Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters in The Media

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

EJWKFoSLVvfdFzKaAEdEah-1200-80.jpg.webp

The Winchesters is a Supernatural/Horror TV Series airing October 11 at 8 p.m. on The CW. It is filmed in New Orleans and is a prequel to the Supernatural TV Series.    
the-winchesters-poster.jpg

Before Sam and Dean, there was John and Mary. Told from the perspective of the narrator, their not as yet born son, Dean Winchester. The Winchesters is the epic, untold love story of how John met Mary and how they put it all on the line to not only save their love, but the entire world.

Fci5RexacAIQ_kh.jpeg

The Winchesters takes place in 1972. The music of the '70s plays a major role in the show and even has a part in John’s story. John returns from the Vietnam War, on a mission to uncover his father’s past. This leads him to a secret organization, where John learns how to become a monster hunter, with the help of Mary and her team. 

Meg Donnelly plays Mary Campbell, a 19 years old, who has been fighting the forces of darkness since she was a child. After losing someone close to her, the hardened hunter considers quitting the family business — until her father disappears. Then there is the arrival of newcomer, John Winchester, causes her to rethink her options and lead a new team.
MV5BN2YyZDBmMGQtYWQ1Mi00MTY1LTg4ZDUtMjgx

Drake Rodger plays John Winchester. Recently returned from Vietnam, the selfless and clearheaded John Winchester finds a new mission back home, where traces of his father’s past lead him to a secret organization and a whole new purpose as a hunter.

Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester, the narrator.

Nida Khurshid as Latika Desai. Fiercely intelligent and braver than she believes, Latika Desai is a young hunter-in-training whose research and problem-solving skills help her face her fears in battling dark forces.

John, Mary, Latika, Carlos 
MV5BMjE4NWI0MTktZmQxNS00YzZkLTk4NTUtZThk

Jonathan "Jojo" Fleites as Carlos Cervantez. Carlos is easygoing and confident, a natural when it comes to fighting demons and a boost of positivity for the team as it takes on more serious threats.

Demetria McKinney plays Ada Monroe, a studious and sharp bookstore owner who also takes interest in the mysteries of the occult.

Bianca Kajlich as Millie, the mother of John Winchester. Millie is a hard-working, tough parent who worries about John and is particularly concerned about his plan to pursue a life of danger while saving people and hunting things.

Bridget Regan as "Rockin’ Roxy", she is a honey-voiced pirate radio DJ who has an electric charm and a rapidly growing fanbase. She has hijacked the airwaves of Lawrence, Kansas to broadcast a wicked new sound, but not all of Roxy’s listeners are of the human variety.

• Love 2

This interview gave me a little hope that the series will be on the darker side. The clips they have shown so far, IMO, seemed more Scooby-doo than drama.  I know it's being touted as a "Supernatural Love Story," but I truly hope it's more character driven and darker.

• Love 2
(edited)

Meet the Cast

Meg Donnelly as Mary CampbellWHS_Meg_GreySeamless_01249r-541dce3ef153

Drake Rodger as John WinchesterWHS_Drake_GreySeamless_00341r-a49022eb38

Nida Khurshid as Latika DesaiWHS_Nida_GreySeamless_02500r-8cda2b5c339

JoJo Fleites as Carlos Cervantez
WHS_Jojo_GreySeamless_01687r-17b89f6cfd6
Demetria McKinney as Ada MonroeWHS_Demetria_GreySeamless_01986r-d76dd5b

Bianca Kajlich as Millie Winchester WHS_Bianca_GreySeamless_02821r-392918a50

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, MAK said:

This interview gave me a little hope that the series will be on the darker side. The clips they have shown so far, IMO, seemed more Scooby-doo than drama.  I know it's being touted as a "Supernatural Love Story," but I truly hope it's more character driven and darker.

Totally agree. The marketing seems to have taken a darker tone lately, a hopeful sign in my book. 

Tom Welling Joins ‘The Winchesters’ CW’s ‘Supernatural’ Prequel Series

Tom-Welling.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Tom Welling will play Samuel Campbell, (originally played by Mitch Pileggi in Supernatural), Mary Campbell’s dad and the patriarch of the Campbell Hunting family. Samuel taught Mary everything he knows. Gruff and pragmatic, he’s a veteran Hunter who prefers actions over words—and it’s always his way or the highway. But when Samuel teams up with Mary and her friends to save the world, he won’t only have to defeat the most dangerous monster he’s ever faced—he’ll also have to mend his broken relationship with his daughter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In this interview Robbie Thompson once again says the show will not undo any SPN canon. 

The Winchesters will not erase Supernatural canon. Thompson says that when Jensen and Danneel Ackles approached him with the idea for the show, his first thought was that he didn't know how that would work, which made it even more intriguing. "And then it was like an itch I couldn't stop scratching, in the best way possible," he says. "We were all very, very clear that we wanted to make sure that we weren't breaking anything. I know it seems like we have, but without spoiling anything, I can say with 100 percent certainty that we will not be undoing anything of Supernatural." 

And also other titbits like the big reveals in Ep13.

https://www.tvguide.com/amp/news/the-winchesters-boss-breaks-down-what-secrets-will-be-revealed-after-that-series-premiere/

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, WildFlower87 said:

I hope everybody has access to HBO MAX. I have a feeling that is where everyone is going to have to go in order to watch any CW scripted series. Nextstar is cleaning house. Nothing has been renewed for next season either. The CW is done.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I hope everybody has access to HBO MAX. I have a feeling that is where everyone is going to have to go in order to watch any CW scripted series. Nextstar is cleaning house. Nothing has been renewed for next season either. The CW is done.

Yup, Nancy Drew and Stargirl both got cancelled recently. They're cleaning the house. 

• Sad 1

Everything is going as expected. Deadline just put out an article that the CW isn’t picking up the back nine for the Winchesters and walker independence. They cast doubt on any shows getting renewed including Walker. Jensen will probably shop the show around but he should have been told by now that there is no future on the CW.

• Love 1

They probably had an idea about this going in. That's why they keep saying everything will be "explained" in Ep13. That episode could probably be seen as a series wrap or jumping off point for further stories.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Everything is going as expected. Deadline just put out an article that the CW isn’t picking up the back nine for the Winchesters and walker independence. They cast doubt on any shows getting renewed including Walker. Jensen will probably shop the show around but he should have been told by now that there is no future on the CW.

No studios could or probably would match the price they are asking in terms of covering costs for scripted shows or lets say what they are offering which is a licence fee of 1 million per episode. That`s not gonna cut it these days. Nexstar had a commitment for the 2022/23 Season that CW put together but beyond that they might go full cheap reality, news and old international shows bought for scale. 

Bad timing if it was still the old CW, they could probably be happy that the Winchesters picked up viewers again in ep 3 and 4 and the demo is pretty steady. By CW standards, it`s a little winner.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

No studios could or probably would match the price they are asking in terms of covering costs for scripted shows or lets say what they are offering which is a licence fee of 1 million per episode. That`s not gonna cut it these days. Nexstar had a commitment for the 2022/23 Season that CW put together but beyond that they might go full cheap reality, news and old international shows bought for scale. 

Bad timing if it was still the old CW, they could probably be happy that the Winchesters picked up viewers again in ep 3 and 4 and the demo is pretty steady. By CW standards, it`s a little winner.  

There is zero doubt the CW as it stands is going to look radically different a year from now. It will be mostly reruns and reality programming, with a handful at best of original programs. It's not surprising at all that none of the freshmen series are going to get anything more than their original episode order. There are still series that won't even start until midseason, like Superman and Lois which takes over The Winchesters' spot.

I think TW has as good a shot as any series to get a 13-episode renewal, but it's going to be tough given how few original programs will stay on the CW - or whatever it's going to be called. Honestly, I never wanted TW on the CW in the first place, but clearly Pedowitz really wanted it, and Jensen had a good relationship with him and the CW before this. The other problem is that HBO Max is going through it's own upheaval when it merged with Discovery+, so that landscape is changing right now too. Before the merge that would have been the streaming platform TW would have gone to if it didn't go to the CW.

We'll have to wait and see, but no, nothing is guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

IMO that's why it's important to support it.  There is always a chance.  I mean CBS is on board in some capacity as well, there is always a chance it could even end up on Paramount+, you never can tell but what we can do is show them it would be worth their while.  And even if it's 13 and done,  make it a show that was great and was doing really well, building an audience and fanbase but other stuff got in the way, not an "oh well would have gotten cancelled anyway"(because it most likely wouldn't, it's got the second best Demos on the network, under other circumstances this was pretty much a guaranteed renewal)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2022 at 5:38 AM, Lastcall said:

This interview seems to be the nail in the coffin for any current CW series. It's over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cw-entertainment-president-brad-schwartz-interview-1235253706/

Pretty much it boils down to he wants to produce shows that cost $100,000 per episode. Walker-verse costs over $2mil. I'm sure that TW, S&L etc. are the same. It's over.

And with all the upheaval with the WB and Paramount it's unlikely they will find a home on those streaming services either. None of the CW shows brings in anywhere close to a million viewers and the ratings are .1 in the Demo. Doesn't look very promising.

I don't think that Jensen can "shop" The Winchesters series around. It's the property of WB. 

Edited by Casseiopeia
9 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

This interview seems to be the nail in the coffin for any current CW series. It's over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cw-entertainment-president-brad-schwartz-interview-1235253706/

It seems like they just want cheaper shows, ones they can produce themselves (instead of buying from other sources who then get the streaming revenue.)  He also specifically says he wants more comedies (which tend to be cheaper to produce) so I'd be worried about the more expensive action oriented shows, but it's not *really* over yet.  Yet.  

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

It seems like they just want cheaper shows, ones they can produce themselves (instead of buying from other sources who then get the streaming revenue.)  He also specifically says he wants more comedies (which tend to be cheaper to produce) so I'd be worried about the more expensive action oriented shows, but it's not *really* over yet.  Yet.  

That entire article was exec-speak for we aren't going to pick up the cost of scripted shows that cost over $100,000 to make. WB and CBS aren't going to give up licensing fees for streaming services to this guy so he can share in their profits. It really is over.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Pretty much it boils down to he wants to produce shows that cost $100,000 per episode. Walker-verse costs over $2mil. I'm sure that TW, S&L etc. are the same. It's over.

And with all the upheaval with the WB and Paramount it's unlikely they will find a home on those streaming services either. None of the CW shows brings in anywhere close to a million viewers and the ratings are .1 in the Demo. Doesn't look very promising.

I don't think that Jensen can "shop" The Winchesters series around. It's the property of WB. 

Never in my life have I heard (or read) someone use the word "scrappy" so many times in one sitting. And he clearly didn`t look at the humbers yet. "Why do some of these shows not get more than a million viewers?" Dude, NONE of these shows have remotely touched that in this and probably last Season. In the past, sure, but in the past bigger network shows also had way bigger demos and viewership. I think everything is down rather same percentage-wise. 

As for shopping the show, if Warner could make more money via licencing it to another distributor, I don`t think in theory they`d object. It`s just a question of deal-making.   

It doesn't mean it's over, it means the shows need to have something they can build on, not cost an exhorbitant amount for what they are getting out of them.  They most likely will still keep some shows for at least another season.  If The Winchesters demos keep up, which they have been, it'll probably be one of the shows that makes it until next season.  

• Like 1
On 11/2/2022 at 7:48 AM, MAK said:

They probably had an idea about this going in. That's why they keep saying everything will be "explained" in Ep13. That episode could probably be seen as a series wrap or jumping off point for further stories.

Yes, as soon as I read Robbie's interview about all the reveals in Ep13, that was my first thought - it may not get a back order for more episodes on the CW with the purchase by Nexstar. It would be great though, if the series could get a second 13 episode season on the network or a streaming service. It' so sad, without the sale and Pedowitz's removal, the show would have had a very successful run IMO.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nick24 said:

Let's keep in mind what Castiel told Dean when they first met -- ''Good things do happen''. So, let's hope some good things happen to the prequel. Don't disappoint us, Cas!😉

And then there was Dean's answer--"not in my experience."  And everything Cas said was a lie anyway.  The angels did have an ulterior motive, and it wasn't just doing a good deed.  ☹️ 

Sorry.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

It doesn't mean it's over, it means the shows need to have something they can build on, not cost an exhorbitant amount for what they are getting out of them.  They most likely will still keep some shows for at least another season.  If The Winchesters demos keep up, which they have been, it'll probably be one of the shows that makes it until next season.  

One of the things the new exec mentioned was spending millions for an episode that doesn't even bring in a million viewers with barely a .1 demo. The Winchesters don't come close to a million viewers at .1 in demo and they cannot produce a decent series for under 2 mil (specially with all the COVID protocols in place). Even if production moves back to VC it can't be done any cheaper than the budget they have. It won't be worth the actors or producers ,writers and directors + crew their time to take a massive pay cut. None of the shows will do that.  Walker does really well on HBO Max in reruns. I am pretty sure that is where TW, S&L, Walker-verse and AA will eventually end up. WB isn't going to let anyone get the rights to the Supernatural name brand. TW will end up on their streaming service at about 10 eps per season.

• Useful 1

I listened to the Warner bros discovery investors call today and they had some interesting things to say about the HBOMax side and their scripted show strategy. They said they wouldn’t pay 7 million for a show that gets a .03 in the ratings when they can get triple the ratings with a friends or two and a half men rerun. They said the exclusive shows and movies weren’t bringing in subs and is a waste of money. They are big on licensing IP. They can license Rawhide and Bonanza to tubi and Pluto and have a constant stream of revenue. 

That is where Supernatural shines. It still regularly hits the top 10 in acquired show ratings along with friends and Big Bang. Supernatural is also very popular over seas. I think the WB owns Supernatural outright so they don’t have to worry about losing the rights. I don’t think HBOMax will pick anything up but I’m sure they will let Jensen pursue platforms like Netflix. The best bet is put everything they have in the 13 episodes and use it as a giant pilot for anyone willing to buy it.

• Like 2

Seems like HBO MAX might not be a viable landing place for series that aren't bringing in the money it costs to make them. I hope everyone is planning a series ending episode.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/warner-bros-discovery-cost-cutting-3-billion-increase-1235421665/#recipient_hashed=28c93646a657ccf9fc7933ccf4021bc9ad7b8c07dc09e6614a26ca96ecd47930&recipient_salt=f4a80e4476eb8af5e75241d313341ce7d8db1ef87ac28b4b882baf284aad8b56

6 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Seems like HBO MAX might not be a viable landing place for series that aren't bringing in the money it costs to make them. I hope everyone is planning a series ending episode.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/warner-bros-discovery-cost-cutting-3-billion-increase-1235421665/#recipient_hashed=28c93646a657ccf9fc7933ccf4021bc9ad7b8c07dc09e6614a26ca96ecd47930&recipient_salt=f4a80e4476eb8af5e75241d313341ce7d8db1ef87ac28b4b882baf284aad8b56

Cost-cutting has been the strategy since the deal closed. Problem is, it's basically all Zaslav has been doing so we know he can cancel but can he develop anything? It's still a studio so they do need to produce some content. And if they plan to have a viable streamer in the future, they need some content for it too.

I think their strategy might reach them their goal short-term but if they don't invest in anything significant, they'll fail longterm. 

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Cost-cutting has been the strategy since the deal closed. Problem is, it's basically all Zaslav has been doing so we know he can cancel but can he develop anything? It's still a studio so they do need to produce some content. And if they plan to have a viable streamer in the future, they need some content for it too.

I think their strategy might reach them their goal short-term but if they don't invest in anything significant, they'll fail longterm. 

He sure dropped Schitts Creek into the narrative a dozen times. I think his big claim to fame is he had a hit show that was cheap to make. His strategy seems to be developing half hour comedies. 

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Shadow42 said:

He sure dropped Schitts Creek into the narrative a dozen times. I think his big claim to fame is he had a hit show that was cheap to make. His strategy seems to be developing half hour comedies. 

I don't watch comedies, reality shows or anything else on the CW except The Winchesters. If this will be the fare going forward, it will be a channel I don't watch-period. But it's a real shame that Jensen created his production company just prior to all these mergers and cost cutting measures. It will probably be harder to be successful under these circumstances. 🙁

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I don't watch comedies, reality shows or anything else on the CW except The Winchesters. If this will be the fare going forward, it will be a channel I don't watch-period. But it's a real shame that Jensen created his production company just prior to all these mergers and cost cutting measures. It will probably be harder to be successful under these circumstances. 🙁

There is a silver lining to this. The Winchesters is a success by CW standards and is a top 2-3 show. When Nexstar finally ends this, it won't look like The Winchesters is a failure. It will all be chalked up as bad timing. Once it's gone, there is plenty of time for Zaslav to run his analytics and figure out a way to make money off the show. If he can marry it to the old shows syndication package, then that could lead to more in the future. It will all come down to if it makes money but Jensen will come out of this fine. It will look like he provided everything Pedowitz wanted and made it a success under those terms. Zaslav already reupped the contract with Chaos Machine so this isn't a disaster at all.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Shadow42 said:

He sure dropped Schitts Creek into the narrative a dozen times.

I watched that show once and hated it.  So it won't be hard for me to ignore the CW if that is the new direction.  I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

4 hours ago, Lastcall said:

It will all come down to if it makes money but Jensen will come out of this fine. It will look like he provided everything Pedowitz wanted and made it a success under those terms. Zaslav already reupped the contract with Chaos Machine so this isn't a disaster at all.

It's also a learning curve for producing good shows.  So in that regard, it is a win/win even if it gets canceled.  As his show got picked up and others didn't.    The show is improving, but it didn't knock it out of the park right away.  But it's a great training ground.  Just like the first play you direct may suck, it's the springboard to launch a career.

Depends on ratings and can they find some creative ways to make the show cheaper.  I think from what I read, the biggest obstacle is how much it costs to make an ep.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2022 at 8:28 AM, Shadow42 said:

Good luck with that. When Big Bang Theory was at the height of its popularity, the main cast made top dollar. Even half hour comedies that happen to get big aren't made for scale.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think one thing possibly in TW's favor is that it is produced by both WB AND CBS, so that's a split in the costs and then there is Chaos Machine who would potentially be able to bring in some of it's own financing partners if necessary.  It's not a case where ONLY CBS or ONLY WB needs to cover the costs.

I'm going to guess Walker and Superman and Lois will survive. But next season will be the last.

The CW Shake-Up: Which ‘Couple’ Shows Will Survive Next TV Season? | TVLine

The link isn't embedding for some reason but essentially, they are saying that only a couple of shows "might" survive until next season.

Edited by Casseiopeia
17 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I'm going to guess Walker and Superman and Lois will survive. But next season will be the last.

The CW Shake-Up: Which ‘Couple’ Shows Will Survive Next TV Season? | TVLine

The link isn't embedding for some reason but essentially, they are saying that only a couple of shows "might" survive until next season.

They might just string people along by saying that. Their expectations of cost vs. benefit numbers seem way out of whack, especially if in the upcoming Season and future they expect a heretofore unknown audience to suddenly show up for the same kind of cheap trash programming that one can already get on several outlets.