Type keyword(s) to search

The Company You Keep in the Media

• Start Topic

The Company You Keep, soon to air on ABC, is based on a Korean TV Series "My Fellow Citizens" that ran on KBS2. The Company You Keep is about a con man, Charlie, and undercover CIA officer, Emma, who have a night of passion, which  leads to love. There chosen professions are bound to lead to conflicts. Charlie tries to ramps up his “family business” so he can get out for good, while Emma is closing in on the vengeful criminal who is holding Charlie’s family's debts. The pair are forced to fess up to the lies they have told each other so that they can save themselves and their families from the disastrous consequences.

William Fichtner is Leo. A former steel worker turned grifter, Leo is a master of the sleight of hand. Cards, shell games, pick-pocketing, Leo learned the fine art of the misdirect a long time ago. A proud man who’d do anything for his family, Leo has a lifetime of regrets and soon he won’t remember any of them. In the early stage of Alzheimer’s, Leo is determined to pull off one last big score to make his family financially secure before he loses his faculties.

Sarah Wayne Callies plays Birdie, Charlie’s bossy big-sister and co-owner of the bar they run together, which also serves as a front to their illegitimate family business. A commitment-phobe with her own relationship baggage, Birdie is a single mother to a deaf daughter. An expert in all things technical, Birdie is an integral member of her family of grifters and will stop at nothing to keep them safe, even if it puts her at odds with Charlie.

Milo Ventimiglia is Charlie, a con man that comes from a long line of criminals. He is hoping for that one big score that might solve all of his and his family's problems. 

Catherine Haena Kim as Emma, the self-deprecating black sheep of an Asian American political dynasty. She never been afraid to carve her own path despite the objections of her impressive family. Sparks fly when she meets Charlie by chance in a bar, and the two wind up falling in love. But with Emma unaware that Charlie is a lifelong grifter, while he is unaware that she’s a CIA officer on the tail of the very mobster who’s blackmailing his family, they’re on a collision course that could not only ruin their relationship but the lives of their two polar-opposite families.

James Saito as Joseph aka Joe. This former Governor is the patriarch of a political dynasty considered to be the Asian American Kennedys. His son, David, is an incumbent Senator currently running for re-election. Determined to cement his family’s legacy, Joe is throwing all his resources behind David’s campaign. A loving, if at times, exacting father, Joe has a complicated relationship with his daughter Emma.

Tim Chiou plays David, Joseph’s son who is extremely close with his younger sister, Emma, who gets to see a side of David that few others do. Strategic, measured and kind, David is the golden boy of their family who bears the burden of carrying on his father’s impressive legacy. An incumbent senator running for re-election, David keeps a sense of humor despite the pressures of his campaign and the high expectations of his family.

Freda Foh Shen is Grace, Joseph’s wife and Emma and David’s mother, she can work a room like nobody’s business and is the fierce curator and protector of her family’s brand. Poised and elegant, Grace is the true diplomat of this high-profile family, especially when it comes to the fraught relationship between her husband and daughter.

Felisha Terrell plays Daphne, worldly, ambitious and, when pushed, ruthless. The enigmatic consultant to Irish mobster Brendan Maguire who quickly ascends to become the new head of the Maguire crime syndicate. Daphne will find herself at the center of Emma and Charlie’s professional collision course.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/11/07/abc-announces-2022-2023-midseason-premiere-dates-for-new-and-returning-series-340214/20221107abc03/

Thrilling heist drama "The Company You Keep," starring and executive produced by Milo Ventimiglia, debuts SUNDAY, FEB. 19,

"THE COMPANY YOU KEEP" (Series Premiere) - SUNDAY, FEB. 19 (10:00-11:00 p.m.)

A night of passion leads to love between con man Charlie and undercover CIA officer Emma, who are unknowingly on a collision course professionally. While Charlie ramps up the "family business" so he can get out for good, Emma's closing in on the vengeful criminal who holds Charlie's family debts in hand - forcing them to reckon with the lies they've told so they can save themselves and their families from disastrous consequences. The series is based on the Korean Broadcasting System series entitled "My Fellow Citizens."

"The Company You Keep" stars Milo Ventimiglia as Charlie, Catherine Haena Kim as Emma, William Fichtner as Leo, Tim Chiou as David, Freda Foh Shen as Grace, James Saito as Joseph, Sarah Wayne Callies as Birdie, Felisha Terrell as Daphne and Polly Draper as Fran.

Executive producers and co-showrunners are Julia Cohen and Phil Klemmer, Milo Ventimiglia and Russ Cundiff (DiVide Pictures), Jon M. Chu and Caitlin Foito (Electric Somewhere), Todd Harthan and Lindsay Goffman (Gratitude Productions). Deanna Harris (DiVide Pictures) is a producer.

Follow "The Company You Keep" (#TheCompanyYouKeep) on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

------

So far, I just don't know what type of tone this show is going for -- no trailer yet. I will at least check out a few episodes for Milo. (there are a couple others in the cast I like too.)

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

Teaser:

I hope we get a longer trailer later, because I'm not completely sold on this, even though I'm interested. All this said is "we have two sexy leads". (Which is fine for a teaser.)

William Fichtner is Leo Nicoletti.
FmIVCz9WQAA0Y2N?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Polly Draper is Fran Nicoletti, Charlie Nicoletti's mom.
FmIYc81XkAIDx7L?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Sarah Wayne Callies plays Birdie Nicoletti.
FmIVdioWIAM2NU1?format=jpg&name=4096x409
James Saito as Joseph aka Joe Hill. 
FmIX_z5WIAA7sP4?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Freda Foh Shen is Grace Hill.  
FmIXfU8XEA4rlo8?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Tim Chiou plays David Hill.  
FmIWGj4WYAA1q-u?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Felisha Terrell plays Daphne Finch, consultant to the Irish mobster, Brendan Maguire, who the Nicoletti Family stole 10 million dollars in cryptocurrency.
FmIWr1DWIAApt-2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

'Milo Ventimiglia & Catherine Haena Kim Tease Their Complicated Romance (VIDEO)'

------

'Sachin Bhatt To Recur In Season 1'

ABC‘s upcoming freshman series The Company You Keep has added Sachin Bhatt (Queer As Folk) in a recurring role, Deadline hears. The series premieres on February 19.

Bhatt will portray Agent Vikram Singh, an FBI agent who is considered one of the good ones. He is described as charming, witty, and handsome.

Feature on Milo Ventimiglia and the show in Emmy Magazine: https://www.emmys.com/news/features/cover-2023-01

Moreover, once The Company You Keep acquired a full season order (ten episodes) and the conversation turned to moving the production out of state, Ventimiglia says he insisted they film on the same lot in Hollywood where This Is Us was made. "They'd say, 'Hey, Mi, how do you feel about Atlanta?' 'No, let's stay in California.' 'Hey, Mi, how do you feel about Vancouver?' 'Nope, let's stay in California.' I wanted to film it at Paramount because that's where we did This Is Us. It works for my crew. The crew knows the lot — and the lot knows the crew."

• Like 1

Interview with Felisha Terrell: https://telltaletv.com/2023/05/felisha-terrell-the-company-you-keep-daphne-charlie-interview/

excerpt:

Terrell was also excited about the character, specifically, and the way that she was written. “I’m a biracial woman. I’ve never played a biracial woman in any of the work I’ve done over 14 years,” Terrell explained.

So Terrell was glad to play a character she said she could “intrinsically understand, from living in these two worlds, where you’re too much of something and not enough of another. And you never really fit in, but you have to learn how to operate and code switch to a certain degree in life.”

“And also, this character, Daphne, has so much to prove, that stems from that. So those things, I was automatically drawn to,” she continued. “In fact, the way all the women are written in this show is incredible. They’re all very strong, very capable, very driven women.”

Too bad they don't revamp the show and focus on the Nicolettis and relaunch it under a new name (something connected to grifting).  Emma left the CIA and went out on her own, so they don't even have to figure out how to writer her out-she's just out.  And I don't think anyone will miss the rest of her family.  Keep the grifters grifting and build around them-new show, better show!

• Like 7
9 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Too bad they don't revamp the show and focus on the Nicolettis and relaunch it under a new name (something connected to grifting).  Emma left the CIA and went out on her own, so they don't even have to figure out how to writer her out-she's just out.  And I don't think anyone will miss the rest of her family.  Keep the grifters grifting and build around them-new show, better show!

This would have been a much better show. All this show did was make me miss Leverage. I didn't even watch the last episode. It's been on my DVR but I realized I was dreading watching it

• Like 2

This show would have been so much better without Daphne and her family -- even if they were the tie that kept Emma and Charlie in one another's orbit. I too thought Emma and Charlie had no chemistry - I think they needed a different female lead. The Nicolettis were a fun family and I would've liked to see them continue pulling off some Robin Hood-esque capers without the confines of Daphne et al. 

• Like 4

From Primetimer: '8 TV Shows Canceled in 2023 That Were Destined for Greatness'

Most Potential to Bring Romance Back to Broadcast Dramas: The Company You Keep (ABC)

Though we can still find a great will-they/won’t-they on Abbott Elementary, the cancellation of The Company You Keep has left broadcast TV mostly bereft of head-turning romance. Unlike cable and streaming series like The Idol or Sex/Life, this ABC drama relied on the scintillating connection between its two leads, played by Catherine Haena Kim and a fully de-dead-dad-ified Milo Ventimiglia, who play a game of cat and mouse in and out of the bedroom. Watching the dynamic between con man Charlie (Ventimiglia) and straight arrow Emma (Kim) turn from strangers to lovers to quarry and hunter was more titillating than most of what's happening on shows operating free of standards and practices. Along with filling the Whiskey Cavalier-shaped hole in our hearts, this show also gave us Tony Shalhoub in a turtleneck — what more could ABC have asked for?

It did have potential to bring back romance, but I'm going to have to disagree that it was "destined for greatness". I came for the romance, but the show actually wasn't that interested in Charlie/Emma beyond "sexy" scenes, IMO. The Nicolettis were good, but that wasn't the main thing I started watching for.

• Like 3
On 6/28/2023 at 4:56 PM, AnimeMania said:

The Company You Keep will be removed from Hulu on July 1, 2023.

Ooh, too bad. I just read that Tony Shalhoub wore a turtleneck and was planning to check that out. 

I had given up after the first few episodes. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Ooh, too bad. I just read that Tony Shalhoub wore a turtleneck and was planning to check that out. 

I had given up after the first few episodes. 

There is a picture of Tony Shalhoub in a turtleneck in the Episode 10 thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1