Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: And Life Begins Right Away

I also don't understand this nonchalant attitude about Bay getting a light sentence because she's a first time offender so that somehow makes it not a big deal or something she can easily recover from.  Having a record is a big deal that will follow her for the rest of her life.

I believe 18 year old Bay would feel it's not a big deal. She's the kind of girl I could see romanticizing the experience, and deciding how it will influence her as an artist. I expect John to be very angry with Bay, Regina happy, and Katherine understanding. I imagine Emmett will be the angriest with Daphne, but because it means Bay can't go to LA, not because Bay now has a record. 

As a huge Bay fan, I want to see this somehow work out in her favor. It would be awesome if she somehow spun this all to be about her street art, and develops a huge following. Would Daphne be jealous of Bay, or pleased that she doesn't have to feel guilty? 

I imagine Emmett will be the angriest with Daphne, but because it means Bay can't go to LA, not because Bay now has a record.

You and me both. The whole LA plan was very abrupt (and, given Bay's fantasy-land "budget", far from realistic), so I never expected it to actually go through. What I found surprising was Emmett admitting to Daphne that he wouldn't want to go to USC without Bay nearby. Errr, buttercup? Tuition for USC is over $46K a year. A staggering amount of money to lose over something he doesn't even want to do. Not to mention, as KBrownie pointed out, Bay tossed aside her plans with Emmett shockingly fast in favor of bailing out Daphne. 

Sigh. So I guess next season is Bay doing community service in KC, Daphne helping Melody with her new college, Emmett pouting (yay we never get enough of that) in KC because he never really wanted to go to USC, Travis and Mary Beth also in KC, Sharee not that far in St. Louis, and basically everyone else where we left them? You couldn't have just done a 5-year time jump, could you, show?

Sigh. So I guess next season is Bay doing community service in KC, Daphne helping Melody with her new college, Emmett pouting (yay we never get enough of that) in KC because he never really wanted to go to USC, Travis and Mary Beth also in KC, Sharee not that far in St. Louis, and basically everyone else where we left them? You couldn't have just done a 5-year time jump, could you, show?

My guess is that the English teacher (Toby's friend) will also end up at Melody's new college.

I was really annoyed last week when the writers made Bay give up dressing up for her prom, so I'm not the least bit surprised they took Bay's graduation celebration away from her, too.  But, wow, Daphne has most definitely grown into being a taker, and has learned nothing about actually taking responsibility for her actions.  How she could let Bay take on the burden of being a convicted criminal for the rest of her life is beyond me. 

Toby and the teacher aren't really working for me.  I like her as a character, just not with Toby.  I'm rooting for a Toby and Sharee pairing.

Yay for Travis!  He's a good guy, so I'm glad some good things are happening for him.  I'm thrilled his mom wanted to connect with him.

• Love 1

Jesus, I wanted to smack all the adults when they were chastising the lawyer and wringing their hands. She was going to serve time because SHE IS GUILTY you freaking idiots. Actions have consequences.

And the lawyer knows what really happened. So she can't invent some story about Daphne being there at another time. It's called suborning perjury. And it's illegal.

• Love 6

I have been crying my eyes out the last 3 or 4 episodes, and show, you do this to me?  I wanted to throw my shoe at the TV.  My first thought was, what was Emmett going to do?  I mean, if he really loved her he'd be angry but also would wait for 3 months.  It's not like he would be starting school right out of High School.  I did but only one class.  Wouldn't they have a few months in the summer till the Fall Semester started?  He wouldn't need to leave right away and providing Bay did actually do the time for Daphne, 3 months isn't a big deal in terms of moving to LA and starting school.  She would just have to look for a different job there.

My big concern would be how she would be treated in prison if she has to go.  In my opinion, Bay is stunningly beautiful.  She's be treated horrifically in prison.

I hate Daphne.  I think I've hated her since Chef Jeff.  Stupid self entitled little twit.

I'm wondering how the parents would react.  Regina may scold Daphne a little but get over it pretty quickly.  She only really gets irrational when it comes to the men in her life.

Katherine will be sad and weepy and then make the best of it.

John would be furious but secretly relieved that his little red headed girl got off. 

Emmett would be crushed, and quite frankly, I think Mary Beth and Travis would be furious with Daphne.  They are more Bay's friends now.

So here's my question, show....who is going to take the rap for Daphne when she kills someone out either rage or an accident?  Will Bay have to pay for that too?  Or Regina?  Or Emmett?

I'm very close to giving up on the show entirely.

• Love 2

Biosynth said, "So here's my question, show....who is going to take the rap for Daphne when she kills someone out either rage or an accident?  Will Bay have to pay for that too?  Or Regina?  Or Emmett?"

scribe95 said, "Jesus, I wanted to smack all the adults when they were chastising the lawyer and wringing their hands. She was going to serve time because SHE IS GUILTY you freaking idiots. Actions have consequences."

Right? She's guilty. She admitted it. It sucks but she should have to pay the price. I hated that all the adults were freaking out and yelling at the lawyer like it was all some big mistake while Daphne's there crying crocodile tears. WTF?

I do think it’s an interesting twist though. Just looking at Daphne and the “good kid’ vibe she has you should like her. She just comes off as the “perfect one” so kudus to the writers for daring to make her very, very flawed.  Bay and even Toby on the other hand seem like they should be the “bad ones” but overall are pretty awesome kids. I love how loyal and considerate Bay’s grown up to be. But seriously, she didn’t get to have a prom and now her drama queen sister takes away graduation and her clean record? I know that all this was Bay’s choice but even if she hadn’t decided to take the fall, all the Daphne angst would still ruin graduation. I also don’t get why Daphne wanting to be a doctor for all of two seconds makes her future more viable than Bay’s. I’m really curious how the adults respond to what the girls did. I hope they don’t brush it off as “Thanks Bay, what a team player for our little Daphne, the doctor, you are.” I hope they all are, especially Regina, incredibly pissed off at Daphne.

Just once, Regina needs to look out for Bay over Daphne. Regina and Bay’s relationship still seems more like distant aunt/niece than mother/daughter. I especially saw this with the tentative way Bay approached Regina to ask her about having some of Angelo’s money (I fully expected Regina to say that Angelo didn’t leave Bay anything haha).

I also hope that the adults talk to Bay about her hero complex because she has an unhealthy need to take care of and “fix” everyone else, usually at her own expense. I think that’s partly due to abandonment issues from the switch and being raised by Kathryn but that’s for another post.

• Love 4

I'm rooting for a Toby and Sharee pairing.

Me too. Sharee has grown into my favorite character on the show after Bay. I was hoping that we would see her mother at graduation.

And the lawyer knows what really happened. So she can't invent some story about Daphne being there at another time. It's called suborning perjury. And it's illegal.

Well, doesn't that just mean that she can't put Daphne on the stand and have Daphne perjure herself, NOT that the defense can't make an argument to raise a reasonable doubt?   And we don't *know* that the lawyer knows what happened, we don't know that Daphne confessed to her.   They were just standing in the police station chatting under the assumption that she *was* guilty and there was absolutely no way to get her off.

But I still maintain that unless they skipped over a lot of other evidence, having her fingerprints PROVES nothing, and I'm not sure how they obtained an arrest warrant on that alone (it's the only evidence we as the audience were given as a reason).  Bring her in for questioning?  Sure thing.  Outright arrest her and have an open and shut case?  No.

I am curious to see where they go with this story though.   Both girls were stupid to be there without a lawyer, and if Bay has any sense at all, she'll have called one before starting in on that confession business.

I also hope that the adults talk to Bay about her hero complex because she has an unhealthy need to take care of and “fix” everyone else, usually at her own expense. I think that’s partly due to abandonment issues from the switch and being raised by Kathryn but that’s for another post.

I know, right? Sometimes I swear this show has the same writers as The Fosters, because their storylines are so similar so often. I was all "Go talk to Jesus about being a doormat! Send Daphne and Hailey off into the sunset!" 

Edited by stopeslite

I also don't understand this nonchalant attitude about Bay getting a light sentence because she's a first time offender so that somehow makes it not a big deal or something she can easily recover from. Having a record is a big deal that will follow her for the rest of her life.

I believe 18 year old Bay would feel it's not a big deal. She's the kind of girl I could see romanticizing the experience, and deciding how it will influence her as an artist. I expect John to be very angry with Bay, Regina happy, and Katherine understanding. I imagine Emmett will be the angriest with Daphne, but because it means Bay can't go to LA, not because Bay now has a record.

Even applications to college ask if you have a record! You cannot get any kind of Federal Financial Aid (not that these rich girls need it) and lots of scholarship are a no-go- also ANY job in your future asks and checks to see if you have a record. Even applying for a Visa -for example to live in another country, they ask for your police record. Bay will be seriously harmed by having a police record. Even someone I know years later could not become a boy scout leader cause he had a possession of pot conviction as a young adult. It's bad and she is innocent. Like so WHAT she is an artist- that is a real career and lots and lots of things she may come across in her life, having a record is going to be a liability.

• Love 4

I watched the finale again and have actually kind of come around to the whole thing. It might actually be a really interesting dynamic next season, post-Daphne getting off the hook and post-Bay getting punished? What if Bay does jail time and starts to deeply resent Daphne and regret what she did? What if Daphne unravels from the guilt and confesses? How will their parents react to this latest Kennish-Vasquez girls screw-up? I’m intrigued.

Other parts of the finale were just as good as the first time. I just watched Daphne’s graduation speech and the moment where she calls Sharee one of the best friends she’s had and Sharee tearfully signs ‘thank you’ made me go “awww” out loud.

I’ll miss this dumb show until January.

My big concern would be how she would be treated in prison if she has to go.  In my opinion, Bay is stunningly beautiful.  She's be treated horrifically in prison.

Bay would probably go to a minimum-security prison, if she doesn't end up with probation, community service, and a pretty hefty fine. Yes, the crime is serious, but she's a young, first-time offender from a wealthy family. They aren't going to put her in with the rapists and murderers.

My knowledge of minimum-security prisons comes exclusively from Orange Is the New Black, but it seems like if an inmate who committed a violent crime had a good lawyer who pleaded down their charges that inmate could potentially end up in minimum-security. Purely for the sake of drama (since I like Bay), I'd like to see Bay go to jail for 90 days or so. A DA who wants to put away a senator's daughter could find plenty of things to charge Bay with, starting with her street art, i.e. vandalism, and ending with destruction of property. Add in an unsympathetic judge and Bay's out of luck. I doubt they'd actually go there, but it'd be interesting to see how Bay changes as a result (and Daphne by extension).

Edited by CleoCaesar

Sorry, just got caught up on Netflix. So both girls are 18, right? So it's just a matter of Daphne's probation. It just sounded weird when Daphne said to Bay "you're 18, you'll get much more than probation!" Did Bay just get homesick or something? She seemed psyched about L.A. Or did Daphne's speech about "now you're the one with the perfect boyfriend" make Bay feel shameful??

• Love 1

I'd like to think that somewhere in there Bay realized that going to California with the boyfriend who treated her like crap and then cheated on her with her brother's girlfriend might not be the best plan, but I doubt the show is going for that.

• Love 3