Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Princess and the Queen

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Ten years later. Rhaenyra navigates Alicent’s continued speculation about her children, while Daemon and Laena weigh an offer in Pentos.

Reminder: 

There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read any of the related books to date. 

Glad we got confirmation on who set the fire that killed the Strongs. I wonder how many of the questionable events from the books are going to end up being Larys did it.

Shame it seems like the kids were actually friendly but seems like the adults are going to make them enemies. Though it seems like Aemond was the odd one out. 

Also it is an interesting choice with how they are portraying Alicent’s daughter. Seems she may be what Viserys wanted to be a dreamer 

Is Lary’s a green seer or a warg? It is interesting that they are constantly focusing on the rats around the courts and I don’t know if I was seeing things but it looked they were focusing on a bug on one of the assassins. 

Edited by ybrik
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think I'm starting to prefer the antiseptic way Fire and Blood tells this story. Reading/listening to all these people be horrible to each other is less stomach-churning than watching it happen in disturbing detail on the show. I was already dreading Blood and Cheese, and that bit of theater was sickening enough through narration. Now? I want to take precautions so I never see HotD's version of that event, because I know I won't be able to stomach it.

• Love 1

Seeing a lot of complaints on the no spoiler thread about why the big time jump, and I have to say I agree. I'm reading this right now, and it seems like we're in for nothing but war, war, war, and dying dragons from here on out. Couldn't they have filled this gap with actual plot before going to all the warring?

• Love 4
On 9/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, ybrik said:

Glad we got confirmation on who set the fire that killed the Strongs. I wonder how many of the questionable events from the books are going to end up being Larys did it.

Nothing the show "confirms" is actual book canon though. Whether Larys killed his family, or Daemon killed his wife, or the sequence of events leading to Rhaenyra's and Cole's estrangement... it's still the show's adaptation of the book. Just like in the show, Alicent and Rhaenyra are the same age and besties, Mysaria's miscarriage, and Laena's death by childfever, which are some of the several examples of "hard" canon (i.e. irrefutable facts, not "different people have different opinions on what happened") details that the adaptation changed from the books.

Murdering his family IMO made no sense, but it looks like the show wants to make Larys the designated Big Bad, which makes sense for a screen adaptation where the audience needs someone to specifically root for or against.

Edited by ursula
3 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Seeing a lot of complaints on the no spoiler thread about why the big time jump, and I have to say I agree. I'm reading this right now, and it seems like we're in for nothing but war, war, war, and dying dragons from here on out. Couldn't they have filled this gap with actual plot before going to all the warring?

Actually, I think they would've been better starting with ep 6 as the first ep and showing all that went before in flashbacks. But what do I know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Actually, I think they would've been better starting with ep 6 as the first ep and showing all that went before in flashbacks. But what do I know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. They're rushing through the back-story to get to the main story, so it would have been simpler to just... start with the main story and show flashbacks every once in a while. 

I've gone from thinking making Alicent and Rhaenyra besties was a great idea to realizing it was a terrible idea because it skews so many characters's motives and makes certain plots nonsensical. Alicent going from "Rhaenyra had premarital sex and lied to ME about it" to "Rhaenyra will murder my children" is a stretch even by medieval deadly political standards. Viserys being outraged over waiting a few years for Laena to be the same age as Alicent to have sex... was I guess supposed to make him look reasonable and "modern" but it just made him a hypocrite who was in a hurry to bang a girl young enough to be his daughter. 

Edited by ursula
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, ursula said:

Viserys being deaf, dumb and blind to Rhaenyra's Strong boys, when he literally once gave her abortion tea is also nonsensical. 

He is not blind to it, he knows it is true, just like he knew it was true that Rhaenyra had sex and sent her the moon tea.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, LanceM said:

He is not blind to it, he knows it is true, just like he knew it was true that Rhaenyra had sex and sent her the moon tea.

Him knowing for certain in the show is actually worse. In the books, Viserys was in a state of happy delusion where he might have had some fleeting doubts, but he refused to entertain them. 

That show-Viserys knows, and he's still insisting that she'll be Queen after him is nonsensical. 

Edited by ursula
On 9/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, Constantinople said:

Alicent (to Aemond): You will have a dragon one day.
Helaena (to herself): He'll have to close an eye.
Nice foreshadowing.

I caught that too!  Said so matter-of-factly.  I did wonder if her previous statement about the millipede had a hidden meaning - "the last segment has no legs at all".  It was probably just more "hey, Helaena is a little odd" dialog.

Regarding Aegon's exhibitionism out the window Tommen later dives from, was that a subtle nod to the fact that there's a video on the interwebs of Tommen's actor (Dean Charles Chapman) and his cousin jerking off for a webcam audience?  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1