point.  

Easter egg #1 Jensen holding moose plushie with I Love You tshirt while talking about his bratty brother.

I didn't notice any others.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

People move?  It's not really weird for people to have accents that do not match where they are at the moment?  The woman is in her 60's, if she lived in Oklahoma for 40 years it's unlikely she'd lose it even if she moved to Montana 20 years ago so what's the big deal?  Henry Ian Cusick's character lives in Montana and has a British accent.  Sunny can live in Montana and have an Oklahoma accent.

Wasn't commenting on the accent or origin. She could very well have been in MT for 20+ years, raised her kids there.   IMO, the interaction between Cassie and Sunny's son (Cormac?) seemed to be one between people who knew each other since they were younger. But, If the story is going to be multiple missing hikers over a long period of time, how come they haven't come across her in that relevance before? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

So I agree. Jerri was my favorite character. Jerri is hot I would’ve chose Jerri over Cassie. 

but real talk dude was nothing but a player banging both chicks. And he got that Jerri ass and was like I ain’t never coming back Eddie Murphy voice Harlem nights. 

But Jerri kind of gave him an ultimatum but nobody called him out on his bullshlit. 

someone mentioned horny secretary that’s not sexual harassment I just think she has a crush and she hasn’t gotten any wiener all series so she can get a little. All the other chicks are hooking up. 

I still hope Jerri comes back. What an arch for a character going from being a victim of trafficking to being an investigator and kicking ass the show needed more of her. 

As an actress all her scenes were the best acting and her and Ren in my opinion two of the best characters on the show. 

Also when you talk about the subject matter plot where the writers took us in the pilot. That was heavy stuff. Just think it was way more interesting. The cop investigating the kidnapping was the actual kidnapper and trafficker his wife. All that there was just so much. 

you look at season 3 to that? It’s nothing not even close. I was like wow way different. Every episode of season 1 was on edge. Even season two kids find money steal it hide it. There’s already the cliff hanger what now. They witness somebody getting killed it was just so much stuff. Season 3 I know it’s gonna be a roller coaster but this was very different.