Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Biscuit Week

• Start Topic

The first time I heard Garibaldis referred to as a cookie was on Babylon 5, where on of the characters was named Garibaldi..after the man not the cookie. Or so they said. The second time was on the wonderful Life on Mars.

When the camera closed in on Carole crying, I was mad at Noel & Matt not doing what Mel & Sue would've done to get the cameras off the poor woman.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

Now I want some digestive biscuits. The term always sounds like they’re some sort of medicinal supplement but they go soooo well with tea.

what made Janus’s think it was a good idea to mash together his 24 biscuits into 12? I would have just baked all 24 as 24 and chosen the 12 best. Wondering whether there are producer shenanigans at work…

7 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Now I want some digestive biscuits. The term always sounds like they’re some sort of medicinal supplement but they go soooo well with tea

after the queen died I saw a recipe for supposedly her favorite dessert (something with shortbread or digestives and a chocolate filling -- no bake). Apparently it was william or harry's groom's cake, I made it. Pretty ok. I couldn't find digestives (agree with your sense of the name) but used a UK shortbread.

• Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, chaifan said:

I loved Dawn's yo-yo's.  Just from the concept drawing alone, I thought those were incredibly clever for the brief they were given.  I'm glad she got a handshake. 

I loved how eager Paul was to give her one!

On 9/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, dgpolo said:

One of the favorite things for me is when the baker is working things out in their heads, like -if I do this and this then that will happen. Some of these bakers are amazing like that. they know how the ingredients behave and can figure out what to do with them.

I feel like that's what they should be targeting with the technical, and I don't think they always do.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, Jane Tuesday said:

Janusz and his partner look like they could be twins.

I keep getting distracted because Janusz is adorable and is also a total doppleganger for my manager.  They could be twins in looks and personality.  Both are gay, giggly, kind, and have partners that resemble them.  I think it has to do with the 'happy' eyes.

• Love 5
On 9/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, SnapHappy said:

And if they were so concerned about them peeking at each other's stuff during the technical, they'd put up little partitions for privacy.  I think it's just a loosely interpreted "rule". 

But with the stations in rows, that wouldn't prevent a peek at the baker in front or behind.  I would imagine a bit of the honor system is encouraged.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 7:53 AM, Cetacean said:

Those Garibaldi cookies looked just vile to me and then Prue went and added chocolate to them.  That's an insult to good chocolate!

This American frequently has to squinch (©SSE) my face at the idea of all this fruit filling/component (ditto the meat filled challenges)* in every darn thing, lol.  Conversely, I do enjoy the occasional Newton. 🤷‍♀️

*The season they featured an eel pie bake, I nearly lost it. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Applause 2
On 9/27/2022 at 6:36 PM, LilJen said:

Now I want some digestive biscuits. The term always sounds like they’re some sort of medicinal supplement but they go soooo well with tea.

I like McVitie’s digestives with dark chocolate. I’ve found a few stores that sell them in my area of the US. 

• Like 1

Late to the party, but I just realised there was a new season!  So far, there isn't anyone I really dislike.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:43 PM, krankydoodle said:

Maybe I missed something, but it seemed like the only 3D element in Janusz's mask was the nose. It looked cool, but not really comparable to the way everyone else had shaped theirs.

His was the round, cubism mask, right?  I agree, I thought his mask was extremely simplistic compared to the others.  I don't understand how it garnered such high praise.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, Deskisamess said:

Why does Kevin look so familiar?

On 9/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, dgpolo said:

Reminds me of Simon Pegg, but then Janusz reminds me of Daniel Ryan and Syabira reminds me a bit of Debbie Chazen. It's been very odd, I keep having thinking, I've seen that person before. 

Yes!  I told my family the same thing, he looks like Simon Pegg from the Mission Impossible movies (and also Jack Quaid's dad on "The Boys").  It didn't help them any... but I am glad to see I wasn't alone.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, chaifan said:

I loved Dawn's yo-yo's.  Just from the concept drawing alone, I thought those were incredibly clever for the brief they were given.  I'm glad she got a handshake.  Maxy's were cute, but unless the taste was out of this world, I don't get the handshake for those.  Still very good, but not quite handshake worthy. 

Those were yo-yos?  Makes more sense now, I thought she (or the judges) said they were balls of yarn.

• Like 1

I have to admit, when they said “masks” for the showstopper challenge, my mind went to “How are you going to make pandemic masks interesting?!” Then they started talking about Carnival and I went “Ooooooh…” I feel sheepish now.

As soon as Maisam said she was keeping her mask relatively simple, I had her pegged for going home. I figured Rebs had saved herself with the Technical win.

• LOL 2
23 hours ago, Oosala said:

I don't do that because I'm afraid I'll get spoiled, i.e., the winner's name will be mentioned.

For anyone who's afraid to google (I don't want to be spoiled either, so I get it): This is the first site that comes up when I search "GBBO cast" and it just provides their bios, not any info about the competition itself: https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/630622-great-british-bake-off-2022-contestants-meet-the-bakers-on-the-new-series.html

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/14/2022 at 5:48 PM, janie jones said:

For anyone who's afraid to google (I don't want to be spoiled either, so I get it): This is the first site that comes up when I search "GBBO cast" and it just provides their bios, not any info about the competition itself: https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/630622-great-british-bake-off-2022-contestants-meet-the-bakers-on-the-new-series.html

A word of caution, I don't think it will be the same results for everyone.  It's that whole algorithm thing...

• Love 1